WIP / Work in progress general

No WIP thread? Wip thread. Post your conversions editon.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw [Open]

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrP-30MmpvM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kicking it off with this one, nearly done with it, needs couple more detail and cleanup passes, maybe even some rust and stuff.

Conversion for my Blood Bowl Team.

I like that dirty but well executed painting style. Something I allways thrive to achieve but never managed to get so far.

Progressing with my mars basing for my imperial fists and custodes

Need to scratchbuild 2 of each Airbursting Fragmentation PRojectors and Cyclic Ion Blasters for my Commander.

For the blaster I was thinking using the Pathfinder Ion Rifle barrel stuck to a custom housing while the frag was going to be essentially a fancy-looking grenade launcher. Any of you ever built these?

I feel like this questions gets asked atleast once per Week but what is a decent Airbrush setup to begin with? Preferably one that is easy to clean.

Am i supposed to wear a mask/ spray in a separate room when airbrushing or is it fine to do it in your normal hobbyroom with decent ventilation?

how do you get it to look so dirty but good at the same time?

Thanks! Its a lot of washes and glazes, carefully layering transitions etc. I also dont try to make edge highlighting too smooth and straight, but give it some flow to indicate dents and damage.

how long did all those fucking rivets take jesus

uhhh, forever, i kinda like that part of the painting cos details are interesting.

Sunlight's a bit janky today, but I'm calling this done.

>pre-order the primarch, or pull the trigger on a unit of blood-warriors-turned-crusader bodyguards
decisions

damn this looks great!

Shit, I didn't expect you to finish yours so fast. I haven't even cleaned the mold lines off of mine yet, let alone primed 'er.
Feels bad, but she looks great user. Feel proud man.

Are these offbrand SoB? They look super good.

I love that you gave me the idea, but I hate you for making me spend $50 on a helmet. I was totally ready to suspend my "everyone gets a helmet" mandate for the inquisitor until I saw that first headswap.

It's inquisitor greyfax with a headswap. His uses the plastic immolator's gunner, mine uses the russian """war maidens""""

Inq Grayfax + helmet from Immolator sprue. It sez right there in the second pic.

(okay I guess the first one is technically semi-offbrand as revealed, but still)

>I hate you for making me spend $50
Man, are those Grishnak models going for that much? I was thinking about picking up a few of those girlies. How many you get for that price? They look amazingly detailed. Only thing I'm wary about is them looking too good compared to any new plastic sisters GW might put out.

Also, could be worse. I bought $80 dollars worth of Immolators and got two helmets from the whole deal, both with some pretty noticeable mold slippage.

> How many you get for that price?
nah, it's just canuckbux being shit

It was the one set of five sisters for.. 2080 RUB. Set's got six helmets in it, technically, but he threw an extra in because of some (fixable) damage on one cast.

Wouldn't make an army of them simply because I hate monopose armies, but they'll be a fun little side project.

Can I use isopropyl alcohol to thin acrylic paints?

you can
and/or flow improver+retarder

With isopropyl you have to be careful of the fumes, though. Google some tutorials and guides online, but to me it just feels like busywork over using water.

Not that guy but I paid 28 USD for five.

How do I fix paint that's chipped off a metal model? Do I need to basecoat the exposed area then go over it with the colour, or just paint the colour straight onto the metal and hope no-one notices? There's a few small chipped areas on the front, but bigger ones on the back.

I really need to get a proper carry case rather than just using tupperware bawkses...

Here's the back. Also, how do effects/drybrushing work when fixing? Seems like I'm going to have one double-drybrushed area around the repair, which might look really janky. Halp pls?

You varnish your minis

damm dude, that looks nice as fuck!

Do you think I can achieve the same colors using this :

brown feathers : Dryad bark, agrax earthshade, mournfang brown, zandri dust

white feathers : Zandri dust, agrax, Ushabti bone, skull white

Finished a land raider the other day

What does tg think of my magnatized predator / rhino?

Trying airbrush highlights on a vehicle for he first time, no liquid shade yet

(Just realized i missed the top of the left light

Just got home from work, poured a big glass of rum and coke and now it's time to carry on with this turd

Nice Sd.Kfz. 251, really good job mate!

