discord.me/5eg
d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalAnchor.htm
dandwiki.com/wiki/Hellblazer_(5e_Class)#Ultimate_Con-Artist
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Ravenloft Edition
>No question
Shit thread famalam.

>homebrew warlord
please help, I need feedback. Only complete through level 10.
pastebin.com/s9ZBAzRK

What's a good reason to have the PC's trapped in a small country for the first few levels? Knowing my players, if I give them the slightest chance they'll run off to other places I haven't made maps for yet.

stuff to do in that country?

>"shitting on OP" meme
>not contributing to the thread
Shit post, famalam.

There is. My players will ask about other areas and if I mention a single thing outside of the area they'll run halfway across the world though, they have an obsession with leaving places within hours and it makes it near impossible to get a story line with recurring NPC's or a reason behind all this stuff.

Tactical Advance should recharge on a long rest only.

Have something enticing in town that will require them to be there for some time, during which time something from the past might come up to harass them, at which point they'll now have to be forced to stay and deal with that thing while waiting for the first thing, which they'll have been manipulated into not going without.

>running a campaign without having fleshed out the entire continent first

the only bridge out of the country is closed until they hit the right plot flag

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

Some recent 5e news:
- No UA on Monday.
- Perkins and Crawford showed Eberron's original design docs at ECCC, it was originally called "Meridia." Perkins said not to look too deep into them presenting this at the con.
- At a panel at ECCC some WotC people said that there were multiple full classes (plural) being worked on for future UAs. At the same panel, they said they've been actively scouting talent on DMs Guild.
- September is the release month for the adventure that Pendleton Ward (of Adventure Time) worked on, codename "Dust."
- There is an adventure this year coming out revolving around FR's Ring of Winter artifact and its current owner. Whether or not that is the September adventure is yet to be seen.
- There are four listings for unnamed RPG accessory books by WotC on Amazon, one for June ($10), July ($15), September ($20), and October ($25). These all have ISBN numbers and their prices have preorder guarantees on them, so they are books of some sort for sure. Outside of the September book (which is weirdly priced for an adventure book), no idea what most of them are.

Speaking of Raveloft, here's a question:

If you were DM, would you allow someone to run Simon Bugbear?

I like to kinda build it as I go. I have about half the continent done so far, but I don't have a powerlevel like the guy who needed map names.

Basically a more believable version of this is what I'm gonna try. Maybe it's a mountainy area and there's a plague in the one neighbouring country?

maybe just like, have that be the only country or place on the planet. like the whole planet is just a hawaii sized island in a sea of nothingness.

…God damnit, Veeky Forums, you’re gonna think I’m making shit up, but I’m not. I basically just solo’d another dragon. An Ancient White in this case.

1/3

Yeah, it’s me again. The guy with the CG drow elf thief named Iliira, who at the time of this story is level 14.

Okay, long story short: Rise of Tiamat, final dungeon (I think), found the big ol’ horde that the Cult of the Dragon was gathering. Two of the party members had wandered off elsewhere while myself, the party’s Undying warlock/Way of shadow monk, and an NPC paladin named Sir Isterval remained behind in the treasure chamber, looting for supplies and, well, loot.

Now, my character has been bragging up and down the Sword Coast that she killed Arauthator, an Adult white dragon, earlier in the campaign. Turns out Arauthator had a mate…who was an Ancient white dragon (CR 20), and was lying in wait inside the treasure pile for me to get close. I eventually did so, she rose up and proclaimed how she’s going to kill me a lot.

The warlock/monk fucked off, first of all, leaving me and Sir Isterval to die. The ancient white dragon breath weapon’d me and Sir Isterval, dealing immense damage to both of us. Also got a tail swipe in against Sir Isterval, and basically he was reduced to less than half hit points, as was I. Between the two of us, we’d done *maybe* 40 damage. Maybe.

I did not anticipate surviving at all (for that matter, I wasn’t certain that even if all 5 of us were around to fight the dragon, it’d be enough). But, when I wrote Chaotic GOOD on my character sheet, I meant it. I wasn’t going to let this dragon kill Sir Isterval or any of my friends and party members if I could help it. Nor that warlock/monk bitch. Certainly not while Tiamat still needed to be stopped.

I'd mandate it along with the rest of his monstrous PC pals, Gob Danasty the Goblin Rogue, Ssssypha Belnadesss the Yuan-ti Wizard, and Alucaw the Kenku Warlock.

2/3

I’ll direct you to the DMG, which says that putting a bag of holding inside of some other extradimensional container results in a one-way portal to the Astral that pulls in everything with 10 feet of it. Which the dragon was. And it does not allow a save. And it does not have a size limit. It just happens.

