Iron Claw General

My wife wants me to run Iron Claw, what do? edition.

Iron Claw General. Also, never played/ran Iron Claw and my SO is curious. What the fuck do I do, anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1488618554
flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an RPG made for furries, it's not a bad system, unlike most furry works it's competently written and thought out so you shouldn't have much problem with it.

Just read the book, it gives you enough information about the game system and the tribes of the setting to do your own shit. Come back when you have a better question then "lol wat do?"

Get a divorce, that's what you do.

2nd edition.
Combat should be sparse and dire as Irowclaw combat is decently deadly.
Yada yada furries.

Funfact: A bunch of the cringy art in the book is done by Tracy Butler of Lackadaisy fame, but before she got gud.

IronClaw is a solid system under the furry art and inspiration. Ask her what kind of game she wants, read the rulebook and run the game. Seems simple enough.

Read through 2nd edition, and then look over the sample adventure that's in the back of the Host's Book (which is already incorporated into the book if you're getting the "complete" version, Squaring the Circle). Ironclaw has a fairly involved setting and worldbuilding, so it may just be easier for you to toss aside the lore and base the adventure off of some preexisting anthropomorphic setting (Redwall, Robin Hood, etc.).

Also, I'd recommend using the pregenerated characters for the first session or two. The system is pretty flexible for how you can build your PC, so if you give free reign to newbies they're probably going to get overwhelmed with the options. Just pick a few of the pregens and make sure to read up on what the Gifts for each one do.

Many thanks, anons.

Get her a buttplug tail and go at her.

One thing that I've seen confuse people regularly, especially if they have only skimmed the rules. is Ironclaws damage system. What you need to remember is: There are no hitpoints. You calculate the total amount of damage a target receives and apply all statuses of equal or lesser damage amounts.

If the target is already suffering from one of those statuses, it doesn't get worse. If they are already suffering from all of them, then nothing happens.

Did anyone ever manage to get their hands on Urban Jungle?

Huh. Lackadaisy the rpg. Didn't even know that existed.

Try it. No matter what your stand on furries is, it's a decent game with an original and well-done setting. I enjoyed the character creation, combat and magic system. I don't remember about skill checks or social mechanics, but the game did renaissance intrigue well.
I haven't played the latest edition, so I can't tell you how different/good it is.

Combat's pretty fucking deadly. Running should be an option for PCs and NPCs alike. Have fun, OP! Ask her what her fursona is, too.

She already has four.

Jesus fuck that is a nasty death spiral. Took a hit but no damage? You get easier to hit and lose defense options until you spend your action recovering. Even single points of damage rapidly scale into Dead. Good luck ever acting again at all.

The system is pretty gritty, but combat and tank builds are perfectly viable, and most of the time the PCs will have the advantage on the enemy.
Personally I like it, it's quite tactical and lethal.

Also counter is basically "russian roulette - melee edition", so if you're already in a difficult position it maybe best not to use it anyways.
And you get two actions a turn, so Reeling still allows you to perform one action when your turn comes (and after that you're back to 2 actions / turn unless you're hit again)

Besides, keep in mind that since statuses don't stack, removing the additional damage would mean that people would bash ineffectively at each other until someone scores a lucky crit and kills the other in one blow.

And just ordered the hard copy.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention user.

uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1488618554

Enjoy!

Every furry rpg I've played so far (Albedo, Furry Pirates and Ironclaw) had an interesting system and no magical realm.
One Albedo adventure had a stress-induced estrus, but it was played as really inconvenient rather than arousing, since it threw a spanner in an already existing relationship, and meant that every dog-man on a derelict space ship suddently was more interested in sex than in doing daily tasks necessary for survival.

I suppose you could find some obscure self-published erotic furry rpg with typos everywhere, but even pro-furry publishers will have some standards if they want to survive.

Never played the game, but I've always figured that that fact that Veeky Forums actually has decent discusions about a something that's basicaly "Furries: The Role-Playing Game" without disolving into "furfags REEEEEE" means it must be a pretty well written game.

