MTG Modern General

Did the infect and Dredge players from your local meta move on? I'm honestly surprised Death's Shadow didn't get hit harder than infect honestly.

Realistically do you think the meta would be better with Twin? Is there anything else that can make Blue decks actually competitive outside twin? Do you see Modern getting a decent Cantrip within the next year?

What do you guys think of the decks climbing up? A few of the big movers in the last 2 weeks are Merfolk, Abzan Coco/ Evolution Kiki chord shit, Storm, and UW Control surprisingly. Do you think any of these decks will continue this trend?

Do you expect anything from Amonkhet?

RESOURCES:
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES:
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SFmM5CWnmtE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Storm

Great contribution to the new thread, thank you so much for your input.
I played against LSV during Eldrazi Winter, he's such a good honest dude, fucking real pleasure playing against him.

My LGS still allows Twin on casual weekend. I can honestly say that the meta is more diverse and fun. Dredge is still there, but only because a couple people can't afford anything new.

Nice blog post, lad.

>storm

Fuck you man. Dredge is fun and still strong, just not oppressive.

>Did the infect and Dredge players from your local meta move on? I'm honestly surprised Death's Shadow didn't get hit harder than infect honestly.
Dredge is still good though GP brisbane is proof of that. It's just not bonkers like with ggt and actually ebbs and flows with hate like it should.

>Twin
I honestly don't give a shit about Twin and don't care either way if it's banned/unbanned.

>blue competetive
Some non shit counters would be a start but we can't have that because timmy gets upset that his 20 mana jace planeswaker gets countered.

>cantrips
Sure as hell not happening with storm trying yet again to claw it's way back. I would like to see either preordain/ponder though.

These speculators are cancer though holy shit, so much for getting another deck with mm17

I'd rather have Preordain than Twin desu

a lot of the Infect players have moved over to DSJ and most of the Dredge guys are still on Dredge

I really wish they just banned Amalgam instead of troll and started over with it again rather than just cutting the decks balls off. It's not dead, but I really doubt it can ever be tier 1 again without troll or some other retardedly insane card

It sucks because you know they will never print dredge cards again.

but you counter planeswalkers with two mana

I honestly don't care, I play Storm and Dredge and I do what i can with what I have. The support cards are what brings life back to the deck

So, does Storm still get btfo by Eidolon of the Great Revel? Or do they have ways around it mainboard?

>I play Storm
Is that you based Finkel?

Wew reddit.

Only Remands mainboard.

And Grapeshot, of course.

Why does everyone say Abzan Company gets shut down by grave hate? Don't they also run ThuneFeeder combo?
Also can't they just abrupt decay or rec sage it or some shit?

A lot of the lists now run a merchant scroll and echoing truth now

>I don't understand how to play cardboard rectangles: the post

No they typically run 1 or the other. The deck doesn't shut down as much by grave hate as it does grafdiggers cage, grafdiggers cage fucks its ass raw.

Then it looks like I have nothing to worry about. Even if they remand it, I've slowed them down a turn and can recast it. Guess I'm mostly in the clear.

Wow great response you smug faggot, why not offer him some advice rather than the typical autistic insults

Yeah man, after eidolon burn never really had to worry about storm. Don't get got by the echoing truth though

>I get butthurt on account of other people: the post

Why not just act like a human being you fucking loser?

Why not calm down? :^)

So, realistically, is Infect absolutely not viable right now? Sure, it lost a strong card, but I can remember tonnes of matches where I won without drawing into the Probe/delving the probe for BI. I would imagine the metagame shift hurt it more than the actual ban itself.

it's still good, just now you have to actually be good at piloting it rather than git probing then slamming all your cards on the table

Probe was fucking huge in that deck
>Oh no bolt, easy turn 2 win or, okay they have bolt, better hold on
Now it's
>Okay it's turn 2, I have the win and I'm gonna go for it cause i know the deck and the longer I wait they draw more responses than I have answers, oh they had path, looks like I lose

I've seen some storm decks run Bolt, but I haven't played in over a month now so I don't know jack shit.

