What does tg think about Critical Role?

Got back into DnD 3 months ago, I've been binging critical role for awhile now, what does /tg think about this show?

I think I want Mat Mercer to gently fuck me in the ass and whisper "It's High Noon" and other sweet nothings softly in my ear

That's pretty good.

It's mediocre trash. Only two or three players are even half-decent, the rest are shit. Combats take waaaaaay too fucking long and are extremely boring. The story is a cliche yawn-fest. All of the PCs - without exception - are bland stereotypes.

Plus an hour of product placement at the beginning of each episode, and 1 hour of shitty Deviantart at the end of each episode.

This is what the entire Crit Role fanbase is like. Pure cancer.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have gay sex to a fantastically talented individual who just happens to be part of Felicia Day's latest shitty internet show.

Don't be gay

It's alright. I think most people here aren't fans of watching people play games so you're going to get mixed responses. Still, the game flows and isn't full of stuttering mouthbreathers so even just by that merit it's better than a lot of the others out there.

If you want to watch a dungeons and dragons group play a game and have fun, then it's great.

I wouldn't recommend watching people play games, but then again, seems like Twitch is a giant money-maker and that's all they do.

"How do you want to do this?"

>Combats take waaaaaay too fucking long and are extremely boring.

I see this complaint a whole lot, but it's exactly the same sort of combats at your own table, you just don't notice how long it actually is because you're at the table and playing, rather than being an observer.

Critical Role is alright, stuff like The Adventure Zone and The Glass Cannon Podcast (although Pathfinder) is better.

It's really stupid. It has been given more credence to natural 20 fetishization than anything else. The players treat the game like it's Cards Against Fucking Humanity and act like that's the best way to run a system. People drool over Matt Mercer's DMing style but honestly anyone who is decently well-read can pull off those descriptions. I know I certainly do on a weekly basis, as does one of my GM friends. Yeah, 90% of people are shit at GMing, but that doesn't mean this dumb-ass is a gifted savant. His gunslinger homebrew is atrocious, leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story, it is just terrible mechanics-wise. This show is basically the roosterteeth "listen to grown men chuckling autistically into 5000 dollar microphones with a bunch of retards shouting over each other as the hysterical assperger laughter reaches its crescendo" experience. Why the fuck would you want to watch these people play their shitty boring campaign when you could go out and do it yourself? Is it the tits on the girls? None of them are very hot and honestly they are all terrible actresses, every time I hear their voices I want to kill myself. I cannot even describe how much I hate this shit. Here's the thing: I've seen a few comedy shows of people playing D&D. It was hilarious. Critical Role is just fucking stupid, partly because they are trying to actually play and they make a huge deal out of their stupid fucking campaign. But, the problem with these comedy shows was that people started expecting that out of their normal games. They expected RPGs to be funny. Not just naturally humorous, they want to rape the campaign for any potential it has. And these chucklefucks have read a load of "D&D stories" on imgur and reddit so they think that's how it is. So we have these fuckers derailing our campaigns every time we let a new person in. Now, this can't entirely be blamed on Critical Role, but it sure did its part to exacerbate the problem.

It's entertaining for what it is. It has brought awareness to the reality of this game and has gotten A LOT of people interested who otherwise wouldn't have ever gotten into the hobby.

Furthermore with a lot of the time usage for charity donation and the back end work that is put into the series, these people have done a lot of good for their communities. I'd love to see some of the other fa/tg/uys around here even have a fraction of that impact on those around them.

Speak for yourself, cockbreath.

My combats last 3 - 5 turns and 1 hour maximum.

Matt Mercer is a shitty DM, but he can do cool voices, so it's all forgiven.

I imagine rules-stickers despise Adventure Zone. What makes you think it's better than CR?

Triggered much?

I enjoy the banter and how the story is going, whereas Critical Role is more or less just a standard story and standard session.

TAZ is worse when it comes to accurate rules, but better when it comes to how interactions and overall story.

