MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

IN RESPONSE EDITION

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread topic
What's your favorite reactive commander?

>commander anthology
Does that mean there will be no more prebuilt commander decks?

(OP) I like yeva because she gives me a strong balance between Timmy and Johnny. I kill people with big guys but I play draw-go more often than not

Pretty difficult to have a "reactive" commander when everyone can see it coming from a mile away. I do like having a commander with flash in a blue deck, though. Make 'em second guess, wether I'm just out of plays, planning to play my commander in general or actually do have that Desertion in hand. I guess the closest to an actually "reactive" commander I can think of is something like Elesh Norn or Kagemaro.

Looking for that big flow chart of what commander you want to play.

cuz someone wanted it

Wifu Commander reporting in

So I finally bothered looking at the Atraxa precon I got for a Liliana, the Last Hope and only five cards were swapped out it seems

>Sol Ring
>Languish
>Corpsejack Menace
>Azorius Chancery
>Temple of the False God

which were swapped out for
>Plukranos, World Eater
>Wretched Confluence
>Doom Blade
>Winding Constrictor
>Untethered Express

Sol Ring and new art Temple are a bit of a loss, but everything else in there makes up for it. Second best $4 spent on a pack of cards yet, only after my Masterpiece Paradox Engine pull

That'd be really stupid on their part. And Duel Decks didn't stop after the first Anthology, so I'd be very, very surprised if they axed the precons.

you should've just kept the lily instead of trading it for all that crap.

>Wifu
That's a man you fucking shitlord

Your store charges $4 per pack? That's even more of a ripoff than normal

They won't. EDH moves a lot of product for them, so dropping the precons would be a boneheaded move on their part

That's msrp + sales tax, you dingus. Unless you live somewhere without sales tax?

What if I wanted the precon without spending $60+ on it? Atraxa + Deepglow Skate + Crystaline Crawler make up Lili's value and then there's the other 97 cards in the deck.

Yeah it sucks buying packs at retail price, my ma. Not much you can do about it though.

My store charges $2.69 a pack, plus 6.5% sales tax for a pack of Eldritch Moon, which is a bit less than $4. But I guess I forgot about sales tax and figured it was $4 without it

How far up the autism spectrum do you have to be to play edh?

"Anger twisted the orc's face and he took another step toward her. "You tell me this? A human boy who thinks he's a woman?""
"I know who I am. I am not a boy. I am Alesha, like my grandmother before me"
>"Took another step towards her"
>"her"
She has a feminine penis, not gay.

I remember when I got stuck for a day at the swansea mall in MA and there was a store there selling boosters for $4.99 + tax. Made me wonder how they ever fucking get rid of their inventory, who the fuck would spend that much?

As autistic as you need to be to play modern or standard
Honestly, it's the difference between playing smash and mario party

Regardless how "competitive" you like your magic, we're all just playing fantasy cardboard arena

Take a seat

Has anyone here made a Mordor themed deck? Preferably with an Orc or a Goblin as commander.

gA has an Orkz deck, but it's 40k rather than LotR

smash is competitive edh
a bunch of losers playing a casual game competitively, while everyone else who plays real fighting games and real formats laughs and makes fun of them

It's fine to play Smash competitively if that's what you like, just like it's fine to play EDH competitively if that's what you like.

Where you cross the line is when you insist that your 'version' of the game (where you've stripped out almost everything unique about it, in an attempt to ape existing games that already do what you want) is the only true version, and are openly hostile to people who dare to play it for fuckaround-fun instead of SUPER ULTRA SRSLY

>EDH is a bunch of autists

yup thats about right

>When you resolve a Larceny against a bunch of control-playing assholes with your unblockable-theme deck
>When the mono-blue player gets his library exiled in a single turn after you rite of replication your scalpelexis

Legacy is like making love to a beautiful woman. Competitive EDH is like raping a blind child in a back alley, that's a more apt comparison

Pretty much, yeah.

>Legacy is a really expensive hooker

makes you think

Click the post number to reply to a specific post, newfriend.

