New Character Idea's

In this thread we discuss our next character idea.

Dwarf Ranger, specializing in bows. The seventh son of a noble house, he is an oddball among his peers preferring the hostile surface to the safe confines of a Dwarf Fortress. A cheerful guy with a bad temper.

Secretly assassinated both a Noble and the Head of the Craftsman's Guild for reasons he keeps to himself.

Firm believer of the superiority of Dwarven Females.

"If there's not a chance of breaking my pelvis with dat ass then it's not worth it."

>Dwarf Ranger, specializing in bows.

Pillars of Eternity did it better.

Originally he was an elf.

Sagani is not male.

I am referring to my character. He was originally an elf.

Enormous mountain of an old man.

Used to spend his younger years as a mercenary, but currently works as a knight under the employment of Not-Switzerland's king to aid the party in their endeavors after helping out said king.
Despite wearing heavy ass armor and wielding an equally heavy weapon, he is not slowed down or hindered in any way, and is capable of charging and hitting like a freight train. In typical anime fashion, he gets faster without the armor on.

Acts like the grandpa that let you swear and drink alcohol to man you up, and will not tolerate wanton mayhem.

All in all a 5.5/10 idea, not my best but I want to see where I can go with it.

I don't give a fuck about your character.

Your character is 100% mediocre.

Is this your first time playing D&D?

>is not slowed or hindered
>gets faster without armor

...what?

Hobgoblin wizard in his late 30s. Sent off from his people's empire to find out more about the world out there. Very curious about other cultures, very daring, eager to try new and tricks that may or may not put himself and the party in danger. He believes that the key to success is in the perfect combination of preparation and improvisation.

No. But my fiancee and I play in a group of fairly normal people, so we don't go overboard.

I have 4 ideas that I want to flesh out some more.

>A young adult human Warlock who made a pack for the sole purpose of becoming a rich and famous entertainer (fire breathing). She has no natural talent for magic but saw the advantage that it gives for her line of work. May or may not be in deep shit for fucking with the wrong people with her new powers.

>A tiefling wizard who is now an army veteran. Now he suffers PTSD and wishes to atone for the horrors he has been a part of. May or may not have been a torturer.

>A cannibal female human ranger(?)
This one needs more work, but I really like the idea of playing a cannibal. Inspired by the Forsworn in Skyrim.

>A half-elf gypsy bard and/or rogue who plays the harmonica.
This one also needs more work.

Please help.

>He believes that the key to success is in the perfect combination of preparation and improvisation

This could be fun to play around with. Maybe a flaw of his is that he relies too much on the latter.

Does his people expect him to return with knowledge of the outside world to improve their society?

Is he the sole wizard from his home? Are they defenseless now from magical invaders?

Perhaps he has some code of honor that they follow and "strongly suggests" other party members to follow it? Or acts as a mentor to the party and/or specific member?
I also see this guy having some connection to the campaign's BBEG, since he has been around for so long. For example, the BBEG could be a mercenary buddy from your youth. This obviously depends on the DM's approval and ideas for the campaign.

Do you have a reason for why he assassinated those figures? Could it be for political reasons?

Yeah, it's stupid.
Should work that out.

He discovered a plot after his best friend was found killed. The head of the Craftsman's Guild was sexually exploiting his students and a Noble was covering it up. His friend found out and believing in Dwarven Honor, confronted them directly.

He died of an accident the next day.

My guy realized it was his word against two of the upper crust of society. He killed them and disappeared into the surface.

He does act like a mentor at times, especially to the young and inexperienced.

And I did have an idea where he was connected to the BBEG, who used to be a good friend and companion amogst a group until he lost his way and became a villain.

A few other ideas were:
His other old ass friends are a playboy spear user and a female necromancer turned Lich who went into hiding after amassing enough funds for her reasearch and materials needed.
He rides an elephant instead of a horse, as a horse would be unable to carry him and his gear.
He may be 1/10th Giant.

Okay, so he takes justice onto his own hands, or at least got a taste of it.

Perhaps he sets a goal for himself in the surface world to correct the wrongs done by the social elites. Sort of like Robin Hood, but more brutal. You can make him go solo or have a sidekick.

He could be on a current mission to spy on a king/queen to see if he can uncover some dirt.

It is disheartening to see old friends turn bad or go the wrong path. That could be his reason for acting as a mentor to the younger generation.

Small detail: he keeps a photograph of his old crew.

Set up the event that led to their splitting up. Perhaps he was the only one rewarded for their endeavors in helping the king, which made the BBEG, his friendly rival, bitter and hateful.

Or the BBEG was left for dead after his apparent death in a fearsome battle, which, again, sparked bitterness and hatred in him.

The female necromancer turned Lich could be a source of great remorse for him. Like, she was always unstable, but he didn't see the signs to save her in time.

Why is coming up with idea for other people's characters easier than for myself?

I was thinking a bounty hunter.

>Inspired by the Forsworn in Skyrim.

The Bosmer were cannibals long before the Forsworn, Millennial trash.

I was thinking of of future BBEG splitting off from the group after botching a mission and having a massive BSoD, and never being heard from again until news of a villain with similar traits and habits comes along. He used to want to be a hero, but all the blood on his hands and lives he failed to save really cut deep. Being a mercenary probably wasn't the best job for a young and naive fool though.

