L5R

So...which clan is best and why is it Mantis?

Other urls found in this thread:

johnwickpresents.com/books/blood-honor/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have fun being left out of the new LCG

First of all, I believe you mean "Scorpion".
Second off, you didn't hear this from me, but apparently there is a Crane breeding program where they are having other clans sample their women. It's because their family trees have so far gone around in concentric circles.

Kinda wish i was kidding...

>tfw you're Phoenix 4lyfe, but you know your clan only ever fails to do anything that matters, or when they do, they fuck it up and something terrible happens.
Jesus, it's like occupying a clan of idiots in a Lovecraft story. "I'll just use the forbidden knowledge this ONE time, there's no way this could backfire like the last 200 times someone did this."

Wha...? Are they resetting the story from the beginning? I can understand getting rid of the Spider, but the Mantis?

At least you're not Lion.

>No Spider
Good.

Is that happening? That kinda sucks.

Mantis pissed off a lot of people by grabbing all of those distinct minor clans and turning them into slightly themed Yoritomo. They might be rolling it back to minor clan/MC Alliance.

I could never be lion. ugh.

>tfw your waifu gets experienced and you're no longer good enough for her

>tfw no Mantis
>tfw no Wasp bounty hunters
>tfw Based Crab is still there.

Well, 1 out of three isn't horrible.

That is a strange way to spell Crane.

Scorpion courtesans are the only people in the empire known to seduce Unicorn war dogs.

I wonder if we'll see more genzoman art?

I kinda doubt it. Genzo art doesn't seem like it would fit FFG's style, and isn't accurate to the setting anyway. As over the top as Rokugan can be, it's not quite Genzoman levels.

Fair enough.

As an aside note, anyone have ideas on which direction they're taking the storyline, besides the travesty above?

Shit Gaijin, no Spider I appreciate.
But no Mantis? I'd just started to like them.

>So...which clan is best and why is it Mantis?
Because you hate minor clans and want to turn them into clones of your 20 best pirates.

>tfw no Mantis
>tfw no Wasp bounty hunters
You do realise these were things before they became a great clan, right?

>Kaimetsu-Uo renounced his status as a Crab and departed to find his own destiny, taking with him a dozen samurai who were sworn as his personal vassals. They sailed west, leaving the Empire behind, and eventually landed on what would become the Isles of Silk and Spice, then an untamed and unknown wilderness. There they settled and built a small town, a tall palace on a rocky ledge, and a port to trade with the mainland. In time, this first settlement would become the City of Lightning, one of the two largest Mantis holdings.

That happened some time around year friggin 80.

>During the early days of the Tsuruchi family when they were known simply as the Wasp Clan, the vassals of Tsuruchi were well known for two things: their incredible skill at archery and their unwavering tenacity as bounty hunters.

More recent, but still going to be part of the setting.

So it still remains unclear if they are rebooting preday of thunder or if they are picking a new spot to go with the story, but Mantis and Spider are not starter factions. However they did mention a shadowlands keyword, a monk keyword, and ninja keyword. but no plans to make them their own factions yet

Hopefully we'll find out more at Gama. I'll let you guys know what I find out in Vegas

Spider gone is good. Hopefully Mantis being gone means they aren't a Great Clan and instead the head of a Yoritomo's Alliance style conglomeration of Minor Clans.

Far as I can tell, we don't know if it means Spider have been relegated to non-playable status or if the timelline has been advanced or reverted to a point where they either don't exist or aren't playable.

>So...which clan is best and why is it Mantis?

What is so good in the Mantis? They are essentially the Unicorn but with ships instead of horses. Their only original thing is that they had some cool characters like pic related.

So I've just decided that my next character will be a naginata-wielding lady with i-frame dodging, poke attacks, and zoning. I happen to have plenty of xp for this character, so what to do? What School? Any good katas for this fighting style? Anything else I should know other than I will most likely suck ass?

>i-frame dodging, poke attacks, and zoning
Wat.

>What School? Any good katas for this fighting style?
Read. The. Core. Book. Motherfucker. Kata. Section.

