Urban Unease/Urban Horror 5

Head Canon Edition

A thread where we discuss a setting where the player would be living in an urban apartment and the whole building would be filled with bizarre event and strange tenant. Weird and creepy but
comfy at the same time. Post your idea.

>Archives:
-The first three previous thread are here:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Strange about your apartment

-The Fourth thread:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/51963891/

>Writefag stuff:

user's stuff that seems canon:
docs.google.com/document/d/1Y5cGnqK3HpGKC3QGGthS2kciUqCKb3QQbvu0lcvLOcM/edit?usp%3Dsharing&sa=D&ust=1488526404607000&usg=AFQjCNFmoKR7rUdtWgGDyv3PYD92XzqC9g&sa=D&ust=1488526404857000&usg=AFQjCNFIaEPOvBhZavoI9Chhf3cNlGEh6A#heading=h.w7qkw08y43zd

OP head canon which is autistic and unimportant I planned to draw a comic series about this:
1drv.ms/w/s!ApmRC3bCItrcgQWlGCip-K4X3FWK

Notes:
So far there are no coding involved, only brainstorming for now. If you cooked up some delicious doc link it to the op, and maybe it'll be included in the next OP. Pastebin soone

I'll start,
an enigmatic maid, who always seen cleaning the apartment almost everywhere. e.g as you walk to the apartment lobby you'll see the maid sweeping but when you're on your way to your room, you'll see the same maid vacuuming the hallway. going back to the lobby, you'll see that maid still sweeping the lobby.

the weather outside your room's window always change depending on your mood and taste but on the 13th day of every month the weather is blood mist red and sometime you felt like someone was watching.

A tenant midget who hates you for everything, knows everything that you do and what you are currently doing. he will also know your past and will complain about you to you but never talk behind your back.

Inaudible whisper can be heard at night from everywhere in your room when it's completely pitch black outside and inside your room.

Whenever you tried to have a snack while you're at your lap/computer/TV, there's always a disturbance. sometimes your room is upside down, the furniture aren't in the place that it was supposed to be, for every chip you bite a scream will be heard or every stuff in your room are floating

bumping till other poster shows up

Lazy shut in and good for nothing neighbor who always asked for food from you but she know the apartment like the back of her hand, you'll sometime see her wandering around the apartment complex and claim that she's on an adventure.Has a wicked sense of humor and love to tease people. She has been living in the apartment far more longer than you at least.

there's a floor that leads to a white void and will only be accessible through the elevator on certain day the button 4.5 appear. in the vast
white void there'll be 2 woman wearing Victorian
era dresses sitting together while having tea,
there'll be an empty chair as if they were
expecting guest. they will gossip about the
apartment,the tenant or anything related to the
urban apartment in general. Serve as a point of information

bumperino

When you take a shower with very hot water, sometimes the mirrors will mist over. Whenever you wipe this mist off, it always instead shows a balding, old man shaving his armpits, and as he does the hair sprouts legs and crawls around before climbing onto the top of his head as a toupe and then he leaves, and the mirror mists over again and goes back to normal.

Still bumping

Every once in a while, there'll be mock fire drill in the apartment but with real flame

This is a cool concept, I like this

A bellhand at the door who never leaves
Hes always theres
Seemingly benevolent and omnipotent
Doesnt let the players leave but more than willing to send them scurrying off to another quest

There is a cat that always finds its way into your apartment. It observes you expectantly, but won't accept food from you, and doesn't respond to attempts to shoo it away. According to the few neighbours you speak to the cat seems to know secret ways into every apartment. Every now and then the cat and a random tenant goes missing. If you investigate the missing tenant's apartment you find the door locked, barred, and seemingly impossible to open. If you listen closely to the door, you can hear - no, feel - unnaturally loud, contented purring emanating from within the apartment.

sometime when you try to cook in your apartment, there will be a gordon ramsey spectre who will guide i.e torture you while cooking but the food will always turn out to be excellent.

just across the street of your apartment, there is a 7eleven store. In there you'll see a worker girl and a headless clerk.Somehow in the store, you feel it was soothing and slowly regain your sanity and consciousness but when you look outside from the store it's really pitch black and you could not see anything but you can feel somewhere out there in the black void, something is waiting to torment you

at this rate i'm going to run out of idea juice.

A mad scientist that always ask you to try out his new invention which always give a negative outcome. sometime induce madness.

