I'll just say it. I'm genuinely hyped about this. Yes, the gathering storm has been far from a masterpiece. Yes...

I'll just say it. I'm genuinely hyped about this. Yes, the gathering storm has been far from a masterpiece. Yes, some things have been glossed over when they could have been standalone books (genestealer cults on terra anyone?)

But goddammit, they're actually progressing the fucking plot. They're giving a spark of hope in this grimdark setting. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I PERSONALLY never liked the whole "there's no hope, we're all fucked no matter what" vibe. To know that there's actually a fighting chance, no matter how small, makes me want to read more into 40k. It makes me want to root for the imperium because I know that it's doom isn't carved in stone anymore.

(yes, I am a imperiumfag)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eJiUfnIzbVM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So I take it you don't like it then?

(Nice dubs btw)

Not particularly.
The Gathering Storm, whether you like it or not, Is pretty much End Times 2, even if it has nowehere near the same fluff effect, the crunch will most likely change drastically when this leads into 8th.
Which I don't mind necessarily. I haven't played too much of 7th, but most say some changes could be made. The story and Models are what I have problems with.
Maybe I'll go over to forge world. They have more stuff for Mechanicus anyway

Why do so many lolberals lurk here want 40k to become happylight?
You realise the settings been Grim derp from the beginning. Right?

It's too late, user. Guilliman is just gonna make humanity go with a bang. He's the swan song of the Imperium

>genestealer cults on terra anyone
wait a fucking moment, what?

youtube.com/watch?v=eJiUfnIzbVM

Ah okay. Like I said, I understand that the fluff isn't what everyone wanted. Personally I don't see it as "the end times but IN SPESS", but more like a new chapter in the narrative. Instead of everything happening in 999.M41, it'll now happen in 000.M42.

And yes, mechanicum 30k is fucking amazing.

Actually in my country I'm considered to be a republican or whatever the fuck our equivalent is.

Yeah, but now there's hope. A tiny little glimmer of hope which could easily be snuffed out, considering the hive fleets, all tomb worlds awakening, daemon primarchs and all that jazz. It just makes me want to read on, to see what will happen y'know?

>It just makes me want to read on, to see what will happen y'know?
It sure is gonna be interesting, and whatever happens I'm sure it will be glorious

Weird that with the way they handle the overarching story, moving the plot forward about a year in a setting where major historical events are millennia apart causes massive ammounts of skub.
Also the Eldar unifying under Ynnari does kind of call back to the Host of the Phoenix king. It's not the exact same, but similar.

Yeah it's in Gathering storm 2: fracture of the fan base. In one of the sidebar there's an inquisitor making a report about cults on terra, with the arbiter and custodes trying to put them down.
On the bright side, there's now Canon reasons to have a custodes vs cults battle report. So there's that.

I'll just presume you're laughing from delight that someone on Veeky Forums likes the gathering storm as much as you do :)

Its either in GS 2 or from the new WD, I don't remember anymore but yes, there was an infection and they had to burn shit and cover up.

The Eldar aren't unified.

Huh, i haven't actually thought about how convenient it is that everything happens at pretty much same time. Fuck, now I'll never be able to not think about that when I read this stuff.
And with Eldar, I must admit I don't know enough about them to really form an opinion about everything in Fracture. I don't really like their whole "we're BFFs 4EVER now" thing, but that's mostly from how opposite Eldar and deldar feel. But I can accept it since it's only a small part of the Eldar race that's thrown their lot in with ynnead, instead of them pulling a WHFB and uniting the whole damn race

there's little to nothing good that can be added through plot advancement that couldn't be retroactively introduced into the setting's timeline instead.

GW moving the setting forward generates both curiosity and sickness.

>the crunch will most likely change drastically

That needs to happen. Warhammer 40k is clunkier than FATAL at this point.

Necronfag here, congrats

Yeah, the timescale is weird. It all kind of has to happen at the same time. Jump from the normal dying Imperium to Cadia exploding/Guilliman returning/ Ynnead coming in/ Whatever they do with Tau, Orks and Tyranids.
having not actually read the books I can't say much on an opinion of how they tie it all together. I'm stuck running on second-hand info because the books is pricey.
Can the same be said for 30k? Matter of fact, why aren't the Forge World people running things? They're expensive, but at least seem more competent from what I hear.
Would you call them undivided?

> A tiny little glimmer of hope which could easily be snuffed out

See, this is what I want. I want each event to be darker and bleaker than the one before it.

