Cranky Roleplaying Rants (autism welcome)

>be me
>be a DM/storyteller
>a wild player appears
>"Don't worry, user, I'll print the character sheets for you"
>tfw none of them is double sided

Now, I am well aware some of you will try to defend this abomination: some players just don't like to flip their character sheet every now and then and prefer to see everything at a glance.

But please, do yourselves a favour and fuck off. I am here, planning the adventure, and have to manage 12 sheets of paper instead of 6.

My autism is getting me fucking cranky.
What's wrong with people who cannot print double sided?

## IN THIS THREAD, WE TALK OF: THINGS YOUR PLAYERS DO THAT MAKE YOU CRINGE ##

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kPepszyjh3g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're goal-ums not gall-ums.
They're litches not licks.
It's may-lay combat not mealy combat.
And technically, it's mon-uh not man-uh, but that ship has long ago sailed, and I'm at peace with it.

Not a problem, since I'm not a native English speaker! :P

What about Ghouls and Bulette?

What about girls and ballet?

Ghoul is pronounced like the word 'Cool' or 'Tool'.

Bulette is actually pronounced 'boo-LAY' according to the original creators of D&D. It's supposed to sound French.

Magik
Magick
Majik
Majick

P-plz no bulette...

Having blank space on the back of a sheet is useful to make notes on. Just staple the two pages together if its that bad.

I liked single-sided single-page landscape sheets.

If supposed to be pronouced in french then it's more bulayte

>THINGS YOUR PLAYERS DO THAT MAKE YOU CRINGE

get. off. your. fucking. device.

(OP)
Oh and When players do everything they want, and whane you ask what their characters should or would do in the present situation they freeze up.
Muh playing RPG tabletop games is different that playing medieval-fantasy-style GTA.

And when they think that your the bad guy when the DM is more a storyteller/ruler/stage director than the BBEG....

And"that guy who not nottin' anything cauz i'll remember-but still forget" kind of player..

Well it depends of the attention level of the player but in your case I guess that their too much focused on their screen than the story..

youtu.be/kPepszyjh3g

I understand "oh, I'm not in this scene, I can multitask or think about something else" but to so visibly disengage from the narrative, and more importantly, the actions of other players, feels super rude to me.
The whole point is that we take turns interacting with the GM and being the center of attention. You owe it to the other players to pay attention to what they do and say in character, because they're doing you the same courtesy.
If you're going to zone out, that happens, but at least don't put up a big fucking sign that screams "I'm not interested in you or what you do" Just eat your doritos and stack your dice like a proper gamer.

Well... Never had that guy around my table but if it happend I will transform into a rogue and stole every device he/she/it/.../ own to make sure he gives a bit of attention xD

Okay. So bulay...
Potassium K

>Okay. So bulay...
>bulay
Not sure why you're trying to one-up "pronounced boo-lay" is verbatim

You gave me a kek. :^)

>Ghoul is pronounced like the word 'Cool' or 'Tool'.
We've always said GH-O-OO-L in Italy.
>Bulette is actually pronounced 'boo-LAY' according to the original creators of D&D. It's supposed to sound French.
Except a French would say "bulet"

Frankly speaking, I usually put each character sheet in a transparent envelope. You can have it double sided if you want. Or you can put each side on the table by pulling them out of the envelope.

>get. off. your. fucking. device.
I see your point.
Btw I have recently noticed the following: since I own a smartphone, I tend to check rules on my smartphone.
E.g. yesterday I was playing and the DM got itchy at me checking my phone -- but in fact I was checking the handbook ON my phone.

>Oh and When players do everything they want, and whane you ask what their characters should or would do in the present situation they freeze up.
Can you elaborate? Basically, are you talking of people who cannot roleplay?

>Muh playing RPG tabletop games is different that playing medieval-fantasy-style GTA.
I'm 100% with you in this sense.

>And when they think that your the bad guy when the DM is more a storyteller/ruler/stage director than the BBEG....
Hahah it always happens at some stage. It depends on how confrontational you are. But some people really don't get it. You try to be as fair as possible and yet they think you're playing against them.

>And"that guy who not nottin' anything cauz i'll remember-but still forget" kind of player..
I met a storyteller who used to give us a sheet of paper and said: "I'll tell you names only once. It will be up to you to note them down. If it's not there, I won't help you".

>Except a French would say "bulet"
It's an American trying to sound French and missing the mark by a bit.

I go with boo-let, myself.

Potassium's chemical symbol being K originally comes from the Arabic. Alkali shares this etymology.

Similarly, tungsten's chemical symbol being W comes from its original German name, wolfram.

I usually make the following analogy:
>suppose you join a registered team of amateur football players.
>They are amateur, okay. But they're not just a bunch of guys who play by the seaside.
>They plan their training
>They play in a local championship
>Etc.
Questions:
1. Would you start the match with them and walk away before it is over just because you did not manage to score for a while?
2. Supposing you're a spectator: would you interrupt the match by walking in the middle of the field?

I get this issue in particular with people who want to join the game AT ALL COSTS but then they don't really like it.

For example: an old player of mine got married. When I came back from abroad, we started playing again with him. His wife insisted so much to be there -- because she's the type who joins all possible associations, participates all possible meetings, etc. etc. -- so I obliged... just to see her walk away at the shortest notice because of some sudden commitments.