Not , but that user has a pretty good point. More often than not "furry rpgs" tend to be surprisingly well written with very minimal amounts of magical realm stuff. I remember reading through a PDF of a game literally called "Furry Pirates" and apart from the anthropomorphic animals you'd never know otherwise. It was simply a pretty in-depth system about 18th century piracy.

The only real offenders of furry smut in tabletop seem to mainly come from third-party supplements, like that "Fursona" book for Pathfinder which actually DOES focus mainly on the smut and the /d/eviancy of the fandom. Of course that's not all that surprising given how little quality control exists for third-party material, but if it's an actual company trying to get their material public exposure like Sanguine Games they definitely try to reign it in more.

>Furry Pirates
oh god I'm dying

Enjoy.

>Albedo
Did you get to run the older 2nd edition, or the Sanguine edition? They're really different but there might be like three people on the planet that ran both.

I really want to run it since the guy is finally uploading the comic. I think he's nearing the end of the first volume. It's one of the more interesting science fiction settings I've read about.

>reign it in more.

Rein it in. As in the leather leads used to regain control of a horse that's running off with you. By contrast, a king reigns over his country, he doesn't "reign it."

>swashbuckling adventures in the furry age of piratry.

On a sidenote, I recommend Albedo to anyone interested in military and/or hard sci-fi. I've never crossed another rpg that rendered tactical scale encounters, horrors of war and bureaucracy so well.
Awww, the cute rabbit has booby-trapped the civilians and is surrendering aften shooting two of our squadmates.

But if we're specifically talking about a system that involves nobility and feudalism, couldn't "reign" be seen as a clever play on words?
I can't lie, though. It WAS just an honest mistake.

Fursona for Pathfinder is hardly obscure. It was even featured as the splat of the month in their online magazine when it came out.

>splat of the month in their online magazine

How many splats did it beat out for that position? That doesn't sound that impressive, unless they publish like 30 splats a month.

>How many splats did it beat out for that position?
This whole sentence is a riot.

2nd edition.
I should give Platinium Catalyst a go someday, I have all the pdfs for the three editions except for the stuff that was published in magazines like Vortext.

>Throwing out absolute fetish shit that can trivialize a type of encounter.

Absolutely disgusting, post some more.

While we're on the topic of furries, what exactly is it about anthropomorphic animals that attract the autistic/mentally ill?

>This whole sentence is a riot.

I did not even realize what it sounded like as I wrote it.

This is a surprisingly calm thread, considering how Veeky Forums is towards anything remotely furry.
Congrats.

i like how the combat works , but the furry thing scares me off, maybe i will read one day while drunk

t. furry autist

You're still not welcome here, no matter how civil this thread is

Are you fucking kidding me? I despise furries, hate them with a fucking fury.

I'm just mature about it.

The proportion of assholes is relatively constant in any sizeable human group, but the vocal minority becomes way more recognizable and far harder to ignore when it dresses in fursuits.
Good luck recognizing a rpg aimed at foot fetishits. Shoes don't exist in Dark Sun but nobody accuses the setting of magical realming.

Add penetration of anthro animals via tons of fictional works (fables, old cartoons,...), their use in artwork (easy, distinguishable and expressive), the counterculture aspect, the interests that helped propagate the furry (internet, rpgs, /co/ stuff), and you got something that has momentum and often crosses paths with Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums.
And a bigger population means more retards and crazies.
Think about MLP. This was only one single cartoon. Furries had decades and tons of works under their belt.

Back on topic, Avoirdupois is best house, with Bisclavret close second.

What the actual fuck. Fucking Pathfinder man.

Thanks so much, man. I hear good things about Ironclaw on Veeky Forums and I love me some noir but I can't buy games without seeing them first.

I'm not liking how the art style changes constantly. and the pictures for each skill are cringeworthy (lolcats were never funny).

Damn. This is actually really cool.

Just to note, while the Ironclaw covers may always be terrible, the 2nd edition has interior art by Chris Goodwin and it's GREAT. Cool looking anthros, age-of-exploration style.

More examples.

I really dislike when a rpg book doesn't have a coherent artstyle.
And why would you put the ugly art on the front and back of the book, and the good illustrations in the middle so that people will have put the book back on the shelves before they reach it?

