Any fa/tg/uys familiar with Recon...

Any fa/tg/uys familiar with Recon? I want to run a modern military-style game and in my search for a system I happened upon the rulebook. After giving it a read through I liked what I saw, it seems simple enough while not being too simple. But I want some second opinions on it before I commit to doing anything with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JCT2hEK1fLa2Y4MnF6WmdXUG8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, the /k/ommando in me gets a little upset seeing an M1 carbine have the same damage dice as a BAR, but if you aren't a /k/ sperg it shouldn't bother you; but if you are then play Ops & Tactics.

More details on the game you're trying to run?

Another thing that sucks about Recon is that armor and helmets do nothing. (The argument being that a direct hit from a bullet will go through the stuff available) - trouble is it ignores shrapnel, which is a huge threat and armor's pretty good for.

Other games to look at -
Savage Worlds Weird War Series
Savage World's Modern Ops
Ops & Tactics (like user said)
Gurps (which can run from super simple to operators operating)

But for a good recommendation, what's your game about?

I'm not a huge /k/ spurge, so it won't bother me quite so much, and I'm willing to homebrew the kinks out anyway.

I had two ideas for a campaign: one would be relatively simple, basically mercenaries in the 1980s doing mercenary shit in various third world countries, a la Jagged Alliance or MGSV.

Second idea would be based on GATE, and would involve the PCs being soldiers sent to a low-fantasy world. It would probably be closer to the modern day and would require a bit more homebrewing and refluffing, though I wouldn't think that much (helicopter stats for a dragon, etc.).

Armor would be pretty simple to add in thougg, wouldn't it?

And I really don't want to use GURPS or Ops & Tactics. Both are way too spergy for me.

You could add it (and I'm not saying recon wouldn't work for you), but armor's tricky to fit in and have fit within the system without getting too complex. (It doesn't help that the game has 3 combat systems, for small arms, melee and area effect)

I'd rate armor for what it's effective against, and then for direct actions (hand to hand and small arms) treat it as a hit penalty (like cover), for aoe, I'd rate the armor as a 'virtal distance', because the damage trails off the further out you go.

Off the top of my head, -20 to hit with armor if effective for direct attacks, one shift over for AOE.

Examples (off the top of my head)- Kevlar good against blades and bullets, flack armor good against AOE, ceramic plates good for all.

DESU, you might want to look into adapting a miniatures game - for example Force on Force.

Do you intend on learning actual tactics (and modelling that in the game) or do you want it abstracted? (Recon abstracts it quite a bit - you (as a player) don't need to know how a platoon is supposed to travel, who's supposed to do what.

If I was simulating a patrol at that level, I'd think it too simple.

I'd like to do mercenaries doing mercenary shit in first-world countries just to kill imaginary whitebois who like killing imaginary black and brown people as an adventure. I'd want it to be set in the mid-00s, the run would basically be a heist but instead of a bank the targets could be a stock exchange or boardroom meeting.

Not sure if bait but try Shadowrun or Werewolf: the Apocalypse if you don't mind furries.

I don't mind abstract all that much, I just want something simple and relatively easy to homebrew without having to do ALL the work myself a la GURPS.

You'd be better off playing anything other than Uncle Kev's homebrew shit...

Also Albedo, Phoenix Command, Only War, Twillight 2000,...

And for true /k/ spergs, MERC has a rhodesia expansion book.

Open d6. Decent firefights, generic system, ease of play.

Nah I love the simulationist aspect of shredding white security and opposing mercs with .45cal from my character's UMP. Elves and magic would only make the experience gayer.

What work do you think you'd need to do with gurps (aside from picking what aspects you want to use)? All I can think of is quantifying basic training and weapons. The weapons are available, and depending on the era, basic is quantified.

Kev's not responsable for Recon - It's a Wujcik game all the way.

Recon's good old stuff. It's dated in terms of mechanics but because it hasn't suffered the massive amount of shitty rules bloat that Rifts and it's ilk have it means that it still works as intended.

Remember that it's also partly based on criticism about the Vietnam era, so it's got a very high mortality rate and there's things that don't work the way 'advertised' - Things like body armor being weak and certain guns being more or less dangerous than you'd expect.

Recon is good for what you need.

Don't use any of these: in general, they suck, except for Twilight 2000, which has a neat char gen system and equipment guides, but is otherwise kinda sucky.

Recon will work fine.

Recons great, there are problems with things like silencers decreasing your chance to hit somehow, armor doing nothing for flak ect.
But its ultra fast paced, making 2 or 3 chars a player is suggested.
Your body stat is determinded by rolling 3 stats when your drafted, its 3 % rolls.
You cant get drafted if they are under 20% so you have 20 to 100 on a stat.
Guns do like 5d10 per bullet, so if your not seimming in body stat a single hit from an sks is very likely to drop you. This is good. Most people die from a chest wound from a rifle, at the least they stop doing stuff .

