/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Playable Legiones Astartes (Homebrew) Soon" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

prev: What is the appeal of playing during the Great Crusade and Age of Darkness, for those who do it? On the other hand, if it's not for you, what quality of the period makes you so opposed to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/HwAyYfjg
pastebin.com/h3s0mMkC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've noticed kill teams made up of soldiers from several different regiments is hard to find in the Great Crusade. Bit more common during the Heresy, but oh well.

Either way, I just want a laser musket.

I've never played anything but 40k, but I'd love to play GC/HH era stuff so I can play some loyal traitor legionaries.

Luna Wolves best wolves

THIS THREAD IS NOW UNDER CONTROL OF SLAANESH
READY YOUR ANUSES AND GLITTER UP YOUR TABLETOPS FOR A SLEW OF WARP DUST AND FINE, TENTACLED BOOTY

30k is such a unique time, where everyone was at the top of their game. I'd love to play a 30k game, and I'm glad Veeky Forums is making a 30k supplement.

Space Hulk
No. Standard char gen is hard capped at 40 or 45 depending on what Edition you are playing. You can get a maximum of +20 to a stat through spending XP. Some divinations also give a few extra points. So the absolute raw maximum you can get in any stat is around 68. You can get +/- 60 through various modifiers though, so it is quite possible to pretty much auto-succeed some tasks in certain situations.
Yes

>rolling characters in 40K RPGs

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
How many times do I have to fucking say it

>How many times do I have to fucking say it
I still regularly find myself in games where people not only prefer it, but enjoy it.

I don't mind it. More so when the goal is less to fulfil a power fantasy (or even capability fantasy) than it is to play a character whose struggles, failures, and eventual demise are the main source of fun and amusement.

The way rolling works in these systems is just inherently shit however, and you really can't afford to be doing with that when combat can be so brutal. Besides, pointbuy still encourages you to have dump-stats, giving you inherent flaws. Rolling actually has a chance to make power fantasies when pointbuy can't.

>you really can't afford to be doing with that when combat can be so brutal
You say that as though survival is a goal.

>Rolling actually has a chance to make power fantasies when pointbuy can't.
That's what rerolls are (not) for.

I'm not entirely understanding your points here.

>characters only really come into their own when they're a couple thousand XP in
>he doesn't want to survive to this point at least

>rerolls
>plural
You only get one reroll, that's part of what makes rolling shit.

It seems you really don't understand at all.

A point-bought character still has flaws, they can still have struggles and a demise. My psyker is currently struggling with his power and the abundance thereof even, it's getting to his head and he may just push things a bit too far one day soon. Pointbuy however allows for just more satisfying attribute values, it means you can get your primary and secondary attributes to good values, instead of rolling 35 or under and then coming here crying about your rolls.

I'm going to run a session where my characters are searching the polluted wastes around a major hive city for a seedy bar. What would be some threats they could encounter?

Man half of my post was lost, I had a link to and was asking to explain then, since none of your arguments make much sense.

Random chance > point buy

Otherwise, you're focusing so much on avoiding rolling it starts to question why you bother with a PnP RPG. It's not like entire class requirements are hard set like AD&D's Paladin's crazy 17 charisma. Talents yes, but the point of an RPG is to develop your character, flaws and all and not always control every little detail.

And if your character were to die along the way, that's what new character gen is so fun for. More chances, more opportunities.

I ind rolling one stat at a time is the most shit system, becasue it forces to you play something you might not want to. I find it far more satisfying to roll everything and then assign stats as I wish. And while PB gives you maximum customization, you still end up with a meh character in the end, at least with rolling you have a decent chance of getting lots of good stats. Hell, in a game I'm getting ready for, I rolled pretty shit and ended up with low to mid 30s in most stats while most of the other players average 37-41 in ALL of their stats.

>Random chance > point buy
Nice opinion.

>rolling is a necessity for RPGs
No.

>can't have flaws, can't develop your character if you pointbuy
No.

Assuming DH or covert action OW group?