Gallery with Goodwin's art on the book:
flickr.com/photos/eselkunst/sets/72157623388958572/

It tends to be a difference between a RPG Maker who's also a furry, and a furry who wants to make an RPG.

An RPG Maker will try and keep things objective, as he's more focused on making a game with a good world and mechanics. These games are accessable to even those who aren't furries.

A furry who wants to make an RPG will try and cram all the dumb shit of the furry fandom in there. These RPGs are major turn offs as their lore is badly written and game mechanics range from bad to strait up magical realm.

Isn't that just a difference of end result?
Intelligent/talented people will make good games, unexperienced/stupid people will make not so good ones.
For those of us that tried to homebrew, our early creations and our current ones are different even if there isn't a change in our goals.

For example, the Albedo and Endtown rpgs, both of which are decent games, were made with the setting in mind first.
Some guy read the comic, thought "This is really cool, I want to have adventures in that setting, let's make a game based upon it"
It wasn't a rpg creator going "I'm gonna make a d12-based classless game... hmm, anthros are cool, I should put some in".

The base material being quite good and not fetishy in its own right also helps, I guess.

someone post iron claw pdf

bamp

>I really dislike when a rpg book doesn't have a coherent artstyle.
100% this. Amongst other things it's jarring, especially when some of it looks like it was pulled from a 16 year olds deviantart.

You can go ahead and play yourself with this wonderful template.

You, my good sir, are a star of rocks.

The moral of this thread: Pathfinder manages to do Furries worse than an actual Furry rpg.

How, these assholes didn't even try to make a cohesive self contained setting did they?

>What's that? You heard we're playing a fantasy game and you want to play yourself? Not just a character based on yourself, but you transported from Earth? Sure, no problem!

Ten (You)'s say that these cunts immediately try to invent gun powder.

I'm not sure if Pathfinder can do anything better than any other RPG, other than allowing for a lot of theorycrafting.

Kinda reminds me of M&M3's damage rules.

Don't be scared. Despite the fact that the creators have pandered somewhat to the furry community personally, the game itself is no more "furry" than Bugs Bunny or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

People need to remember that despite how the REEEEEEEE!!! crowd makes it seem, the original incarnations of a lot of these games are older than the furry phenomenon. A lot older in some cases. They're not "furry", they're just anthropomorphic, and that's a huge difference

what is theorycrafting?

wow that's actually a super adorable art style, feels more at home in a children's book then an RPG.

A stat me thread where we actually do statting, instead of using them as an excuse to talk about whatever show or character in order to maintain the mantra of "Everything can become Veeky Forums related if posted in the right manner."

Blue skying about how rules might work in a hypothetical sense. The "peasant railgun" is theorycrafting, as is Pun-pun, and a lot of other ridiculous stuff that would never actually fly at a real table run by real people.
Often done by rules lawyers and autists who live to minmax and exploit rules, often by twisting them to very weird, specific interpretations that no sane person would use, in order to prove some point or squeeze a little extra power for their characters.

Theorycrafting isn't all bad though. MTG Deckbuilding discussions are essentially theorycrafting at its core. Discussing the Metagame is half of traditional games. It's also why people post OverMeme on here all the time, it's got interesting characters with a good meta-chemistry that is pure crack for skirmish wargamers.

The trouble comes when it starts getting in the way of narrative, storyline and role-playing(AKA the motive behind most RPGs and why most people GM) It's two good flavors that don't mix well, one always overpowers the other.

Yeah, it's fine in stuff like MtG, but I don't think it really has a place in RPGs where the rules are supposed to be interpreted and managed by a human being who is presumably intelligent and a friend, or at least an acquaintance you trust, and where the game is supposed to be cooperative rather than competitive.

Well... I'm inclined to disagree to some extent. In a cooperative game the meta changes from "how to I win" to "how do we achieve perfect party cohesion, utility, and effectiveness." However when people are trying to still "win" it causes problems.

Even if you're a Roleplayer, you do it to some extent anyway. "Who's the healer, do we have a tank? What about a party face?" It's less about optimizing, but it's still working to create an effective and competent team by serving specific roles.

Hey, that's pretty specialized, you gotta admit.

