Modern Merfolk Society

So I'm making a mermaid PC for a modern fantasy RPG and I'm having trouble deciding on attributes and traits for her. I generally like my characters to be grounded in a cultural heritage, but the background of mythological creatures is kind of a blank slate. Given that every major seafaring culture has had merfolk myths, I'm thinking merfolk probably don't have 'one' society anymore than humans do, and can be roughly divided by ocean and region.

I know how I want her to appear physically more or less - she has a human form that's 'normal', but subtly alien. Slightly too large eyes, pale skin, dark black hair that's actually green, two rows of teeth (the front are sharp and sawlike like a shark, the rear are grinders). I want her to have webbed fingers and toes, displayed by the fact she wears bridal gauntlets and stirrup legged wetsuit like cloths that leave her bare handed and barefoot. I'm thinking about some kind of tattoo markings or natural skin markings, at least lines over her gills.

Right now I'm thinking of making her terribly British, mostly because I find that amusing.

For contextual background, mythological creatures were just reintroduced into a modern world along with magic within the last few decades, so myth creatures are sort of reintegrating with modern society and bringing their own twist along with it. Magic exists but is technically explained via quantum physics.

Due to the events of the previous campaign and an alien invasion the tumult and bloodshed you would usually imagine to come from this has been handled, though of course there's lingering shades of 'fucked' all over the world which is encouraging a push towards off world settling. It's sort of like Shadowrun but space opera instead of cyberpunk.

So right now I need suggestions for what a merfolk society that is a reflection of post modern human society might look like. What their culture might be. For arguments sake let's focus on atlantic/north/Baltic Sea, though I'm open to other suggestions

Things I've nailed down:

She likes sweets because they're mostly alien to her

She has a pet miniature kraken

She sleeps in a literal water bed

She likes Japanese food for obvious reasons

There's no possibility to cook food underwater, so anything not raw is probably either attractively exotic or disgusting and strange to her.

Likewise wearing clothes is weird, no nudity taboo, maybe also no sense of fashion. Conversely, a taste for jewelry and accessories, because those can be made underwater.

Likes to sit or lie down because standing or walking for a long time is very tiring to someone who lived practically in zero-g.

That's all biological considerations though. As for the society, who knows?

The obvious thing that comes to me is you will have a traditionalist vs modern split. Some merpeople want to live like they do in stories and myth, and others want to keep their Internet connection. Where does she fall on this issue?
They probably own a boat, are familiar with or work as auxiliary to the coast guard. Society revolves around water, make your design plans accordingly

Clothing was something I considered, hence the fast she wears what is effectively a skintight wetsuit/pilot suit and goes barefoot. Sitting or laying down, and the jewelry and food, is an interesting bit I'll add

In her case she's a modernist, as she's an explorer - she's actually a pilot for a space exploration/mining vehicle, and a Mineralogist. She's interested in exploring the sea of the stars, IE space. She flies a squid Mecha that uses magnetic fields to maneuver, so she has to operate close to a mother ship, planetoid, or metal rich asteroid. Otherwise she can deploy solar sails and literally tack the solar wind.

This campaign is probably taking at least partially if not majority in space

Thought: can dolphins be domesticated? Would the idea of domesticated animals be crazy to sea people?

What I was talking about in regards to clothing is not the technology, but rather the attitude. If your PC grew up in traditional underwater society, she was probably naked all the time, and her wearing clothes is a concession to her new society. She probably goes around her home in the buck and is perplexed whenever a nakedness gag appears in a movie.

By the way, the lack of clothing makes for some issues with the North Atlantic/Baltic geography unless she's seal-tier chubby. Or has some form of magical cold resistance. That's another merpeople feature right there.

So, for various reasons including these, i've decided to go with the Carribean rather than the Baltic, So i'll be looking up native Carribean as well as Dutch folklore and culture

Research has yielded that the Carribean was where *every* major naval power, including the Mediterranean, indies, and asia went to fuck and co-mingle. Meaning it's perfect.

Also pirate jokes

The lack of nudity taboo makes sense, but I'd suspect they'd still have a sort of traditional type of clothing in the form of pouches or harnesses, considering the lack of pockets would be an issue under water just as much as above.

I've also seen numerous pictures of mermaids wearing nets in some manner, which kinda makes sense. Maybe that could even be combined with the above point.

Another thing would be a different concept of sleep cycles not based on day and night, as well as a rather unusual understanding of 3D-space, compared to land-bound species.

>a rather unusual understanding of 3D-space, compared to land-bound species.
One of the reasons I'm rolling one, inherent gift at three dimensional space and piloting in Space space.

Nets for holding hair in place are a good idea, I expect breasts (if had) would be bound somehow for the sake of aerodynamics and some manner of belt or pouch sash worn around the waist in a way that didn't interfere with swimming

>I've also seen numerous pictures of mermaids wearing nets
That's because it's a long-running trope about mermaids getting caught in human fishing nets.

Watch Nagi no Asukara(A Lull in the Sea) now!

What if I'm not a pedo

that one on the left looks like she has breasts, she's probably not a loli

The show is a drama not fap material

Do you know where you are?

Huge missed opportunity to have the mermaid looking bothered/annoyerd about the surfer step all over her.

>There's no possibility to cook food underwater
Underwater volcanic vents, duh

>just stick your arm in the fire, no biggie

Don't see why not. They're social, intelligent, pack hunters like wolves.

those vents literally heat the water around them past the point of boiling and would also contain all sorts of nasty minerals and chemicals from geothermal reactions to infect the food with.