Rectification of Names

enotes.com/homework-help/what-does-rectification-names-mean-confucians-283197

>To Confucians, the idea of rectification of names means that people should use the right words to describe things and that things should live up to their names. There should not be cases in which something or someone is called one thing but acts as another.

>To Confucians, a stable and just society is built on everything being in its proper place. Parents should act as parents, children as children, rulers as rulers and so on. This is where rectification of names comes in. If, for example, a person is called a parent but does not act as a proper parent would, society as a whole is harmed. Therefore, rectification of names is important. People must act in ways that are proper for those in their station.

>Rectification of names, then, means two things. It means that things should be called by their proper names and that those who have a certain name or title must act in ways that are appropriate to those names.

If Confucius taught us the importance of the rectification of names, then why do we still have settings where "MY elves are actually X completely different thing, MY fairies are actually Y totally different thing, and MY angels are really Z entirely different thing"?

>Old dead shitiot said some bullshit is important to his society
>"Why doesn't everyone in [completely different culture] do what old dead shitiot said?"

>If Confucius taught us the importance of the rectification of names, then why do we still have settings where "MY elves are actually X completely different thing, MY fairies are actually Y totally different thing, and MY angels are really Z entirely different thing"?

Because in those settings, those are what Elves/Fairies/Angels are meant to be.

It's not like there's a 'real', objective definition of any of them IRL. They're all broad fictional concepts with a huge number of different interpretations.

>Rectification of names, then, means two things. It means that things should be called by their proper names and that those who have a certain name or title must act in ways that are appropriate to those names.
Right, and "My elves" are elven because they have the core features of elves: nonhumans with pointy ears.

"My fairies" are fairies because they have the core features of fairies: tiny magic beings.

"My angels" are angels because they have the core features of angels: they are servants of some divine power.

If they are recognizable as X, they are not betraying the nature of X.

I think those are really good points:

>It's not like there's a 'real', objective definition of any of them IRL. They're all broad fictional concepts with a huge number of different interpretations.

>If they are recognizable as X, they are not betraying the nature of X.

If I am reading this right Confucius was focusing on social order and harmony. This does not really apply here because things you speak of have loose definitions AND you are not really beholden by them. It is often easier to take something recognizable, even some absolutely core traits, and put your own twist on them rather than invent things wholesale, along with names etc. And even if you do that people will often say "but those Svargndsjs are just Elves but X". Basically, subverting expectations is a cheap trick but it often works.

This is especially important in politics.

Why should we care what Confucius said?

Why haven't you killed yourself yet, you autistic shitler?

Real life does not conform to Confucianism. And if you want to go down that path, than everything Tolkien "recreated" was against the idea of rectification since they were barely anything like their original myths.

>Confuse us

Zhuangzi.

>enhanced interrogation
>surgical strike
>preemptive war

Sorry but here in the USSA we're all about the bullshit euphemisms.

i want to take advantage of mononobe no futo

Is an asshole. Mengzi is where it's at.

Good idea.

He couldn't have known how meaningless a name is, how ephemeral and replaceable people and things are. His was a different time.

fuck off you naive little idiot

maybe one day you will grow up

Slavoj Zizek has talked about that, those euphemism belong the the same phenomena as decafeinated cafe and non-alcoholic beer. People just wants the thing without its consequences.

>mfw the EU calls invaders refugees
>mfw the EU calls jizya welfare

>Implying that our human-created fictional world's can ever fully escape our human-created subconscious archetypes

Even Talislanta with its claims of having "no elves" has a lot of elf-like mother fuckers.
The fact is these fantasy tropes like elves, and dwarves, etc exist for a reason, and one we can't easily break from.

Because the ancient chinese where almost universally dickbags.

Where are the elves in Planescape?

They almost all live in Arborea and just sort of hang out there because they like it so much.

>People just wants the thing without its consequences.
Can you really blame them? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those people are correct, but it is easy enough to understand why they think that way, and why those in power do all they can to help them think that way.

There are also regular elves.