Now I’ve been here awhile, and none of you believed me last time I said I killed a dragon essentially by myself, and the more I go into the battle the less you’re going to believe me. Suffice to say four things:

1) Because of the rogue’s ability to Dash as a bonus action, and because in the Astral I gain a movement speed of 45 feet/round (thanks to a 15 Intelligence). The dragon has a fly speed of 80 feet. This means that my full movement (135 ft with a Move and two Dashes) or even just a move and a Dash (90 ft.) is far enough that the dragon has to double-move to catch up to me, meaning all she could do was a Legendary action attack.

2) I had a silver horn of Valhalla, and used it once in the Astral to summon 8 Berserkers, who swiftly climbed onto the dragon, granting them Advantage on attack rolls (as per the DMG, pg. 271, climbing on a bigger creature). This had the happy side effect of making any attack I make against the dragon a Sneak Attack.

3) I have the Mobile feat, which means that as long as I make a melee attack against something (doesn’t even have to hit), it doesn’t get an opportunity attack against me if I move out of its threatened squares

4) The dragon was just incapable of recharging its breath weapon due to dumb luck. The DM rolled the d6 openly each time and kept getting between 1 and 4, and it doesn’t recharge except on 5 or 6.

So, yeah. You won’t believe me. You’ll call it bullshit. But it happened.

So far has anyone here seen or made any good homebrew tiny races, or monk archetype variants?

Does anyone here have any ideas for expanding the 'generic' ki repertoire beyond Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind? Attacks, buffs, spell-like abilities, that sort of thing?
Like spending 1 ki to temporarily gain the ability to walk up water or walls, for example.

You just won at D&D. How do you feel?

Underground tunnels lead everywhere in the planet and are heavily populated by other races. Entire planet's a mega dungeon with the one surface land being a myth that everyone's trying to find.

This could be a cool game trying to get up from a mega dungeon rather then down.

What does low-light even do?

3/3

Take heart, at least, in the fact that this has functionally removed Iliira from the campaign. The Astral Portal is explicitly one-way and cannot be re-opened anyway. Iliira isn’t dead, but she can’t contribute anymore, and for the remaining few sessions I’ll be taking over Sir Isterval for combat purposes, though the DM retains control over him for any roleplay purposes.

It was still as badass an ending as I could have possibly hoped for the character.

Also very glad that she's not dead, as I have a plan for when I DM Storm King's Thunder - namely, the entire campaign is going to be a story that the PCs are telling in a tavern, decades after the fact. I had planned for the tavern to be Iliira's, as her backstory has her having been raised by a human tavern owner.

Now she has something pretty boss to mount over the fireplace...

Disadvantage on sight-based Perception checks to notice things in it.

>Like spending 1 ki to temporarily gain the ability to walk up water or walls, for example.
You mean that thing monks already get for free at level 9?

I personally would like to see something like feats that give other classes access to Ki if ti's going to be the only way to allow you to punch things things.

THen again, feats that partially emulate other classes would go a long way to customizeing your character without multi-classing.

Oh, sorry, just realized I was unclear on something: My character has had two bags of holding for some time now, and I checked with my DM before doing this as to whether or not the space inside of a Bag of Holding counts as etradimensional space. According to him, it does. Thus, Astral Portal, no save.

Didn't 4e have something like that? A feat that gave you something from another class so people didn't need to Multi-class.

What ever happen to Megaanon's DMs Guild Trove?

Ah fuck, I forgot that was under Unarmored movement, my bad.

But still, I'd like some more monk options that are kind of vanilla, but still add to the whole repertoire.

Like the cover art is already done.

Original Mega account got DMCA'd one too many times, took down the main trove and the DMs Guild one along with it. DMs Guild wasn't worth the trouble of reuploading.

Wait, so no UA tomorrow? Is it delayed till next week?

Correct. Probably because both Mearls and Crawford went to ECCC this weekend.

I still can't believe my DM's letting me play a Bugbear Ranger who can use Whirlwind Attack up to my weapon's reach.

Does the Traps Revisited one not count? Genuine question.

Shit, I was looking forward to more options before I'm supposed to play in another game.

Wasn't that last week?

Looking for some creative torture methods. I've got the magical water boarding down but it's getting a bit stale. Any creative ways to go about getting info out to my captives?

Is there a particular spell that prevents creatures from teleporting into its area? Especially one that would affect a large area.

Suspending them from the ceiling in a spherical room with several Gelatinous Cubes bouncing about at just below foot-level.

Getting out of there would take multiple days easily.

Oh shit, I hadn't explored what I could do with captive monsters. That's a pretty cool idea!

None that I can find in 5e, but you can probably homebrew one based on this from 3.5: d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalAnchor.htm

So are Primeval Rangers as fun as they look? I like the idea of being a highly mobile Dexterity Ranger who can turn into a fuck huge tough tree when in combat.