A TV showing a girl as the receptionist, seems to be self aware of her surrounding and always bid you welcome or give a warning in advance when you enter or go out of the apartment.

if someone make a game about this, i'll suggest adding a sanity system, if the player goes insane he's out from the game until he get's his sanity back

pls post here friend, i want to read your stories

BUMPEROOO

when you're going back to your apartment room, somehow you took many turn than it used to be and suddenly end up in a labyrinth of hallways with a black shadowy figure that keep chasing, if you manage to outrun the shadowy figure you'll end up back in your apartment room but if you fail to do so, you'll end up on the lobby's sofa with a headache.

thanks for the vertigo senpai

up your game OP

>Why is my butt sore?

kek

You can't get a wifi signal on the sixth floor. You also can't get radio/television signals up there. Hell you can't even get a microwave to work up there. The people living on that floor don't seem to mind, in fact most of them seem to have forgotten what radio, Wifi, TV and microwaves are.

You don't go there much cause it's really boring and everyone there dresses like they're from Great Expectations

Is this supposed to be a videogame concept?

looks like pretty much complete, what is it needing?.

You've found that your food goes missing in your apartment. You turn round from your meal and come back to less fries than you started with. You thought it was rats, but there's no droppings or gnawed packets of food in the cupboards.

You start to hear chuckling when it happens, breathy, sweaty chuckling.

One day when one of your sausages goes missing from your plate, you snap and scream "get out of here you fat fuck!" At the top of your voice.

You hear ghostly footsteps hurry away, coupled with a mysterious sobbing.

You could check the SCP foundation, tons of ideas there

Nah, It's just a collection of creepy but not necessarily outright terrifying ideas revolving around an apartment complex

It's not really a set Canon, as such. there is a set Canon for A Creepy Apartment Building, but you can chose to add ideas that don't relate to that canon.

After re-reading "Great Expectations" the similarities between some of the characters described in the book and some of floor 6's inhabitants become even more obvious. In fact, practically everyone on that floor bears an immense resemblance to characters from works of Victorian fiction. Most of the other tenants are only surprised by the fact it has taken you so long to figure this out.

>There's a China Lake in the corner of your room with "Riot" written in blood on the barrel. You can faintly hear screams coming from it

>Some one is having a great deal of fun in there.
>You've tried to remove it multiple times, but you always wake up to it lying back were it was the day before along with a large pile of strongly worded letters
>Very strongly worded
>Like, the first one nearly knocked you out.
>It seems like the best you can do its put a sheet over it and keep it in the living room.

I would if i could

This single image inspired one of the best horror games I've ever written and ran

Do tell!

Fuck, it's 2 am where I live and I was supposed to go to sleep. It was a mix up of horror and thriller about returning from party in a middle of night. Pretty much Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls", but in New York metro tunnels and other underground areas. I will gladly tell it in more detail if one of those threads will still be up tomorrow.

As for the clerk in the picture, he was one of the favourite elements of both me and all the players I ran it for. They run into him for the first time after running around the underground for good 1,5 hours already, encountering some weird and spooky shit along the way and being all alone for the whole time. And he's just sitting there, casually, in the middle of empty station that shouldn't even exist. He sells goods from pretty much all time periods and requests many out of place, usually historical currencies for them, apparently not realising there is something wrong with it. He also constantly tells PCs to hurry up with their purchase, because he has to close in few minutes until finally slamming the window shut.

If the players decide to examine the kiosk they find that it appears completely abandoned inside, even though it seemed normal and well stocked through the clerk's window while it was open. On the wall, they can notice a huge timetable with names of every NY metro station on it, including many they've never heard about and a few minutes long time period assigned to each of them. That's when and where you can find the Clerk and buy some really interesting stuff from him, if, of course, you know what to ask for and have a right currency.

By the way he also knows a lot more about The Underworld and dark things happening in it than he initially claims to...

I plan on running a game using the apartment setting combined with night shift's setting soon, so I'd hate to see this thread die. Bump.

>senile old man
>51
That aside, doing good my dude

This thread better be alive when you head back here, this shit's lit as hell

one of the apartment room contain a straight jacketed woman, you can hear her talking in an language that is not from this world, even though her room is very far from you

Another one? Joy!

>you're not sure how you know it's from another world
>and you're not sure how you know she's in a straight jacket, cause you've never even seen her
>you're not sure how you know where she is, cause you've never been in the apartment she is apparently in
>you're not sure why you can understand some of the words she's saying
>but you are sure she is just repeating the words of 90's infomercials
>24/7

Well I'm back. If anybody's still interested I might write it down, I'm not too good at story telling though. Always write it too long.