She's not even a bad player when she's into it. But you can really tell the whole game is at the bottom of her priority list. Why does she bother coming at all?

In the last session we just had, we played for close to five hours, and I only got to say maybe two sentences because the GM had to focus on other people because we split the party. On top of that, we actually only did like two things out of the laundry list of plans we had actually come up with to accomplish that session. I have to admit, I was really let down with the session and felt it was a waste of time.

D i d Y o u
T e l l Y o u r
R e f e r e e
H o w Y o u F e l t?

No because everyone else was having fun and I didn't want to butt in just to say "hey, it's my turn now". By the end of the session the party met up again, so its doubt that it will happen again. It's just that we play very sporadically so I was really looking forward to this session, only for it to turn into a bust.

There's also two players that are kind of annoying, but I can look past it most of the time.

S o T e l l H i m
B E T W E E N
S E S S I O N S
I f Y o u D o n ' t
I t W i l l H a p p e n A g a i n

You sound like a good player. I hope you have more fun next session.

Thanks I guess. At the end of the game, I kind of got to do something cool, so it didn't turn out to be a total bust. It's just that in the game, time is a factor, and most of the group wanted to get a lot of our planning implemented, but that requires quite a bit of talking, and resource management (My characters department) but we never got around to it because of the shenanigans the two other groups of PCs got up to. Thankfully I don't have to wait like two months to play again though, so I'm hoping I can do my job and get the ball rolling.

You not having fun will create a drag on the game, even if other people don't directly realize it. It's in everybody's best interest--yours, of course, included--if you speak up. You don't need to make a big deal about it or even specifically request that the GM do anything. Just mention to him that it was too bad that everybody was split up because you didn't feel like you got to do a whole lot. Play it off like it's no big deal, if you want, but at least let him have some idea about the issue. Otherwise, he can't really be faulted for failing to remedy a problem he didn't know existed.

But single sided is nice since you can just swap out one sheet if it gets worn out from constant erasing or a spilled drink.

>replying to more than 3 posts in a single post

You weren't kidding about that autism.

You mean extended inventory and notes on the back of the sheets? And wait for wait for...a stapler where you could staple two one sided sheets back to back.... if your main complaints about your tables players are their lack of printer skills I have 0 sympathy for you. I cant get players to read the games rules for just their characters even let alone the whole system. Get dumbasses saying ill use first aid to fix gunshot wounds in combat like its a heal spell and your crying about pages of characters you didnt have to make for them..........shut up

In the beginning of the game, there was a lot of talking and meetings happening, which my character dominated for about two sessions, and I felt bad that at least half of the party basically sat there and didn't get to do much, so I kind of thought that maybe it was their turn, so I came up with plans that worked to their strengths so they could participate.

I will take your advice and mention it though, if not to at least address possible time management issues.

>Oh and When players do everything they want, and whane you ask what their characters should or would do in the present situation they freeze up.
>>Can you elaborate? Basically, are you talking of people who cannot roleplay?

Let's put the context, I'm playing with some friends of the theater club...
But they can't play without a text or someone behind them shooting everytime they go outside the context.
It's really disconcerting, because sometimes they have thunderous imagination like :"I throw the potion near Player 2 so that he can lick the antidote for his paralysis while I still fight" or actually using their goods to prepare a trap for some big demons before the cultist finished the incantation so that the demon is traped and cannot return to Hell (Crusader Campaign like)

why didn't you specify how you wanted them copied when the offer was made? be autistic as you like, but if your players aren't aware of your autistic points don't be surprised when they violate them.

>I didn't want to butt in just to say "hey, it's my turn now"
As a storyteller, I strongly believe the only thing players shouldn't have to say is that sentence.
That is 100% the DM fault.

Of course is right, in the sense that it is better to flag than not. Better be assertive.

But don't think it's your fault just because you weren't assertive enough.

>You weren't kidding about that autism.
It still surprises me to see that there are people on the Internet who are put off by some unusual-looking layout or by some thorough response on behalf of an OP -- who clearly feels engaged in a conversation.

>muh duh, he's not posting in the way I expect him to post, so he must be autistic
I guess the true autistic person is the one who is unable to stand the fact things can differ every now and then.

>are their lack of printer skills I have 0 sympathy for you.
They work as graphic designers.
If you are a designer and cannot print double sided, you don't deserve to live.

So basically they cannot keep their mind in topic.
They're like user users who always derail the thread.

"My character has rolled poorly, can I reroll ?"

WE ARE PLAYING A MOTHERFUCKING CTHULHU ONE-SHOT THAT WILL LAST AT MOST 6 HOURS, TAKE IT AND PLAY AN ORIGINAL CHARACTER GODDAMNIT

>why didn't you specify how you wanted them copied when the offer was made? be autistic as you like, but if your players aren't aware of your autistic points don't be surprised when they violate them.
I knew there was somebody ready to defend such behaviour. So now it's my fault...

This is like the over-under debate. I mean the toilet paper one.

>"My character has rolled poorly, can I reroll ?"
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I used to get this one from a player who played with me some 15 years ago.

Another thing he did was rolling a dice many times, waiting for a 20 to show up, just to ask me: "hello, I rolled a 20. Can I keep it for later?"

It's majeaque.