Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What is the cutest weeb-themed character you have ever played? How good a waifu was she?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/69913/legends-of-dragonsfjord
d20pfsrd.com/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70930/curse-of-the-lazy-throne
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/"blood money spell"/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Better of a waifu than Hana, that's for sure.

Regardless, the final call for applications to the Legends of Dragonsfjord is this weekend! If you've been putting off an app until now, you'd better make a decision quick because soon enough you won't be able to join, period.

soon y'all will be free of my shilling, rejoice!

Link here: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/69913/legends-of-dragonsfjord

>Better of a waifu than Hana, that's for sure.

Fight me.

Everyone knows best girls use lances

Best quote of my group's last session by far:
>Can I make a Diplomacy check on a charge?

Not the dragongm but....

She can't even find matching socks! I mean, come on!

Well?

My Nubian womb-mate.

Best race, coming through.

No, but the GM let him do it, mostly because he was curious why he would ever want to do it.

He convinced the last Denizen of Leng we were fighting to jump off the edge of the airship we had just raided. It jumped, tried to plane shift, failed its concentration check, and presumably splattered on the ground below the clouds after we saw it get struck by lightning on the way down.

What would be the best 1pp way to make Nephenee in pf?

My first instinct is to just say Shield + Shortspear, but that seems like a cop out.

Maybe Shield Brace?

>Literally anyone else
The mark of a true pleb, indeed.

You're all wrong with your Fates waifus.

>Everyone knows best girls use axes
Fixed.

There's someone I wouldn't mind giving some shoes. Walking around with their toes exposed-makes me feel cold just looking at them.

is there a way to make arcane bond (item) less terrible?

>Having a Fates waifu

>Best axe girl
>Not based Jill

>worst girls use axes
fite me

Axes beat spears, objectively.

Why does Camila love Hinoka so much? Aren't they enemies?

Why is this in Veeky Forums? Shouldn't you be in /a/ or /j/ or wherever you animefags congregate?

>BEING AN AXEFAG UNIRONICALLY
>GETTING CONSTANTLY KEKOLDED BY SWORDFAGS

>reaver
I see what you did there.

>Warrior has 41% chance to hit, 2RKOs
>Tate has 88% chance to hit, 5RKOs
Outside of a hit, methinks the NPC warrior has the better chances. This is FE6 so single RNG for hitrate
>Mfw Swordslayers do have literal bonus damage against myrms and mercs and 80 baseline hit

New to PF, played 3.5; need some help regarding linguistics and non-class skills

In scenarios I've played, Linguistics seems to have a lot of value and utility to help decipher languages and codes. I've looked into the skill in the CRB, but I would appreciate some clarification.

If I take a rank in the skill and it is a class skill, I will receive a +3 bonus for having it trained. That will aid me in linguistics checks as appropriate in session. That makes sense to me.

If it is a class skill, and I take my first rank in linguistics, do I only gain one additional learned language (for a standard character and build)?

If it is not a class skill, then I do not receive the +3 bonus on the checks (which is the same for all non-class skills that a character takes a level in). I would still receive only one additional language known, is that correct?

With that in mind, if I somehow gain access to the skill as class skill (a single dip in bard, let's say) and I invested a rank in it before, do I automatically gain the trained bonus (+3) once it is added to my list of class skills?

The answer to all of those questions is yes.
The real answer is Comprehend Languages.

Yeah for sure, I'm definitely considering that as an option for my longterm characters. But for one of my characters, it's more fitting to learn the language. He's a one-shot (or two, three, or whatever), so I don't care about optimization of best choices.

Are you implying that the love of tomboys isn't allowed here?

Not when they have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with Pathfinder.

I can respect axe users as long as we're joined against swords

Yeah, that's some off-topic posting.

>If it is a class skill, and I take my first rank in linguistics, do I only gain one additional learned language

Yes, the +3 isn't extra ranks, they're a bonus. Same as a circumstance can give you a bonus

>If it is not a class skill,

You're right

>With that in mind, if I somehow gain access to the skill as class skill (a single dip in bard, let's say) and I invested a rank in it before, do I automatically gain the trained bonus (+3) once it is added to my list of class skills?

Yes

Reminder that tomboy myrmidons are the best.

That last one is nice to know, 'cause some dips have appealed to me, and not every class has swim, climb, and acrobatics.

Despite all appearances to the contrary it is a Pathfinder thread.

