EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Shit commanders edition

Previously on /edh/ :
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread topic
What shit commanders do you run?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wierdzard-spellslinging/
whatsinstandard.com/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/for-the-horde-of-notions-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>shit commanders edition
>Treva
How dare you

What does Treva do that other Bant Commanders can't?

sentimental memories

>thread topic
user, ALL my commanders are shit, my only two decks I have right now are zirilian and hidetsugu

As for the thread topic:

What shit commanders DON'T I run

But muh Gitrog :(

Ghave's in there too

It's all in how I build them

poorly

total Magic noob here.

why is this called /edh/, what does that stand for? shouldnt it be /mtg/?

>play a duel against Rafiq
>Boros "aggro" versus the king of UGx goodstuff and cheap shots
>Lapse of Certainty his first Rafiq cast
>Pyroblast the second
>instant speed rout when he finally mounts a decent offensive
>winning the value game with skullclamp all the while
>eventually chunk him for 32 damage on turn 9
Boros """""""aggro""""""" is the fucking best.

I want to build Skittles since i have him lying around and i never built a mono-B deck, is infect dickish? My playgroup plays with the 15 poison counters rule.

Yeah okay I'll allow it. I've kept all my Invasion Dragon legends because I like dragons, and I got 9th out of 30 at one of those old Junior invitational things back in the day with a 5 color Legendary Dragon deck way back in the day.

Elder Dragon Highlander
Because the original commanders were the 4 Elder Dragons

Treva was one of two Dragons I put into a shitty Sliver deck along with Hivestone back in high school, the other being Arcades Sabboth. Treva was also my very first EDH deck.

Nicol Bolas, Vaevictis Asmadi, Chromium, Arcades Sabboth, Palladia-Mors.

I built a deck for them because they were my favorite cards when I was a kid. Not one of the decks is any good though...

This is Commander a format of magic where you build your deck around a legendary creature of your choice, the "commander" of your deck. Instead of the usual deckbuilding rules you are allowed exactly 99 cards + your commander in your deck, max 1 of each card except for basic lands, all the cards must be of a color/colors present on your commander, your commander sits in a specific zone, the "command zone", from wich you can cast anytime you could normally cast it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wierdzard-spellslinging/
I need two cuts for Covenant of Minds and Fall of the Titans, as I feel I never hit the Instans/Sorceries in the deck when Melek is out, what should go?

If you do play him bring candy for people to use as their infect Counters. Nobody will be that mad.

Also, inject ebola in the candies, so it fits with infect them.

>
>
>I made the charitable assumption that everyone understood that cutthroat Maga decks run Clock of Omens. Apparently that was a bit too charitable for some people in this general.

>
>Requires less lands to go infinite. Same number of cards. Also a semi-redundant vital effect. Or do people not run Magus of the Coffers either?

I'd take out bedlam reveler, niblis of frost, or sphinx of the final word, and find room for young pyromancer.

>Anons think that colorless decks are supposed to be fun for everyone
>When all the most brutal stax pieces have far less of an effect on them and they can ramp faster than anything else

Educate them by sticking winter orbs up their asses.

You don't deserve to be called a Boros player

I might actually do it
>I swing with Skittles
>ok, path
>but are you sure you don't want these 4 juicy gummy bears?

>What shit commanders do you run?
Depala and Feldon are both fairly bottom of the barrel. I'm working on Phelddagrif and Lord of Tresserhorn and while she's not a total shit commander Sydri for my esper artifacts is by far the inferior choice to Sharuum even if it lets me play with some weird fun options

>not using skittles for skittles infect damage

Does anyone else have problems with getting mana screwed?

I asked here before and you told me to run like 40 lands and then cut a land per three mana accelerators. I run 40 lands AND a few mana rocks and I still get shit starting hands sometimes.

>sometimes
yes, sometimes you get unlucky. Mulligan and try again

That's a whole lot of creatures for a Melek deck, I'm running 9 counting Melek if I remember correctly.
>The Electromancers
Baral
Goblin Electromancer
Mizzix
>Beatsticks/DMG
Talrand
Peezy
Guttersnipe
Disciple of the Ring
>Value/Combo Piece
Dualcaster Mage

I know this isn't what you were asking, but look into getting both Confluences in your colors if you can, Vandalblast and Smash. Some good ways to protect Melek are Counterflux and Suffocating Blast (You can't cast Blast without a legal target for the burn though, luckily Melek has 4 toughness in a pinch you can hit him).

Riptide Lab is kind of a staple, in my list 7/9 creatures are wizards so it's pretty amazing. It also goes infinite with Dualcaster Mage, Turnabout and a bunch of lands. Dualcaster mage also goes infinite with Rite of Replication.

if I had to make 2 cuts it would probably be Fog Bank and Viashino Heretic.

>Tfw ended up cutting Insurrection from my Melek list after realizing the last 5 times I cast it were at the end of a Mind's Desire to give my Talrand/YP tokens haste and there were better things I could do with that slot.

