Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

New campaigns edition!
What was the last campaign you played?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
PS: Avowed is getting big changes soon(ish).

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title
youtube.com/watch?v=cK329NBj55M
youtu.be/Acna6jcCU28
youtube.com/watch?v=GNe-iAscrZk
youtube.com/watch?v=q657rEkgfKs
youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Heavily modified Kingmaker.
GM was kind of an edgy shit for a while (way too into Game of Thrones for his own good) and most of the players just circlejerked over politics and tried to "prove" Communism could work.

I played the proverbial "ninja in a political intrigue game" by rolling a Bard-barian and ended up living happily with the knightess the GM had intended to be the main antagonist.

I wish I knew.

Heya, if the GM let you get away with that, they don't sound that bad.

Like I said,
>and edgy shit for a while
He grew out of it quick and turned the game into gold. Turns out that actually running through his dungeons and fighting his monsters and furthering (or tampering with) his story was a lot more fun for him than refereeing while college-commies go over paperwork.

Rise of the Runelords.

It was a rather grim campaign. A lot of evil witchcraft and horrifying monsters. I quite enjoyed it while it lasted.

>What was the last campaign you played?
RotJR

So would it be possible to apply the effects of an Infestation using Plague Powder or would I need some other way of doing that?

Like, all the way through, or "last one you played in"? Because of the latter, it was Shattered Star. Our sorceress FINALLY got to cast confusion on something that wasn't immune, and her one-two punch with the Summoner's Black Tentacle spell completely disabled a pack of a half dozen or so demonic dogs that would have summoned reinforcements had they had a single action to their names.

My last campaign was the one i did for DM training on roll20 with some old friends. Lasted 5-6 months.

But now some other real-life friends asked me to repeat the same campaign, and i'm scared shitless because i wont have all the roll20 maps, tokens and all that good stuff, and im not sure if my vocabulary is big enough to replace actual maps to describe scenery.

I'm considering a game set in a swamp the size of Australia, with a lot of themes related to Southern Gothic, redneck horror, occult phenomena, and voodoo witchery. The goal is to reach the mythical peak of Blood Mountain, where your heart's desire will be granted.

You told us you weren't going to run that, asshole!

You lied to us ;____;

>What was the last campaign you played?

It's tonight! It's tonight! It's in a couple hours and tonight!

Hey, if it's new campaign edition, I might as well keep shilling my E8/P8 Noiralog/Eberron campaign!

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title

That wasn't me. That was some other random asshole. I need to get everything lined up for Blood Mountain, it might see the light of day

Eberron, comfy dynamic village plus mind-controlling parasites.

Gonna run Rappan Athuk soon.

What's the theme song of something you desperately want to happen to your character?

For me, a reunion with his long-lost brother.
youtube.com/watch?v=cK329NBj55M

Ok, tell me what went wrong
I was running a game and my players were hired to solve a farmers problem. It was explained that they
(the farmers) were using goats to clear some new land for a farm but they were getting raided every other night and losing goats. And men.
The party goes out and camps by the farmers tents and the goat pen.
During the night one of the kobolds that had been raiding the camp critically fails a stealth check and alerts the member of the party on watch
He does nothing
I even repeated that he heard a cry and a thud by the goat pen
He just keeps trying to see in the darkness whats happening
Finally he sees the large shape of a kobold scampering off with a goat
The party gives chase and kills one kobold but looses the other cus none of them are trackers of even invested in survival but they keep trying to use it.
I finally hand them a lead and they find more kobolds later and promptly murder them.
Two party members speak draconic. It has come up before that they can understand and talk to the kobolds
Heres where it gets stupid. They go back to the camp and are surprised that the farmer that hired them yells at them for losing a goat???
Like they as players were getting pissed at the farmer and threatening violence
I tried to steer them toward different solutions that wasn't murder everything but even my veteran player just wasnt thinking outside the kill box
Was I justified in having the farmer be angry?
How do I make it more clear that maybe, just maybe, they should try something else

Well that just sounds spooky fun. The SoM playtest has been on hold for a bit while I've been MIA, we're reviewing spheres at the moment to see that they're all playtest ready, so that'll hopefully be happening soon.

Also probably next friday Legendary Kineticists II will be out, so that's cool.

What's a better choice for the UMonk: Jabbing Style or Dragon Style?

Sup Veeky Forums, I need help figuring out what to award a my party for completing an adventure.