>LSV
Can someone explain this strange idol worship in the MtG community? In my experience, it's very difficult to find any competitive players that aren't always jizzing over Vargas, SaffronOlive, Turtenwald, or any number of other minor "celebrities". It doesn't make sense to me.

Irrelevant desu, perfect information is the difference between the win and the loss in that deck very often, doesn't matter how skillful you are.

It runs bolt and wear/tead which both come in against burn, makes it quite a bit better

You could always be a fucking madman and play Sultai infect. Slow the deck down by a turn to run Inquisition to strip any removal.
It also means you get to play Phyrexian Crusader which essntially tells every removal spell baring fatal push to go fuck itself

I would imagine you just have to play cautiously i.e. in your example, don't go for turn 2 win unless you have Blossoming Defense/Vines/Apostle's at the ready.

Speaking of, is Peek or Blossoming Defense the better replacement for 2 BI/Probes, or does running Serum Visions have merit?

What would you remove for Crusaders/Inquisitions though? The list is pretty tight as is. Sure you may cut on incremental defense like Spell Pierce but I think that's more harmful in the long run

Wait, how does Wear/Tear help storm vs. burn? Against Leyline of sanctity or kor firewalker?

Eidolon is an enchantment.

I honestly would only run it as a 2 of if anything
hell you probably don't even need to run it all
Just use manamorphose as a cantrip and fixing for your Inquisition. Its no Probe, but it is a free cantrip plus a peek at your opponent's hand.

People always point out the paragons of the greater community so they can ignore the shit aspects of their own community or improve themselves. They'll circle jerk about how good it is there without making any effort to improve their own place, the only place that really matters.

It's the same for people who go on the Internet and see how good it is elsewhere and bitch to their store about why it isn't the same there, when the circumstances (costs, player base) are not nearly the same at that excessively great store as in their own store.

It's a part of Magic, everyone wants to fucking correct everyone and look like they know the most - this usually follows 99% true statements like "black does not get countermagic". If I said Magic players are generally pieces of shit someone will point out how people constantly donate their garbage cards to new people. Or how everyone thinks Wizards is so fucking nice sending kits to people who lose their collections or to people serving in the military or replacing damaged Masterpieces when they won't do a simple thing that helps all players by nuking the Reserve List. It's when someone calls Catholics kid touchers and some douchebag points out the vast majority aren't but the whole point is that the community ignores that something utterly terrible festers within it but ignores it because of a minority of do-gooders.

I know that's utterly cynical but that's Magic for you.

..... oh shit you're right! I feel like an idiot.

Well, tell me how I'm wrong.

The game brings out the worst in people.

It's true.

Anyone else purposely do retarded shit to try and make people tilt? I always wear my big ugly canvass trench coat, a pepe the frog shirt and a fedora to every event I go to. (I'm planning on wearing my "Make Trudeau a Drama teacher again" hat to the next event I go to though, as the fedora doesn't seem to trigger all that well.)

Damn.

I wear this shirt to all events I go to

I also play Tron

>tilt
Go away reddit.

>It's when someone calls Catholics kid touchers and some douchebag points out the vast majority aren't

Yeah, fuck those assholes for correcting your blanket statement. Those dicks.

>but the whole point is that the community ignores that something utterly terrible festers within it but ignores it because of a minority of do-gooders.

Catholic priests dedicate their lives to act as (in theory) pillars of the community and are obligated to bring the message of God (as they see it), not his dick. Magic players play a card game and are obligated to not cheat or swing fists when they disagree on a ruling. The concept of that simile is there, but when they act the way you mention the scale is way off

The asspain is crisp this morning.

Are you actually defending pedophiles and those who harbor them?

We got Pic related as a decent cantrip recently.