>i-frame dodging, poke attacks, and zoning
>Wat.

High Armor TN / Defense Skill based... well, defense, attacks with long reach, and area attacks that restrain enemy movement.

>Read. The. Core. Book. Motherfucker. Kata. Section.

Been there, done that, had no idea what I was looking for. I just hope someone knows more about naginata characters and has a good build for them. I mean, my whole knowledge about this kind of build is that the Polearms Rank 5 Mastery Ability is kinda-sorta ok.

>Been there, done that, had no idea what I was looking for
Naginata are polearms, so you're looking for any kata that mention polearms. From there, you're looking at any school that can take any kata that mention polearms.

Go!

There are rumors from some French convention that it'll be a full reboot, but I'm not convinced they're trustworthy rumors. I think it's the same place that the box picture showed up. Personally, I'm hoping they reboot back to somewhere in the Hantei dynasty, and focus on smaller scale events instead of redoing the Clan War and keeping focus on ridiculously threatening the empire as a whole.

it was the asmodee game/trade show. new news coming from Gama in Vegas in like 2 weeks

The endless string of THIS WILL END ALL THINGS, MINUTES TO MIDNIIIIIGHT!!!! bullshit got old quick, Day of Thunder was good... if a bit too intense to be done that early (though to be fair they didn't know if the game was going to last). But to keep raising the stakes, over, and over, and over and over...

I like the Lion. Imagine some Matsu chick dominating you during sex.

>Matsu chick dominating you during sex

Pfffff... She would break down crying and commit sudoku because she couldn't choose between ribbed and strawberry condom. Matsu bravado only lasts until the first complication, no matter how obvious or minor it is.

I once played a Matsu in the RPG, but we also were given some freedom so I had some fun because I played her as an very attypical Lion mother that had to raise her daughter alone because her husband was dead (who was ironically a Phoenix). Which is rare because Lion kids are usualy raised by someone else than the parents.
I think the Lion clan is fun to play if you nuance them a little bit.

>Posts anime
>Doesn't know what i-frame dodging is

>Pfffff... She would break down crying and commit sudoku because she couldn't choose between ribbed and strawberry condom
>Thinking Matsu would not choose 'honourable'

Dammit I need more INFO FFG WHYYYY!?!?!

>can't recognise trying to direct someone into answering their own questions
>thinks i-frame dodging, etc is a valid way to talk about l5r techniques
Stay mad, user-kun.

Okay, Veeky Forums. Tell me your hopes for the next edition of the RPG.

>Will FFG do the stupid dice thing like they did for Star Wars?
>Will they remove R&K?
>What should they keep in the books?

>>Will FFG do the stupid dice thing like they did for Star Wars?
Nope.
>>Will they remove R&K?
Nope.
>>What should they keep in the books?
In general terms? Everything.

I would like to see weapons given the same default damage roll, with weapon bonuses, skill masteries, and techniques used to differentiate them. That's pretty much where 4e was heading anyway, except for the fact it left a pile of mangled and useless weapon statlines in its' wake.

>However they did mention a shadowlands keyword, a monk keyword, and ninja keyword. but no plans to make them their own factions yet

Which might just be them saying that the Crab will have tainted things, Dragon will have Monks and Scorpion will have Ninja.

A reboot does even mean that Spider, Mantis and other things are permanently gone.

Someone should make a Legend of the Five Rings type of setting for Africa or the Americas.

>A reboot does even mean that Spider, Mantis and other things are permanently gone.
No shit.

Now point to an FFG official representative saying 'reboot'.

Damn it, typo-ed that. It should have been "...doesn't even mean..."

This was include in reference to the picture in >"Terra Ludica: Pour l'histoire ils font un reboot via le JDR. Donc on oublie tous les chemins pris par la V1 sur la storyline."

reportedly this Google translates to:

>"Terra Ludica: For the story they make a reboot via the JDR. So we forget all the paths taken by the V1 on the storyline."

JDR = RPG

>Damn it, typo-ed that. It should have been "...doesn't even mean..."
... That would make more sense.