The group is 4 players at level 6 with 5 bonus feats each in an Epic 6 campaign (Character levels capped at 6, get feats every 5k exp afterwards) .

The party, an Ogre Mage, a group of 5 crusaders(Clerics and paladins), and a group of 5 orcs(clerics and barbarians) just succeeded in destroying the lair of an undead abomination who was trying to power his negative-energy-nuke by draining a bunch of magic items he stole from a wizard's college They kiled it, although 3 orcs and 4 crusaders died in the process. The nuke itself was kept by the ogre mage.

I described the floor as being littered with drained, partially drained, and soon-to-be drained magic items.

What's a good assortment of items to have be in there for them to find? What's a good amount of money for them to keep? They recently managed to get awarded an estate at the end of their last adventure, so that could be used as a bit of a money sink.

Anything yer willing/able to share with us about what we'll see for Playtest 4?

How angry was he? Some players just have a knee-jerk reaction that they never grow out of, and it goes as such:
>you dare to be mildly disrespectful to me?
>I KILL YOU TO PROVE ME THE BIG MAN AND YOU A BITCH
And they can get triggered by something as simple as an NPC being mildly indignant with them.

If he was actually getting abusive towards them, then it's a little more understandable taht they might enter berserker mode. Otherwise they're just idiots.

youtu.be/Acna6jcCU28

For when he finally bites the dust

Didn't Jabbing get a nerf at some point?

It should have every sphere and class intended for the full release; which I don't think will include my poison sphere. We're doing an alchemy sphere for the core book that works with base poisons, and my poison sphere is basically a rewrite of the poison rules, which to me is sorely needed. Right now we're debating about alchemy and poison, as they technically cost money to use your abilities, and we aren't super happy about that at the moment, but it's hard balancing their utility/power without a cost.

I'd advocate for Dragon Style--it has more return on investment and the next feat in its chain, Dragon Ferocity, is amazing for a character with high Strength.

If you're committed to going low-Strength, like you're running a Dex-focused build, Jabbing Style might work better. But rolling extra dice doesn't count for a whole lot compared to having a big ol' modifier to your base damage roll, and Dragon Style + Power Attack + a high Strength should get you all you need.

What's this about Gish classes within spheres of power and spheres of might?

Sounds like both you and your party are having some levels of miscommunication. Maybe you are retarded, maybe they are, but it's probably a little bit of both.

Sit down and explain everything. give them some wisdom checks that if they pass (with 4+ players making them, someone will pass) you give them some common sense.

>gommunism can totally work! :DD
Bet that was fun to put up with

I don't know.

I just don't know.

What are some hidden gem feats for two-handed martials using the full gamut of PoW?

Yeah, no.
Thankfully we also had a couple weebs and a china-boo who kept teasing us that he'd go full Cao Cao and start a civil war, and they kept it pretty real.

Horn of the Criosphinx, if your GM allows it to apply to all the attacks you make while using Raging Hunter Pounce or similar maneuvers.

Ooh, poison and mundane alchemy sounds like it'd be neat anyways.. Maybe ingredients for making your own poisons/potions/etc as a thing, with costs to buy them, or foraging them in the wild in certain biomes with different survival DCs, and, obviously, some rarer reagents being rewards for quests? Some 5e DM's Guild material has that instead of just "Pay GP to get god-tier items"

He was like "My goat! Why didnt you do the job I hired you for? How did you let this happen?!"
Thats about it
They arent idiots though, thats why it was so unexpected

I explained everything clearly. I think a problem is that I left it TOO open ended to give them a chance to come up with their own solution
They chose kill kill kill again and again even when it was obvious it wasnt working

maybe they are a bit dumb

I was planning on going str-based either way because I decided to be an oni tiefling before doing a monk. Now if I do dragon style and dragon ferocity, i'll have an extra feat floating around since I won't be taking the third feat in the chain, I was thinking I could take elemental fist with that for some thematically appropriate fire-punching

If you want me to be a bit more blatant, it's for Dragons 2.

That looks awesome for later, though!

Troubadour and Sage are being moved over there, and right now aside from those two, we haven't done a ton of work on the gish book, since we want to make sure the core content is solid first before moving forward. So as far as the gish book goes, those two classes and my poison sphere are the only things we've done on it at the moment. Once my body's 100% again, I'm going to get into doing some archetypes though, although I want to read over SoP again to really decide what I want to do with the sections of the Gish book which are mine to write.

Right now poisons from my spheres are pretty versatile, can do any type of ability damage, can be used for generic debuffs, and there's even a few buff poisons for fun in there.

