What'll Starfinder be like?

More inane, unbalanced bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>using a flamethrower inside a spaceship
AAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Is that space Iomedae? Can she use trumpet?

>What'll Starfinder be like?
Unnecessary.

What's so awful?

It's 3.PF. It's going to be shit.

Limited oxygen. Sensitive components. Likelihood of getting everyone involved killed. Fires in spaceships/stations are nightmares.

Well, wouldn't this be preferred on an enemy ship that you don't care to take? Though that does look too clean for a space goblin ship.

Of fucking course it's going to be unbalanced bullshit. Paizo are so retarded that they actually believe that their baseline classes are all roughly equivalent power-wise.

No stupid, you'll blow yourself up.

If you're dedicated enough to board an enemy ship in the middle of a fight I think you already don't care whether you blow up or not.

>OOOPS guess we got into a fight!
>Guess I'll just commit suicide and make things exponentially worse for every party involved, including my friends!

Flawless logic.

What the fuck is this shit?

But how else are you going to pirate the thing? In a lot of cases, boarding and killing the crew is a lot better idea than hammering away at the ships armor.

>mixing science fiction and fantasy in a tabletop game

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>paizo doing anything

DOUBLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Science fantasy is fine. Heck, I might even give Paizo the benefit of the doubt if they made a new system for it. Maybe without the chains of 3.PF they might actually do something good.

But selling it as Pathfinder compatible? It's going to be godawful.

I actually agree with you. Their Numerian and space shit is actually my favorite fluff.

I haven't been following it, but I thought they were originally making it a standalone game?

Sounds like standard goblin behavior to me.

They're including it under the OGL so presumably it's still tied to the same framework as 3.PF.

The thing is though you can bet any amount of money nobody on the Paizo team actually had the awareness to know why a flamethrower inside a spaceship would be so dangerous in spite of a goblin's pyromaniac tendencies. They probably just got lucky when going with their typical pot of tropes in sticking a goblin doing goblin things on there.

The amount of salt generated by their "writers" because of how impractical or physically impossible Pathfinder gets at times was amazing, and I'm looking forward to seeing hardcore sci-fi fanatics tear into how little thought will undoubtedly go into Starfinder.

Except that the guy with a flamethrower is not a goblin. Is a ratkin.

>i'm crashing headfirst into the enemy ship in a hail of metal and fire
>I have already forsaken everything for the singular purpose of fucking everything up the ass
>my friends on the other ship will thank me

> Golly gee I sure am glad I bothered to pack this otherwise totally impractical weapon for this one situation.

We have this thread all the time. Every time we reach the same conclusion: if they're making it compatible with 3.PF, that probably means it's going to be shit, unless they mean that it'll be easy to convert races and not much else, and the entire system is going to be a complete overhaul of Pathfinder that they're selling as a separate space system so they don't lose their cash-cow if things go south.

Why did they have multiple flamethrower's in John Carpenter's the Thing? Why does any party of idiots have anything? Because of the one single situation where it'll save the day in a blaze of stupidity and glory.

I mean, would it have been any better to have magic fire instead? Or perhaps busting out the machine gun.

I don't disagree that the writers are shit but sometimes you have to let the little things go.

>after thousands of years of retarded adventurers blowing up ships while they're still inside them, ship designers started making everything redundant and resilient as fuck

Spells like fireball explicitly don't actually set things on fire or cause damage to objects unless the spell description says otherwise. So, properly speaking, yeah, a fireball would be better.

However, that's just me being pedantic: actually agree with you. Starfinder is probably leaning much more towards being Star Wars than any kind of hard science fiction, which means that it's not science fiction at all, it's a full-on fantasy story that just happens to take place in space instead of a pseudo-Medieval countryside.

>Spells like fireball explicitly don't actually set things on fire or cause damage to objects unless the spell description says otherwise

Since fucking when?

They had flamethrowers because they are actually useful tools for quickly removing massive amounts of snow in a pinch. Might be useful in Antarctica. They had two of them for the sake of a backup.

Rule of cool is always enhanced when it has logic to back it up.

/thread

Oops, I was wrong about fireball specifically since the spell DOES say it normally lights stuff on fire. However, with regards to fire spells generally not lighting stuff on fire:

d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm

>Catching on Fire
>[...] Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash.

I don't know if that makes any kind of scientific sense, but then again, D&D is not and never has been a Real Life Simulator.

It`s gonna be D&D in space.

So... Spelljammer?