I'm most definitely interested. I'd tried to start a thread a while back about a dark, mystical underground wonderland in the subways and tunnel systems beneath a big city, and it looks like you were able to take a similar idea and turn it into an actual game.

>if you slip some money under the door you'll receive the product she was describing when you put the money in.
>either that or a small letter containing the money and a note saying "Cheapskate" with a small frown face beneath it

Just reading this thread now and I may have the wrong idea, but I created a thread on /qst/ on this general premise, but only one guy joined it so I dropped it. Basically about a NEET that lived with his insane mother while the outside world went to hell due to a LISA-inspired (stolen) catastrophe and bands of police and residents banded together to create a relative safezone, but internal corruption and outside contamination gradually worked their way in. Multiple layers of segregation, from apartment to apartment, from floor to floor (enforced by the elevator; stairs blockaded), and from building to the outside.

The first encounter was due to the mother complaining that the degenerate druggies in the next apartment over were having sex too loudly, forcing the NEET to leave and confront them. When he finally does, the three of them hear a crash in the closet of the neighbor's closet to find that an obese man had hung himself some time ago on the above floor and fell through their rotting ceiling. Then the bloated corpse begins to get up and crawl towards the tenants...

Heh, I actually think your thread might have been what inspired me for writing this. Ran it a few times with different player groups and they always loved it, although there are still a few things in this scenario I would like to change and make better. I will write it down and post it here, but it will probably take some time, since there is quite a lot of it. Will start a new thread at worst. It's kind of hard to write down really, since there is a lot of background information which players received in form of notes, journals etc. or had to deduce themselves, but I'll do my best.

If it was my thread that inspired you, I'm glad to see that someone was able to take something away from it even if the idea never took off like I'd hoped it might. There's just something about the dark mysticism and mystery surrounding these "urban unease" settings that's really appealing.

I'd very much like to hear more about your games, if you'd care to share. No rush!

There's at least one apartment inside of which time moves faster than it does outside. However which apartment it is changes randomly as does the difference in how fast time moves

>Theres a door in the ceiling of the 8th floor
>For some reason no matter how tall is the hand ladder you bring the knob is always beyond reach
>Maybe its best not to open it

But when the tenants get back, everything is undamaged

Clearly those are the condos that the Man in the Fancy Suit is offering if you just give up living among the weird but cozy community here...

>any and all miniatures brought into the building will be part of a Shakespeare play at least once during the lifetime of the tenant who owns the miniatures.
>I highly recommend staying to watch Romeo and Juliet played by WHFB's Empire and Chaos Warriors if you spot one.
>Archaon makes and excellent Juliette, though Karl Franz is a merely acceptable Romeo

>Someone keeps filling your shoes with coffee beans
>If you grind them up they make the best coffee you've ever tasted
>Just try not to think about how they break into your apartment every night

>There is a group of smokers out in the courtyard every night. The smoke from their cigarettes moves against the wind and never seems to disperse. Despite memorizing what they look like, you never see one of them during the day.

>The building has an old coal furnace to provide heat. At least you think its coal. The man who maintains it is tall and strong, completely covered in fire retardant gear and rarely seen without a fire ax. You've seen him drag huge bags of coal through the lobby and to the back room where the furnace is. You saw the bag move.

>You get a cable package as part of the amenities of living here. It has several strange "Local" channels that you can't find any reference of on the cable website or anywhere online for that matter. Mostly these channels show sitcom reruns from the 80's but late at night, when they're signing off, they sometimes display warnings about walking alone at night. They mention areas in the building specifically and tell you to avoid them.

>You've never seen the woman next door, but you hear her having sex all the time, or coming back home late at night or early in the morning. You've seen men enter her room, but never seen them leave. If you stop to listen to the sounds, pressing your ear against the wall, they start out normal but get increasingly gross and inhuman. Eventually, she starts calling your name.