>My combats last 3 - 5 turns

That sounds like they have no challenge to them.

>all this analaggravation
I like Critical Role, it's fun to listen to like a podcast. Mercer is a good DM who makes a fun and interesting game, some of the players are better than others but even when they're bad they don't ruin the show.
I don't get what everyone is 'sperging out about. No one is saying they are the greatest D&D group ever to play. Their show is built for one purpose: entertainment.

I like Liam and Travis.

He can pull some decent voices. That is the only talent he has. If you want to watch good voice-acting, just watch a movie because they barely do any voice acting on Critical Role. Not to mention their group is way too large. No one wants to DM for a 7 person group in real life, why the fuck would I want to watch half a dozen people yapping over each other. This stupid idiot can't even use some tokens to mark which goblins are entangled or not, there's some autistic dude singing while one of the roasties is trying to talk, the audio quality is honestly really bad, they need a sound guy who understands how to make their voices less sharp and grating. The background is incredibly cluttered and there are drinks and bottles and shit all over the table. The whole setup looks like I'm watching CSPAN imitated by a bunch of drunken frat boys and their cockslaves at a party where someone found a camcorder and wanted to do something "crazzzzy."

And listening to the Matt Mercer's description for the first time in a few months, I can tell there is nothing special to it. His rhythm is off and his diction has all the evocative strength of a third grader. None of this is even funny, nor entertaining. I cannot believe that some people watch this as a substitute for actual gaming. The entire point of RPGs is YOU getting to do it. There is no video screen, the description and writing are not carefully plotted, the entire point of it is the freedom and psychodrama of taking a characters role and sharing a story with your friends. Remove that and be an observer? Not even in person, over a video? That is fucking sad indeed. I know Veeky Forums has this philosophy that "no gaming is better than bad gaming" but apparently that philosophy does not apply regarding Critical Roll.

It doesn't podcast, I don't care about it.

Campaign podcasts, I care about it.

This, 100%.

> I like Critical Role, it's fun to listen to like a podcast.

Yeah if you like have your ear drums blasted out. Every time these fucks laugh I have to cover my ears because the sound quality turns the video into some kind of mini-ear-rape episode. Honestly if you need to listen to other peoples' social interaction to enjoy a hobby that just requires a few other human beings and some time, and you can't even achieve that, I feel fucking sorry for you. I am a loser with a shit life and even I have time for gaming. Do you have five children and a wife who doesn't work and forces you to come home early so you don't cheat on her ugly ass? Or severe social anxiety that prevents you from leaving your room? Because the only reason I can see anyone watching this, is if they were starved for RPG play and needed to watch a show to get it. Honestly user hit me up and I will run a game for you in Discord or something because I really feel sorry for you right now.

> Mercer is a good DM who makes a fun and interesting game,

This is making me feel more sorry for you. If you think Mercer has any skill in anything beyond voice acting then you either have never had a halfway decent DM (which is the key to enjoying a D&D campaign, I'll give you that) or you've never played at all.

> some of the players are better than others but even when they're bad they don't ruin the show.

The very premise of the show is terrible because it removes everything that makes an RPG worth playing.

> Their show is built for one purpose: entertainment.

Well if you find it entertaining, you are entitled to your opinion. But I will never understand how the fuck people could enjoy listening to this at all, let alone for a full 3 hour episode.

I tried to watch it once. Not worth my fucking time. DND, like most games, is fun to play but not to watch.

I like it. I've ways wanted to play but would have no idea where to begin and i dont know anyone in my social circles who'd be interested.

>If you think Mercer has any skill in anything beyond voice acting then you either have never had a halfway decent DM (which is the key to enjoying a D&D campaign, I'll give you that) or you've never played at all.

blessed truth

Would you happen to live in the Hillerod part of Denmark? If so I can suggest you a pretty good gaming club

>all this projection
It's just a show, man.

What should Mercer do differently then if you think he's trash?

If you're a college/university student there's normally a society for RPGs

I too am interested. Clearly these people are the paragons of DMing. They should enlighten us poor fucks with some quality and specific DM advice.

