Map Thread

How probable is this landmass?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/13NSIFm0w56oTbdG2C_D07Fn0hnilX0oleTacNyEGk10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That island chain is a little funky but the rest looks alright

Don't ask about maps here, people here think they're geology experts when in fact they don't know shit.

Looks fine, other than mountains can't tell what areas are forests, plains, deserts etc.

The mountain chain middle left does looks a little odd though.

What do you guys think of my map (and the little lord that is included)? Keep in mind that my world building skills aren't the best as I am still working on it, and I would gladly receive some constructive criticism.
>docs.google.com/document/d/13NSIFm0w56oTbdG2C_D07Fn0hnilX0oleTacNyEGk10

>Lore not lord*

maybe someone actually is a geology expert

Needs a scale and lines of latitude.

You may want to identify tablelands on the map. Showing only mountains leaves it difficult to tell much about the lay of the land.

Pretty good, overall. The 3 large islands in the NE stand out as oddly shaped.
I really like how it does not look like Europe.
If you really want to hammer Geology! into your map, start with plate tectonics and finish with littoral drift.

Looks fine. Landmass in the upper right resembles a claw, depends on how you feel about that.

Scale would be helpful. Don't worry about tectonics and shit. No one who ends up playing will care and adjusting your fun for dipshits on the internet is a bad idea.

82.6% probable. If it's actually confirmed to exist then 100.0% probable.

I used Inkarnate to make fine map, but snice the last update, they removed a lot of texture and symbols, making it unusable. I remembered that, a while ago, on a similar thread, I stepped on a few photoshop tutorials on "how to make nice map". Does someone have those to share?

Stop putting so many mountains at the north pole. Just because they're both cold doesn't mean they go together.

work in progress

landmass size comparison
The shapes are meant to be alien and strange
Also the left continent is actually one landmass with a canyon the size of South America that splits it in two

>Don't ask about maps here, people here think geology matters while in fact it doesn't
Here's a better version of your reply.

I studied geology in the Uni. I can tell you that my course had everything to do with minerals and their distribution patterns and nothing to do with the formation of continents and coastlines. So I'm one of the very few here who actually did study geology, maybe the only one, and I admit I can't give particularly solid advice on how maps should be shaped. Here you go.

They're not talking about geology because they are fucking retards. They mean geography.
I studied geography as a minor and I can tell you that there was stuff about continental formation, but most of it was about clouds, glaciers, volcanoes and shit like the population of India.

What's a good program for making sector maps for sci-fi games?

paint.net

photoshop

I'm no expert, but it seems a bit funky that there're so many mountains so close to water in so many different directions with such large areas of not-mountains in between them.

Also, we need to know the scale. Are we looking at 500km west-east, or 5000km?

That's pretty cool, what type of game are you going to use it for? Or do you just make up worlds for fun as I do?

Just for fun because I have no friends to play RPGs with

maybe add some city-state islands in the sleeping sea and Etheral bay.

That's not a bad idea. I'm writing it down in my notes.

Here, don't take fantasy mapmaking too seriously though.

Geology student here. Are you American or English by any chance?

for scale, this landmass is about 300 miles wide

I hope your setting has a lot of ships with bays like those.

It's going to have more, in time.

I made the shape of the land by stitching together google maps screenshots of cool coastlines. Random generation wasn't giving me anything that struck a chord.

I've studied both geology and geoinformatics, suck my dick and get over yourself.

I'd believe it

take a load of this absolute garbage map i made

Maps thread? Maps thread.

This is my map of my own game. I'm pretty bad to draw maps, any advice?

Typically the kind of thing you see smoking stuff with native americans

Oh god, never run a game in dreamland but seriously, everytime I see maps from it, I'm just here wondering if I could just ditch the scenario and go "fuck it, now you go inside your dreams, go and talk to these cats" (will run tatters of king, might be able to fit some dreamlands in it...)

Don't use bright yellow for deserts, use a light brown like and Same goes for grass and water.

ok, thx

Make it less curly-swoopy. The main land masses and the smaller group in the lower right corner both show that that's a shape you favor too much.

Need a critical eye to help me place mountain ranges. For scale, this sideways would basically be Europe and Northeastern American continent.

Just overlay 4-5 random shapes and then put mountains were they touch.
It doesn't matter where you place mountain ranges, nobody cares if its inaccurate, and if they do, they probably don't know enough about geology to know why it's wrong. If you care, you should read up upon mountain range formation.

I do know stuff about geology/climate/etc, but for some reason even though I like the general shape of the landmasses, I can't seem to get a read on where mountains should go.

Mountains are a byproduct of continental drift. You'll need to figure out what the tectonic plates are doing on your world, and stick mountains where they're come into contact.

Is this a final fantasy map or did you just jack some ff names?