>Whenever you watch TV you swear you sometimes catch the actors staring at you

> the other tenants suggest not doing
>They say it just encourages her, and it's best if she's just left alone.
> The Dead Girl Next Door says the same, but often adds something that sounds like "Attention seeking copycat" under her breath

my bad, that should read
> the other tenants suggest not doing

An unexpected guest

When you wake up there's another one

These weird single eyed fellows turn up when you leave the TV on for too long and multiply every 12 hours. They and their duplicates all vanish when the TV is turned off, but our cycloptian friends don't like their shows interrupted, so you got to be sneaky

>any and all money taken up to the roof transforms into Greek drachma
>Except, funnily enough, for Greek drachma, which turn into US Dollars
>with the face of the Dollar's owner instead of the normal president.
>It's good for the Ego to see yourself as an American President

>Once in a while you see this strange looking 20-something years old guy with a distant look on his face
>He runs around the whole apartment complex with a sword and a homemade armour made of house equipment and random junk
>He apparently thinks he's a knight on a quest, he often makes shopping for old ladies and stuff like that, and is always dead serious about it
>Everyone thinks he's just strongly autistic or even retarded and ignores him
>He actually is a brave adventurer, fighting off urban horrors and venturing all alone into strange forgotten floors, he slewn more weird monsters and abominations than you can imagine
>It all started when he was 14 and lost his way in the apartment complex. After all this years and many epic adventures he's still looking for a way back to his apartment. He might have some really usefull tips for you, as long as you won't break the roleplay.

By the way I'm the NY metro user, I'm writing this shit down, but it takes much longer than I expected, especially since english isn't my first language. This shit will probably take 5-10 MC Word pages. Fuck, I really can't write shortly.

>buy fruits
>go to school
>come back
>fruits are rotten

Might be a demon. Might be temporal looping apartments, or even a spooky ghost!

>You see a new guy entering your neighbors apartment each friday night. You dont' see her, but you can hear her breathy voice inviting the "darlings" in for a glass of wine. They always leave looking like they've lost thirty pounds, and their clothes don't fit any more. "She's a real maneater!" a couple of them have told you with a smile as they left

Implying a fat eating demon wouldn't be so fucking rich she'd be living in a damn castle rather than an apartment block.

The courtyard is far larger than it should be. And by far larger, I mean it's about 66.6 acres. An apple tree in it always grows pears.
Blood red pears.
They taste like tangerines with a touch of copper.
In the depths of the courtyard is a small chapel. It's open on various days of the week, with decorations and texts depending on the day. On Wednesday, it's Satanism, Thursday it resembles something the Sith would build, Saturday Judaism, and Sunday Catholicism. There is never a religious leader, but all the equipment needed for leading a service is there.
Never use it. The Landlord is quite clear on that.
DO NOT EAT THE COMMUNION WAFER, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT BEGS YOU TO.

The Building has more sections than you think. From the outside, it's a U shape, two wings helping enclose a courtyard. They're even labeled, and each section looks like it's supposed to have 10 apartments total.
Section A is where is the lobby is, and the shops. Sections B and C are the parts that shape the courtyard. But each of those lead into three more sections, going from D to Z. Which sections leads to which changes at different times of the month.

The Third floor has two small staircases in it. They lead to the basements and up. The floors above those staircases don't connect to the Building.
THe Ramen shop is in Tokyo. The Karaoke bar is in Sapporo.

On related note, here's the apartment building I used to live in. The apartment I was in was in the basement, wrapped around the elevator shaft, and it used to be a speakeasy, with a window that lead directly into the close (extremely narrow alley that has both ends blocked off).
The Spirits of Spirits are tasty by the way.
(captcha asked for houses. For shame captcha. For shame)

It's also my inspiration for where I flipped it. Still kind of working on getting good details for the four roofs, but I'll get there.
Or should the roofs be something that should not be? I mean, the second roof that the 2nd floor lounge opens up to is a rectangle with 16 90 degree corners after all...

I need to know more about this chapel, user.

It's actually a bit on the smaller side, looking like it could only hold 20-30 people for services. It's not always surrounded by fog, but on occasion the fog is more green than grey. On the interior...

It's a lot bigger. No matter what religious symbology it shows, the inside is always dark, with pews losing parts of themselves, seats collapsed to the floor, spiderwebs... The decorations always seem to verge on the blasphemous, hinting at unknowable forces and vile rituals hidden in artwork that can just almost explain it away. The windows may have once been grand, but broken gaps that have been replaced by clear glass make their images disturbing. Through the glass, you can see the night sky, and it is wrong. Stars should not be briefly occluded in nonsensical groups by something massive, nor should they be against the backdrop of a blood red nebula. There definitely shouldn't be two full moons in the sky, and they should definitely not be eclipsed every now and then like some lunar deity winking at you.
TO the layman, the equipment available and rituals described by the available holy books look normal. To anybody who has studied them, they show strange heresies twisted to look orthodox.