Forbiddance.

what feature are you talking about?

Nothing gets fuckers talking like having their feet slowly eaten away over the course of a few days by acidic, nearly invisible slime cubes just barely grazing them.

Have someone recite /5eg/ posts about theorycrafting builds and arguing power balance while using level 20 as a baseline.

Fucking brilliant.

>this pic
So how would you stat someone like Richter Belmont? Pure paladin or something else? Considering he - and all other Belmonts - dealt with Dracula (and his army of monsters, Death, AND Castlevania castle which is semi-sentient creature) all by himself, I think he would easile have level 20 even in the beginning.

Forbiddance, hallow depending on how you choose to interpret "cannot enter", although it doesn't work on everything anyway.

Excellent.

What's the current accepted Nuclear Druid build?

Last I saw it was Fighter 2/ Cleric 1/ Druid 17, but the Fighter part was for Action Surge and I'm pretty sure PHB says you can't cast two one-action spells in the same turn even with Action Surge. Plus I feel like I saw someone had found a way to amp up the damage further.

Level 20 Factotum.

>I'm pretty sure PHB says you can't cast two one-action spells in the same turn even with Action Surge.
That only applies if you cast a bonus action spell.

My portfolio of shitty homebrew has two monastic traditions, though they are pretty strictly of the combatty kind.

Not saying that they're good, though.

No tiny races yet, but if you got something in mind, I can try making one. I'm bored out of my ass anyway.

I kind of would want to make Pixie or Sprite as a race, but if you got other ideas, do voice them. Would also appreciate ideas for how to even stat up tiny PCs, because hell if I know. Especially weaponwise.

Are there any ways other then Wizard, Sorcerer or Duergar to gain the ability to cast Enlarge/Reduce?

Eldritch Knight

I mean, it's under the bonus action heading, but the exact wording is:

>You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

It makes it seem like you can't.

Didn't even occur to me and it'll work perfectly. Thanks.

It's almost like taking a single sentence entirely out of context makes things confusing!

Are there any resources on what the Eladrin are like?

Just found them in the DMG and I want to play one. Only thing is I haven't even heard of them until now and I really don't want to make a character that I know nothing about culture-wise.

The only thing I really know about Eladrin, was that they were basically the High Elves of 4e, and everyone picked them because they could teleport 30ft, once per encounter... which was game breaking in so many ways.

Is Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight better for BB/GFB spam?

Both are fine, but Arcane Trickster is a Rogue build and Rogues benefit more from either going dual wield or ranged, both of which preclude either BB or GFB.

Unless someone tells you otherwise, use the 4e fluff. Elves are to humans as eladrin are to elves. They live in the feywils and are more graceful, more magical, and generally 'elfier' than other elves. This creates a sort of superiority complex and detatchment with the material plane.

Eldrin Assassin Wizard for BB/GFB teleporting criticals.

Eldritch Knights are great with BB/GFB until 4th level, then from 7th to 10th. Rogues only attack once per round anyway, so BB/GFB is essentially trading your second offhand chance for more damage on your single attack.

Wish they gave us a Ravenloft CS, there's only so many times you can run through the same adventure.

Your DM resolved the astral portal wrong, each creature goes to a random location, so everyone shouldn't have been near each other on the other side. At least I think that's how it works.

Just an opinion, is this homebrew class too powerful?
dandwiki.com/wiki/Hellblazer_(5e_Class)#Ultimate_Con-Artist

>dandwiki
idk probably but based off of where its hosted im not even going to bother looking

AT is better because they get sneak attack on it as well...

But they are both outclassed by Swashbuckler rogues who grabbed the spells from either a Sorcerrer dip or magic initiate sorcerrer.

>dandwiki
Overpowered or not, that website is shit and you shouldn't be using it.

I hate most of the DnD races. The reason's not important.

How likely do you think I could get away with building a whole new race list and putting a posting up for a game with it?

Got it

You're probably not alone in your sentiment, so as long as you preface it very clearly as such, you should be fine.

The question is, are you gonna fluff and stat the races yourself, or are you just gonna refluff / reuse the existing races with a different coat of paint?

is it possible to play as an Amazon in 5E? Would that count as a human derivative? If so, where in the DnD world would an Amazon hail from?

Either human or a refluffed Goliath, if you want to play up the snu-snu/HUGE aspect of pop-culture amazons.

As to where they're from, that depends on the campaign setting, but an isolated tropical island would be pretty appropriate.

ask your dm
in my campaign, sure, just roll a human, and we'll work something out. rando islands aren't hard to add to the ocean.

I want to make a character that uses a long bow because Elf, but isn't a class that would normally use a bow.