>tomboys aren't universal to Veeky Forums
>he never had a session with one

So I have realized as a Rogue with Background skill around, plus being partially Int based and putting my FCB into extra skill ranks I have 14 skill ranks per level to play around with.

Now my character is a member of a wealthy family by day and by night a thief (he is gestalt with Vigilante). Right now my planned skills are the following:

>Appraise
>Acrobatics
>Craft (Locks)
>Bluff
>Disguise
>Disable Device
>Escape Artist
>Knowledge (Local)
>Knowledge (Nobility)
>Linguistics
>Perception
>Stealth
>Sleight of Hand

I am struggling however for where to put my last skill rank. I was thinking about Profession (Merchant), but am unsure. Any thoughts? UMD is always useful I suppose.

>not posting Marisa
>inb4 lol sacred stones

Talk about goddamn Golarion or Dragon Game or fucking EBERRON Tomboys, then! FE ones are ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT.

Jesus christ, at least pretend to talk about pathfinder.

Lyn isn't a tomboy, you goofus. She's just lived out on her own in the middle of bumfuck nowhere for who knows how long.

Fucking get UMD. UMD. UMD. UMD.

I don't like some of the choices of other skills you've picked, but it's your character, and it does fit your character background.

If you have job rolls, craft should cover that (I think).

Then why is she using a sword on a pole?

Who gives a fuck?!

What skills do you not like?

The problem with UMD is I have 7 charisma. Right now I'm replacing Bluff and Disguise with int instead of cha. So even with ranks I'm gonna have a shit bonus.

I could also grab Survival I suppose?

If Hana is such a huge tomboy that it harms her enemies, Lyn counts too.

Pragmatic Activator trait changes it from Cha to Int.

I only have so many traits is the issue.

It's only a slight penalty, ranks + other bonuses will outweigh it. You need to be trained at the very least so you can use it at all.

Appraise is a nice fluff skill, but it fundamentally might only yield a better deal when selling treasure. I've never seen it used for anything except treasure, with the exception of identification of things, which plenty of other skills can cover.

Craft locks is... meh. Will you have downtime to craft things? It can go either way. With your high int, craft is a good skill to have, but it doesn't have to be locks. It could be brewery, jewelry, etc. If you're playing a vigilante too, it might be wise to have a degree of separation between what your alter-ego does and what your masked crusader (or villain) does.

Disguise is another skill that really depends on the campaign. I've wanted to use disguise, and have never actually found a time or place where it would be effective. Also, the penalty for being caught in a disguise can be pretty high stakes.

Nobility is another skill that really depends on the campaign as well. I've never actually seen it rolled. Local was the same back in 3.5, but I've seen a lot of use and value in it in pathfinder. More knowledge skills would be great for you if you're rocking a high int. Maybe a single level dip into bard to get access to all of them + bardic performance?

A lot of linguistics is covered by comprehend languages/tongues. I had a character back in 3.5 who spoke 20+ languages, and I never fucking used a single one. Once again, your mileage may vary.

Stealth can be hit-or-miss too. If everyone in the party is stealthy, it's great. If you're the only one, then your party will be spotted if you all are trying to sneak around. Stealth solo is high risk also, as splitting the party is dangerous, and being alone in the action economy is extremely dangerous. Though, once again, it might fit the flavor of your character and campaign and YMMV.

I haven't used sleight of hand much, either.

But it's your character. You play him (or her) how you want. I question how much utility that spread of skills will provide you.

That's a Naginata you doofus.
Disable Device if you have the ranks. Every team definitively always needs someone who can disable traps.

This. Wands can be used as many times until they succeed (until you roll a 1 on the die, then they're deactivated for 24 hours). Scrolls I think can be used until you succeed as well (though caster level check might be involved, which might cause you to lose the scroll).

In combat, it might not be the best thing to do, but if you aren't under any stress, why not try to activate your wand of invisibility to gain a favorable positioning? Why not use a CLW or infernal healing to patch yourself up?

This is for dragon game. I have no idea who my party members are and not a really good picture on what the campaign structure will be. I'm not sure, it doesn't feel very clear.

Linguistics is for making forgeries mostly.

I'm seeing what you're saying for UMD and might go for it.

Craft locks is entirely for flavor. My character professionally constructs vaults for dragon hoards.

I've never had a character make forgeries, but yeah. That could be a viable option if you do have some control and direction.

