I have no idea what races to use

I have no idea what races to use.

Other urls found in this thread:

randomlists.com/random-animals
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whatever makes sense in your world and what you want to see.

Elves, dwarves and sentient plasmas

Human, anything else is hearsay.

If you can't use races, don't.

Neumono, tozols, astranians, scellor, sergal and cutebolds.

"You can have my bow."
"And my sword"
"And my axe!"
"BWWWAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Think about your sources, OP. I'm working on a Renaissance style setting inspired by the paintings and engravings of Albrecht Durer. I've only included Wild Men as a non-human race because they appear in Durer's work.

Hivemind telekinetic rocks.

Why is that fantasy doesn't have more race of bugs like Egyptian cockroaches or something?

Because it's a beastmen. Same shit as lizardmen or cat people.
At this point familiarity wins,just like any other dwarfelfhobbit shit.

Use hedonistic primally savage Satyrs instead of Orcs.

Then don't use any except human.

>make kajiit
>literally name it cat

I was working on a underwater setting. It had polynesian Not-Abe Sapien like creatures, Sharkpeople, Crabpeople,generic merfolk and others. Atlantians were the extinct ancient technowizard race.

I'm still working on the map. Using Forests made of corals and and seaplants, sunken cities and cave-systems.

>"You can have my bow."
>"And my sword"
>"And my axe!"
>"BWWWAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"
Guh-gig-uh-gig-gig-gig!

>Elves, dwarves and sentient plasmas
Dralasites are awesome.

TGchan is cancer and so are it's OC furry races,

Chakats, sergals, sonichus. did i miss something?

> Forests made of corals and and seaplants, sunken cities and cave-systems
Unless your setting is all on the continental shelf hugging the coast, it's gonna be silt deserts, silt deserts and silt deserts.

Sure but can you prove that?

>Sure but can you prove that?
It's what I heard...

You dun goofed. Where are the Blemmyes, Panotti, Cynocephali, Sciapods, Arimaspi?

>mfw you have 30+ races in your setting but only humans are playable because you created a stat system with only human physique and cognitive margins in mind

>mentioning a setting with 30+ races
>not making a list of them

>I have no idea what races to use.
The ones your players pick, you dumb fuck.

Is there something wrong with just the standard humans, elves, halflings and dwarves?

This. If you're going to have multiple races, at least have internal consistency

The ones in the game you're playing

You don't get to explore new ones. It is a wholly arbitrary limitation on creation.

>tfw my players haven't yet figured out that those "orcs" they have spent last couple months by killing were just neanderthals

No more than there is something wrong with using other intelligent creatures.

Humans.

And... maybe elves. Maybe halflings. And orcs/hobgoblins are always nice for bestial enemies.

But here's the thing, OP. You don't need these other races. They don't need to fucking exist. Ask yourself: where the fuck do all these races live? Where do they come from? Why do you need to have them, when 90% of the time, different cultures of humans can do the job equally well, objectively. The reason the AD&D setting was so much better than 3.5's settings was because it stuck to a few races rather than ramming dozens of freakshows down your throat like you are in fucking Star Wars. And yo know what? The setting was richer for it.

I am so sick of these fucking niggers who cannot understand that humans are 95% of the world, and as a result, most characters are human. I am so fucking sick of having a thri-keen, a tiefling, a dhampyre, a fucking half-ogre, and some weird ass sea elf shit, all in the same campaign, and now it's up to ME to explain why all these fuckers are together? Nope, sorry. Campaign begins, you have fifteen minutse to figure out how your characters know each other. Can't do it? The ones who can't are dead. Bam. Reroll, bitch. I don't care if that race is vital to your character build, it doesn't exist here. No, there are none of that obscure homebrew race you found online. Yes, these obscure races from a splatbook exist in my world. Because I put one or two in. They are SPICE not a main course. No, you cannot play one, because they live 500 miles from where the fucking campaign is starting.

Want to play a non-core race? Get the fuck out of my campaign, and never touch an RPG again.

All of them. Every single one.

Art major?

Legit curious

Even the race of futas with shitting dicknipples that communicate via rape?

I stand by my statement.

Ah, so we're playing pathfinder.

Especially the futas with shitting dicknipples that communicate via rape, motherfucker.

>posting a list

So fa/tg/uys can make fun of me?

Financial analysis and fund management, why?

Races in my setting
>10m dash
>100m dash
>Baton pass
>Endurance
>Triathlon
>Gauntlet
>Obstacle

Since where were those in Pathfinder? Or did I miss the latest Augunas supplement?

Technically, D&D has way over 30 races if you count exotic ones like goblins, gnolls or minotaurs.

goblins are exotic?

As a PC race? Not super common.

The next character I make is going to be a cute kitsune

What sort of world are you going to run? What do want to see fit into it? Those are the two main questions you need to ask yourself.

Don't get me wrong, the fantasy kitchen sink approach (aka "throw in everything you like and handwave explanations") can be fun in its own right, but coming up with a thematic racial list is often pretty fun too and it helps the world field more cohesive.

