Lego Virtual Wargame Community

So... Here's an interesting, if roundabout thing I found that you can do:

alternativeto.net/software/lego-digital-designer/
Here's a huge list of official and unnofficial Lego Building software, where you can create fully colored 3d models. Most, if not all of them have the ability for you to export to a 3d model format, colors intact.

From there it's a simple matter of converting and exporting it from Blender to be usable with TTS, or BattleBox3D(A free, Windows-only alternative to Tabletop Simulator)
battlebox3d.com/

So... Free, Easy Models and terrain building with a high degree of customization in full-color, free virtual software to run games online with, and a fuckton of Lego-based Wargames: brikwars.com/wargames.htm
Not to mention that Lego Wargames aren't even the limit of this medium. between the Endless customizability of Lego, and the ability to scale models, you can easily tweak this to work with virtually any wargame.

In other words, this is absolutely everything we need to get a Virtual Lego Wargame community going. Thoughts? I'd be willing to gather a repository of books, models, and other tools to get something like this started. I also dabble in 3D Modeling, so I'd be more than willing to create a large 3d base for BB3D that will work with the Snap-to-grid feature.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/"mobile frame"/type/op/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm interested in this, and it'd be awesome to see Veeky Forums get shit done again, but you have to realize something: Veeky Forums is lazy as fuck. If you want to make this a thing and get it going, you're going to need to do a lot of the legwork to get this started. Namely finding a game, gathering the models, and creating a repo so anyone can drag, drop, and get started playing.

Fortunately, there's two incredibly popular Wargames with most of the models already made officially by lego: X-wings and Armada. Get that started, and work on other stuff, and you'll get something started.

Oh, and don't bother with 40k at first. The game sucks, so it's really about the models and the lore, not actually playing.

>Thoughts?

I feel like you are unaware of Mobile Frame Zero.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/text/"mobile frame"/type/op/

>with most of the models already made officially by lego: X-wings and Armada.
That's actually an excellent point - hell, they even make the micro versions of the "spotlight" ships like the TIE, X-Wing and Star Destroyer, and all the random shit can be done with sufficient skill/imagination

Man, I recall that from a year or two back, do people still play?

Worth noting you wouldn't be able to play MFZ this way, since you wouldn't be able to break the model on a brick-by-brick basis.

Admittedly, it'd be pretty cool to have Stud.io support in a VTT, but really MFZ doesn't translate. It's about the tactile part of Lego as much as anything else, so a lot of what makes it good wouldn't work well with obtuse VTT controls. I'm sure there's other games that would be good - Imperial Assault, X-Wing, Armada, Mordheim or Necromunda come to mind - but the things that make Lego wargames good don't translate all that well.

I've got parts on order for three distinct MFZ squads as well as custom stands and dice for all of them. Planning to use it as a sort of polished introductory setup for the game with my D&D group, since we play for six hours then usually a boardgame before we go our separate ways. Probably not going to have it all together for another month at least, though, since I stopped collecting Lego for the last decade or so.

So... I took your advice and looked through the LDD Galleries... and wow this is a little too easy. I've already downloaded every ship for the Rebels side, with the exception of the models from the Ghost Expansion(VCX-100 and Attack Shuttle)

I mean, by the end of the week I should have everything you need to play, provided I can get scans of the cardboard pieces and the cards, though /swg/ should be pretty helpful for that.

You might also do well by lurking in the Lego General thread on /toy/:

They can help you out with LDD questions, part numbers, etc.

Thanks, I'll do that. I found the missing Rebels ships, and I'm currently about halfway through the Imperials. I'll link you guys to a MEGA folder when I'm done.

Oh, it's also important to note that because of the scale tool in BB3D, These models are indeed compatible with Armada. Neat.

>MFZ
I recently played it with some friends, because we were interested in wargames, but weren't ready to dump money yet.
I really enjoyed the alternating activations and that you can just blow parts off your guys. Can only recommend it if you've got some free time

Lego's will just add a needless step to the whole thing.
What we need is to rip assets from TTS so people can use them on BB3D. once people have the minis and stuff they want they will play.

bump

Converting the skins from the TTS models is more trouble than it's worth trust me.

The next BB3D update supposedly would open TTS assets natively

>do people still play?
As often as I can.

Just ordered the parts for a squad of martian tripods.

bump.

Absolutely Tentacular, my dude.

What systems would be good for having technic/ccbs MOCs used as the miniatures? While Mobile Frame Zero looked good, it also looked like it was designed for models much smaller than the standard for technic/ccbs moc scale. I've also looked at Brikwars, and it seems only the older version of that has rules for unit types that are not confined to traditional squad unit concepts, with the newer version dropping those mechanics altogether save for the hero unit. What would you guys suggest? Should I stick with older Brikwars rules, or is there a better system to manage this sort of thing?

What he said

>I'm totally not doing this for clicks

Big issue I'm having though is mounting AA and OLS weapons without wrecking the model's balance.