I just now read the errata and that is absolutely awful, jabbing style just got waste-basketed, it's dragon style for sure now

That'd be cool, but you might want to consider something like Horn of the Criosphinx to boost your initial attack even higher, or perhaps the Pummeling Style chain if you're going for Master of Many Styles.

If you want to intimidate, add Cornugon Smash and/or Intimidating Prowess. I'd say Hurtful as well, but monks already can spend ki to get extra attacks, so you don't want to waste your Swift on something like that.

Then Wisdom checks for common sense is the way to go. It leads them in the direction without seeming too condescending.

>reading over SoP again to really decide what I want to do with sections of the Gish book

W-will we finally get a reason to stay Magus after 2 levels?

Finally being able to give his students a proper funeral.
youtube.com/watch?v=GNe-iAscrZk

I don't know, it depends on how you present it. Don't call it "common sense", for one. Maybe just "you feel something bugging you, make a Wisdom check to harness your intuition" or something.

I've had a GM in the past who basically forced a "common sense" roll every time they wanted to keep us on the rails, and they basically used it as a way to passive-aggressively call us all idiots for not reading their mind.

>Ability damage martials can pull off with ease, generic debuffs, buff poisons
Oh god this sounds incredible and i'll be saddened if this doesn't become public in some form

>Magus becomes the only mid caster/mid-martial Gish

I can live with this.

I will never get over that image, that Elf is CUTE!

>magus finally gets spheres-specific arcana
>gets a fully functional spheres archetype that works for BOTH sets of spheres

A MAN CAN DREAM.

Now where have I seen those cheeks before? They look awfully familiar, almost like...

I'll try that for the more obvious things
I run a pretty sandbox game but I guess less experienced players cant handle that.
I was kinda relying on my vet player to lead them but he was just as mad as the rest at the farmer

Anyone?

How much money is too much money to hand to a party?

What's a good set of magic items to spruce up their day-to-day?

>Warder (ZS) || Avowed (Elemental)

Right?

Spheres of might looks fucked.

Yeah, I agree, but I'm still looking forward to a day when

What are some Wrath of the Raunchy theme songs?
I'm kind of waffling on mine, but I can't help but think that a good campaign theme might be this:
youtube.com/watch?v=q657rEkgfKs

the full playtest is availible and hopefully it mends many of the whole PUNCH HARDER BUT HAVE NO OTHER UTILITY.

Elementalist or Mageknight. Or both.

Some of us insiders are aware of this and fighting for change.

>there are people that didn't ask Eagle for a review

youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

Geb and Nex are super cool but there's so very little about them that Paizo has published. Is there more on them in any of the APs or modules or shit? Has Paizo mentioned plans to touch on them in the future?

Heck, I almost feel like a fun /pfg/ project some time might be doing our own expansions/finishing up the more interesting areas of Golarion that they haven't touched yet much and probably wont for years/ever.

No, Just a normal ZSWarder with EFlux

>He ends up picking all of them

>LK 2 will probably be out next Friday
So the 10th or 17th?
Will be Hyped either way.

Also, any buildings tips for a Telekinetic Lancer? Main reason for going Telekinesis is so I'm holding a Spear to be as close to a FF Dragoon as possible.

I notice you guys use Gestalt a lot. I'm coming out with a game fairly soon; You want I should use gestalt?

Please no

>tfw want to meme CotCT apps
>none of them are really meme worthy

Is that a good thing?

>I'm coming out with a game fairly soon

Sell it to us, please.

>The SoM playtest has been on hold for a bit while I've been MIA, we're reviewing spheres at the moment to see that they're all playtest ready, so that'll hopefully be happening soon.
Could you give a vague potential time we'll see that? Like "maybe one week" or "two-ish weeks"? There's a /pfg/ game I want to apply to that is using SoM but still has 4 weeks before the deadline and I'm hoping to see the new SoM test to make a character with before then.

Okay, review user here. Same one who did the extensive marry/fuck/kill and the fuckability index, now with something slightly more in-depth since people asked.

Going to start Dragongame 2 PCs, reviewed on the following 5 metrics:
>Appeal: In abstract, a combination of how likeable their personalities are and how good posted art/physical descriptions are.
>Backstory: How interesting and applicable their backstory is. Also a check for writing quality in general.
>Compatibility: How much I think their backstories, personalities and powersets make them suited to party play. i.e.: would they be fun to play with?
>Dragonality: How setting-appropriate they are, how draconic/suited to dragons they are.