Like, I'm working on a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting of my own, which is sort of like "what if Faerun's Arcane Age ended in creating a global Mournland?" in terms of basis.

So, I figured out the original races - humans, dwarves, elves, and then came up with appropriate fantasy mutants to have evolved from or alongside the creators. Forgeborn Dwarves due to the abundance of elemental energy, Kobolds as the mutated hatchlings of the now-extinct dragons, Aranea as former elf guardian-spiders evolved into sapience, an expy of the Shin'hare created by elven lich-wraiths as a tool of vengeance, gnolls as evolved hyenas, shadar-kai as necromantically mutated elves, calibans to represent the mutant human population, and so forth.

So, if you're serious about this topic, it'd help if you elaborated on what kind of setting you're doing.

Go back to /PFG/

I've included them as mutants rather than unique races.

...You're kidding. Seriously, you must be fucking joking. AD&D had even MORE batshit insane races than 3.5 ever had - hell, most of 3.5's races were updates of ones that first appeared in AD&D!

Seriously, do you remember any of the following races? Because they all came out in AD&D!

Aranea
Lupin
Rakasta
Tortle
Goblin
Bugbear
Hobgoblin
Orc
Aarakocra
Alagi
Beastman
Centaur
Fremlin
Giant-kin; Firbolg
Giant-kin; Voadkyn
Kobold
Lizardman
Minotaur
Mongrelman
Ogre
Half-Ogre
Ogre Mage
Pixy
Satyr
Saurial
Swanmay
Wemic
Chitine
Grippli
Grimlock
Quaggoth
Troglodyte
Thri-Kreen
Pterran
Giff
Scro
Xixchil

And those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

D&D has been a fantasy kitchen sink since its inception. The "core" races are only core because they have attained a particularly iconic status; ALL races in D&D are supposed to be ingredients that you can use in preparing the recipe that is your own homebrewed campaign setting/world/whatever the fuck the terminology is.

I have
>five types of elves
>three types of dwarves
>eight types of humans
>two kinds of halflings
>six types of orcs
>bird people
>snake people
>a race that's a living parasitic curse taking the form of tattoos that possess a host body
>mothmen who may or may not be ghosts
>fawns/satyrs
>a country composed of a mix of elves, humans, and dwarves whose nationality is more important than their races

An Olympic race.

>D&D has been a fantasy kitchen sink since its inception.

I don't remember the little white books having all those races.

Also, AD&D did not present even half of the monsters (yes, those are MONSTERS you fucking mongoloid) as racial options, except maybe in some obscure splatbook. They were not expected to be played by players except in rare circumstances.

Whereas 3.5 provides rules for many player races in nearly every single splat.

Aranea, Lupin, Rakasta, Tortle: Red Steel Campaign Setting Player's Handbook

Thri-Kreen, Pterran: Dark Sun Player's Handbook (Original/Revised)

Giff, Scro, Xixchill: Spelljammer Player's Handbook

Everything bar the Chitine, Grippli, Grimlock, Quaggoth and Troglodyte: The Complete Book of Humanoids

So, yeah, it was hardly "obscure splatbooks".

randomlists.com/random-animals
Just add -man at the end of the animal names you get and you're good.

What do all those have in common? They are setting specific splats. And the complete book of humanoids which was the AD&D equivalent of Savage Species.

Pathfinder has core races in every other splat. Fuck off.

Thanks for being upfront about how shitty your campaign's going to be. Saves everyone the trouble of attempting to reason with you.

I built this table.

Rather than having races give bonuses, I have them give rerolls for that stat. Toadlings can reroll STR and take the higher result.

Yeah, now get to it.

Not even him, but needing there to be a bunch of special snowflake races for a campaign to be interesting to you, just indicates exactly how little imagination you have.

It's actually the other way around. You can build an interesting campaign with just humans, elves and maybe halflings, true. It indicates that you're a good storyteller. But it also more likely than not indicates that you have a poor imagination. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If only you made this for proper races as opposed to furry shit.

Yeah, because all those furries wanna be eels, sloths, beetles, cockroaches, and fish.
Dude, you're high on the memes, his table is fine. It's definitely odd, but it's not "furry."

>fox
>rat
>deer
>buncha birds

>bats
>fleas
>toads
>slugs
>spiders
>boars
>weasels
>worms

What's your point? That you can cherry-pick a couple of entries furries might like and that makes it bad somehow? You could do the same thing if he had used the gamut of stock D&D races.

Wild Men are just hairy white people, lol.

>a country composed of a mix of elves, humans, and dwarves whose nationality is more important than their races
Good man.

"not even him"

So I was writing up a post in reply and realized that I can't see half the entries because my background is black and those entries have colorless backgrounds. From how I see it, fully half of the races are super furry. I can't see most of the things you're bringing up, like eels or boars.

I've seen much, much more disturbing things than flea furries.

So the Spanish are wild men?

>So the Spanish are wild men?
You said it; I didn't.

