I cast Dream on the Beholder!

>I cast Dream on the Beholder!
>I make him dream of me as another Beholder!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HpWB_ZiFy-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>the beholder now attempts to communicate, roll sanity check

>Create another beholder, but this one is a "chaotic neutral" Murderhobo

Wouldn't that make the beholder focus SOLELY on HIM since beholders almost ALWAYS try to kill one another on sight?

Beholders instinctively hate each other. That's just made the situation far worse.

I kinda think that's why the rection image is angryYoda.jpg

>captcha: road hydra

off topic: how cool would it be to have a high fantasy DnD but with a mad-max themed world. Like have biker gang dwarves and slutty biker girl drows.

Spellcasters solve the plot by creating food and water.

>Beholders instinctively hate each other.
How does the species procreate then?

Passive spores? Asexual budding?

"For a moment, the Beholder stops. Its eyes weave and bob as it processes the illusion.

Then it makes an ear-splitting howl and charges the "beholder" It stares at you with unrelenting malice and gnashes at you. Its snapping jaws crunch at the illusory monster, but it makes up for the missed strikes with terrifying vigor."

Tentacle Rape

But they can't create the guzzolene

I'm pretty sure the in universe explanation is "No fucking clue."

The asexual reproduction one, they vomit up baby beholders if I recall. Then eat most of them for not being beholder enough.

"My job is to cast create food, separate out anything fermentable, throw it into the mash tank and throw the rest to the pigs... I do this every day, with every spell slot.

My life is hell... But Bill spends his whole time stirring shit with mage hand... I've never seen a man who got so buff from somatic components."

youtube.com/watch?v=HpWB_ZiFy-Q

touché

To quote some ancient fa/tg/uy lore:
>The two beholders glare at each other until their undying hatred spawns a baby beholder from the raw stuff of malice.
>They then spit on the baby and leave.

IIRC every Beholder thinks it's literal perfection and every other Beholder is tainting its image. Thus they kill their own offspring for not looking like them.

Hatesex or direct rape to demonstrate supremacy over the partner, then they come back after gestation to attempt to kill every baby they can find. The ones that survive grow up believing they are each the perfect beholder, and attempt rape on others to declare their supremacy.

>Sometimes a beholder's dreams are dominated by images of itself or of other beholders (which might or might not actually exist). On extremely rare occasions when a beholder dreams of another beholder, the act creates a warp in reality- from which a new, fully formed beholder springs forth unbidden, seemingly having appeared out of thin air in a nearby space. This "offspring" might be a duplicate of the beholder that dreamed it into existence, or it could take the form of a different variety of beholder, such as a death kiss or a gazer (see "Beholder-Kin"). It might also be a truly unique creature, such as could be spawned only from the twisted imagination of a beholder, with a set of magical abilities unlike that of its parent. In most cases, the process yields one of the three principal forms of the beholder: a solitary beholder, a hive, or a death tyrant.
-Volo's guide to monsters

He just made a beholder baby in his image.

how are beholders named

with difficulty

They just have a dream about themselves and then that version of themselves in that dream pop into existence.
Which is kinda fucked.

In which case, making them dream of you as another beholder might actually make you a beholder, or at least spawn another one?

>there this new beholder is technically you, it's got all your memories and personality
>oh no, you're still alive and you still control your old character
>why would I hand you control over this beholder user?
Just like that whomp comic

Does the new beholder believe it's the original character, perhaps transformed into a beholder by the impostor trying to take its place?

There's a chance that he's made another beholder, but these occasions are "extremely rare." A beholder who dreams of another beholder doesn't bring one into reality 100% of the time. Otherwise the world would be crawling with beholders.

Since it's a beholder, it definitely believes that it's the real deal and the player character is the flawed imitation. Congratulations, user, you're now fighting two beholders instead of one.

Might not actually be entirely terrible, since Beholders will fight each other above anything else.

Also from Volo's Guide, at times they can create multiple clones of themselves.

Each one is named Beholder.

Great, now we have Beholder Transformation fetishes in the game.

And so you are, losing all items and class levels in the process.

100% worth it for that sick sexy beholder firepower.

Keep telling yourself that as your companions level up and you don't, because "Beholder" isn't a class and so doesn't improve with experience.

3 rays a round, plus an antimagic eye, good natural armor and ~200 hp. Worth it.

>I cast Dream on the Beholder!
>I make him dream he is a human
Did the Beholder dream he was a human, or did a human dream he was a beholder?

You saves are locked in at DC 16 (assuming D&D 5e, which if we're talking about beholders dreaming each other into existence, we're presumably using). That's shit for higher level play, which presumably you're on the cusp of reaching if you're actually encountering beholders.

You've given yourself some short-term firepower, but long-term your character is going to suffer.

Why would you lose class levels and items? All you're doing is changing your physical form. That's like saying a druid is no longer a druid cause he wild shaped into a bear.

Plus even if he lost his levels its not like a beholder can't just pick up new class levels.

>Why would you lose class levels and items? All you're doing is changing your physical form. That's like saying a druid is no longer a druid cause he wild shaped into a bear.
Because you were reimagined as a beholder in a dream, and your beholder dream didn't include items and class levels, because beholders don't have those.

>Plus even if he lost his levels its not like a beholder can't just pick up new class levels.
Beholders don't have levels. Alternately, your character is now an NPC.