>Pandas
>Eucalyptus

>panda
>eucalyptus leaves
Oh great, so the game was made by retarded poeple

I just started reading Urban Jungle and seen this in the credits-
>The X-Card is ©2013 John Stavropoulus
and is used under Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
(CC BY-SA 3.0) License
Make of it what you will. Are there different furry communities or are they all partially/mostly retarded?

And neither eucalyptus nor bamboo are actually rare in the environment where the herbivore specialized to feed on them lives.

I'm not really a fan of dice pools that use different dice sizes. The blend of traditional rolling (whoever rolls highest) and counting successes also discourages me to be honest.

check da archive in the pdf share thread.

> You get easier to hit and lose defense options until you spend your action recovering.
Unless you have a party member rally you. It's easy to build a character whose main job is to spend one action removing reeling from the rest of the party each round, so they all get both their actions. If they have white magic, they can remove hurt at the same time they remove reeling. Though they probably won't get enough successes to do both to everybody.

>Even single points of damage rapidly scale into Dead.

It takes two points of damage to spiral into dead. If you keep being hit for 1 damage (after soak*, before modifiers from hurt/injured), you won't get any worse than hurt, afraid and reeling.

If you keep getting hit for two damage (after soak, before hurt/injured) you'll only survive three hits.

There are no reliable ways to deal only one damage to a target as reeling means they get an extra die to roll when attacking you, so they will have at least two. Each die can score a success. Each success is usually + 1 damage, sometimes more.

*Everyone gets to roll their body die for soak. If you've got armor, that's an extra die or two. Some gifts let you also roll other soak dice. Each die showing a 4 or higher reduces damage by one.

Good thing PCs start with one save gift (prevent from dying once every so often) and can pick up others like disarming save (prevent death, drop weapon) or dishelving save (prevent death, armor breaks)

Does Ironcalw have some adventure books, or is it just the core book with the rules?

was the book for that one ever leaked?

Curious about this too. The link to Urban Jungle worked, but it would be nice to have a copy of core.

The book of adventures has art by Mamabliss, of all people.
I can understand overlooking someone's fetishes, but he can't draw a decent, clear picture.

It's got at least two(?) adventure books IIRC. The art in all the books after core are so much better it's kind of sad.

Jadeclaw is better.

Furry here. I love Ironclaw because not only is the world legit fleshed out, you can ride dinosaurs.

You should check up Glorantha and HeroQuest.

That one looks really fucking cool, i'm going to keep that one just in case i ever play in a setting with rat-folk and pirates

I mean, you can ride dinosaurs in just about any ruleset. But yeah, dinosaurs are awesome.

Ironclaw is one of those furry things that makes you go, "Okay, neat. Why did this have to be furry again?"

It works as a decent system on its own; it seems like it would have made more sense to make it into a regular system and then release a furry sourcebook or something.

That actually looks a lot more interesting than Ironclaw, and with the furry a lot more appropriate.

Buy her a tail butt plug.

I think the first edition had a semi-official supplement for the people who don't like cartoon animals-had the usual fantasy stuff, elves, dwarves, orcs, etc. Not sure if the second edition ever got one, though.

I've played a oneshot of it before; seems perfectly fine, so long as people don't get weird about it. Some of the art's cringey, though.

>Okay, neat. Why did this have to be furry again?
It technically doesn't NEED to be furry, but the mechanics of Ironclaw are pretty well woven together with the lore in a way that just seems to work. You have a trait die specifically related to your Species, signifying how human or animalistic you are. Then you have Atavisms and Druidic magic which are heavily linked to societies that are more feral. Then you have the various houses which are almost entirely sorted by species. These are things that could technically be refluffed with more generic Tolkien races, but you'd be losing a lot of the civil-versus-feral dynamic and natural speciesism that exists in the setting.

A lot of their other games follow a similar design template. Myriad Song uses almost the exact same mechanics as Ironclaw, though it's a more sci-fi oriented setting for space exploration (so your Species is now your Legacy to reflect your alien heritage). Again, not a big deal to transplant the rules to a different setting, but it would still mean losing some of that system flavor.

>Why did this have to be furry again?

An enduring philosophical question.

I kid, I kid.