Why? That just gets real samey after a while

But you can only retcon so much before it becomes absurd. Take for example good ol' Rowboat here. How could you introduce him into 40k without advancing the plot? Without it feeling underwhelming?

And yes, Geedubs could just not introduce primarchs since they're really hard to just retcon in. But for how long could they do what you proposed? Make new models and retcon them in, make new events and retcon them in. Personally I think it would feel pretty outlandish after a while. Would you want them to do that for the next 10 years?

Thanks! I'm seriously sorry for you and nidfags. Feels like you guys have just been forgotten in this event, which is quite weird considering you're both pretty fucking scary problems that need to be dealt with right the fuck now before you achieve your final forms.

Exactly. I don't really want the setting to progress, because we've seen what happened in the End Times. I want the mood to remain consistent, so it can continue to be used.

Maybe he'll die after this event/be returned to stasis? Vulkan showing up in The Beast Arises was basically this: He had a walk-on, then 'died' without ever changing anything.

>imperiumfag
>I'm genuinely hyped about this.
You are Smurffag, not Imperoimfag

>How could you introduce him into 40k without advancing the plot?
Why 40k needs him? There is a lot of loyalists primarch who could return without Deus ex Machina.
>make new events and retcon them in.
They made with the prvious 13th Black Crusade and Sotrem of Chaos for fantasy.

I, OP, shall now take the name "reasonable user" so everyone knows who I am! No I'm not jerking myself off, that name is objectively good.
Have you tried epubs? That's how I read the books. And if you don't want to do that, know that they're pretty much focused around a single event, with everything major in the book connected to that event (so Cadia in the first one, ynnead in the second one), and also some sidebars that describe other things happening in the galaxy, like a Waaagh! heading to Catachan and unconfirmed sightings of fulgrim.

I hadn't, I may have to find something to open them then.
Anyone care to speculate what they'll do for races like Orks and Nids?When's Tuska going to join Ghazkull and become avatars of Gork and Mork?

>Personally I think it would feel pretty outlandish after a while. Would you want them to do that for the next 10 years?
They've been doing it for more than 10 years already, sure the changes weren't that relevant for the most part, but in the end the difference between a big change and numerous small ones is thin.

On the other hand, though, with additions being brought into the setting at the edge of the timeline, you get into a series of episodic happenings that either escalate into ridicolousness or fall into the forgettable Saturday morning cartoon plot repetitiveness; on top of ending with a timeline starting with the horus heresy intricacy, roughly 10000 years of relative nothing and a current year of nothing but happenings.

balance is in the middle they say, but if the setting kept on sitting then it would have way less risk of falling.

So far I don't find all of the changes introduced so bad or far fetched but I'm noticing the common factor to what I like and what I dislike being respectively things that add characters, factions, motivations and possibilities, and things that destroy/remove/kill characters, locations and possibilities.

Can we all just stop being so bitter about the smurfs? Yes, 5th Ed smurfs was a train wreck. But that was then. Geedubs have tried to make them more flawed and relatable.It makes sense that Girlyman is the one coming back, as he and Vulkan are the only ones not confirmed to be dead as bricks that could possibly govern the imperium. And with Vulkan fucking off until He'stan finds his stuff, we only have one contender left. Girlyman is repeteadly said to be good at this shit whole leader thing, no matter if you find him to be a Mary Sue or not. Could you imagine if Russ came back instead? Sure, the imperial war machine would probably have a field day, but does he strike you as someone who could lead the whole imperium?

Now the way that he was brought back could on the other hand have been handled more smoothly, fro what I've seen so far. Sure, it's better than "he was healing inside of the stasis field all along" thing they where going for before, but still. I'm trying to not judge before I read exactly what happens, but I'm not so positive about it right now.

Do I need to remind you of the absolutely massive amounts off skub surrounding the result of those events? I wasn't a part off the community back then, but I've heard that it wasn't pretty.

I personally use readium and find the epubs themselves on the mega folders in the 40k general

Anyone have a copy or link to the newest gathering storm?

My biggest complaint about all the 5e smurfs hate is that the codex had some of my favourite crunch. Calgar's old ability to choose morale results is still my all time favourite rule.

So you mean retconing these huge events to happen over the course of these ten millennia instead of everything happening in a year? I actually like that. It would make things a bit more believable.

And i'm curious now. What sort of events would you want to have then? Since i imagine you don't like fall of Cadia since it destroyed quite some possibilities (or maybe i'm just getting you totally wrong. Apologies in that case)

Gulliman still looks like a Thousand Sons.