I mean, sure its a sorcery, but its still a pretty decent cantrip in decks like UR Prowess and Infect (Infect Pauper mayhaps?).

>the entire Catholic Church is a global pedophile ring
Ebin
Also, keep in mind, per capita, catholic priests have one of the lowest rates per professions who have common interaction with children, more frequent ones being teachers, doctors, rabbis, day care instructors etc. The only reason people are ass ravaged about priests being pedophiles is because priest hood is supposed to be a sacred thing, people don't know their kids 3rd grade teacher as they do their priest typically, so when a priest does it, it's terrible. You're a faggot who got blinded by propoganda and no one likes you.

We got Pic related as a decent cantrip recently

I mean, sure its a sorcery, but its still a pretty decent cantrip in decks like UR Prowess and Infect (Infect Pauper mayhaps?).

>I also play Tron
I love you

I ain't no reddit commie fuckstain.
Tilt is just that word I hear most people use for rage quitting so hard they flip the table.

Take all this advise with a grain of salt since I haven't played storm since pre-dredge meta. I ran three (3) bolts main in Storm. It kills; Thalia, Red Eidolon, and Canonist (you start seeing her as a one-of in Chord-style decks once they realize there is a storm deck in the meta) which are the three cards you'll hate seeing the most, I still raged when I saw Eidolon of Rhetoric but hey 3 mana for a sideboard card. It also helps to greatly slow down aggro decks. I also like bolt because it's basically a +4 (three damage from itself + 1 spell cast) for the Grapeshot plan. Also having a bunch of bolts in the main allows for a couple more win conditions. Once people realize they are playing against a combo deck they will easily hurt themselves with their fetches and shocks down to 10-12 life, that's when the alternate plan of bolt you, bolt you, bolt you pyromancer ascension copies it and bolts you, really shines. And once they realize they can be bolted to death, they will stop taking so much damage from their lands thus having a slower game and giving you more time to assemble the regular storm plan.

Wha....?

No, I'm saying that the disparity of expectation versus reality of a priest molesting a kid is vastly different than that of Magic players acting like assholes or grognards and that making that comparison regarding "festering underbellies" within a group is retarded

what are some cards you wish were playable in modern?

>this is what passes for a decent cantrip in people's minds now
Sad

Fireblast, Chain Lightning and Price of Progress

terravore

preordain
baleful strix
Monastery Mentor because he's barely not good enough imo

He never will be without probe, look at young pyromancer, not even played anymore

I want to get into modern but i don't have a huge budget. Like 150-200ish. Is that enough to play at least a semi good deck or am i too far out of range to actually realistically think about it? What decks could i build for that budget that actually are capable of winning.

Rhox

He was my OG fatty and the boy who made me a Greenfag.

You can buy into storm pretty cheap right now. It has results and the main deck can be bought for about 100 dollars on ebay, then you can get a kind of budget mana base and improve on it, and mana bases are always a good thing to have in modern, cause fetches are great. Deck is a little more complrx to play though keep that in mind

You can probably Build Mono Green elves, just with no Cavern of Souls (not that big of a deal considering how shit counter magic is in modern)
Modern is a really expensive format, most decks cost between $500-$2000 USD

WHAT THE FUCK DO I PLAY

i own literally zero MTG cards but i've been playing with my housemate and im having a good time with the game.

he's got a zombie deck which i like and a tron deck as well which is good fun. i like the idea of artifact decks but im not sure what to pick. also doesn't help every deck is expensive as fuck. any help would be appreciated

play Xmage

Don't start with modern desu. I started modern buying into pod which looked really fun. Played it for 3 months then it got banned. Real ass pained still

I am actually really worried about building Affintty or Grishoalbrand for this reason. I know the SSG and Opal are vintage level bullshit is just a shit meme, but WotC is fucking retarded and loves sucking the cocks of faggots over at reddit, so them getting banned would not surprise me at all.