Meh, Sam Riegel and Travis are funny and Matt makes great voices, the rest are either annoying or bland. Most people sperging here can only dream they're having as much fun playing as these guys are. They're comfy to watch as background noise while I work or paint, the props of having two monitors.

It's not that they're bad.

It's that they're bog standard.

Stuff like Drunks and Dragons, Glass Cannon, or All Guardsman is better.

>What should Mercer do differently then if you think he's trash?

Stop mollycoddling his players like children.
Stop running 4-hour-long battles.
Stop running a boring plot.
Stop running terrible boss battles.
Stop letting his dumb cunt whore open her mouth.
Stop being a cuck.

>Stop mollycoddling his players like children.
In what way is he mollycoddling? What indicates when someone is mollycoddling? How does one mollycoddle?

>Stop running 4-hour-long battles.
You've identified a legitimate grievance but offered no solution. Not running any battles whatsoever would be a solution to this, but I doubt that's a good one. What would you do differently? How would you run shorter battles?

>Stop running a boring plot
Assuming the plot is boring, how would you make it more interesting?

>Stop running terrible boss battles
I feel like a broken record here. In what way are they terrible, and for a wannabe DM, how might you spice up the boss battles? Are there any particular examples you could point to?

>Stop letting his dumb cunt open her mouth
Ah. I see.

>Stop being a cuck.
Good job. You posted on the internet! Congratulations.

I'm sure he's a terrific DM himself with this attitude

1/2

I'm not that guy and he's using too many buzzwords/aggressive shit for my liking but I generally agree with his grievances as to why this show is bad and attracts idiots

>In what way is he mollycoddling? What indicates when someone is mollycoddling? How does one mollycoddle?
They don't know the rules dozens of episodes in and need constant reminders of how to play.
He introduced homebrew content for his players to be special snowflakes with when they a) hadn't already mastered the basic rules and b) said content is unbalances mechanically and in flavour

>You've identified a legitimate grievance but offered no solution. Not running any battles whatsoever would be a solution to this, but I doubt that's a good one. What would you do differently? How would you run shorter battles?
This is silly. You don't have to provide a solution to something sucking when it genuinely sucks, which multi-episode combats do. It's not hard to fix, either: ensure the players learn the damn rules as in post 1. That will speed things up. Manage table chatter and the constant quipping (which of course they won't do because that Marvelshit quipping is designed to be """"entertaining""" to the viewer). Lastly, ensure the enemies are actually balanced and that combat is flowing smoothly and effectively without getting bogged down. This also means making sure if there will be a 4-hour fight it's sufficiently epic and badass enough to merit such a length; at the current moment, this is not the case.

>Assuming the plot is boring, how would you make it more interesting?
Either avoid fantasy stereotypes (in a world that also has guns) which read like mad-libs "fill in the blanks" plots. If you must use fantasy stereotypes, either invert them (the princess you saved is secretly the BBEG and because you failed the DC 25 Insight to discover it she will jump you in a way making an actually interesting fight that might kill you)

I basically treat it like a podcast, I listen to it on YouTube in the background while I'm tabbed into something else, like gaming or Veeky Forums.

I like him as a DM because i feel like he's very descriptive and creative, but when I'm in the mood to listen to gameplay it's usually Acquistions Inc. Those guys are fucking funny

I don't claim to be a super great DM, and I can't do Mercer's voices, but I dislike him because of how much he's obviously hamming things up and making GESTICULATING HAND GESTURES and HEAD BOBBING for the camera. Also his girlfriend is bad at roleplaying and combat. You can be bad at one, but not at both.

2/2
Continued
Or you can also satirize stereotypes (you find a page of the script as part of your Investigation check, it says the railroad is thattaway).

>Stop running terrible boss battles
The White Dragon battle took forever and was just boring, and shouldn't have taken nearly as long. Then there's the Rakshasa fight, the conclusion of which was eye-rolling in the extreme. I'll give credit where it's due, the plot idea of hunting said Rakshasa was cool but the fight was slogged and ended in a silly fashion.