Anyone got a reccomendation of what magnets to use for minis, preferably to buy in bulk.
I don't mind waiting, thanks in advance.

I'm using the AoS 20mm and I meant from where, not what to buy because I'm an autist.

Dont remember brand by i use 1/8 wide by 1/32 deep for small vehicle parts and infantry

wow dude you drink alcohol! so cool! Now you can validate your monthly purchases of overpriced toys for teenagers, I'm so jealous.

do you also have children, a wife and other grown-up accessories that grown-ups have??

did you forget to take your pills tonight johnny?

The only person making a big deal of it here is you.

>when your trying to be snarky but you just end up looking like an edgy fag

Why thankyou, captain hindsight. But seriously, does anyone know what to do in this situation? I play aspect-heavy, if that soothes anyone's conscience.

A late wip. The green stuff base finally found a model to wear! So I spent the day painting away this guy, loved the details and stuff on him! Great miniature in my opinion, I just hope I can do it justice.
Have some weathering left, and fixing some of the skin (have since the picture already made the blue part on the forehead, skin color instead)

c&c are welcome.

Awesome! Are the letters decals, frehand, or stencils?

oops, 'tism flare

I just turn chips in paint into battle damage

>trying to be cool
>on fucking Veeky Forums

the fuck is that model supposed to be

Valhallan-user here, what do you think of this scheme for my vehicles?

What's the recipe for that sword? Got quite a few Mechanicus Ruststalkers and I kind of want to do green blades for them.

The body of this

>What does tg think of my magnatized predator / rhino?
Looks pretty good user. I can't even tell where the magnets are placed.

not mine btw

oh, I thought it was the front of some awesome cthulu-esque chaos monster. no such luck

Who here isn't a grown up? Think you're mistaken a hobby for the item itself. Like looking at a coin collector going "oh yea, you think your rich just because you got all those coins huh?!?". Or shouting away at a stamp collector by going "Oh you send a lot of post cards do you?!? Think its cool to collect things you don't really use huh?".

My point being, you are looking at plastic (and sometimes resin and metal) model building and instantaneously relates them to a childish toy. In many regards the way most westerner reacts to a Manga for grown ups, its contents is irrelevant, its a comic and thus aimed at children. That its story is about mass murder, rape and grotesque demons has nothing to do with it.

Now Im not in denial here, I know full well I'm a nerd, or engaging a nerd hobby, but is that alone in your opinion enough to not have a life outside it? Say, have a family, full time job, "grown up" obligations and so on? Though I did start this hobby when I was about 13, Im now 35, is it not the way of life that you take on the adult role when you grow? Or should one become a kidult for the sake of the hobby?

>user manages to cock slap a troll across the internet

Thanks, glad you liked it.
Its an old pot of scorpion green I found, mixed in with black. Started with a near black color, and then added bit by bit the green. I then went back to edge highlight with pure scorpion green, and then added some yellow to the mix, and finally pure yellow.

*My sides*

Fukken saved!

Update on my Imperial priest conversion. What do you all think? Decided to go with a power weapon rather than the chain sword.

>scorpion green
OK, one quick google tells me that's analgous to Moot Green, so nice. I was wondering about that, although I'll have to do all six blades at once to keep them consistent. Thanks, user.

he reminds me of Torquemada from 2000AD, which is a good thing

Thunderhammer's kind of obviously a thunderhammer, though.

Yeah, it is, but I work with the bits I have, and it's good enough for me. Besides, I like fucking huge hammers.

This triggers the autist

I did that for my Tzeentch, giant Screamer was the basic idea

now I remember where I saw it

Well, there goes me thinking i was special
Not really, it's such an obvious idea and easy to do that I'm amazed it isn't done more

It's very well executed but the OSL on the treads spoils it for me. The lights aren't angled down enough for it to show on the treads like that and the rest of the paintjob doesn't support the brightness of the lights. It would be better just illuminating the light casing and a little below rather than spilling onto the tracks in my opinion.

Lovely yellow though and I really like the mud weathering.

BE PURE!