There's playing EDH competitively, and then there's Competitive EDH for which is more true. You can play competitively with the jankiest deck ever.

no, I meant it as I am the op and just didn't want to include the explanation for my personal choice for the thread topic in the OP post

You Could've just put "OP" in the name box

Commander: Smash
Standard: The latest Street Fighter
Modern: The latest Tekken
Legacy: Third Strike
Vintage: Super Turbo
Sealed/Draft: whichever anime fighter is the FOTM
Pauper/Peasant: MUGEN

well, I guess I could have. I've literally never used it before so I forget it exists sometimes. I've been trapped here since ~2006 and I'm still a newfag.

>What's your favorite reactive commander?

Solid choice, OP. I too love me some Yeva shenanigans.

Oh, sure- that's the point of the whole 75% movement, right? Build your deck to a certain power level, but in-game, play to win.

Same thing with the Smash analogy- I can want to play Captain Falcon or Little Mac or whatever to the best of my ability, with the focus of the game still being "a fun time with friends" instead of "Super ultra hardcore fighting game seriousness"

If his goal is to play EDH then no, he shouldn't have.

>enjoying reasonably competitive 4 way games at LGS
>Tasigur, Keranos, Atarka, Non-degenerate Animar
>One of the regular meme-spouting 14-year-olds shows up early for Latchkey Kid night
>Asks if he can jump in the next game
>The more the merrier
>Pulls out fully foiled Narset.netdec
>Oh joy
>We start and it becomes immediately obvious that he has no idea what he's doing
>Drops a Fetch turn one, tries to grab a Command Tower, has to be told that just because a land can tap for white it isn't a Plains
>Argues the point
>Has no idea what any card printed before BFZ does
>Eventually gets Narset to stick and swings
>Timestretch, MLD
>We scoop, congratulate him on a game well played
>He starts to tell us what we should have done to beat him
>Yeah, that's cool man, I think Standard is starting
>Hear him talking later about how he beat a bunch of "scrubs" with "cute" decks.

Honestly, fuck Narset. Any idiot with access to their mother's credit card and the ability to turn a card sideways can have a tier one deck. Yes, I mad.

lol
>opponent wraths
>flash in e-wit and grab the fresh meat I discarded earlier
>wrath kills my shit
>cast fresh meat
>tap tokens to chord for caller
>kill the fuccboi who wrath'd me after I untap
or
>flash in regal behemoth before my turn
>have enough mana to animate every blue source land in play and cast ezuri's predation
>lmao @ their life
or
>literally any point in the game that you control yeva and seedborn muse. even better if you have soul of the harvest or primordial sage.

flash is just so good

As I guy who bought it on whim when it first came out, The atraxa precon is crap and not really even fun. If I was the one who got the lily, I would have sold it for pieces for a deck I actually wanted to play

animate their lands with kamahl*

/tg im considering brewing a new deck, i the idea right now is to use partner, one of them is going to be Kydele, i wanna draw cards like a maniac to utilise her ability to cast eldrzi's n shit.

But what should the other commander be? Thought of Thrassios but utilizing other colours would probalbly benefit me greatly.

Two if my buds are getting back into magic after they broke up with their cunt girlfriends who threatened them with no sex if they kept playing magic. Will they eventually get faster at playing? I swear they made the game last an hour and a half just because they sat around being indecisive.

>to cast eldrzi's n shit

>Dating women who tell you not to play magic
>Dating women who use no sex as a way to manipulate you
Wow your friends are beta fucking pussies.

In my experience, yes and no. I've had friends whom eventually got faster, but i also have some that a year later still plays like a fucking turtle.

That really depends. If they're taking forever because they're rusty and trying to think their plays through before committing to something, that'll PROBABLY get better as they play more.

If they're just stupid, it won't get better unless they try.

At least they called their shit and dumped their hoe ass'. A true beta would give up magic to appease their skanks.

Like for real I can understand a gf thinking magic is gay or dumb and not wanting to go to fnm so her hair doesn't get smelled by retards, but why the fuck would she try to make you stop something you enjoy? Like fuck that, unless it's like drugs or unhealthy if a girl tells you to stop doing something fun she can pound sand

Who is your commander and do you have a list? Sounds like fun.

>players taking forever
This, I fucking hate this, why can't these autists have the self awareness to know that there's other people in the game? Untap, Draw, Land, Card, Card is a sequence that should NOT take longer than 30 seconds. Then there's those fuckers that know they're beat and spend 5 minutes holding their head and trying to think of how they can use three lands, a coalition relic, and a craw wurm to stop 30 30/30s. Most magic calculation is simple arithmetic, you should be able to do this.