Scratch off anything requiring UA. What would be the best option? Bard would seem like the obvious choice, because of the cheese access to Wild Quiver, but what about something like a Dragon Sorcerer? Ac13+Dex would make me 18 naked, which is fairly good from a defensive standpoint, and I would be surprised if I couldn't find a lot of solid spells to complement an archer style build.

Or am I completely stupid for doing this?

Definitely fluff and stat. Figure anything that comes out to "not as good as a variant human" can get away with a lot. I don't really like the mechanical spread of the usual races or the flavour.

>and I would be surprised if I couldn't find a lot of solid spells to complement an archer style build.

Prepare to be surprised then. The sorcerer doesn't do anything well, totally ordinary elemental spells are banned from their spell list for no reason.

Buffs are rare and hard to find.

Variant human is definitely the best race in the game for 99% of PCs, and the best race for, you know... humans.

This is why Variant humans should be skipped and replaced with everyone getting a free feat during character creation.

I still think that everyone getting a free feat would do a lot to weaken Variant Humans, even if this means they start with 2.

well the good part about it is you can cast far spells and bonus action spells. so you can say bonus action thunderwave to get enemies off of you, then back up and shoot them or whatever. or bonus action shocking grasp an enemy to get away from you, then shoot them.
your damage output with a bow, however, won't be very good. you get flame arrows, but that kind of sucks, greater invisibility and haste are good, but would probably be better cast on someone else.
but i mean, if you want to do it, just go for it. i bet your dm will help you out. if you can, multi into the warlock that gets to smite with a bow from the UA. or if you're not sold on sorc, just do that warlock.

Honestly, I'd scrap everything about the phb human, including the variant, and use this for any given game - feats or no.

hate it to be honest. why would humans just get to use proficiency on random things once per rest, and then just forget how to do them?

I've been considering using Ravenloft as the framework for a more Castlevania-inspired adventure, but two things kinda stand in my way.

1) Raveloft lacks the design complexity of Dracula's castle with its underground cemetaries and gladiatorial arenas and clock towers and portions built out of bones... And I'm terrible at mapping.

2) If I'm doing Castlevania, I gotta throw in Legion/Granfalloon but there's nothing I can really "reskin" to work as that unique abomination...

Any tips, ideas or suggestions oneither of those fronts?

>I still think that everyone getting a free feat would do a lot to weaken Variant Humans

An unambiguous good thing. It would reduce them to be "merely" the top tier choice for... virtually every build in the entire game. The poor babies, having to suffer through the horror of being generalists that are as good as every specialist.

Anyway, you know that free feat are just a normal thing DMs can award players for story or quest things, just like magic items, right? I'm planning on awarding a total of 3 bonus feats the first 10 levels (1 at level 1 by the end of the first session, 1 at level 2, and probably one at 10), both to bring them up to speed with flawed 3e and 4e chars, and to hopefully kick them to the desirability of a normal race.

How about "they try real hard." Same bonus, roughly, as the hobgoblin, with the same flavor, except for hobgoblins, they try real hard because "I can't look bad in front of the first year students!"

The ABI makes humans the best race for almost everything. The +2 ABI for a race should imo always be a fixed ability.

>I'm planning on awarding a total of 3 bonus feats the first 10 levels

Sure, go ahead if you think you're up for it. Making races isn't especially hard, the template is pretty clear.

A thing to remember, though, when making original races (and discarding most PHB races save for human, probably) is that if you make one race too interesting, you might end up with a party full of them. And you gotta make the fluff and stats reflect and enforce some class choices, because people often make characters class first. That's why Human Fighters are so common, because Vhumans make the best Fighters with their feats.

Rip a megadungeon, like parts of Undermountain or something, fluff it as a castle. Voilà.

Not at all, it just puts them on the same frikkin level of half elf bards, paladins, and ... those other guys I'd rather not mention but get multiclassed together a lot.

V-humans are already the best race for martial guys, and there is no great plague of half elf paladins & bards.

Half elves are just good at CHA classes, maybe overly so. These Humans would be the default choice for every class. The added skills and once per rest proficiency really make it OP as fuck.

Are these specific and not optimal feats, or are you just letting them do whatever?

We're soon running the Ravenloft module/campaign. Anything I should prep on a new or existing character?

>These Humans would be the default choice for every class.

They already are, and this would make them less so -- just making them a half elf for all seasons, and half elves are not even remotely the default choice for paladins etc.

>The added skills

Like half elves, but people aren't cuckold for half elf puffs, so...

>and once per rest proficiency really make it OP as fuck.

Its ability checks, not to hit or saves. Mildly questionable (is advantage on charm saves that great compared to humans getting the hobgoblin thing) but its weird to see people going crazy over a sub-vhuman race.