How is Feldon bad? Reanimation (sort of) as an activated ability off color for a reasonable price.

Dude, nice! I was actually thinking about Laspe of Certainty for my deck to have for the occasional moment when I really need to protect a piece or derail and opponent. And don't listen to , you do the Legion proud, son.

you should build this next

are there any commanders that essentially hold the board hostage due to consequences of being removed?

Space Baby

i want to buy a bunch of cards for my lifegain deck but i feel like that would be an irresponsible use of money

help me rationalize doing so

Even if you run 90 lands there will be those games where you get 7 spells in your opening hand. Having a good ratio just means the chance at an unkeepable opening hand becomes lower, not that it'll never happen.

Rules question: if I tutor Eldrazi Conscription with Sovereign of Lost Alara, will the Annihilator trigger?

Archangel of thune is amazing, buy her. The fact that one card can grant you a completely new going wide/tall wincon is amazing, not to mention her amazing defensive properties of putting all your blockers on steroids.

Who's better for mono red toolbox, zirilian or feldon?

Hidetsugu

>in response, tap
>hold priority, flash in Dictate and/or play Overblaze

He's not COMPLETE garbage but just about anything he does can be done better somewhere else and monochrome, especially mono-red, is a bitter pill to swallow

No. For a "when ... Attacks" trigger to trigger it needs to be declared as an attacker. Since the sovereign and annihimator trigger happen during the same momemt, the annihilator can't trigger since the conscription is not on the battlefield yet.

Angry Omnath, especially if it's a boardwipe and there's lots of his buddies out

Asking here because there isn't a Standard general and because I'm a newfag.

MO cards are currently playable in std since its a "core set", correct?

no, they're done with core sets

Uh, no. What gave you that idea? Something being a core set or not has nothing to do with what's in standard.
whatsinstandard.com/
This'll tell you everything you need to know.

If I'm a poorfag, should I waste like 4$ getting decent dual-lands? Is it really that important?

Because desu I'd prefer to get actual cards to substitute for the shit cards from the precon.

Duel lands are nice, but taplands are acceptable. It all really depends how fast you want the deck, meng.

Kek has blessed you with dubs. This means that you should do what your heart tells you is right. Ride free user.

Ok, I fucked up and bought the oversize commander instead of the real deal.
I have ordered the real one now, but it might not arrive by Friday.

Does your LGS typically allow you to use the oversized card or a proxy?

Feldon. Mono Red has so much discard support to fuel his ability (Faithless Looting, Wheels, etc.) and you wont be limited to dragons.

i don't see why not

anyone who would get upset is probably the kind of player you wouldn't want to play with anyway

They probably won't mind, but just in case it's probably best to ask around whether someone you know or someone at your LGS has whatever you wanna use as your commander.

I wouldn't care and unless your LGS is full of raging autists, none of them should care either. Just keep a sleeved proxy for when it's returned to your hand something.

As I suspected, thanks

Yeah, the issue is when it's returned, or decked, or something like that.

If they complain tell them you're poor and they're being wealthcists.

Most budget decks still play well with only pain/check/bounce/scry/tainted/battle/tri lands

4 pale recluse is too many mate. I run 1 pale recluse one twisted abomination and two faerie macabre main board just because fuck affinity. Also helps against control fags trying to snap remand your 3rd living end

hey buddy i think youve got the wrong door, the modern club is two threads down

My LGS is asking 225 US post taxes for a box of mm3.

Mostly want it for EDH stuff, since alot of it seems good in general for EDH.

I have the 5 2016 prec0ns, a few rares and mythics from the standard, and thats about it. don't have any other magic cards.
Only interested in EDH.

Should i get a box for 225?

no, just buy the singles you want.
damnation, path, and friends are all going to keep plummeting in price. a lot of them already have. Just buy the cards you want from the set or think you'll probably need, like damnation.

wait a minute...

are those a bunch of shit jojo references????

How the fuck did that happen

No. If you're only interested in EDH, there are several staple singles that you should be going for. Yes some good cards for EDH appear in MM3, but not nearly enough for you to be considering a box. Wait a couple months after release, then buy the singles from the set that are relevant to EDH.

Do you think you're going to get more than 225 dollars worth of singles you'll use and/or trade-bait that people will want?

Are you planning on doing a Phantom draft of it with your friends?

If the answer to either is 'yes', buy the box. If the answer to both is 'no', just buy singles.

What do you guys think about Jarard? My edh circle is extremely casual but I've been debating on starting a new commander or keep working on his deck. Currently I'm having problems dealling with flyers.

Afraid my mono-blue is already slated to be Thassa Sea Monsters.

Where have you been

Path has been printed 7 times and was an FNM promo twice. It might go back down to 6-7, but if it hasn't crashed yet it most likely never will.

Don't really have alot of extra cash, don't have alot of cards either, kind of excited about prospect of lottery box.

fuck, i don't even have khans fetch lands or serum visions, or path to exile, or shit like that that i need for the decks.