Mutants, criminals, gangers, more mutants, corrupt Enforcers, corrupt/trigger-happy PDF, and toll booths.

Except that statistics in 40KRPG are far more important and gradient than in DnD. 7 or 8 points can make a HUGE difference. It also means the dice determine what you play, which I think is stupid as fuck.

>roll everything and then assign stats as I wish
Which is not RAW, so I hope your GM knows you are doing this.

>you still end up with a meh character in the end
What? You know you can give yourself max values in pointbuy, right? The downside being that you'll end up with a dump attribute or two.

Jesus christ though you rollfags can't even argue consistently.
>rolling makes more natural characters with average stats that's why it's good!
>rolling has a chance to make uber powerful characters with all good stats that's why it's good!

>no no no

Not an argument. You've countered nothing and pointed out only that anyone positing an alternative is immediately shut out.

>implying RPGs don't need rolls

Must be fun to play with minmaxers like you. Let me guess: your favorite character got offed by a chance shot in one game and you avoid rolling whenever possible.

So, why play a d% system at all then? It's got a wider range than even D&D's dice mix.

>none of your arguments make much sense
Who said anything about arguments? You can't argue any amount of enjoyment into something someone else cannot find enjoyment in. Either you get it and it's fun, or you don't and it's not.

And you sir, do not get it.

Never had a lucky series of rolls, have you? Not our fault, and it's telling that you're making an assumption that amazing stats and natural can't happen.

>mfw rolled Tom Brady: the spess muhreen

>all of those assumptions

You made a bunch of false statements. They are just blatantly false, that is why I said no. There's nothing to argue here, because your post was made up of falsities and opinions.

Pic related.

What has that got to do with anything? I don't want to make Gary Stu the Mahreen, that's why I pointbuy. Pointbuy gives you a nice amount of points that you will end up with flawed attributes, you can't make someone good at everything and I like that about it. At the same time, you can get the attributes you want to max values, so then you're not coming into these threads crying about a low or average roll on your primary attribute.

Try this. Hopefully without giving back basic bitch attitude, if you can manage that. (I'm willing to be you can't, on all points, but surprise me on the attitude)

Set aside your "satisfying attribute values". Stop valuing set ranks in "primary and secondary attributes". How do you have fun with the character that produces?

Now tell me, what's false about playing an RPG to play the role that life hands you? You're literally stating that you cannot have fun by playing that way, because you should be picking your stats instead. You're also stating that randomness in character gen is bad because...? Your argument falls apart outside of being a minmaxer.

That's at best enjoyment-based opinion, at worst projecting no-fun on anyone who wants to give random chance a try.

>Stop valuing set ranks in "primary and secondary attributes"
Why?

If I have no idea what I want to make, then I roll. Rolling creates very random characters, it's not ideal if you have something in mind.

If you have something in mind, for eg. "I want to play a psyker", then you now have a primary attribute, Willpower. This isn't something you can just stop thinking about, having a high Willpower is fundamental to operating as a Psyker. So as soon as you have an idea of a role in mind, you have a primary attribute that you need to get a good value in, and you'll have secondary attribute/s you also want 35 or above, rolling immediately becomes immensely flawed.

I compromise, unless I'm running a horror game: rolling and allowing the players to select where the rolls go.

Horror games are meant to give you sucky characters. It's the same reason RE characters move at the speed of molasses

>Why?
Because you're trying to understand how to find enjoyment in an experience that is entirely subjective and relies on your own answer. I have shown you the door, but you are the one who has to walk through it.

I did like reading how people killed something like this.

But I prefer stories of hard fights and not clever, but very quickly killing circumstances.

I think you're entirely misunderstanding what I'm complaining about here. I've rolled plenty of characters in plenty of system, I don't need you to "enlighten" me on "enjoyment".

What I'm trying to say here, what I've said so many times before, is that rolling in 40K RPGs is flawed. It's shit. You roll attribute by attribute, and you only get one reroll. If you want to make a combat character, there's about 4 attributes you want at a decent level, and if you roll there's a good chance multiple of those will end up as poor results and again, you only get one reroll.