>Ah. I see.
Whilst he's an asshole in how he stated it, he's essentialy right. Keyleth/Marisha is easily one of the worst people at the table and really goddamn annoying.

>Good job. You posted on the internet! Congratulations.
I'll agree with you on that one, using "cuck" means nothing

>Stop being a cuck
take your own advice, my friend :^)

>Drunks and Dragons

I'm way behind on that, of course some of my enthusiasm fell off when the rogue died due to a "kill off a character of your choice" donation incentive.
Felt kind of hollow.

I'm looking forward to the "C Team" spin-off that Jerry's DMing.

>watch this as a substitute for actual gaming
I doubt this applies to anyone, you dink

>A-ha! Look how smart I am! I am better than you because I have a condescending attitude! Aha!

If only you could suck a shotgun barrel as well as you suck cock.

>t. cuck

>DND, like most games, is fun to play but not to watch.

>DND, LIKE MOST GAMES, IS FUN TO PLAY BUT NOT TO WATCH.

Capitalized for emphasis.

Woah there!

You still really haven't pointed out any real problems or how to fix them. Fighting a pack of dragons, defeating a vampire family, going on a quest to complete something personal to a character don't really constitute as "boring". Yeah its not spelljammer where you have to launch a nuke into the star dragon or some other nonsense.

Secondly, you do realize this is like their second or third jobs mostly? I'm not really one for excuses but I've been playing roughly once a week for over two years with the same people and we still forget rules. I'm sure you and your players have forgetten rules. You subjectively don't like Keyleth and project that on Marisha, congrats you're an asshole. You're an asshole to the point where you're nitpicking a common human trait, gesturing while speaking. I really hate these threads cause they're the closest thing Veeky Forums gets to /v/, vitrioloic and opinionated about something that ultimately affects them little.

Also your definition for Mollycoddling still doesn't define the concept. The only one with special snowflake rules is Percy. Oh, and guns aren't common. And inverting a common trope is unfortunately a common trope in itself.

He's not incorrect for being dismissive of half baked claims and arguments based on emotions.

You'd be wrong, my dude.

Damn you, cutlery. Consider your dubs checked.

I mainly just hate the natural 20 shit, and that it's infected D&D players.

Like one of the screeching autists up above said, all the normies I know who like D&D seem to think a natural 20 means it's time to play cards against humanity, and I hate cards against humanity.

Pure reddit. The guy you're responding to is retarded as well, don't get me wrong.

I actually didn't know about that. I just started following them recently. I thought mike and patrick did a good job when they were DM for that one pax show, interested to see jerry do it.

I like 'em. Its a fun watch, although recently I've found some of the episodes a bit lacklustre (looking at you, raishan and thordak). The players are fun, and all have their moments (some more than others, I'll admit), but none of them are as annoying as they're made out to be on here.
Mercer is a great DM because his players are having fun, and that's really all there is to it.
Now that I've finished shilling, I do feel the show could do with a it of spicing up. I thought it would happen during the conclave arc, with more of a 'fighting for survival' aspect, but no, and I thought it again when Scanlan left, but no, they just carried on as usual.

>Huh ho, excuse me!

His Dark Sun 4e campaign was pretty baller, so I know he has the skills to pay the metaphorical bills.

>Hehehe, watch and learn...

Haven't seen it

As a foreverGM, I like podcasts and actual plays like Critical Role because seeing other games in action is a pretty easy way to pick up on good GMing tricks.

Different user here, and I'm going to try and provide actual criticism of the show and some of the players and not resort to name-calling.

The overall plot of the show is pretty standard (a problem occurs or monster shows up, heroes go about solving the problem or killing the monster, rinse and repeat) and the things they've fought over the course of the show are "normal" fantasy creatures (mindflayers and a Beholder in the Underdark, then the undead and a vampire in Whitestone, then the Ancient Chromatic Dragons for the continent the heroes reside on). There's nothing wrong with it being "normal" stuff, especially when you take into account that for most of the players this is their first tabletop game in either decades (Liam, Sam, Marisha), or ever (Travis, Laura, Ashley).