Someone explain what this means to someone who has never heard of this game but thinks it looks cool?

Are they rebooting it and leaving out some faction or something?

Legend of the 5 Rings is a long running IP originally based around a CCG. It focused around the conflicts between a group of samurai clans in the lands of a pseudo-Japan name Rokugan.

In 2015 Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) bought the entire L5R IP from Alderac Entertainment Group (AEG). At the time of the sale their were 9 great clan factions: Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Mantis, Phoenix, Scorpion, Spider and Unicorn.

The picture in taken at the FFG booth at a French gaming convention seems to be announcing the LCG relaunch. The 7 circular icons (known as "mons") are (from left to right top to bottom) the ones for the Crane, Crab, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion and Unicorn. Two clan's mons (Mantis and Spider) are missing. The quote I put in says that the poster of the image was told that they are rebooting the story so we can forget all the story paths the previous version went through.

>can't recognise trying to direct someone into answering their own questions

We aren't RPing Togashi Monks here, user.

Of course, spoonfeeding-kun. In the future, I'll strive to follow your shining honurabu example.

Or, yknow, not.

Guy wants a school and kata to use a naginata, doesn't know shit about schools, shit about kata, or shit about polearms? Read, nigga, read. Has to happen sooner or later. Naginata is a polearm, you already read the kata, and the correct kata will point to the school(s) you want.*

*by "you", I don't mean you, spoonfeeding-kun.

>no mantis as a great clan
>no spider as a great clan
Good, but for those of you who are concerned, i'm sure the fanboys will ensure something equally retarded becomes a great clan within a few years, like the Dog or Hammershark clan

Best clan is obviously the Dragon clan. Best family of best clan is Mirumoto family.

>Guy wants a school and kata to use a naginata, doesn't know shit about schools, shit about kata, or shit about polearms?

user from here. I know all the schools and kata, I just don't know which one fits for a naginata-centered passive-aggressive character. Lion Elite Spearman looks shit because R2 and R3 is an utter waste of technique for me, and there are no good alternate paths. Shiba Bushi (with Provincial Guard for R2) is... ok I guess, but I don't want to limit my playstyle with Void eco. Akodo Bushi is close, but lacks I-frame dodging. Yoritomo Bushi with Veiled Menace is oddly enough the best I could think of, but Mantis is 'meh' and everything else other than the techniques are shit.

So yeah, I'm kinda-sorta expecting some sort of spoonfeeding here, because I can't really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Even tho I'm the guy who made a fuckin war fan bushi work.

>I know all the schools and kata
Doesn't sound like you've read the core book kata yet to me, otherwise you'd be able to come back with something specific to polearms, and the schools it works with.

In any case, I'm going to say ... Shinjo Bushi.

crane... 1 ... 2... 3.... shouts to ya face
also: who needs clans if you can play a thunder deck kek
oh wait i´m a lil late to the party i guess heh?

>you'd be able to come back with something specific to polearms, and the schools it works with

That's my problem. Nothing works with polearms. The polearm-specific katas are all shit (well, the single one in the core book), and there are no schools that boost my polearm needs. I thought someone would be smarter, but apparently, nobody could make a naginata character work and the answer to my question is effectively "take whatever you want and use a naginata with it".

It's kinda sad, but hey, I would lie if I said that I had high expectations.

>Shinjo Bushi

I want a little more offensive power than that.

>I want a little more offensive power than that.
Not a whole lot of choice, given the extensive requirements you've put down.

>The polearm-specific katas are all shit (well, the single one in the core book)
Nah, bruh. That's just you.

No spider no buy

So long, and thanks for all the taint.

Luckily for me, my GM is abandoning his idea to run a 4th edition game. Looks like everyone in the party is thinking about odd character conceptions, not just me.

I don't understand why would you play L5R if you're gonna play Mantis.

Utaku Mounted Infantry; chosen weapon: Polearms.

Thats a weird way to spell Oriole.

Now this is a good tip... I totally forgot that the UMI can spec to polearms too. Thanks user.