>What'll Starfinder be like?
Unnece-
>Unnecessary.
FUCK

That

Spelljammer is crap.

Yes, no science fiction deals with flame throwers in a space ship. What hackfrauds.

Technically, Ripley in a colony installation, surrounded by pressurized atmosphere rather than cold sucking vacuum.

Yeah, that colony that's actually a ship named the Nostromo with her crew.

Shit wrong movie.

Disregard that, I suck cocks.

>More inane, unbalanced bullshit?
Is water wet?

How is that even a question?

And what's worse is it's only going to reenforce that stupid bullshit "convert everything for Pathfinder" mentality that already plagues too many in our hobby.

Trash detected.

I figured the flamethrower was a tool, not a weapon, and they were only using it because it was all they had to combat the Alien.

D&D crossed with Guardians of the Galaxy?

Is spellslinger actually good?
I'm genuinely curious.
How does it work as a system?

*spelljammer

Hot garbage crossed with steaming shit.

Remember that NASA uses a zero-gravity pen that cost a few million to develop because a piece of graphite getting sucked into an air intake is an "everyone on the ship burns to death" level fire hazard.

Nonsense, you just rip the radiators off with your railgun and watch the reactor overheat and shut off.

Then you chill for a few days playing Veeky Forumss with your crew, board the ship in spacesuits, and loot the frozen corpses.

Some people would see it that way.
To it's a giant fuck you to the people that made Aethera.

I'm not saying D&D crossed with GotG is hot garbage crossed with a steaming pile of shit, i'm saying Starfinder is.

This, she scrapped that shit together because fire scares most things away.

I would like to point out they're also wearing capes and jumping around in front of ten foot-wide windows on board a space craft. And firing guns aboard a space station is just as dangerous as a flame thrower.

It's obvious this game runs on space opera conventions and not hard sci-fi. While the discussion is still funny, a lengthy diatribe on why flame throwers are bad on space ships is not really much different than a long scientific paper on why lightsabers aren't real.

That doesn't appear to be a goblin using the flamethrower. Looks more like a ratfolk.

I'm probably going to buy it on Amazon when it goes on sale.

I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi, and a big company like Paizo making their own Sci-Fi thing does slightly interest me.

Then I'll probably forget about it after a few weeks.

Is this spell jammer for pathfinder?

Sci fi tropes about psionics and warriors mean there's a chance Starfinder will have the opposite problem to Pathfinder.

I bet everyone on the team loves DOOM 2016 and thought Yoda's lightsabre battles in the SW prequels were awesome. Magic powers and psionics in soft sci fi seem more like support powers - they let you hit someone faster, or in a funny way, or tells you where to go to hit someone.

Or so I can hope

>a big company like Paizo making their own Sci-Fi thing does slightly interest me
Ten seconds of reading the shit their dev team posts about the rules on their own forums should turn anyone with a lick of intelligence and sense off of ever buying a Paizo published game ever again.

The Fire eats all of your O2 and you just die from lack of air to BREATHE for starters friend.

Yes.

I hope it is unbalanced and unplayable, that's my fetish.

Honestly i doubt it will be that good. The main writing team at Paizo just doesn't produce anything of value.
Every time i get excited by pathfinder these days i lose interest the moment character building is over and i actually start playing.
I wish Fantasy Craft had not died or that people were willing to play GURPS.

Nicebait GURPSfag, no go back to your General and stop coming out from it.

Actually i was trying to bait out a "have you tried x system" reply so everyone would tell me their favorite fantasy rpg system and i could go look them all up.

Why do you hate Starfinder?
I've got my own reasons for being unethused by it, what are yours?

It's a futuristic flamethrower. Who says it has to use aerial oxygen? It could just as well carry its own oxidizer and spew out the reacted product.

Fuck, who say's its even a futuristic flamethrower? What if its magical in nature?
Also who is to say the society isn't advanced enough to convert other matter into oxygen or simply bring in oxygen from somwhere else using some kind of portal, or do either of those two things using magic rather than technology?

How hard is it to make your own system full-time anyways?

Dunno, ask those nerds working on song of swords.
I imagine its not too hard for something like Starfinder though because half of the work is already done since you are borrowing heavily from an existing system.

The PCs could be the invaders doing a small raid so they don't give a fuck if the goblin den has no oxygen

Probably.
But i'll still give it a shot because i think it looks interesting.
Also how else can i play a Ratman Space Detective/novelist who is secretly basing all of his novels off of his own experiences?

Wasn't it Dallas'?