It would be wise to try to gain some more clarity and certainty regarding the campaign if you can. Have you played with this GM before? Will he incorporate character strengths, skills, backgrounds, motivations, etc? If that can't be answered, I think a grace period where you can rebuild/revamp/change your character would be nice, especially if you're going in blind.

Definitely keep the craft locks, then. Not many people take craft, profession, and perform skills from what I've seen. There is a lot of possibly utility in being able to produce a bunch of high quality locks on the cheap.

No I mean for Dragons 2. I am unsure of the game's direction there. I suppose asking on the listing would be the best bet.

Oh. I have no idea what that is.

Can anyone recommend a good video or crash course on learning PF?

I'm going to be playing in a game here soon and I don't want to be completely new to the system when I join. I'm well versed in D&D 4e and I've played several games of 5e as well as a one-shot GURPS and a few games of Delta Green; I'm not totally new to RPGs, but I'm new to PF.

>That's a Naginata you doofus.
Yup. It's a sword on a pole.

Have you played 3.5?

I learned from experience. Try to familiarize yourself with your character, the skill options available, your items, and general combat options. Still new to PF, and that's pretty much what I'm doing at this point. Making lots of mistakes, but learning from them.

No, I haven't played 3.5. My 4e group was going to learn it at one point, but due to various reasons we had to postpone our games and then we eventually quit playing.

Turn back while you still can, we don't like PF, we put up with PF.

Real talk though. Pathfinder's mechanics are much less elegant than 4e or 5e. This has its advantages, but it also makes learning the game a much less organic experience. I honestly suggest you read the Core rulebook and do your best to memorize relevant rules. Guides don't tend to be useful for new players because they're largely tailored towards optimizations and actual play can end up wildly different depending on who you're with.

Well that's not encouraging. I'll download a PDF of the core book here tomorrow and get to reading. I was just hoping to take the lazy way out and watch a (known) good video and just take notes.

The GM is pretty experienced with PF, so I think I'm in good hands as far as that goes, and we're playing an official module. Can't say I ever really planned to get into PF but I'll be damned if I'm not itching to start playing RPGs again.

d20pfsrd.com/

Here ya go.

Worth mentioning though, they moved sites a little bit ago, so some things might still be a titch broken.

What's the module? Some are good and some are... ungood.

If you have someone experienced ready to teach you, learning as you go might not be a bad call. There's a lot of esoteric shit in Pathfinder you mostly pick up through play, and you don't have to worry about learning something and finding out your group houseruled it there's a lot of houseruling in Pathfinder, everyone knows the rules are shit or uses an official variant.

Character creation is deceptively simple. If you hang out around here, or in other "right" circles you'll see a lot of talk about optimization, but honestly screwing up is mostly a result of experimentation. There's a huge amount of options in the game and 90% of them are bad, learn to stick with the good ones, you'll know what they are because everyone takes them, and you'll be playable at the absolute worst. Stick to simple, the game is terribly balanced but being unbalanced is surprisingly not a very big deal in practice.

You need the right mindset playing this game, and a lot of that has to do with going along with things.

>Pathfinder Adventure Path - Giantslayer

GM ruled no guns and core races, and classes +classes from APG (except summoner).

Thanks, I'll poke though that in the morning. Gonna catch this thread tomorrow as it's getting late for me.

Good to know a bit about the meta going in, thanks. I'm also quite familiar with official rules (specifically RAW) being awful having played 4e for years.

>I'm also quite familiar with official rules (specifically RAW) being awful having played 4e for years.
Pathfinder's on another level user, you'll see. The main appeal of the game is the insane amount of choices, 90% of the game is unplayable trash and there're still enough first party when you cut all that out that you'd never see everything. The core mechanics themselves collapse in on themselves while you're playing the game cautiously, forcing you to make calls on how something ought to work so you can keep going.

Is someone who kills thousands so millions are spared Lawful Evil or a deluded Lawful Good?

Hmm, I think I'm going to choose the path of ignorance and avoid attempting to learn anything other than basic core rules.

This should be fun.

Thanks PFG.

So you're going to focus on the 90% huh?

Is it murder?

Murder -> Evil

If it's like, "you have to drown a puppy and a baby in order to save 100 people" that would be bad in my book.

If it's like, these people are trying to murder, subjugate, and enslave everyone else, then it's good to prevent that initiation of violence against innocents.