The bottom floor should be a bunch of businesses with the apartments sitting on top

Tuesday switches based on which Tuesday it is. For example, every third Tuesday of the month, it becomes a slaughterhouse shrine to Poseidon, his trident emblazoned on the end wall of a hip-height pool, cattle hanging from rafters above as their blood spills to fill out. The equipment and ritual for that requires three people: One to act as priest, and two to spear the frenzied shark that is released at the height of the services. At least one person must die for the blessing to happen. The book doesn't say what it is.

That's something already decided: we have a laundromat run by a russian guy who looks a lot like Yuri Gagarin, Uncle Izy's Chinese takeout, a Bodega, an video rental store, and an ever changing storefront.

>residents know they can shop away from the apartment complex
>but... theres just something about the streetside shops that are just so.... appealing

On monday the chapel is apparently closed for renovations. Major renovations.
A small sign says to give the altar blood. Doing so opens a tunnel...

An unused, seemingly unending laundry chute to discard random or unwanted items

A mysterious dumbwaiters the locals swear is inoperable that inexplicably delivers the player rare items at random times or only delivers rare items after so many are thrown down the laundry chute

Near the mountain of unpaired socks in the Laundromat theres a sign that wasnt there before. It reads "Beware of Sock Gnomes". When asked about it, the owners of the Laundromat say something about "thieving little bastards"

>all the closets are far larger than they could possibly be, considering their positions and the apartment's dimensions
>They're basically large enough for your entire wardrobe to fit in there and then some
>but, they're also filled with clothes you've never owned
>The back of every closet door has a small sign on it which reads "Don't Go Too Far"

I'm waiting to hear about your story too, user! I run tons of CoC and would be extremely interested to run your adventure.

Still here, writing it in free time, but as I said before, it takes time. To be honest I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to forget about telling the story and just write it down as a proper scenario and post a PDF here.

>if you sing "Happy birthday" in the building when it isn't anyone's birthday you will find yourself unable to stop singing it
>you will be forced to keep singing it for two hours, without pause.
>however if it is somebody's birthday, birthday cake will be delivered to your apartment, along A with a card

>It's not particularly tasty cake
>but cake is cake

>Ignore what a metalic voice says about the cake not being real

>Sometimes, when you're playing video games and take a short break to make a sandwich or something, you pause the game.
>When you come back, you''ll notice that someone played the game while you were away.
>But no one's been to your apartment, the other tenants can prove that.

>Giving it a bit of testing, whenever you're not focusing on a game, someone else plays it for you.
>They even plug in the charger if your handheld is running out of battery.
>Occasionally, breathy female whispers are heard.
>"i love what you're doing with the garden thingie~"
>"i crafted you a rakdos set. hunters love rakdos sets~"
>"I ended up using that masterball on that roaming bastard~"
>playing sun/moon on an emulator? you dirty boy~

There are three semi-ordinary people living in 4A. They look rather normal, except for how their eyes glow...
They are Mr. Redshire, Ms. Alaun, and Ms. Camphor. You have never learned their first names, despite them being of college age or the names of their two children.
Ms. Alaun stays at home, looking after the two children and making small charms that she sells to the Bodega. If you can pay the right price, she can make a custom charm for you - ignore the weight of an invisible child on your shoulders, and never respond when it calls you "Daddy". Especially if you're female.
Ms. Camphor works as a dog groomer at a chain store. Sometimes she brings home the hair and nail clippings for Ms. Alaun. On occasion, she brings home more of the dog than clippings. Do her a favor, and your pets will be perfectly groomed. Any sensation of them being less than they were before is your mind playing tricks on you. Listen closely if they begin to speak.
Mr. Redshire is a stagehand. He rarely brings anything home, and when he does, its broken or lost equipment and crew shirts two sizes too big for him. Between gigs, he pays his rent by doing maintenance for the Building. The Dead Girl figures he's paid raid for 50 years this way, and that doesn't count the other pay the Landlord gives. If you help him with a task, he can show you a secret of the Building. Pay close attention to the markers he shows you, they're your only way to find it again.

>you can wear the clothes that you don't own, but you always feel a little weird in them
>Friends who've seen you in those clothes say that you "Don't seem yourself"
>You apparently not only act differently while wearing those clothes, but loom a little... Odd
>If you look into the mirror while wearing the clothes you see someone else
>someone who definitely isn't you