Magnus true loyalist confirmed

I hate what GW did to the Eldar.
Fuck this Ynnari bs.

I unfortunately don't, if it's Fracture you're talking about. But i know it can be found on one of the megafolders on the 40k general in ePub format.

I saw a pretty nice version of his miniature some time ago where the painter had user some lighter blue instead of gold on maybe a third or half of the gold details, which made the model look much better in my opinion. Can't find the pic unfortunately

If it makes you feel better, know that it's only a a small part of the eldar race that joined ynnead. The majority of deldar are still raiding and raping, most of the craftworlders are still smug asshats that want nothing to do with the ynnari, and the harlequins are still weird

yes, the rise of ynnead could be presented through numerous attempts to summom its avatars over the course of history, with the minor faction of the ynnari having its own exploration both within the craftworlds and commorragh (secret/borderline cults?) and outside with their own fleets, planets and wars; the event with eldrad being stopped by the deathwatch could be just one of the latest attempts and interconnecting rituals.

stuff like the fall of cadia and the resolutions of over various plots I'd have loved as campaigns that depict the present of the setting but with suggestions to various open endings, of the like where writers and players can experiment with numerous paths, branching and interactions with other campaigns, factions and events.

Yeah, I checked but I actually meant gathering storm 3. It's out now, but fuck paying $30 for a tablet edition that's only 120 or so pages. I'll just have to wait till some kind user uploads it

Wait what. When did this happen!?

Yeah that sounds really good, building up the tensions and stakes over the course of several conflicts and millennia. It would make the payoff much more meaningful.

>What sort of events would you want to have then?
I like how GW managed the shield of baal and the damocles gulf in terms of impact: present, relevant but ultimately self restricted

The Lion is confirmed alive. He's just napping in The Rock

Go to the black library, it came out today

Oh wait no fuck me. I just realised it was a pre order for next week God damn it.

But how would he fare as the leader of the imperium? (I honestly don't know enough about him myself to make an opinion so I would really appreciate if someone could tell me)

He was the best candidate for Warmaster, i can tell you that. Especially in hindsight.

Pretty damn well I'd say. While gw has an obvious boner for Guilliman I'd rank both the Lion and Dorn right up there with him as skilled leaders and administrators. Khan, Russ, Corax, Vulkan would definitely not be the preferred choices of the surviving Primarchs.

Best choice would be Sanguinius, but he's 100% dead which is sad.

user, thats not how you say Sanginius. Seriously, Gulliman just wanted his own Empire. Since there is no one else to oppose him (IE another Primarch lile Rogal or Samginius) he's probably okay to lead. I still think he might fall to chaos because of hus pride and ambition.

Godammit an entire week left? I'm not capable of that kind of patience.

Well it's hard to do a worse job that horus did.

As I hear it, the event ends with Guilliman on Terra. Seated on a throne below the Emperor. The galaxy has been so engulfed by Warp Storms that it looks like The Old Night 2.0. Guilliman has his head full of ideas on how to reform the Imperium but knows that isn't what it needs right now. It needs a new shining hero-king to lead and inspire them so he is formulating Codename: Fuck the Old Night, The 2nd Great Crusade.

That's a pretty perfect setup for the future. The Imperium, Guilliman or not, is one step closer to oblivion than it has ever been. There's opportunity for a million new heresies and rebellions to pop up uncontested and the culture clash between Guilliman and The High Lords could put an end to the Imperium for good in the future.

I like it.

Not to mention they can and probably will drip feed in the rest of the Primarchs one by one. Magnus is back, Russ is almost guaranteed to be the next loyalist, plus I've heard rumors of Fulgrim and Roboute duking it out in gathering storm 3.

His people skills are admittedly packing but he is described as a "peerless strategist". So when it comes to actually ruling the Imperium Guilliman is the superior choice but he would be perfect for pushing Abbadon and his merry band of asshole back into the warp

Lacking. His people skills are lacking. My bad

Yay Dorn. I approve, if only because of bias from TTS.

Well then i look forward to seeing his character when he's bought back, since That's Pretty much a given at this point.

That sounds like a really good way to introduce 8th ed, me thinks

Sanguinius is my favorite, but Lion was the best candidate.

