Alright Veeky Forums

Alright Veeky Forums,

I'm planning on writing a book based in a Fantasy world with multiple races (humans, orcs, elves, dwarfs, ect.) but here's the thing about it: It's supposed to be a direct parallel to human history and an analysis on historical events and civilizations. I'm trying to decide on how to go about doing this and I thought you guys could help with this.

I'll also be posting similar threads on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums, since I think they'd probably help with this idea. (please try to get along)

My question for you Veeky Forums is what races should I use for what cultures and should how should I blend the two (or three)? Here's I was thinking:

>Asian Orcs. I could make Mongol, Samurai, Chinese Orcs as they'd be a good comparison for Asia's near constant wars and unrest in history.
>Human Western Europeans. Because you know, probably Americans, Canadians and Europeans will probably be reading this
>Dwarf Eastern Europeans. Good stubborn, headed Russian Dwarfs.
>Muslim/Middle Eastern/African Elves. They would make good historical rivals for Human and Dwarf's.

I'll link the other threads below.

I might also mention Veeky Forums is recommending you guys as a better historical source. Nice on them.

I think you'd be better served on basing fantasy races off real world nationalities, rather than race.

I also think this is extremely vague, given that the practice (and indeed, your exact distribution) is pretty damn common. Maybe try shit we haven't seen represented in media a thousand times- lofty Incan dwarves, fading Mayan elves, bloodthirsty Aztecs without a race change.

>reccomending Veeky Forums for anything fiction related

Why are you so filled with hate, user?

So many authors did already that, even GW and besthesda did. You're useless.
But, you can make realy fantasy story.
By breaking codes and makes news story line.

You will take the human history point view including fantasy universe ?

Alrigth i will make a example.

Asian culture is the nearest for elves, make elves in east.
Nomadic cultutre, steppe hordes etc make them centaur.
Feodal and tribal structures make good bases for orcs.
The history of Swizterland could stand with dwarves, replied in moutain make them neutral merchand and mercenary.

You can make orgres with germanic slavic scandinavian traits. Figthing orc and centaur in eternal war.

Middle estern as polymorphic, minotors for persian, khajith for egyptian, satyr for greec.

The human in all this ? Just africans have kingdoms. Block by the other races they can't explore the world.

Humand are divided in minor kingdom and tribes. One in grow and expand, take example of ethiopia history, and one other build a trades empires, take the example of Carthage.

They're no romans, then carthage can conquer the satyr and ethiopia the khajit.

After that the two empire figth each other, one win and unified the human people, they have the satyr and the khajit as vassals. But minotaurs want the satyre and the khajit too.

Begin you history there. Human start to make a empire and start being consider like threat by the other races.

So... how exactly did we reach a point where the word "fantasy", which means "imagination", or "product of imagination", somehow became the label of the single least imaginative and most braindead genre in the world again?
OP, this is a stupid fucking idea and the fact that about hundred thousand other people already had it does not make it any less stupid.

How about, and this may sound off the rocker absolutely fucking insane, I know, but how about... when writing fantasy, you actually USE YOUR FUCKING IMAGINATION FOR ONCE. Or even better, don't fucking write any more fantasy if you can't fucking come up with an idea that is not complete derrivation of something that was never worth reading in the first place.

>reccomending Veeky Forums for anything fiction related
Veeky Forums does not have an issue with fiction. It has issue with genre fiction, genre literature in particular.

So another shitty generic pseudo-history fantasy?
Here's a tip, if you want to write a good fiction, focus on the core experiences you want to deliver and not pages of pointless lore dumps, which still can happen briefly on the side but not as the main dish.

The key to a good story is always the characters, then the plot, after then only the setting and moral lessons you want to interject into it. The reverse is the key to a borefest that nobody is interested to buy, let alone read.

This is why stupid new idiotic writers believe that their totally new amazing settings will the key to their stardom when everything in every media shows that great characters and their interactions with each other are the key to success regardless of how generic, attraction park or amazing your setting is.