The Lich is actually not really "evil" in a sense, as she prioritizes research over "being a BBEG who kills babies, rapes puppies, and flays children and impales them outside their tower/crypt/hovel". She even lets people talk to their dead friends and lovers(for a hefty price) and has servants who are utterly loyal to her in exchange for letting them do one to two things they still wish to do.
He does not know about her BEING a Lich though, and thinks she's an old bag who has skeletons do everything for her.

I expect the DM to turn the lich into a generic "I'm suddenly evil and hate everything" villain.

That works too.

What do you think about the vigilante-esque idea? I don't see the ideas as mutually exclusive.

Regardless, I'm picturing a gruff dwarf, not "a cheerful guy with a bad temper." Is that a personality you really want to keep or do mind keeping that as a "how he used to be before his friend died" type of thing?

Anything specific that you want ideas for this character?

Oh, okay. So you've already fleshed this out a bit. Cool.

How about the armor and weapon he uses? They could have significance since he has been around a while.

Also, I could still use help over here

That can be his personality before his friend died.

Not really. Just a basic character idea that can grow with insanity of the campaign.

Tiefling with a wheezing laughter coming from foreign land of snow used by the byzantine court as murder sword and scary horns. She used to catch rats for fun in her 60 years-long adolescence before she found a taste for philosophical and academic works like The Prince.

I have many possible ideas for his gear.
His sword is basically a rectangle in shape, incapable of stabbing due to the flat tip, and is considered impossible to wield by anyone besides him or a monster due to its length, width, and weight.
His armor is themed after a dragon, with his helmet sporting the visage of an angry dragon with its mouth wide open and a mask to protect the face, and a huge cloak with the symbol of his liege's kingdom on it.

As for what they are made of, I am undecided. Part of me wants to say steel, another iron, and yet another wanting magically enchanted petrified wood that's heavy as hell.

For a 5th Ed DnD game:
Lord Enrique Alonsico Fernando Esqivel de Torredo, fifth Lucha of the Libre. Runaway nobleman from a great southern house. Made an oath to never remove his mask (adorned with the colors of his house) before he rid his family's curse. Wears finely tailored suits and spends with enormous wealth freely. Trained not as a knight nor a scholar like his brothers, he fights using his prodigious strength and saint's blessing. Great strength, great constitution and great charisma.
I don't know if I should play him as a grappling monk, a grappling Zealot, or a grappling Paladin.

Monk.

I don't think there's any spanish surnave with that random q there. If it's a k sound it should be esquivel.

>cannibal ranger

You could change it to druid and have your character be a wendigo disguising themselves as a human with change shape

I've been asked to make a beatstick character for an Ancient Greece setting since the party is pretty caster-heavy. I was thinking of making an Olympian. Like a grapple-heavy fighter or monk who runs around naked and covered in oil and hurls javelins. Big boisterous personality, like Aquaman from Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Any thoughts?

>wendigo
Interesting.

well, why did you change it??

Given the nature of the beast, that could be a team wipe waiting to happen though, maybe the dm could drop subtle hints throughout the campaign so the reveal wouldn't be a "rocks fall, everyone dies" scenario.
Maybe something like
>high perception check gets the intended effect and has them notice a very faint scent of rotting flesh

Added a bit more of an outcast feel to him. Also, I have been reading Dwarf Fortress Let's Plays and that may have affected my reasoning.

about the hobgoblin wizard:
he keeps a journal and sends letters to his people. they have a military arcane academy, so they have lots of other wizards, but his degree in wizardry comes from his study abroad, since his people is much more focused on war magic than him.

he also sees himself as an amateur detective, and a diplomat, trying not to weaken the relationship between the empire and other races, but he fails to notice that he's not very good at it, accidentally burning shit when things go south.

>wendigo disguising themselves as a human with change shape

That is definitely a sweet idea. Sometimes the lore behind human wendigos is that an individual is overcome by greed and, therefore, a wendigo spirit takes over.

How does this sound?:
Ursala was a noble woman who, one day, with a group of other nobles, got stuck deep in the woods after a terrible snowstorm. The group had to learn to live off the land with little to no experience in hunting or gathering. Ursala was adamant in doing no work and hardly lifted a finger, while expecting more than a fair share of the rations. Her selfishness caught up to her when it attracted an evil wendigo spirit that has been lurking in the woods, keeping an eye on the group.

One night, the spirit possessed Ursala and slaughtered and ate the rest of her group, all while she was unconscious. She woke up to grizzly sight with terror and disgust. The wendigo spirit inside Ursula explained to her what she has become and commands her to continue to feast on human flesh if she wants to keep *him* out. Ursula complied.

She lives her life as an outlander, posing as a guide by the name of Wendy for humans trying travel across the woods safely. However, before they get to reach civilization, she murders and eats them in order to tame the beast.

I'm digging this a lot.

>fiancee

A pimpled scrawny ginger teenager Human Rogue with a background of being an apprentice at the local mage guild. No magical abilities whatsoever. Since everyone in the guild is a plotting backstabber, the Rogue has it's own ambitions to become the head magus by murdering every rival and amassing a considerable amount of wealth. Goes on adventures dressed and acting as a wizard but hides a crossbow and a bunch of daggers underneath the long black robe. Basically Dress For The Job You Want.

May or may not have read too much Pratchett.

What makes a good elf character anyway?