Essentially Guilliman is way more qualified when it comes to policy and statesmanship seeing as empire building is his thing, but The Lion would probably be a better general and he is way better in a fight. So Im sure if they could not fight long enough to be a team they could rip the traitors a new one

That's how it'll go down I think. Russ and Lion will eventually come back to lead the Imperium's armies while Guilliman gets down to the nitty gritty of reorganizing and leading the empire.

Dorn can FORTIFY and it'll be an Imperial dream team

>most of the craftworlders are still smug asshats that want nothing to do with the ynnari

Not really. Altansar and Iyanden seem to have joined up wholesale, as has most of Biel-tan's surviving population and a significant portion of Ulthwe. And these are just the Craftworlds that have been directly involved with the Ynnari. Saim-haan's wildness and aggression could easily see them join up. Alaitoc is probably the most likely to sit things out, along with Mymarea, since they're given to being reclusive by nature.

As for the other Eldar cultures? Cegorach has given Ynnead the thumbs up, so most of the Harlequins will fall in line. Lelith will be taking the Cult of Spite (one of Commoragh's biggest supporting pillars) and joining up once she's seen proof that the Ynnari can allay the Thirst. The Haemonculus Covens are right out, as are Vect's closest Kabalite allies, but once the other Dark Eldar realize his rule is going to be even more tyrannical than before, I'd expect a lot of lesser Kabals and pirate fleets will flee to the relative freedom and security offered by the Ynnari.

At the moment, no, the Ynnari don't represent a majority among the various Eldar cultures, but given what we've seen in FoBT, I think there's a pretty strong indication that they're only going to grow and grow.

I'd love for a second showdown between him and Perturabo. But other than Corax I feel like he's going to be one of the last loyalist ones to return

That's just obnoxious.
Why is concept of something NOT being tied to contemporary politics (mainly us politics) so damn difficult for some of you to grasp?

Before all that happens they'll need to secure some kind of home base I think. So far they've just been running around, but that can't last. I'm wondering if they'll use the Black Library as an hq, or find some isolated maiden world instead

Iyanden was one of the largest Craftworlds in its heyday, but given most of its population are now undead statues, I could see the Ynnari moving in and using it as a mobile base of operations/flagship. A stationary home base wouldn't really work - Yvraine needs to stay on the move, so she can keep contacting the scattered Eldar sects and bringing them into the fold.

I'd say Vulkan would be up there if situation required him to be a leader.
Maybe even more so than lion who is great tactician and strategist but very bad at actual human relations.

Didn't iyanden say they couldn't support Yvraine fully? Or was that just while the forces of Nurgle were attacking?

>Can we all just stop being so bitter about the smurfs?
How about no, smurffag?
>he and Vulkan are the only ones not confirmed to be dead as bricks that could possibly govern the imperium.
Nice shilling, but no, Russ, Khan, Lion and Corax never were dead.
>Could you imagine if Russ came back instead?
Why not? Even Russ more interesting than Goldman.
>Do I need to remind you
>I wasn't a part off the community back then, but I've heard
Top kek

>know that it's only a a small part of the eldar race that joined ynnead.
Nope

Well fuck me, i need to read that book again. Didn't think they had that many supporters. And they're probably going to grow even bigger considering all eldar who haven't heard of them yet.

But the Other eldar factions are still gonna be a thing for the forseeable future right? Cuz i'm getting mighty tried of all trolls screaming about "eldar is Kill"

Okay i changed my mind. Fuck Girlyman, give me my Dorn NOW

>most of the craftworlders are still smug asshats
And they are totally irrelevant now, since aeldari much stornger and all CWE leader joined to them.

>But the Other eldar factions are still gonna be a thing for the forseeable future right?
nope

Just while Nurgle was attacking. Yvraine has shown she can bring the Ghost Warriors back to full sapience/awareness, with their memories and personalities perfectly restored. Even if all of Iyanden's living Eldar refused her (and they haven't), 90% of the Craftworld is going to be with her because of what she's done for them.

>But the Other eldar factions are still gonna be a thing for the forseeable future right?

I would imagine so. What I suspect we may see, is the Eldar and Dark Eldar being pulled more and more into a single Ynnari faction, while the Haemonculus Covens, Mandrakes, and Vect's DE allies will be expanded out into their own, new faction, as they become even more crazed and monstrous.

The Eldar are split into 4 instead of 3 groups now. But have no doubt that the only group that's going to matter are the Ynnari. Craftworlders, Dark Eldar and Harlequins will all become increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.