So you do you want to do with your story?
1. Preach about how stupid your readers and their society are?
2. Tell a good story that excite the readers and make them interested in seeing more of how the characters face new difficulties and conflicts in their life?

Don't do the first before you manage to do the second well.

>So another shitty generic pseudo-history fantasy?
It's not pseudo-history, it's real history. Which somehow makes things even worse. Instead of even pretending to make up new stories, he just wants to take actual, well-known real world histories, and "enrich them" by making broad, vague and imprecise notions of ethnicity replaced by massively racist racial stereotypes.

He is basically doing what just about every B'grade fantasy author has been criticized for and driving it to an insane extreme.

>ARABIAN NIGHTS
>SPAIN
FUCK RIGHT OFF.

History is presumably not your strong point.

this desu

Is there a version of OP's map without the snarky commentry?

>would ironically use OP's map

Are you actually clinically retarded?

Yeah, it's called Europe.

To be fair, the map's been cropped and pieces have been moved around some.

>adding humans

You fucking retard.

>Veeky Forums does not have an issue with fiction. It has issue with genre fiction

Am I an idiot when I do not know the difference?

They're fine with stuff like Don Quixote and Ulysses. I think 'genre fiction' means fantasy, romance, sci-fi, and stuff like that.

They're still pretentious asshats, but there's a method to the madness. I think.

its really just been rotated 90 degrees

They also removed most of the Mediterranean and jammed Spain into the mainland. Otherwise it's mostly unchanged.

Genre fiction is when a story bends over to fit an easy narrative.

Eragon is genre fiction. Lord of the Rings isn't.

The problem with genre fiction is that it takes no effort. Anyone can make genre fiction if they put effort in it. Hell, we all make genre fiction on a regular basis just by participating in roleplays.

Your explanation explain nothing other than you are inventing a term to be extra pretentious.
Just say you don't like YA stuff because you are too old and dull to empathize with the protagonists like normal people do.

user definitely didn't invent 'genre fiction.' The definition given by google is:
>Genre fiction, also known as popular fiction, is plot-driven fictional works written with the intent of fitting into a specific literary genre, in order to appeal to readers and fans already familiar with that genre. Genre fiction is generally distinguished from literary fiction.

By this definition I think Lord of the Rings would be genre fiction. The definition is wide enough that I'm not sure how you would differentiate genre fiction and literary fiction because stuff has so many tags these days; a story will always fit into at least one category.

Literary fiction definition:
>Literary fiction comprises fictional works that hold literary merit; that is, they involve social commentary, or political criticism, or focus on the human condition.

So I guess it's whatever the critics like? It seems like an arbitrary line

For example, Hammer's Slammers was partially written to sell. It's Vietnam-era style combat gussied up with plasma rifles and advanced electronics, but the author also wrote the series as a method of self-therapy after his experience in the Vietnam war and continued the series as a method of de-romanticizing combat; he wanted to show people a more true-to-life example of how combat effects the men on the ground and how the constant threat of violent death forces a person to think.

There's one passage where a new guy rakes a civilian bus with a gun and sets off the fuel tank. He mistook the silhouette of someone's arm for a rifle and he's horrified but no one else in the car is. Because he's wrong this time but what if he hadn't been? Then everyone in the car would've bought it. It's just something the other guys in the car have learned to live with already.

So we have a series written to sell, written to appeal to fans of science fiction and war drama, but which also focuses intently on an aspect of the human condition. Is it literary or genre fiction?

It's a little skeevy to make white folk the only humans and everyone else some fantasy race

It has been done. Also: there's literally a billion things you could do instead of putting out yet another version of "white people are humans everyone else is some kind of subhuman stereotype". If I want to read that, I either go to /pol/ or dust off my vintage 19th century World Histories. Maybe try carpenting or start a stamp collection.