>
That is actually a pretty good idea, might try this

My favorite argument is "There's a lot going on on the board! It's a complicated board state!'

That may be true, but barring some Warp World type shit, this board did not just HAPPEN. It's been developing over several turns.

Kek, I had something like this happen this happen once.

>be playing with 3 pals, planning to use our jankiest decks
>I use Tariel angel tribal, friends use gallowbraid voltron, noyan dar awaken tribal and Jhoira of the gitu suspend tribal
>15 year old asks if he can join us, we agree and tell him that we're playing janky decks
>He takes out Narset and tells us it's janky spellslinger so we're fine with it
>He connects once
>Time stretch + Expropriate.png
>He makes tons of suboptimal moves but manages to eventually beat us
>We ask him for a rematch, he's fine with it, telling his friend who's watching about how sick and awesome his deck is
>I whip out Kozilek
>Get a mana crypt + sol ring + semblwnce anvil +mirrorworks hand
>At the end of turn 3 I have 2 thran dynamos and dreamstone hedrons, and I cast Kozilek
>Swing at him turn four, he sacrifices all his lands and blocks kozilek, he now has no board
>Instead of finishing him off I instead start focussing on the rest of the table, friends easily remove kozilek
>Every time he gets 4 lands going I swing with Kozilek or another big eldrazi
>Kid refuses to scoop because that would make him salty apparently
>The game takes so long that he misses his draft
>He's almost in tears when the game finishes nearly one and a half hours later

It was a good day desu.

So let's say someone plays Research. Then they Reiterate it. Let's just say, for arguments sake, that they have an infinite amount of mana to pull from (they didn't, they did the math incorrect but we only discovered that much later). So, that player then says "I add infinite land cards to my deck." but doesn't actually have the cards with them. What do you do?

Mind you this player has never used Research before, did not tell the group he had it in his deck and has Mind over Matter in play and Battle of Wits on the board.

I need a white deck /tg, my playgroup decided that everyone is going to build a mono-coloured deck. We are five so everyone gets one colour and i got white, i usually dont play white so i have no idea what to play, control? Weenies? Help plz

I tell them there's no such thing as 'infinite' in Magic. They need to tell me the exact number of land cards they're shuffling in, and they had better actually fucking have those cards. I'm not letting them shuffle "Theoretical" cards into their deck.

eight-and-a-half-tails

What do you use for card draw in your Kozy? I want to build it, I just can't afford a crypt, should I even bother?

Card literally says "cards you own". He doesn't own infinite lands? Can't put them in there.

Tell him that without prior group consent cards that refer to cards from outside the game don't work.

I'm in agreement, but his excuse was "from outside the game" and since we hadn't specifically agreed that "cards from outside the game" needed to be brought to play that he could add something like 10,000 land cards and simply proxy them in. Also he argued that he couldn't realistically carry 10,000 cards around with him physically, or he'd need a briefcase or something similar.

Maybe I'm just being crotchety but this really turned me off of EDH as a format. Without real, hard rules it's difficult to explain to people what the "point" of EDH is.

That's what we decided on, but only after two other players scooped.

Hokori

Go goblin slayer

> Also he argued that he couldn't realistically carry 10,000 cards around with him physically
Then he's not using that combo.

Technically speaking, cards like Research don't even work in EDH unless your group agrees that they do.

>and since we hadn't specifically agreed that "cards from outside the game" needed to be brought to play
how the fuck does he think these cards work? "I cast Burning Wish to find... I dunno, Wrath. Huh? No, I don't have one on me."

What the fuck kind of nonsense reasoning is this
>Oh you guys didn't say anything about it beforehand so that means I can use this Cunning Wish to proxy literally any instant from magic but I don't actually have to bring it with me because it's unrealistic to expect me to bring all of them just in case I need that one

Isamaru Voltron, Lin Sivvi toolbox, New Odric keywords aggro

What's a good place to get custom card sleeves?

>Maybe I'm just being crotchety but this really turned me off of EDH as a format. Without real, hard rules it's difficult to explain to people what the "point" of EDH is.
How is it linked with EDH? If he doesn't have the card he just can't add it to its library, EDH follows the same rules as any other format

You run silas alone?