Alternately, your beholder PC is permanently afflicted by madness.

That's not true, Beholders fight the least perfect first, so they team up to fight the guy with arms and [shudders in beholder] legs first, then murder each other for having slightly wrong eye colour or something.

>Why would you lose class levels and items?

Because this is essentially a Polymorph, and as we know, when you are Polymorphed:

>The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality.

>Plus even if he lost his levels its not like a beholder can't just pick up new class levels.

Sure, but you're starting from the bottom. Enjoy being a level 1...whatever. And your Beholder abilities are still locked in at DC 16. That's tracked by a completely different system than the class system, so they're not going to benefit.

>THE PARTY READS MY PREPARED SCROLL AND CASTS DREAM ON BEHOLDER ME AGAIN
>THEY MAKE ME DREAM OF MY DEATH
>I AM NOW A DEATH TYRANT

>the Rogue asks if you were dreaming about her last night

I can think of a beholder I'd like to procreate with.
>pic related

>level 3 adventurer
>the rest of your party are a beholder, a dragon and a marilith all poorly disguised as humans

>hurr durr solving world hunger is such a drag
>I wanna be a murder hobo instead

Patrician taste user.

The sentence is ambiguous but I interpreted it as a beholder dreaming of another beholder being itself an extremely rare occasion which results in another beholder being born every time it happens.

But I also think it goes on to say that this situation usually immediately transitions into a battle to the death that is very rarely survived by both beholders and sometimes by neither, so that also keeps the population in check.

Beholders could have class levels if they wanted to.

Or actually if the DM wanted to.

do beholders dream of electric humans?

>They don't know it but you're a pretty cool guy

Items too, if they wanted.

Yeah, the DMG does actually list a Beholder with magic rings on its eyestalks as an example memorable monster NPC.

The last time I saw this in a thread it made some autist who wasn't even really familiar with beholder lore absolutely sperg out and start ranting about mumblrplebitmillienialsjws ruining everything
funny stuff

Earlier editions actually had them become fertile once in their lives when they become much more paranoid and ravenous and then pregnant, eventually expelling its young from its mouth as they burst out of some gland/organ.
Lesser beholderkin were produced directly from dream and death tyrants were created undead rather than a spontaneous transformation.

But they have a class just for them, the beholder mage. You lose a lot of beholder abilities but gain pretty nice spellcasting abilities.

Also, never heard of monster classes or monster progression?

There are metamagic eye lenses and weapons with weird handles so beholders can wield them with their mouths.

I've also always thought that hand-amulet magic item would be memorable for a creature without hands. That one made from a spellcaster's hand that you can put magic rings on to get the benefits of.

>Accidentally beholder'd your party members

It's called Dark Sun.

Aren't beholders insane and territorial, meaning they wo-
Oh

This is important now.
Spells to transmute rusted chrome to good shiney chrome, collect chrome to bedeck their rides - more chrome equals more power, but only the most powerful wizards can huff that much chrome and stay sane.

Rampant, brain addled, huffers wander the wastes alone or with crews of vulture like people steeling other more organized people's shit, blowing them up with fire and lightning from their righteous carburetors.

No one remembers what real food looks or tastes like, so wizards can only assemble food from mutant plants and dead animals, making it less hazardous to your health.

I enjoy this

"Peak Superman"

The world can be best served by Superman wearing athletic shorts and rotating the world's largest dynamo, permitting all of humanity to thrive on nearly unlimited energy.

It's rather boring for superman, and is a major factor in the reason why we invest money in impressive, photogenic and ultimately wasteful philanthropic efforts instead of doing the dirty, useful things.

World hunger is logistical: We could fix it in a decade if you convinced a small percentage of the world's educated population to train in horticulture and move into famine struck regions to turn tens of thousands of subsistance farms into a couple hundred sharecropping operations, exploiting the natural advantages of their regions.

But that's dirty, hot, dangerous and invisible. You have to make it fun, enjoyable or profitable to save the world.

But that's entirely irrelevant, because we don't have magic, and if you did, you'd prefer to save the world than do the needful, learn stone shape and spend your entire life digging sewers and homes.

>World hunger is logistical: We could fix it in a decade if you convinced a small percentage of the world's educated population to train in horticulture and move into famine struck regions to turn tens of thousands of subsistance farms into a couple hundred sharecropping operations, exploiting the natural advantages of their regions.
And then the natives raid their farms and kill them all.

>Solving world hunger is about just planting some extra farms bro!

Uhuh.

>World hunger is logistical: We could fix it in a decade if you convinced a small percentage of the world's educated population to train in horticulture and move into famine struck regions to turn tens of thousands of subsistance farms into a couple hundred sharecropping operations, exploiting the natural advantages of their regions.

No, it's about better distributing the food we already have.

Jesus fuck, do you have any idea how much food people in the Western world waste? We are already living in a post-food-scarcity society. It only seems otherwise because we live in a capitalist system, which has long pushed the idea that getting enough to eat is a privilege one needs to work for, instead of a basic human right.

DHSMSHSBDIFJ MY BOOTSTRAPS NO COMMUNISM IN MY COUNTRY HEALTHCARE IS NOT A RIGHT LAZY BUMBS AND IMMIGRINTS GET OUT REEEE

Asexual reproduction. It's in Lords of Madness.

Beholders are fucking nutters.

Pic related.

>replying to your own post with a preemptive strawman