>i-frame dodging
seriously? how do you sleep at night, knowing that you're the trash of the internet

I drink a cup of Wardenfag tears before going to sleep.

HAHA, GET FUCKED MANTIS

HERP DERP ILL HOLD THE EMPIRE HOSTAGE IN ITS HOUR OF NEED AND THERE WILL BE NO CONSEQUENCES LMAO

JUST A WORSE KNOCKOFF OF TORTOISE

SUCK IT

Consequences are for normal people, not Yoritomo (Mighty is he).

>ninja keyword.
Silly user, ninja don't exi

I've heard that Mantis is the obnoxious developer favorite faction.

They aren't really obnoxious... just feel redundant and forced. Mantis stuff tends to be pretty good (their fics are surprisingly high quality when compared to other L5R stories), but somewhat... I dunno how to put it... tiring because nobody is 100% sure whether we ->need

They might have been at one point, but the marketing department forced the Spider to the front.
The Mantis have a terrible start (In that they got everything they ever wanted at the expense of everyone else and got away with it), but a few eras in and they're tolerable as a clan. It still sucks that they snatched up all of those minor clan.

Played the game about 4 times, 3 different groups. Never had any fun. Whats with this game and no fun allowed must be 100% historically accurate weebs?

I always felt that people enjoyed complaining about the Mantis more than they actually disliked them.

Nobody knows, since the game hasn't billed itself as historically accurate for over 2 decades.

The setting brings this out from people. Try to find a group that goes maximum OC donut steel.

Yeah, this is certainly the case, especially latter into the game.

Good, the Spider are cancer.

Just use Otaku Mounted Infantry school. Sure, it takes a while before it gets going but when it does it does. Another thing you want is any kata that boosts Initiative and the Quick advantage so you can stance dance.

This basically requires that you go ahead of your opponent to work, hence why I recommend going as high as possible on initiative. On your first turn you adopt the Full Defense stance to prevent yourself from getting hit. On your next turn you delay your turn until all opponents have gone first, and then attack in Full Attack. next turn you don't delay and go back into Full Defense. Rinse and repeat while being the worst kind of asshole there is.

I've been in three groups (two of which I'm still in) and none of them have been like that. If anything there's too high a concentration of memes.

If FFG does the "stupid dice" thing they did for Star Wars, I can honestly say that that won't be a reason for not running the new edition for my group. I just wouldn't buy the books.

What a non-surprise that you don't actually have a game after all that gesticulating.

It's interesting that the FFG forums are still discussing whether there will be a reboot or not.

I would avoid stance dancing if possible. It is not really a fighting style suitable for my character concept.

Jokes on you, the game is on, just not with 4th edition. The GM is now divided between going 1th edition (in which case I can go Akodo Bushi because there will be no difference whatsoever) or homebrew 5th edition (in which case I'm fairly certain I can get what I want from the 200+ katas).

I hope for 1st edition. That's an edition I've played only once, and for a meager two or three sessions.

Historically innacurrate is fine but l5rs innacurracy is so insufferable and borderline racist it drives me crazy. Worse, it's not even innacurrate in a cool or fun way, just autistic and boring

johnwickpresents.com/books/blood-honor/

Is this supposed to inspire something in me besides fear and revulsion?

22 years, at least.

>the game is on, just not with 4th edition.
Sure it is, user.
>Jokes on you
The joke is on all of us, pretending not-so-subtle Veeky Forums tier trolling was a genuine request for character builds.

>the game is on, just not with 4th edition.
>Sure it is, user.

Hell I hope so. Don't jinx my game, user.

>a genuine request for character builds

Welp. My request went down right in the drain, so yeah, I'm not really having second thoughts here about abandoning 4th ed.

>My request went down right in the drain
You waffle stomped it right down the drain, right from the start, mate.

I dunno, playing a peasant among a bunch of hoidy toidy nobles can be fun sometimes, right? It's like playing a ronin, but more shamefu.

So there's why you might play a monk or Togashi, but what about Mantis?