Has anyone here ever played Masks?

Has anyone here ever played Masks?

I'm not a big superhero fan, but I love PbtA and this hack looks like it has neat rules.

>not a big superhero fan
>starts a thread about a superhero RPG

?????

Not OP, but PbTA is as much as a GMing style as it as a ruleset and naturally the two intertwine. So playing something "for the system" would actually sense here.

I don't like post apocalyptic stuff at all and I liked playing Apocyplse World.

Though yeah, it DOES make more sense to choose a PbtA game in a genre/flavor of you choice.

>every hero except the girl with dyke hair and a wierd pale guy look like non-whites
i have a bad feeling about this

It's a very basic "It could be worse" but the system is basically just another PbtA game with a narrative superpower integrated.
The only bad things I can pick up with a half-skim of it, is the system forcing specific "relationships" between characters based on what type of character you play, making replaying them or exploring a new angle very annoying. For example, all Doomed characters need to have a crush on another PC. When your entire system relies on introspection and growth, it's hard to do when you have very hard lines to follow when you deal with party dynamics.
It's also imoprtant to notify this is a TEEN hero game, not a super hero game, since the entire game is about playing with angst, identity issues and growth. It requires good roleplaying in general, making it a not great game to be played with strangers, which goes against the "one-shot" feeling the game has.
It looks interesting, if the whole package feels catered to a very specific style of game, so I'll probably see if I can get a group for a one shot.

I feel you. There shouldn't be any whites at all.

If I want to run a superhero game with only 2 PCs should I use this, M&M or other system?

If it helps I like to run games with different types of dice and with different classes

>Has anyone here ever played Masks?
I ran a one-shot of it. My group liked the system Did you have any specific mechanic questions?

>95% of human population looks like non-whites
>only 66% of the humans on the cover look like non-whites

You're right, we should fix that.

Only two people on that cover have masks.

Three of them have hoodies though.

% of human population looks like non-whites
Yeah, but most of those people won't even be able to read the game rules because they don't speak English, so it's rather irrelevant how many of them are out there because they are not the consumers of that product.

Sort of like how D&D books only have humans on the covers?

Only one of them has a mask. The one on the left is face paint.

The "masks" are metaphorical.

The trolls are unfortunately corporeal.

Masks in a nutshell

Fluff: A far inferior version of Worm.

Crunch: A far inferior version of Mutents and Masterminds.

It's not like there's actual negroes in it.

>Crunch: A far inferior version of Mutents and Masterminds.
but it's not trying to do the same thing as M&M, it's apples and oranges

Masks is a game that is more about story-telling and the psychological impact super-heroing has on a bunch of teens/young adults- it is by no means a simulation of super powers.

Magic is telekinesis is science death rays is whatever. If you're looking for a nitty gritty mechanics superhero game, this isn't for you.

The mechanics of Masks, and of all good PbtA games, exist to complement and further the narrative. They don't exist just to exist or differentiate between similar powers that ultimately hurt the bad guy.

This isn't necessarily good or bad- it may or may not be your kind of thing.

Masks doesn't give a shit whether you blow stuff up with magic or telekinesis, it cares immensely about how blowing stuff up makes you feel