My thought is that i would get at least SOME of what i wanted if i bought a box.

is that you Corey?

One of my friends in my playgroup gets such bad draws it's scary, like he'll shuffle and draw a new hand 4 times in a row to reveal no lands. We'll pass his deck around and everyone else draws keepable hands just fine.

I always go to build Jarad and end up building something else BG. It's not that he's bad, I just find the other options more exciting

also

>playing BG
>having trouble with flyers
do you live under a rock? Why aren't you running Hurricane?

I just used sweeps

I am. And hurricane spider. I have noticed my budget deck has major problems with flyers.

I guess I should stop pussy footing around and put more board wipes in my deck. Black Sun Zenith can only go so far.

Are there any really good cards in mono red that dick on combo decks?
One of my friends runs a Damia deck that is just a comb deck using Damia as a draw engine. When he plays Damia we know that we are all going to die within the next turn or two unless someone can slow him down. I need cards that aren't super expensive. Like 15-20 dollars at most.

That's literally $6 over EV as of a week ago, and it's dropped since then.

Just buy singles retard.

Damn straight. Budget options include plague boiler, decree of pain and life's finale. If you specifically hate flyers, whirlwind

Silly question: what is the rule concerning split cards for EDH?
For example, would I be able to run Rise/Fall in a Dimir deck?

no, the card is considered all the colors on both sides

>Don't really have alot of extra cash, don't have alot of cards either
You have precons and standard rares. There are so many cards you should be prioritizing above Seance packs, especially if money is tight.
>kind of excited about prospect of lottery box.
It is alluring sometimes, sure. But you can get that same rush from any set. It's just smarter to buy the singles a few months after release when they're at their lowest.

>fuck, i don't even have khans fetch lands or serum visions, or path to exile, or shit like that that i need for the decks.
Khans Fetchlands are not spiking any time soon. You can pick those up for $12-20 a piece for the next couple years. Enemy fetches are not ever going to go that low. Pick them up when they bottom out. Not worth buying a box for 1-2 fetches.
Serum and Path are not worth buying a box for. Hell even damnation/craterhoof/cyclonic don't make it worth it.

Boxes have no guarantees. Buy what you need.

i dunno, not browsing this shit board often. how about (you)?

are mm3 packs seriously only 6$ ev a pack on 10$ msrp?

that is fucked up for a product that hasn't even been released yet.

>roommate is having trouble keeping up with the group in games
>offer to help
>he is a poorfag so the only decks he has are elzuri and prossh precon
>tell him to take the ramp and good shit out of elzuri for prossh
>I want to have two decks
This guy will bitch about not being up to par but won't take advice to improve. And on top of it he complains that being broke is why he can't build a good deck, and we should throttle back to help him be competitive. Fucking christ

If it's Newzuri then it's cheap as fuck to build. Just grab token shit, the colour staples and +1/+1 abusers and you're set for.

Just look at the rares m8. There's handful of really nice stuff and the fetchlands, but after that they're all

Blood moon ( it's going to drop with the reprint ) null rod, Dampening matrix , stranglehold, war's toll, price of glory, tsaco's web, mana barbs, burning earth, price of glory, ruination, boiling oceans.

I can maybe convince him of that. But he might be a lost cause if he goes Bernie Sanders mode again.

What is the point of that stupid gigantic shit? I never touch those garbage things.

Tell him you're happy to help him beef up his deck within his budget (to an extent), and that you guys MIGHT consider building lower-power decks to play with him, but

1) He does not get to whine about free help

2) You are not OBLIGATED to help him at all

3) You are sure as fuck not obligated to build new decks at his power level

>feldon
>bad
Are you sure it's not you who is bad? I run feldon reanimator nonsense and the only thing slowing it down is that I don't run ramp so I don't run away with wins.

Do you consider him a friend? Would you consider giving him some goodies or at least trading down to help him?

Well I don't really have anything for either of the decks he has unless I take apart one of mine and his list of stuff that actually worth something is short. I will work him after he come back from hischool shift and report back.

Feldon is Tier 3. He's not trash but you are in a hellua casual meta if you have to nerf him to not steamroll your opposition.

How does my Horde of Notions list look?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/for-the-horde-of-notions-2/

Just a quick thing, I want to avoid infinite loops to preserve balance in my playgroup. That's why stuff like Karmic Guide isn't here.

>EDH tiers
user, pls stop this madness

K Guide is just good value though, and hits everything that Horde doesn't. Everyone knows how to interrupt her interaction with Reveillark too, and it's not like you're weaponizing the infinite ETBs/dies.

>Everyone knows how to interrupt her interaction with Reveillark too
My playgroup is incredibly budget and casual, I'm already operating at a much higher power level. I'm worried about painting a target on my back.

Ruric Thar and Reaper King, and Ghave aren't shit. Well depending how you build them.

See