Kozilek himself of course, but also staff of nin, mind's eye, dreamstone hedron, hedron archive, endbringer, other kozilek.

I'm of the opinion that casting kozilek gives you enough draw. And if you can't cast him he should br on the field which means you're in a dominant position anyway.

However, if you're worried about draw you could include some more sacrificr outlets for recasting kozilek (high market is a must, ashnod's is ok but you don't run too many creatures), book of rass and staff of domination (infinite mana and draw with metalworker).

I'd say crypt, ancient tomb and metalworker are not quite necessary, but they are the key pieces for explosive starts and allow you to run less lands.

Mana crypt is as cheap as it'll ever be though, so I'd buy if I were you. If you're European you can get one for 30~ bucks.

I'd rather he didn't include cards like that at all and EDH seems to bring out the worst in people when they can only use one copy of something. I mean, he practically milled himself out of the game just to get to that one card so this combo is something he was planning on doing and it wasn't just by chance. He had 6 cards left in his library before he started the "infinite" combo. I understand that in other formats people want to tryhard like that, but to me EDH isn't suitable for that kind of playstyle. Everyone should have a deck that's fun to interact with and fight against.

We're not a competitive group (nor are any of us very wealthy) and he insists on bringing decks that are either stupidly expensive ($1000+ while we play decks that are worth maybe $100-200) or clear shut outs by turn four or five.

This seems really nice, considering this
Meh, i assume you play tax here, not really my "cup of tea"'
Just why
First time seeing Isamaru, seems really nice. But Lin Sivvi seems like the most interesting of the bunch, if eight-tails doesn't work out this will be it.

Nu-Odric Soldier Tribal with Darien King of Kjeldor as a backup if you're willing to get him

Yo, was there a Karn buyout or something I missed? I recall him being like, $15-20 less a couple days ago

No, that guy you played with is a fucking retard.

There is literally rules errata stating that you must actually own cards used "outside the game," and most formats (if not all?) require that you not only have those on had with you, but state that you have such a card in your deck, and that everyone is in agreement.

He ruined his own fucking argument with his own words.

>durrr I need a briefcase for all those cards, you can't expect me to carry them around!

burn his deck.

He's not being reprinted in MM3.

Technically, Wish type cards only find things in your sideboard in sanctioned events. Outside of sanctioned events, they do literally nothing unless your group agrees otherwise.

>not sucking dicc
what are you gay?

Yeah, Hokori is "no one gets to have fun." Eight and a half tails seems pretty fun.

Regardless of how popular it is, probably Sram, because screw having fuck all for card advantage.
Mangara of Corondor if I felt like going for style points.
Or Frankie Peanuts if your group is okay with it.

Bruna, the Fading Light angel tribal + recursion is my favorite monowhite deck.

Avacyn angel tribal and pack a fuckload of wraths

Make them upset.

Star EDH is so much fun with my group. We get super into the roleplay of it.
>You dare defy my decree, Green Mage? I will see the forests razed for this!
>Your heresy ends this day, Black Mage!
etc.

iona ramp

make each player build a Kirin deck
that would probably have major balance issues though

Is there any way to build Crosis that isn't just Grixis goodstuff or dragon tribal?

You can play discard and hand control.
You also can play Voltron with every Commander, really.

Smash is a good comparison because there are the "Final Destination, Fox only, no items" fags that take it way too seriously, and the rest of us that just want to take turns picking stages with a few ageed items taken off with our favorite characters and have a good time.

I'm looking on EDHrec and I actually like the idea of a "You don't get to have cards in your hand" deck. What about wincons though? I don't play control decks so I'm not really sure how you win with them aside form last longer than everyone else.

You have a 6/6, four swings and they're out.
You also get some enchantment in black (and probably red) that'll help you/damage them whenever they discard cards from their hands.

>I actually like the idea of a "You don't get to have cards in your hand" deck.
You're a monster

Play Leovold

what's some spicy tec i can do with this card

Sidar and have a bunch of little dudes that draw you cards when they deal combat damage to an opponent.

And even then, people who wanna play it seriously are fine as long as they're not being dicks about it. I know people who play Smash seriously but they don't look down on people who just play it for fun, and there's ZERO problem with that.

make mischief from SOI