MTG setting

Veeky Forums magic plane with our own history and maybe some mechanics to boot

so lets build Veeky Forums

Well, what are some types of worlds we can do?
Has magic ever done a dark fantasy?

anything that has a somewhat MTG feel and i'm not sure about the dark fantasy part maybe.yes.no?

A Dark Fantasy setting in Magic, perhaps set on a dying world would be interesting. The last bastions of civilization are on the edge of falling to unnatural horrors while the world itself is falling apart on some fundamental level. Perhaps the spread of these horrors is killing off livestock and polluting farmland, or the world itself grows colder.

Mechanics would vary between the "civilized" races having things like Bolster or Banding; they're trying to stick together to survive the onslaught, while the Horrors have Trample, or the larger ones create tokens when they die to show how rapacious they are.

It sounds nice. We just need to differentiate it from Innistrad Pre-Emrakul 2.0

What theme the Horrors would have? Maybe just classic ogres and trolls?

Instead of having murder machines and gothic horrors running around, the world is just starting to burn itself out because of an enternal war
One side went full dick and decided to cast a plane wide spell causing the world to slowly collapse in on itself, now every factiom is trying to heal the world back up, stop the spell, ditch the world, or just finally "win" the war

Yea I was just thinking that.

Maybe have the Horrors as Mutants instead?

I was thinking that the artistic look and feel of this world would be of a classic Dungeons and Dragons setting, or perhaps something more akin to a Lord of the Rings setting that's now been plunged into turmoil. So the classic races of Humans, Elves, and Dwarves trying to fight these monsters off.

I'm not sure what these horrors or mutants would have as a theme. I would think something like pic related would do the trick - Horrors from the underworld of this setting coming to begin the apocalypse perhaps.

I like that a lot, it allows for more varied factions. Maybe even have the original reason that these peoples are fighting be lost, and instrumental in figuring out how to end the war peacefully.

So mutant creatures endlessly assaulting the classic fantasy races what would these horrors look like and how well do the other factions trust each other

wow that can be even more depressing than 40k is

damn this is awesome

So the dwarfs would look something like this

also can the dwarfs have some necrontyr themes as instead of just a another fortress in the mountain they live out their lives in giant tombs constructed due to the fact that they are all cursed to die in the endless war that they want to just wait out their miserable lives instead of fighting

and that is what the heroes are trying to find to save the plane but we should have the major factions against it because they think that our heroes are spies for the other factions

Well, taking the idea from , maybe the spell made to end the ward created said mutants, perhaps at the pinnacle of the largest battle yet during this war the spell fired off and warped those nearby.

So the Mutants would look like wasted, crazed counterparts to the people they once were, but with added limbs, or tumorous growths. A unifying theme would probably be the addition of at least one animal appendage, like a crustacean's claw in place of a hand or an insect's wings on these creatures.

>how well do the other factions trust each other
I think there would be a tenuous alliance between some of the races, but with paranoid subterfuge happening in the background, which would lead to 's point that our hero's would be viewed as spies and, at face value, be helped while also hindered due to internal politicking and backstabbing.

I would love to marry the great necropoli of the Necrontyr with the stoic underground fortresses of the Dwarves. I could see a Dwarven civilization honoring their dead and mourning for what they've lost fall into a state where their cities have become almost like great mausoleums with more dead than alive. It would be like the aftermath of the Black Plague in Europe; every Dwarf has lost someone to this war, and they now see it as ultimately futile to continue fighting, instead barring their holds to the world.

Perhaps a group of younger firebrands continues fighting, but the majority are trying to keep the outside world out.

this

bump

Lets through in some more grim dark
The mutations caused by the spell also affected the corpses of the dead drawves

The ild drawves turn into twited, malformed versions of their former selves

What would the mutant's game mechanics be also what of the other races

well i believe black should be dwarfs
white is humans
green is elves
no clue for other two

The Mutants in question would have very aggressive game mechanics, with some graveyard manipulation and recursion thrown in. You want to be attacking, and often, and their mechanics would support this. Things like low cmc creatures that get scarier over time, and fatties that when killed produce a few tokens will fit the theme nicely because these are supposed to be a very difficult to put down threat.

The other races would be the Dwarves we just mentioned, which would be very defensive in natures with good blockers but not many actual fighters save for perhaps one or two cards

Humans would work kind of like a Bolster Weenies deck would, they'd have low mana cost creatures and would focus on building them up into an overwhelming attack, but otherwise remaining focused on defense and targeted removal of threats.

The Elves I'm not sure of, we haven't really put much thought into them. Perhaps something to do with enchantments or something.

and we still need two factions

>>we could do whatever faction caused the whole mess in the first place.

Also, on a side note, we can have more factions that are humans/elves/dwarves then just the described ones.

Tangent number two, although it is kinda over done, the highly magical group that caused all of this could now shun magic and look like a tribe of barbarians.

I am bad and accidentally used green text, none of what I posted matters now.

bump

we need clowns
lots of clowns

in red