They'd probably ban Nourishing Shoal instead of SSG

all his decks are modern legal, or intended to be so that's the plan in terms of decks. i'd rather not have us play differing rule sets

If you want an actual deck that will always be good and competitive and never get banned too hard, buy GBx.

LSV is cancer, and so are you.

i looked at the primer and it says 4x tarmagoyfs. im not spending $800 my dude

>SaffronOlive

I want to do a supercut of Seth introducing himself in every video; something along the lines of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=SFmM5CWnmtE

Its like 300 now for 4

I don't like playing GBx
Its so interactive it almost feels linear if that makes any sense.
Its also expensive as fuck and way out of my price range at the moment.
I would buy chinamen but after my last batch came in I'm not sure if I trust the quality of his printer enough to drop 100 CDN on a fake deck that could get me banned.

is that because of MM17?

yeah there's something about green i also find kind of boring. black is good though. probably not worth buying fake shit if you plan on doing tournaments

>is that because of MM17?

No, it's because of the portals that opened over California and a bunch of Goyfs rained over the area for about a day. Really weird occurrence. Why would you think MM17 would effect the price of cards in the set? Retard

that's really unproductive, i've only seen a few of the spoilers so i was just asking

Infect is combo?

The game is played by a lot of nu-males that desperately want to fit in and be liked, and as they notice that there are authority figures that are well-liked, they "like" them too, hoping to fit in. Honestly, I have no idea how anyone can genuinely think that insufferable blowhards such as LSV are likable.

You should learn to deal with the bitter autistic virgins here, they're not going anywhere

Don't you feel big now

i expect the bitterness is because i have regular human contact

Have you actually met him? I'm the guy who mentioned I played against him, he was really respectful, adn nice, just a regular dude. I wasn't expecting anything, but when I met him, he seemed like a pretty cool gguy.

>portals that opened over California and a bunch of Goyfs rained over the area for about a day.
Meme this into reality, dark wizard.

I've seen him throw temper tantrums on Twitter over an article on SCG which called for equal treatment between the genders at events, and I've seen him join other SJWs in getting a guy that was convicted of a crime a decade ago banned from the game. And once it blew up in their faces, he deleted the tweets and pretended that that he wasn't involved. He's also fucking lame, his humor is beyond cringe worthy.

Pumping dudes is not combo.

UNBAN SUMMER BLOOM

>he has a problem with people being threaten equally
Oh so you're just a bitter fucking loser, I got it now

>so you don't like male feminist manginas that want to censor everyone that disagrees with them
>bitter loser
Go back to whatever hellhole you came from, dude.

No
bloom titan is uninteractive and gay, and we have enough gay uninteractive combo decks in the format. Hive mind is a gay card

Sure, it's called the world outside your moms basement you fucking loser ;)

>uninteractive and gay
Modern in a nutshell

Things like that make me tilt admittedly. Not in a gameplay sense but I just don't feel comfortable even though I don't show it.

It isn't the fact that it bothers me - you're really allowed to wear whatever you want. It's the fact that unfortunately, some people don't realize you're being ironic and that's when shit starts going downhill.

The moment you can't discern actual retardation from parody of retardation, that's the problem. It got to that point at my store. One guy got it into his head that he can throw decency into the wind and started really pushing the furry stuff; I mean ears and tail thing on his belt. Furry playmats and MLP sleeves. There isn't a problem with personal life choices but when it becomes the central trait to your character it does grate on everyone else; it's not like the pot smokers just suddenly go off raging on the benefits of pot and have weed on all their shit. It's not like I'm talking about the fine points of getting wasted and fighting cops.

Like shit that sets a bad example to the kids. And there are new people I see once and they never show up again. It's obviously killing attendance. It's an ongoing issue.

Hivemind is a great card. Forcing everyone to play an Epic spell from kamigawa is super fun. Pacts were a mistake though.