They also shifted rules editions when the show began, moving from Pathfinder to 5th edition, and when combined with the hectic schedules they lead (long hours at work, family matters, then add in the 'second job' of Critical Role) you can forget things you should know/remember, even after doing it for a long time, just because you are tired after a long day of work. Sure, they should know some things by now (spell attack bonus and/or spell save DC for the casters of the group) but when you get asked for a particular save you don't use very often you might fumble about for a while while you look for the right number.

1/2

Like what? Name a single thing you ""learned"" from Mercer. Because if you really learned anything from him, you are probably a terrible DM.

As a foreverGM, I like podcasts and actual plays like Critical Role because they let me vicariously live out my dreams of having players who aren't shitbirds

>Like what?
"How do you want to do it" is a brilliantly intuitive and easy way to give players flashes of agency in combat, and I've started to adapt it to other forms of success. The game table has been a lot more vibrant ever since I started asking players what exact tricks of the trade they use to unlock doors under duress, or what their successful acrobatics check looks like to the rest of the table.

2/2

On the topic of Marisha/Keyleth, I feel like it's a combination of her playing a character she herself has said is almost the total opposite of her (she's said as much during several cons and their talk show) and her getting excited about an idea in her head on how to do a particular thing or use a specific spell, only for Matt to try and make the idea work with RAW or RAI (the Animal Shape fiasco from the latest episode).

Combat at higher levels in every edition of D&D gets bogged down in numbers and rules, that's not a problem that the show has. There's things Matt can do to help speed it along (remind the players who's coming up in initiative order, better camera angles for the battle map) but some of the changes they've made to make it easier for the show to be filmed have affected the flow of the game (they sit at three different tables, the battle map is like 10 feet from the players, and they have to use a laser pointer to try and show where they want to move). He also beefed up the HP of the monsters because most of his players are a DPS class/role, so that's why combat can last longer than it should.

>Like what? Name a single thing you ""learned"" from Mercer.
Not him, but I've started giving my players a lot more downtime to just let their characters interact and roleplay between one another instead of with my NPCs The interaction between the characters in that show are what makes the group feel like a proper fellowship, so I've been taking more steps to get the group talking and interacting among themselves instead of just with the things I throw at them

Yet another different user, I've been trying to provide more description of both NPCs and the setting/surroundings the players are in, instead of just going, "you're in a tavern," or, "you're in a dungeon."

So your players are lazy-ass roleplayers who can't even describe their shit without prompting? Fucking hell. I mean, I guess that's a good trick, if you consider "trick" to be something that everyone is already doing, but with a cute name attached so you can post it on roddit for upvotes.

So you learned not to railroad your players with your ADHD bullshit? Good for you!

Speaking of DM's girlfriend, anybody know how Patrick Rothfuss seemingly acquired DM's girlfriend powers with Chris Perkins?
Because I would be interested in learning a way to do it without resorting to the... traditional method.

>Yet another different user, I've been trying to provide more description of both NPCs and the setting/surroundings the players are in, instead of just going, "you're in a tavern," or, "you're in a dungeon."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you learned that from Mercer, you really are a shitty DM. Holy fuck, I'm glad I don't play in campaigns with you.

> "You're in a tavern"
> "You're in a dungeon"

Please tell me you are joking / trolling / using hyperbole, because if not you may just be the saddest fucking DM on this planet.

Anyway, you didn't "learn" anything from Mercer in that case. You did the equivalent of getting hit by a car then seeing a literal goddamn chimpanzee wait for the Walk signal and realize "hm maybe I should do that instead." Adding description is such a basic part of DMing that I am not sure how you ever were allowed to do it without understanding this. But I guess there's no test to pass to become a DM.

It always amazes me how upset some people get in these threads. Happens every time, like clockwork.

