Looking for some tips on EDH

So here's the deal:
>Casual edh play group
>Don't have infinite money to spend on edh, but am willing to spend a decent amount, just not like 700 dollars for a single deck.
>Setting is typically quite casual but competitive
>One friend though
>This guy
>Basically only runs black decks (With other colors, theyre just always at least black)
>Always recursion and creature hate
>I typically run creature heavy decks, or at least decks that focus on the commander actually being in play
>Most of my decks don't have a real way to deal with his Karador type decks, where he recursions everything and just kills all my creatures.
What would you guys recommend I play that can actually hold up against his decks? He basically plays Gisa, Ghanti, and Karador, and they are all just creature hate and recursion. He does have an Arjun deck, but he never plays it. I just want to make him want to play a different type of deck every once in awhile so I can play something besides my Dragonlord Ojutai deck. It can get frustrating constantly dealing with the same type of deck, especially when it typically counters your decks. (I run Brago, Atarka WR, Melek, Rubinia mind controll, so typically I really want my commander on the field. I know it isn't realistic to expect it to never get killed, but his decks are basically 40% kill spells.)

TL;DR: How do I deal with a player who only plays black recursion and creature hate, especially when I like to play creatures?

Also, general tips and tricks for MTG EDH thread?

If single target kill spells, pack protection for your commander (hexproof, shroud, regeneration) If board wipes, consider something like Cauldron of Souls, or spells which blink your whole board (hello Brago)

Also, consider running generic grave hate cards to undo his recursion engines. Anything that exiles the yard is good.

I was actually wondering what would be a decent commander to look into building a deck for that would punish his playstyle. Guess I didn't make that clear enough. I've held off on making a counter to his stuff for a long time, because I think thats a shitty way to play, but he just keeps making more decks that are basically the same deck, which happens to counter the majority of my decks, and won't play anything else. I just want to make a commander that will fuck with his decks so he will play something else once in a while.

Anafenza the Foremost.

Oh yeah, thats nice. I'll have to make sure it doesn't get blown to smithereens but yeah.

Considering you're in White and Green, the best colours for protecting shit, you shouldn't have too hard a time.

Oh yeah, i was figuring asceticism, regenerate effects, gift of immortality would all be decent things. Maybe give it indestructible. if that fails though, it isnt hard in those colors to just recursion it either.

Relic of Progenitus, Grafdigger's Cage, and Nihil Spellbomb are my goto answers for graveyards in most decks, with stuff like Scavenging Ooze and Tormod's Crypt coming close behind. In terms of keeping creatures safe, Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots help greatly.

Basic tips, you need to exploit every resource you have. This includes mana, cards in hand, life total, cards in deck and graveyard, whatever. Having engines to combat his will go a long way. Don't be afraid to make enemies by killing key pieces, and if someone is on the back foot and you have a way to kill them at instant speed, let them live but make sure they know what's up. Typically, they'll keep away from annoying you and hope that you'll make a mistake.

On that note, always aim for the best play. In multiplayer games, mistakes you make can get punishedwy harder than in 1v1. Similarly, punish mistakes your opponents make as much as possible.

If you really want to make him stop, and have 60$ lying around, leovold is an option. literally the most frustrating commander ever to play against.

>>Basically only runs black decks
Sword of feast and famine pushes monoblack/golgari/abzan's shit in so hard it seeps out of their mouth, and is playable in every color - especially good for white or black since they can tutor it easily. Also pack graveyard hate - Scavenging Ooze is great in green, and Ravenous Trap/Bojuka Bog in black (alternatively you can just take advantage of their playstyle and reanimate their shit by yourself). In other colors you're unfortunately locked into sorcery speed artifact/enchantment answers which are viable dispell targets.
Leovold is also frustrating to play by yourself. EDH is a social game, not solitaire.

Alright, so since I'm a faggot, I'm trying to switch things up a bit and make a slight tweak to EDH to have a Sorcery as a commander instead. There is no commander tax, but you can only cast your ''signature spell'' once a turn. Sorceries only too. I've been building a few things on cockatrice and it looks like a lot of fun, but I wondered if you guys would try it

Tormods crypt, Relic of Progenetis, groundswell, bojuka bog are great cards that counter Karador pretty well. You can also pick them up for a generally good price

I would know, I loaded my girlfriend's deck with them to counter my spicy Karador deck

Play Grand Arbiter group slug.

Sapling of Colfenor is indestructible.

Play enchantment and artifact Decks with general graveyard. He can't do recursion and can't interact with your artifacts or enchantments.

>play a duel against Rafiq
>Boros "aggro" versus the king of UGx goodstuff and cheap shots
>Lapse of Certainty his first Rafiq cast
>Pyroblast the second
>instant speed rout when he finally mounts a decent offensive
>winning the value game with skullclamp all the while
>eventually chunk him for 32 damage on turn 9
Boros """""""aggro""""""" is the fucking best.

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed punishes noncreature spells, making it hurt to cast kill spells. Stick hexproof on him and it turns into a brawl, lest the opponents decide to eat 6 damage per spell. Even if he eats a kill spell, you're in red and green, the two easiest colours to get tons of mana.

Pro Tip: Stop playing EDH

You could just buy the Meren precon and mod it here and there. Why not BECOME the hate and recursion?

>names an artifact to counter a deck
>proceeds to name decks that are green and green white

Blinking doesn't dodge a board wipe, user.

Leyline of the Void
Rest in Peace
Bojuka Bog
Nihil Spellbomb
Authority of the Consuls
Grafdigger's Cage

Basically, anything that eliminates the graveyard as a zone; even better at instant speed, right after he's buried something juicy.

It does if its until end of turn blink. Insta-blink doesnt of course.