So with that warning, the warning I've given so many times before, stop fucking coming here and complaining "wahh I rolled bad!" Rolling is not necessary, if you're worried about rolling low, fucking pointbuy. It's not even a splatbook/errata thing, pointbuy is right there in the fucking core book, I just hate it when people act as though it's not even an option.

This. Every character, every game I've ever been in. Roll to see what you can be, and see where adversity takes you.

You know, you could roll an entire array and arrange as desired.

Splits the difference between full point buy and roll once per stat.

No, no you can't without GM approval. That is not RAW.

Asking the GM is not out of the question. Nor is running a game with that rule.

Meant to respond to

Nah mate. Take your own advice. If it booty bothers you so hard, hide and ignore.

>stop fucking coming here and complaining "wahh I rolled bad!"
Never have, never will.

>if you're worried about rolling low
I'm not.

>I just hate it when people act as though it's not even an option
I don't.

Sure, but in these threads I like to talk RAW, because a lot of people bring up the assigning rolls thing to the point where people think that's how you roll in 40K RPGs.

Furthermore I don't understand how that actually works, given that you get extra dice and shit to roll on "favoured" and "unfavoured" attributes depending on your Home World etc. It's a shitty attempt to patch up an awful system that doesn't even mesh well with how rolling works, and if you're just assigning the good values to the attributes you want anyway, why not just pointbuy?

So, what's the best party comp for a Dark Heresy game where the GM makes you Space Hulk?

Yes because just hiding problems is a fine solution.

>I I I
I'm not talking about you then, am I? I'm annoyed at the people who actually do those things, good for you if you're not one of them.

Might be because I'm more used to OW, where the stats are bumps and not spare dice entirely like in DH2E. It splits the difference by letting you pick you faves to support your class - like point buy - but also puts some limits on the group to keep things from going overspecialized.

For someone who isn't talking about me, that's a long string of comments involving questions and failed attempts on understanding my source of fun and amusement.

I get that sure, but I think half of the 40K RPGs have it similar to DH where you roll an extra dice and pick the lowest/highest two, which doesn't work with assigning rolls. Also, not all GMs are going to allow that anyway, so I find it better to assume that assigning rolls isn't an option.

I was mostly trying to decipher what you were trying to argue since you were talking in such a cryptic fucking way. Also, you only just revealed now that you aren't part of the problem, so why did you start arguing it to begin with?

>why did you
I posted because in , the user I'm assuming is you started REEEEEEing like a retarded faggot over not liking rolling characteristics.

>arguing
Hoo boy. Settle the fuck down, el autismo champione. There's no argument here, other than you trying to convince everyone that rolling is the devil's method of character generation.
If I were arguing, I would be doing something other than presenting personal preference, and pointing out that you simply don't get it.

Couple of things I noticed for the The Good The Bad and the Alpha Legion

-Anvillus Backpack just abruptly cuts out. Its entry is unfinished
-Raven Guard darkwing storm eagle says its transport capacity is lower, but then it says "follows all the rules for normal storm eagles." Is its transport capacity lower?

I'm new to DW and so is my group. I've home brewed some enemies and want to know third party opinions of people that know the rule in play.

The Idea is players are ground traveling via bikes and have to deal this the first Enemy Wryxs : fast and attacking. Wryxs hunt the second enemy; Panopi: Fast and armored (more so a distraction and to make pilot(personal) checks against.)

I guess this would be Elites: Wryxs: pastebin.com/HwAyYfjg

Not meant for combat, but I stated put just to have numbers: Panopi: pastebin.com/h3s0mMkC

Enjoy your TPK

How so? What needs to be nerfed?

I have a particularly dumb question and I feel I must ask it.

Is it possible for a Grey Knight to be a permanent part of a Deathwatch Kill Team? We have a member of our group who wants to play a GK and we're not sure if it's possible.

>pastebin.com/HwAyYfjg
Those Talons need to be nerfed, even Genestealers don't hit that hard. Or lower their WS.