Is Keyleth fucking Talisman?

Why does Matt let this faggot grope and grind all over his girl like that??

I don't have anything against Critical Role, but even with professional voice actors there's still way too much extra fat when you're listening to four raw, uncut hours of tabletop gaming.

I feel like podcasts like The Adventure Zone or Friends at the Table have the advantage of benefiting from editing so the faffing about that usually happens in between the "good stuff" gets left out. If I'm going to be listening to a game instead of playing it, I'd prefer the one or two hours of actual content over all the extraneous table talk that usually happens on the side.

I would argue that everything is new to someone, and that it's better to be happy that other people are improving, and encourage them to improve further, than to shit on them for not being perfect. But that would be arguing in good faith, and you clearly don't give a shit about that. You're just here to be an abrasive asshole and tear down anyone who is enjoying themselves.

Good job: you've suceeded. Are you happy now, you miserable streak of spite?

Probably because he's not self-conscious enough to get angry at the prospect of a fictional character played by one of his closest friends playing out a fictional romance with the fictional girl played by his real-life fiance?

When married actors kiss other people for a romantic role in their movies, do you automatically think "WOW THEIR SPOUSE MUST BE SUCH A KEK TO LET THEM DO THIS"

You are THOROUGHLY rump-rustled user, I'm not sure I've ever seen a case so bad.

I really hope this is copypasta

Whether or not it was, it is now.

High Rollers is pretty good too, though I still need to finish that.

Nah, I wrote it. Amazing that someone could write all those words, huh?

>Yogscast
>Good

Are you certain? That would be a first

It's surprising, but if you don't look directly at Kim and mask her voice with white noise it's a solid 7/10.

Mark Hulmes is actually a pretty good GM. Ad-hocs and improvises on what the players do, brings back old NPCs and acts them out right, doesn't get bogged up in rule fuckery...

>her playing a character she herself has said is almost the total opposite of her

Don't people do this all the time? Do you think she isn't a strong enough roleplayer to make it convincing enough?

Even as a dedicated fan of the show, who has seen every episode, the recent turn off events in episode 88 is the only way her character can be salvaged for me. I hope she doesn't mess it up. Vax and Keyleth could just stop being in the show altogether with no explaination and the overall quality would only go up. I can't stand either of them any more

>Do you think she isn't a strong enough roleplayer to make it convincing enough?

Basically, yes. She's certainly improved from the very start of the show, but not nearly as much as basically every other person she plays with (Travis and Sam are probably the best at it, Liam and Percy have their moments every now and then, Ashley's got a few moments too, and Laura improved her roleplay skills a fair bit over the last 20 episodes or so).

I was using hyperbole, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Though, if you're just trolling the thread then I'll just ignore you from here-on out.

I love it, but I feel like I'd hate most of them if I knew them in real life.

Yeah, hence why no one watches other people play games.

I haven't seen a better DM on YouTube/Twitch, at the very least. I wonder why all of these fantastic DMs you know don't try doing a web show of their own.

Sam's funny, but his Jewry is getting out of hand. I actually think CR has fallen below DCA for me because of him.

Marisha is bad, I don't think many here would defend her.

I pretty much don't play games at all, anymore. One day I'll watch Distortion2 speedrunning Souls games, the next I'll watch competitive Dota 2, one day I'll see if GameGrumps or JonTron have done anything interesting in the past 6 months, and every Tuesday and Thursday I watch people play D&D.

I just don't have friends anymore. They all went places and I didn't. And now that I have a job, I don't have the energy to play games myself, even video games, anymore.

Jesus, man.

I hope some shit goes your way.

so much anger ITT
its not my cup of tea but i think matt mercer is a really good DM so i watched it when i was new. not much after that. i like orion's character

Woah I hope none of them read this, although chances are at least one of them does.

I tried it and liked it at first, but after a few episodes felt like there was no point continuing. Seems like a decent, average D&D game, which is fun for everyone involved but gives me no reason to see it. Plot and characters are too generic, but that's a complaint I have about most D&D stuff anyway.

