Is it snowflakey if I play a multiclass?

Is it snowflakey if I play a multiclass?

No.

/thread

Depends on the combo. The more retarded classes you pile on, the more snowflakey it gets. Being a Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Mage or the like won't generate a blink, but being Mage/Cockomancer/Master of the Twin Balls/ArchFaggot will earn you nothing but scorn.

Red Mage has never been a good Job in any of the Final Fantasy's. Their outfits are so dope, though.

Hey now, leave phallomancy out of this. It's a perfectly respectable school of magic.

Not really as it is possible to play a character who is conceptually one thing even if mechanically they are another.

>will earn you nothing but scorn

I wouldn't give a fuck if their class picks made sense with their characters' story. Not every character in a group has to be effective at combat.

Except for any game where they were the class giving access to DualCast. That's a pretty big oversight user.

t. Mage/Cockomancer/Master of the Twin Balls/ArchFaggot

When trying to figure out if something is snowflakey, or a mary-sue quality, ask yourself these questions:
>Does it come up often?
>If so, is it relevant?

For example, let's say your character is a half-dragon. Is this a snowflake? Well what if the story is about creating peace between the dragons and humans?

Also, multiclassing is just mechanics. It's the fluff that makes the flake.

Meh, their lack of access to higher level spells is too much of a handicap IMO.

DualCast WAS pretty awesome in FFTA though.

All PCs are exceptional people. Trying too hard to be unexceptional is more obnoxious if anything.

Hey, I worked hard for those titles!

And a key component of FFV gameplay. Funnily enough this 'hybrid class' concept is like the king of combinations with other classes' abilities. You want to Dualcast your summons and time magic, who even cares what the Red list is. Red mages are for multiclassing.

Character levels are a gameplay abstraction.

You're not a Paladin who also went to Sorcerer school and then spent time at the Bard's academy; you're a Paladin who dabbled with magic and learned to play the didgeridoo.

The only character level you should be expected to rationalize is your first; because that level is what represents the training your character has received insofar to warrant being more than a mook with a sword or a scroll.

FFXI player here. Reds were fucking phenomenal solo classes, especially if you subclassed Ninja. The only thing that matched or exceeded them in that area were Blue/Ninja builds, because of actual AoE spells like Bad Breath.

>Current year
>Playing class-based game

No, but I find that "Does he get pissy when people multi-class" is a good dumbass detector.

Only if it doesn't fit the character

This; the whole point of Red Mages has always been "The Mage who can handle his own shit", even back in the days of FFI; where having not having access to NUKE and LIF2 didn't matter when you were dealing out decent enough damage with your attacks to make sure you don't HAVE to yank out the Lv 8 spells in battle just to make a difference.

Seeing Veeky Forums discuss Red Mage makes me nostalgic for 8-bit Theater

Not if it is sensible.
Being a Fighter who dips Cleric because he realized jesus loves him isn't snowflakey, nor is being a Wizard who who becomes an Archmage of Electricity, assuming the wizard had some pre-hand focus on Electricity.
A Barbarian who grabs a level in sorcerer, a level in cleric, and a level in ranger for some reason is pretty snowflakey.

One of the best Parties you could run in FF1 is Knight and 3 Red Mages.

I could see a barbarian + ranger multi being viable if you were going for the full outdoorsman package. Actually it could be a very viable build for a melee ranger.

what
said, as long as it makes sense in the narrative, it's fine.

Red Mages were qts in the Tactics Advance games.

As for actual dual-class, I really liked Summoner/Spellblade for Blood Price Summnons and Ranger/Berserker for Mirror Items + actual good combat stats. Red Mage/Summoner was good in the first game because the way MP worked was borked in that one.

I'm considering dual-classing as a Sorcerer/Bard?
how special snowfliakish is that?

Stop asking if something makes you a special snowflake. Are you an adventurer? Congratulations, you're a special snowflake, because normal people don't kill monsters for money and traipse through dungeons in iron bikinis. Are you not an adventurer? Congratulations, you're a special snowflake because you're the only one in the party who isn't.

For frame of reference, Godsatan the Angeldemon is just as bad as Bill the Male Human Sword-and-Board Fighter. One is trying way too fucking hard to stand out, and the other is trying way too fucking hard to be as utterly bland as possible.

>Implying sword-and-board fighters are the norm outside of concept art

I didn't say normal, I said bland.

Character class is nothing but a themed collection of character abilities. Singleclassing is no more legitimate than multiclassing.

Just pick the abilities you want, build an effective character, and come up with a character concept that matches up with the abilities you took.

From a personal example.
>Start out as normie human in moderate magic campaign, early black-powder availability.
>Short nerdy kid, started as scribe but picked up tools and tinkering from dwarven expats.
>Want to make it as a tinker, take up faith in following The Forgelord, a dwarf deity of smithing, knowledge, technology.
>Starting to get that black-powder weapon idea, but prototype is still in the works when a mercinary group comes through.
>Dedication to the Forgelord rewarded him with actual divine insights and gifts, sign on as medic and field repair guy.
>Gain experience with group, make friends, meet new folks, go on adventures, eventually wind up serving the crown on some jobs.
>pick up a little arcane learning to help in craftsmanship, gun shoots spells now too.
>Adventures start getting surreal, weird shit about world's history. Weirder shit takes out a couple of those friends, start trying to be a little sharper, a little more aware, practice fighting a bit with team-mates in case gun jams or warriors get caught off guard.
>Months go on, then years. Styles blend a bit, faith becomes a rock to stand on in a world growing tumultuous.
>Find strange wizard outside of the world as we knew it, get nifty artifact potion that blends arcane and divine potential.
>Now returned to the world from strange world-hop and setting up a home and base in the place we'd set aside from our conquests. We'll see where it goes.

1: Cleric 1 (PF)
2: Gunslinger 1
3: Cleric 2
4: Cleric 3
5: Spellslinger 1
6: Cleric 4
7: Cleric 5
8: Monk (sensei) 1
9: Cleric 6
10: Cleric 7
11: Holy Vindicator 1
12: Holy Vindicator 2
13: Holy Vindicator 3
14: Abjurant Champion 1
15: Abjurant Champion 2
16: Abjurant Champion 3
17: Abjurant Champion 4

At the end of the day, it all lends into being a gun-using cleric; ranged combatant and healing support.

>Multiclassing is just mechanics. It's the fluff that makes the flake.

So much this.

Classes are so restrictive and confining I would wonder how you managed to make a character instead of a carboard cut out without some sort of multiclassing

Red Mages are always great, especially tactics because of bunny girls

They were better in groups than solo. Refresh + debuffs + healing + dualcast. Red mages were fucking awesome, almost as awesome as bards #bardMasterrace