>they become even more crazed and monstrous.
>8+
kek

Stop being so mean to me :(
But seriously thought, i never Said Girlyman was more interesting that Russ, i said he was a more effective leader. Girlyman was the leader of 500 worlds before big E found him, whilst Russ was the leader of a single world with independent tribes on it. Sure, I won't deny that he's a more interesting character, but he's not the hero the imperium needs right now.
I also said that Vulkan and Girlyman would be the best leaders of the SURVIVING primarchs, according to myself. Information presented in this thread has since challenged that opinion, so we'll see how I think when the book is released.

And finally, 5th edition released 9 years ago. It's time to let go user. It's not healthy to dwell on this for almost a decade

Yeah another user told me. I apologize for that mistake

>Russ
>anything other then the worst loyalist Primarch

>:(
You have to go back.
>but he's not the hero the imperium needs right now.
Yeah to turning good old Imperium into progressive noblebright shithole
>of the SURVIVING primarchs
>what Dark Angels codex is

>And finally, 5th edition released 9 years ago.
So what? Ultramarines are still borring and flat Marry Sues
Magnus, plz

Best Primarchs to lead Imperium
>Sanguinius
>Lion
>Dorn
>maybe throw in Jaghatai in there as well

>furry
>turned one of the best and most loyal Primarchs and one of the most useful legions to heresy with his retardation
>always starts shit only to get his as kicked
You know it's true.

>Yiffers thinking that anyone opposing neckbearded fucks playing SW is 1k sons

Fucking kek. Get the fuck out to the dog compound.

>>turned one of the best and most loyal Primarchs
>make deal with Tzeench
>literally ruined the main Imperium project

Nihilism maybe okay for you Slavs but in the civilised world we like to see progress

Keep /pol/ in /pol/ you fat western kurwa.

Like I said, this is my own opinion. It's quite normal for people to have different opinions. You think the Lion would be better, I thought Girlyman or Vulkan would be better. I need to do some research it seems, cause a lot of people seem to think that the Lion is a better option, and I'm curious as to why.
And aren't you assuming quite a lot about what will happen when you say he will make the imperium noble bright? The book isn't out yet, wait to form those opinions until after its released please. Who knows, maybe you'll be surprised.

But are they really as bad as they where during 5th Ed? I just don't think people need to be so bitter over something that happened so long ago, especially considering that the smurfs have since turned from Mary Sue marines into vanilla marines.

I meant of the SURVIVING primarchs. Sanguinius is unfortunately ded

>Progress in wh40k is okay
>Progress is okay

Fags like you are the reason we can't have good things.

>>make deal with TzeenTch (you plebian)
>get deceived because he was desperate to warn The Emperor about Horus' betrayal in time
>>literally ruined the main Imperium project
>did it in complete ignorance (thanks to Emprah keeping all that shit from him) and with the best of intentions

>but in the civilised world we like to see progress
Oh I see it looking at EU

>Sanguinor
I'm a BAfag user, I WANT TO BELIEVE

Since mortarion is next likely lion next loyalist with Caliban reforming and dark angel forming an empire around it

>But are they really as bad as they where during 5th Ed?
Yep since they now ruling Imperium and made all non-Ultramarines irrelevant, like Ynnari made irrelevant all other Eldars

>And aren't you assuming quite a lot about what will happen when you say he will make the imperium noble bright? The book isn't out yet, wait to form those opinions until after its released please. Who knows, maybe you'll be surprised.
t.shill

Its not a black and white issue. Grindarkness is a sliding scale, having a few points of light in an otherwise dark universe doesn't immediately make it happylight.

>Thinking that GW won't make Lion and Dangles traitors and Fallen the loyalists

Oh poor boy, you will suffer soon.

Haven't read any of this yet, but what was the reaction from Guilliman when he saw the state of the imperium? Also, Vulkan is confirmed dead because of The Beast right?

I personally think both Russ and Magnus have they're faults. Russ was a hypocrite with his rune priests and Magnus broke the fucking golden throne, preventing big E from joining the fight without malcador sacrificing himself. Just my two cents.

I'm gonna eat dinner now, and when I come back I expect to see a civilized thread where everyone refrains from insults and respect each other, alright?

Kek, this.

The amount of newfags due to those retarded crusty meme spiced videos from retardbusa in this thread is atrocious.

Nah I'll keep my dick in a nice Polish slut

Lion can't possibly be a traitor unless they literally disregard the entirety of his history. He's top 3 most loyal Primarchs along with Dorn and Sanguinius.