First request gets a review, after that I'm rolling.

Sell me on North Garund and the sorts of motivations you could have to explore those sun-blasted wastes of sand and silt.

I don't care about the cities, sell me on the back-country, especially Osirion and Thuvia.

I request that you roll

>Shoanti bard orphan girl, con artist
>Halfling monk, reformed break-in artist
>Half-elf bastard thug, thief
>WIP
How normal.

>using errata

Just use non-gestalt, pfg would appreciate one.

Honestly I'm curious to see your thoughts on shitty memedog aka Rory Karskys Carihem.

Rory it is.

CotCT isn't really picking up apps at all, so I'm not sure if a game without a gimmick can survive in today's /pfg/ environment.

Thuvia and Osirus are chocked full of ruins, they're ravaged ancient osiriani wars, some of which are full of the servitors of the black pharoah or contain evidence of ancient aliens. Pathfinders, historians, crazed cultists and members of the Aspis Consortium all fight for control of the relics found within.

There's the occasional raid from ooga booga men from the mwangi expanse and the armies of divs that scour the deserts like blazing winds, in theory there's some interaction with good or neutral djinn/elementals or the vast majority of good Mwangi that might be displaced by the demon worshipping negroes.

No, a game without third party content won't survive.

People are still writing their apps.

There's at least 4 people who contacted me and are currently writing them up.

Depends on if your enemies have style feats or not. If yes, then Formless Style Mastery Ki power instead. If no, then Dragon style or Tatzelwyrm style.

I mean, if it at least has Jolly Content, it SHOULD still be able to function properly. Forrest's stuff WOULD be on there, but the memes have been too hardcore lately, so it needs to wait until that shit cools off before it's to be allowed out of its room.

CoCT's got 3pp, I hear someone's going to play a psyarm.

I really hate this meme.

With all the actually useful debuffs and crowd control a magus can get, 'more damage' is the way to go? Really? I thought Veeky Forums was all about battlefield control and useful debuffs.

What other classes or archetypes get Arcane Bond at level 1 outside of wizard? Specifically an item (i.e. non weapon) bond?

>this meme

what, the meme where "fuck I want a reason to actually stick with magus instead of just dipping 2 levels and never touching it again" isn't a meme but a completely valid complaint with Spheres of "Dipping for Power"?

Half Elf Bonded Sorcerer.

Arcane bloodline sorc

Gotcha. Thought I'd run it by y'all.

Without copying the entire premise to you...

Military themed campaign. The Dukedom of Astony has risen up in rebellion, declaring itself a free city-state! For one reason or another, the players joined up and got shuffled into the 'irregulars'. Big 'war is hell' theme --technology and magic have advanced a great deal since the last bout of war, so no one is really sure just how awful it's going to end up being.

Most land in the world is uninhabitable and almost untraversable from long lasting and horrendously dangerous historical wars, so arable land is at a premium. Rapidly advancing technology(airships in particular for transportation) have made things like war feasible again, but the various sides have very different takes on military technology and how the war should play out.

Or something like that.

No the "magus only use shocking grasp with spellstrike and spell combat" shit.

Ecclesitheurge cleric.

But that wasn't at all what was being complained about in the post you quoted the first time? The post you quoted was hoping that maybe, just maybe, a Spheres Magus will finally have a reason to be played 1-20.

And, even regarding "this meme", the typical complaint about shocking grasp isn't really "this is all the magus does", it's more pointing at "this is the height of your build because everything else is situational, and that's boring as fuck"

Roll for it.

Also:
>5 metrics
>posts 4 metrics

Perhaps the fifth metric is an examination of their actual metric measurements?

That's unfair.

>But that wasn't at all what was being complained about in the post you quoted the first time
>a reason to take more than two levels in magus without using spheres
>spellstrike, spell combat, and 1st level shocking grasp only reason to take magus
It's pretty much exactly what I complained about.

And situational issues are the point of the magus, as well as any other caster outside of clerics and druids, who really do only have a single build to work off of.

>a reason to take more than two levels in magus without using spheres

Except that's fucking backwards, user, you don't bother with magus past 2 levels in spheres, because you don't NEED anything past the first two levels because it's fucking worthless to you compared to what other classes could provide. On the flipside, Vancian Magus, outside of niche builds, NEEDS to be 1-20 and has plenty of tricks, but his bread and butter still defaults to "do the arcane mark trick for an extra attack, or do electricity damage and pray for a crit".