A decent, if not all that deep, look at these outlooks was in Tales of Vesperia. Basically, what to do about banal evils, and what happens when *technically* everything a villain is doing is perfectly within the law.

Could be literally any alignment. We need more information about the character, their life, and the situation surrounding this hypothetical dilemma.

Basically someone who works as part of an army conquering whose policy for conquering cities is:

Surrender = You are spared and treated fairly.
Fight = Everybody dies.

Just like in real life.

I was wondering if rationalisations and self-denials count.

Probably some kind of Neutral, but as the other user said, could be any alignment.

Alignment is pretty shit but people always get the wrong idea about it, that it has a lot to do with either personality or actions. Both of those factor in and a crude jerk who mass murders people is probably evil, but by the Core Rulebook definitions, goals and philosophy are really more important.

A Paladin gets away with being Lawful Good as he cuts through a village of orc, paying little mind to the possibility that some of them might be redeemed because it's too dangerous to stop and talk to each one. A Cleric might be Chaotic Evil even though he's friendly and hasn't hurt anyone his entire life, because he knows with no delusions that the orphans he raises are going to be sacrifices and agents of his mad god someday when the time comes.

Belief and rationale are important but the big questions are, who are they when there's nothing forcing their hand, and what would they do in their perfect world.

What class should have the highest CON. How High should it be?

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70930/curse-of-the-lazy-throne

Ideally, the game will start running in two weeks. I'll give about a week to a week and a half for applications.

>Quick Draw and Improved Initative are combined under a single feat.
This excites me way more than it reasonably should. I fucking love quick draw but goddamn is it difficult to justify spending a feat on it.

Why do they obey? Fear of a powerful ruler? A firm belief in the cause they serve? We need to know more to determine this individual's Lawful/Chaotic status.

The alignment system isn't suited to dealing with anything more morally complex than a Saturday morning cartoon. Trying to push it further will yield nothing but frustration and failure.

>long hair
>form fitting shirt
>leg slits all the way up
>no pants
>"tomboy"

trying to make someone who fights with a sword and a scabbard for dragon 2

how would you do it pfg?

3rd party is cool of course

That's the idea behind that, yeah.

Ask the GM if you can fluff a buckler as a scabbard.

Any chance for a day other than Saturday?

There is a magical item, I believe, in one of the Legendary books. If that interests you I will attempt to find it. Otherwise, just go twf and fluff your scabbard as a club or light mace.

Any day that's not Monday or Wednesday.

Sharpened Combat Scabbard is a scimitar without the crit range or feat association. It used to have a crit range but then they errata'd it out, boo.

Take it with a longsword or something and build for two-weapon fighting. I recommend Slayer because you're not going to get dex to damage on the scabbard. Vigilante is a great gestalt as it always is, Warpriest will give you that lovely Will save and eventually scale your weapons up, Barbarian is fucking Barbarian.

I don't know shit about 3pp but I'm sure Path of War has some bullshit available.

This Or take Catch off guard, improv. weapon mastery, etc.

I know that there are combat scabbards or something in Adventurer's Armory, but I don't know what they do.

1. Is the blood money spell allowed?

2. Is the Sacred Geometry feat allowed?

3. Is the Fey Obedience (Magdh) feat allowed?

How do I roleplay a low charisma char who works as the right hand of the King's court? Should the char be rude, stoic, weak-willed, something else...?

I would refer to you the part that says that I am not looking for mechanical monsters.

Blood money's no.

My 5 cha dwarf was played where I was bursting with personality in all of the wrong ways. That was fun.

I think also someone who has a lack of personality would fit, too. Really boring. Self-centered, droning, etc.

How low of a Cha are we talking, here?

2. Is the Sacred Geometry feat allowed?

3. Is the Fey Obedience (Magdh) feat allowed?

Apply and find out I guess. It all depends on the concept.

Is this a new copypasta?

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/"blood money spell"/

4. Is pre-game crafting allowed? If so, then how will pre-game crafting with the Craft Wondrous Item feat work? Will it follow the +25% WBL guideline in this page (scroll down to Adjusting Character Wealth by Level)?

What's the code of conduct you follow about off-session roleplay scenes without the GM?

Most of the ones I've done have the characters stay in one place and have a conversation and try to affect or interact with the outside setting as little as possible, just in case we contradict any GM hidden plans, but that feels pretty restricting a lot of the time.

Do you all stick to the same? Or do you make up places to visit, and introduce tertiary NPCs, and other things?