BE VIGILANT!

BEHAVE!

Thanks, this is it fully magnatized now, all the magnets are in the inside or are covered by the gun or optical o top of he gun

forgeworld decals

How would I go about doing a cracked earth effect for bases? I have heard that cracking medium is used in soem cases, but I am not sure what to look at.

So I'm stripping my chimeras. I need a good scheme that compilments my infantry.
Any ideas? I had the idea for but i seems rather lazy (drybrush metal, grey, off white and white) and looks messy.
I want something clean, neat, appealing to look at, and suited for the basing (Urban/Winter Warfare)

geedub makes cracking paint, it's something with mars in the name

why do you keep posting this?

are you trying to force a meme?

These lads can pass for Horus Heresy lads, right?

Reposting from my tumblr.
While I realize that Slambo is supposed to just be a remade retro figure, I found him to be lacking a little zazz. Here are some ideas that I’ve got going on - new axes since the originals look pretty dull, a new helmet and asymmetric horns, exhaust pipes, skulls and spikes, a servo skull as well as extra weapons and gubbins. Any suggestions?

eeeeeeeh

Are you making 40k or Warmachine? I can't say.

There anything about 'em that sets off red flags? The only bit with a Mark above 6 is the missile man's pointing arm; it's Mark 7.

Do you think they'd fit in with an Horus Heresy army comprised solely of Calth and Prospero models?

Not really user

The head and backpack yes, but mk4 and especially mk3 looks really dofferent than aquilla armor

Also while my predator is drying i finished a test model for prosecutors, thoughts?
1/2

40K, CSM/DM-themed army with lots of medieval imagery.

I think he's just aiming at the busiest mini possible. Dunno who of GW and PP hold that crown at the moment.

Excellent work and the blue colour blending looks great!

2/2

I'd avoid anything distinctly 40k/sci-fi

>mk4 with salvaged mk5 chest and gauntlets
>mk6 with mk4 power pack and gauntlets
the excess of parchement is a little out of place in 30k, but otherwise there's nothing really wrong with them

if you're doing BA, you might as well use moulded on pads, though

It'll stick out to lore autists like me, but in general, it's not too overt, so it wont look too out of plae among Calth

What? I just want to repaint my chimera and want ideas?
This guy is the only guy I have on my computer and I dont want to take a pic.
Dont assume everything is a meme, I have an obvious question.

I'm not quite sure if this is on-topic enough, but I'm looking to drywash a nerf blaster to add some detail to contour/panel lines and whatnot. Would I have to do any special prep to the blaster surface, or can I just apply wash straight away?

I want to paint a glowing white moon on a blue cloak?
The glow should be not a painted effect, but a real glow on the cloak.
I've read about OSL but I don't know how to proceed.

Just try to pose him like how he's laid out on the board, looking like he's frolicking with his axes.

>Age of Smegar

Crackling medium is available from a range of suppliers, vallejo is one. GW do a range of texture paints but they're very expensive if you want to base an army with them.

For use, apply thickly on top of a coat of acrylic paint. The thicker the crackle coat, the bigger the cracks.

its fun
get over it.

What material is the nerf blaster made from?

Those sorts of toys tend to be glossy so a wash would probably flow over it well, but you'll have trouble getting acrylic paints to stick to it. You'll need to seal it very well after you're done, or it will all chip off very quickly.

TOO MUCH. Swap the axes sure. Give him some chains and maybe a pistol. If you wanna change the head out why not. A spike with heads or two on the pauldrons maybe. But what they hell is with the random admech bits? Nien. Does not work, does not go with the rest of the model. Just give him a CSM backpack and call it a day.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZrP-30MmpvM

So rather than splurging on a shit ton of paints, how many would you say would be good for table top quality Eldar or Sylvaneth?

Some sort of glossy plastic with the occasional textured patch. Maybe I could just lightly sand the contours I want to be detailed?

easy for sylbaneth, i paint dryads using only 6 paints
khorne red for eyes
white for making paints lighter
dark brown
baneblade brown
ushbati bone
agrax earthshade

i just drybrush on layers of lighter and lighter brown for the bark

Forgot pic