Thanks. I don't really see my life as "bad," though, per se, nor can I see anything changing any time soon. It just is what it is.

I guarantee you only 3/9 of them have ever been to Veeky Forums and the odds of them coming here anytime soon given their busy lives and greater affection for plebbit are really low.

>I wonder why all of these fantastic DMs you know don't try doing a web show of their own.
I'm not saying that I'm a fantastic GM but why would I ?

God you are a faggot, this bait is bad. You know what is sad? You writing so much about this show you pathetic cuck

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORA ORAAAA!

I don't watch Roll20, but I might as well argue against your posts for my amusement and, doubtlessly, that of OP's.
>Mollycoddling point
How many are new players? In fairness, there a lot of rules in Dnd (even in the fairly simple 5th edition) and I understand most of these people have fairly busy working lives so they can't spend time memorising shit. As long as it doesn't devolve into arguments or take too long, forgetting rules is forgivable for newer players.
The whole gunsliger thing is a silly point, cause isn't this Mercer's own setting? His world, his flavour and his homebrew. Getting bothered about that is just silly.
>Battle point
To be fair, I see your point here. I've had problems with players spending too long figuring out their turns because they'd been joking about some earlier event. Point to you.
>Plot point
I feel this is automatically invalidated by even suggesting you use a DC25 Insight check instead of actual fucking roleplay. Though, by your previous points, perhaps you felt this would slow the game down? You also claim to hate quips, but then seem to think your 'satire' is any different.
>Boss point
Need to see the show to be more educated on it.
>Cuck point
Just another buzz word.

>Being this bitter

Did Mercer fuck your mum or something?

I mean, he goes to Burning Man. Sounds like a cuck to me. I like Mercer, but there are things he does I dislike. I don't like that he doesn't use passives, but a lot of DMs seem to not use them. I also don't like that he calls out Legendary Resistances; it kinda' breaks the immersion and I feel like it comes off as kind of antagonistic to the players ("Your spell would have worked, but I'm using Legendary Resistance lul"). Lastly, I don't get why he nerfs Strength so much. He gave Grog a pair of boots that allow him to potentially jump a distance that's shorter than what he should be able to jump, RAW. Whenever Grog tries to move some heavy object, he makes him roll Strength checks, which is fine, but honestly with a Strength that fucking high he should be able to punt boulders. I doubt he'd use the same logic when applied to monsters. If a monster had 26 Strength, he'd probably let them throw Trinket around like a ragdoll, but if Grog wants to move Trinket, it turns into an endeavor. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Strength already sucks without his adjudicating.

Just seems like an odd coincidence. It reminds me of a similar argument I see in a lot of competitive video games: all of the actually-good players apparently don't play professionally, given how much they criticize players who do without ever putting their own capabilities on camera for comparison.

>He goes to Burning Man
How does that make him a cuck? As far as I know, Burning Man has nothing in relation to being a cuck.
Not using passives and being a dick to strength users, is a damn mean move though. He probably just calls out Legendary Resistance so no one gets salty when spells fail.

But wouldn't they just get salty about him using Legendary Resistances then? Seems like it'd be better to have them bitter over lady luck than bitter at a game mechanic that the DM willingly chooses to use.

>Just seems like an odd coincidence. It reminds me of a similar argument I see in a lot of competitive video games: all of the actually-good players apparently don't play professionally, given how much they criticize players who do without ever putting their own capabilities on camera for comparison.
I'm not even criticizing it, actually I don't watch that show, but in term of logistics, video editing and shit it would be a full time job to produce a enjoyable content IMO. It's not really the same as just launching FRAPS on dust2.

I mean, they'd be salty either way, but I feel like him saying, "He fails the saving throw-" "YAY!" "-but uses Legendary Resistance to succeed!" is the worse of the two.

I doubt it. Tons of people stream themselves doing all sorts of shit. They just turn their webcam on.