Its very fast paced and well made. I enjoy the game alot

Uncle kev.... the guy whos been making games since before you were born, running s games company since before you could likely read.....yeah who would like something by him...clearly hes a joke I mean steve jackson and him ( the last remaining creator/owners out there) are to old...better play something ((((better))) like savage worlds right?

Stupid NU-gamers

As someone credited in the front of it, I have a vested interest in recommending PATROL by Newsstand Press.

Phoenix Command sucks LESS if you make an Excel spreadsheet to do to-hit and all hit-location rolls for you.

>Phoenix Command sucks LESS if you make an Excel spreadsheet to do to-hit and all hit-location rolls for you.
This is absolutely true. Lot of work, tho....Recon is near one end of the modern combat scale; PC is the extreme other end.

How is only war shit?

Tell us how Patrol works, senpai.

>How is only war shit?
1 - strongly/exclusively focused on its specific sci-fantasy setting - all equipment/vehicles/lore is for a specific science-fantasy milieu
2 - rules-heavy system
3 - system is dramatically broken
4 - system requires several hours of dedicated learning time for all players
5 - system is non-intuitive
6 - book layout is illogical and ill-conceived - vital rules are scattered/difficult to find

I could go on, but you get the point.

0_o
At this point, let's just say that you're entitled to your opinon. I had a completely different experience with it, though I agree that the "magic" system is broken.

Uncle Kev, the guy who ripped people off for 1.4mil so he could have a helluva vacation in Thailand... Uncle Kev who threw his boy Carmen under the bus so he could profit off another human beings misery

Stupid fan friend fags

Hey, feel free to refute any of my points - I'm not saying you can't like and have fun with the game; but it's not 'simple', not 'modern', doesn't deal with real life on Earth, has serious rules problems, and is generally clunky and difficult to play, unless your boner for 40k grimderp is throbbing and huuuge.

Try mine: drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JCT2hEK1fLa2Y4MnF6WmdXUG8

You get together with some friends to make a squad of soldiers serving in the Vietnam War by picking from among 12 different MOSes (they're like classes, but only set starting skills, starting equipment, and give you a small perk).

You have 3 stats and a wide variety broad skills, and you roll a number of d6's equal to your stat+modifiers and count 6s as successes (or 5s and 6s if you have a relevant skill). You want to get more successes than the difficulty of the task you're attempting.

Combat doesn't track ammo or shots individually, instead you have an abstract amount of ammo, and your shooting roll is not just about hitting, but about how well you conserve ammo. Each success inflicts suppression and injury, while each failure on the roll consumes ammunition.

The game makes no distinction between in-combat and out-of-combat, with everything using turns. When enough turns pass, your character gets hungry, thirsty, and get exhausted.

Injury, Thirst, Hunger, Exhaustion, and Doubt are different scales that measure how bad your character has it, and you need to eat, drink, and rest a few times a day to not roll fewer dice on actions and eventually become incapacitated or die. The worse you have it, the more Fatigue you have.

Your character has one or more of four different alignments: Idealistic, Pragmatic, Righteous, and Egocentric. Depending on which you have, you gain or lose Doubt for certain actions. Idealistic characters lose 1 Doubt when "thanked wholeheartedly by a local for your efforts", but take 3 Doubt for inflicting civilian casualties. Egocentric characters get 0 Doubt for being thanked by locals, but lose 2 Doubt for fleeing from combat. Doubt makes it easier to suppress your character in combat, and cause a lot of Fatigue.

Continued:

The more Fatigue you have, the more extreme things you can do to earn Victory Points. For example, Idealistic characters can always help the wounded to gain 1 VP, but if they have 6 or more Fatigue, they can get 3 VP every time they shoot to miss.

At the end of a mission, you get 3 VP (and more if you are awarded a metal for heroism). Then get VP-Fatigue XP to spend on attributes, skills, and equipment. If you have more Fatigue than VP, you've lost the will to fight so much that you have to sell attributes and skills to make up the difference.

There's some notes on how to make Mercenary characters in the back, and otherwise the game lends itself very much to counter-insurgency missions in dense vegetation. (Which is why there's an Angola/Mozambique/Rhodesia/South-West-Africa expansion with rules for being a mercenary in Africa coming soon!)

>Try mine
Fuck, you are awesome, user! Very damned nice!

Note that it doesn't produce exactly the same results as simply using Phoenix Command. A lot of things have been parametrized as equations instead of table lookups, so you can have negative, fractional, and even greater-than-10 Damage Class.

Post-armour DC has also been replaced with a system to calculates the bullet velocity after it has passed through armour and uses this to recalculate DC, instead of just cutting all DCs to 1.

The Incapacitation system is entirely new and is based on the equations used in the US DoD's COMPUTERMAN model.