Halflings were only done well by Tolkien.

I'm making them more like hairy neanderthals.

Use at least one race that's really cute

>tfw your uncle is a Neanderthal

Ooga Booga, my dudes

>needing there to be a bunch of special snowflake races for a campaign to be interesting to you

Said no one ever. You can do an interesting character regardless of race, as well as a poor one, but trying to push "humans are objectively the best at everything ever and fill all niches everywhere" is just stupid. Several races have actual physical and mental differences that could lead to them developing differently than humans, with several different cultures based around such.

It's fine if his particular setting is 95% human, but not all settings work like that, and if he thinks of Orcs and Hobgoblins as "bestial enemies" and can't come up with an idea for why something would be 500 miles away from where it was born he's just as creatively bankrupt as those he likes to accuse. Also, killing characters because you don't approve of their backstory is not only passive aggressive, it's retarded.

His campaign will be shitty, but it's more about the guy's attitude towards it than anything to do with race choices.

> it indicates you have a poor imagination that you don't need to have a whole shitton of special races to create campaigns

You sound like the kind of person who thinks a book without a lot of action and killing, is shit. Go fuck yourself.

Six-eyed elves, telekinetic eels, 3-meter-tall women, highly religious bird people, and extradimensionally-displaced slavs.

>cretinous opinion
>go fuck yourself
We seem to have a real intellectual here

domesticated trollkin

think lanky goblins a bit shorter than humans that reproduce by splitting every couple years and dont socialize among their own

live in cities or just the middle of nowhere, by having no need for shelter, sex, or social belonging they can thrive in cities or as hermits

maybe make them cyclopses too just to emphasie the weird

user, white people are neanderthals

Novakids?

>when you kind of agree with this user's reasoning but everyone else is calling him out

I don't mind a player group being made up of a bunch of exotic races, if they're willing to work with me on how they got together and aren't killing each other. It will take a lot of work, and I'd probably hate it if they threw in a race I hadn't prepared for in the setting but can't really justify leaving out (since it was my fault for forgetting it, not that I hate it). But PCs are going to be weirder than the average person in the setting, I get that, and I'm not going to force them to play what I think they should play, because it's not 'my' story, its the story of their band of weirdos and how they run around in the world I made.

But sometimes I don't want to include every race that exists in the setting as a possible PC race, or I don't really want to include all that many races at all since it gets to be a headache of trying to understand how all these different races interact, when I'm used to history and its different humans. Sometimes I'd rather encourage players to make builds that aren't the best or aren't traditional - maybe have the halfling be the paladin instead of a thief, and the dwarf could be a druid instead of the cleric - and restricting races or saying no to certain characters might encourage that. Sometimes I want there to be a race that's a minority with a very unique culture, and don't want a player picking them up and deciding he wants to play a Welsh version of them, because he likes the Welsh.

That's infinitely more reasonable than waiting until the first session to ask a character's backstory and killing them if you don't like it.

humans except their knees bend the opposite way

You know, back in the day people included beastmen and shit all the time without it being a sexual thing. Shit, half the characters in our Gamma World games could qualify as furries, at least if "properly" fetishized. Your perspective is just tainted by the whole furry thing taking off on the internet.

And honestly, I find the table of races more interesting than just another iteration of elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome, goblin, orc (unless that more standard list was well above average in execution). I'm not sure how many of these I'd actually use in my game, if any, but they're a good source of ideas if nothing else.

>he doesn't want opossum people

Then use humans only. We are varied enough as a species. Not every single setting needs to have some collection of illogical, stereotyped meta-human species.

You don't even need to change the mechanics that much. Have a selection of different "cultures" that offer more or less the same mechanical benefits as races.

>Then use humans only. We are varied enough as a species

No 'we' are not. There is no human race or sub species that could stand in for a 7 foot tall orc or a magically gifted 140 IQ elf.

>Have a selection of different "cultures" that offer more or less the same mechanical benefits as races.

Not only unrealistic, but also triggers people. Congratulations.

Possums bring back some kinda sad memories for me. Not worth a storytime, but also not worth trying to include in a setting.

>fast as elves
>tough as dwarves
>adaptable as humans

Slave races on suicide watch

>Not only unrealistic, but also triggers people. Congratulations.

That depends on how you sell it.

"You're black, you get +2 Str -2 Int" will likely cause offense.

"Your people are desert nomads who are practically born on horseback. You have exceptional strength and dexterity from your upbringing but your culture doesn't value formal education as highly. +2 Dex +2 Str -2 Int" Likely won't.

If the offendee is the kind of person who IS triggered by environmental factors influences a character's development, then they can fuck right off.

Humans: a common and uninteresting race
Elves:super snowflakes who are always right
Dwarves: angry scottish people who do dorf things
Halflings: bilbo clones
Gnome: small dwarves
Half-elf: extra special snowflakes
half-orc: ugly

but apparently worth mentioning?

I have 56+
Get on my level.

Well hey, gotta at least say why I don't want possum people.

polymorphic sentient rocks?

ew