>even Genestealers don't hit that hard
>Rending Claws (1d10+12 R; Pen 5, Razor Sharp)

Oh damn, I misread that, excuse me.

Have a BT Art as an apology

Hows this look:
Talons (1d10+5 R; Pen 5; Razor sharp)

It is, but if anything they would actually be underpowered compared to normal, since they can't take advantage of most of the usual rules.

fluff wise you'd have to write in some justification such as chaos-tainted xenos.

All of it's weapons and it's stats in general. It has the ability to reliably one shot a low to mid level character and whatever it doesn't kill with it's first attack isn't going to be that far away from taking crits on the next turn. wounds left. 5 Pen is insane, it pretty much ignores everything short of carapace and power armor. For reference, the only thing's that have anywhere near a +10 to damage are the largest of heavy weapons and tank cannons. One of these things would make for a good mini-boss maybe, if all of the players are well prepared and can focus fire it down in a turn or two, but you are going to lose probably a player or two if it gets the drop on them.

Your average player is only going to have 10-12 wounds, with a soak of 5-7 This thing pretty much ignores armor and has a huge minimum damage so you can expect a more realistic soak of 3-4 on your players which still leaves them fucked when your max damage is in the 20s.

They effectively have Power Swords for hands.

It's still horrific to face, even without the genestealer's unnatural strength. Not sure if that was the intent, tho.

Somebody get those marines a sandwich.

Ok so I lowered the stats a bit and got rid of the unnatural strength.

Are you running 1E or 2E?

It's Deathwatch.

Nevermind then, I misread and thought you were throwing this thing at a team of newbie acolytes. I have 0 experience with DW and so can't really comment on this creation of yours.

>read someone's post incorrectly
>then proceed to argue with many posts
>"lel I'm not arguing"

Don't worry user. Now that you've found a way to force an argument on whether there's an argument in progress, I'm sure you'll be able to shitpost all the way to bump limit, get the last word in when this hits page 11, and finally not just be the lesser man, but the superlative least.

>all these assumptions

Wew lad.

Are my OW PCs overpowered?

They all have IG flak armor (4 armor all locations), TB of 4, and between 15 and 17 wounds. This is only their 4th session and they have more soak and more wounds than an Ork Boy. Do I need to be sending Nobs at them to give them a challenge?

does the hardboiled detective exist in the adeptus arbites? or are they all just mindless judge dredds?

asking because i want to play a detective character that's kinda like the mixture of pic related and dick tracy.

Ok, so we did chargen today on an Only War game, and I'm trying to figure some stuff out.

There's two Heavy Gunners in my group, one of them being me. The other one is going for the Heavy Stubber, and so I figured I might instead go for a more support role, taking our favored heavy weapon as a Mortar and using that.

However, looking over the Mortar, it doesn't seem that impressive as a weapon. It's difficult to use, doesn't seem to deal too much damage, and the talents related to it don't seem to be very useful.

Is it as bad as it looks, or am I just falling into theory without the practice on the table?

Any reason you wouldn't take an automatic mortar instead? 5 round clip, 50kg, and you can put it down and still use it within 100m, plus act as your own spotter.

They're kinda tough. Whether they're OP is up to what you throw at them.

GM wanted to avoid using the more exotic weapons for standard kit. I can ask, though.

But I'm just curious if I'm making the wrong choice here as far as specializing in a weapon.

You can see the minimum range and the lack of ammo. It's not absolutely terrible, but it's more situational than other weapons, and you can find yourself unable to employ such a weapon properly indoors or at close range.

Yea. I think I'm going to work on a Missile Launcher build instead. Lot of the same utility, not as much weird shit to deal with.

Not a whole lot of talents related to it, though.

Sure, there are heaps of personalities they could have.

Well, they do shoot *over* things.

So you could be in cover and fire away at the enemy and they can't fire back.

oh ok

So me and some friends figured something out while playing DH 2e.

If you buy Ambidextrous, Two-Weapon Wielder and Two-Weapon Master and equip your character with Recoil Gloves, you could theoretically dual-wield Hotshot Lasguns and shoot both at the same time without penalties

Sure, but it's a hell of an investment and you'd need the carry weight for all that too.

Somewhere around 1600 exp as a warrior, give or take. Also yes, it's a bit heavy.

But on the plus side, you'll have two hotshot lasguns

Similarly though you could just take a heavy stubber and upgrade to a heavy bolter or even autocannon later, which would cost much less XP wise and y'know, requires less requisition tests.

A heavy bolter as a normal human? And you were talking about carry weight...

A Heavy Bolter is 40kg. A heavy gunner character is probably going to want to load up on Toughness anyway because they'll be a big target, so at 50 Toughness and 30 Strength you've got 56kg of carry weight, plenty enough for a Heavy Bolter. If you go to Strength 40 you can even comfortably carry a backpack ammo supply as well.

I like the random roll but assigning the stat rolls yourself, so you actually get to play the character you wanted. Instead of ending up with the 25 intelligence sage with strength and toughness in the 40s or the assassin who can't seem to find the dangerous end of either melee or ranged weapon and has 24 agility but sick fellowship, may as well just random roll every part of the character creation and enjoy your feral world admec mystic.

Just so long as your GM has okayed that as a houserule.

>Instead of ending up with the 25 intelligence sage with strength and toughness in the 40s or the assassin who can't seem to find the dangerous end of either melee or ranged weapon and has 24 agility but sick fellowship
DH2e, at least, the choice of role comes in stage 3. Rolling characteristics is part of stage 1.

I had a player try to shoulder fire the mortar once. His next character wasn't half as dumb.

Knee Mortars, on the other hand, are cool as fuck though

They'll shatter your leg if you're retarded enough to launch it while it's on your knee.

>However, any soldier or marine who tried to fire a captured Type 89 in this fashion received a severe bruise (and sometimes a broken thigh bone) from the hefty recoil.

Shatter is a bit of strong word in this case

Hmm... how many weapons would you say is on an acceptable and not-crazy level for a Guardsman?

1 ranged weapon, 1 pistol and 1 melee weapon?

Whatever's within your carry capacity.

Dark Heresy or Only War?

Dark Heresy, 2E

Them probably...

1 ranged weapon / 1 specialty weapon (flamer, launcher, et cetera), 1 pistol / carbine, 1 melee, grenades

Never forget grenades, use them correctly and they will save your ass.

Addendum: It is never a bad idea to bring enough Kaboom to make your own door and/or reduce the enemy to a smoking crater.

Play Only War or Deathwatch, then.
The end point, for all of you fucking faggots, is rolling works for the people that want it to.
It's an option, and no, it doesn't fail simply because you can't optimize purposefully.
You can get by well even end game with 40s across the board, well doable with ANY character, because gear+skill bumps+stat bumps all exist, and are not restricted arbitrarily.
That this argument is even happening is due to the 3.PF plague where rolling objectively does not work well due to math being rigidly locked beyond the player's ability to influence.

>Are my OW PCs overpowered?
No, it sounds like they can survive a bad situation, rather than fold up like cardboard against any xeno they encounter.
That said, they are idiots for blowing their xp on Sound Con so early. If skill checks come up, they are gonna flub them hard, especially if it's shit like logic, lores, tech use, security.

>it sounds like they can survive a bad situation,

So OP by definition. Thanks.

Only if you are under the impression that humans are actually weaklings in the rpgs, user.
Play them a bit, you'd be surprised.
In DH1e, I had a bone starting guardsman outwrestle an ork boy and pull him off his squig mount. Same pc later went 1v1 with a meganob, parrying it's klaw, then, when getting crushed to death in said klaw, won the strength check to break free from the grapple.
tl;dr stop being a meme'ing tabletop faggot.

Not the guy you're replying to, but Have you considered that you might be playing it wrong? This is 40k, not some game where the PCs matter. Failure is the standard; success is just what happens occasionally. If you aren't going through PCs faster than in a game of Paranoia, you're probably playing mary sue faggots.