/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Monitor & Merrimack Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/we2qrbykua0jwjk/Osprey - DUEL 014 - Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad.pdf
mediafire.com/download/nsw1t9xwqmrmm21/Osprey - CAM 103 - Hampton Roads 1862.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3k6im16oc5ze4y6/Osprey - NVA 045 - Union Monitor 1861-65.pdf
mediafire.com/download/15bs0w5gag8ra6a/Osprey - NVA 041 - Confederate Ironclad 1861-65.pdf
mediafire.com/download/7tjcc8jxvxtn34f/Anaconda - Capital Navies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/u88nuwta6842obw/Osprey - ELI 137 - The Mexican Revolution 1910-20.pdf
mediafire.com/download/tboall84afn6iov/Osprey - RAID 029 - The Hunt for Pancho Villa 1916-17.pdf
mediafire.com/download/hpq8ffn3sfd7gpt/Osprey - MAA 300 - French Foreign Legion Since 1945.pdf
mediafire.com/download/47q3513621mwd2z/Osprey - MAA 315 - The French Army 1939-45 (1) The Army of 1939-40 & Vichy France.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sxvrn40wmw90rwi/Osprey - MAA 322 - The French Indochina War 1946-54.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=vmnnqJm_4Pc
testofbattle.com/upload/bob/Lang Son.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier#United_States_variants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Tractor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

9th March in military history:

1230 – Bulgarian tsar Ivan Asen II defeats Theodore of Epirus in the Battle of Klokotnitsa.
1811 – Paraguayan forces defeat Manuel Belgrano at the Battle of Tacuarí.
1831 – The French Foreign Legion is established by King Louis Philippe to support his war in Algeria.
1847 – Mexican–American War: The first large-scale amphibious assault in U.S. history is launched in the Siege of Veracruz.
1862 – American Civil War: The USS Monitor and CSS Virginia fight to a draw in the Battle of Hampton Roads, the first battle between two ironclad warships.
1916 – Mexican Revolution: Pancho Villa leads nearly 500 Mexican raiders in an attack against the border town of Columbus, New Mexico.
1925 – Pink's War: The Royal Air Force began a bombardment and strafing campaign against the mountain strongholds of Mahsud tribesmen in South Waziristan.
1944 – World War II: Japanese troops counter-attack American forces on Hill 700 in Bougainville in a battle that would last five days.
1944 – World War II: Soviet Army planes attack Tallinn, Estonia.
1945 – The Bombing of Tokyo by the United States Army Air Forces begins, one of the most destructive bombing raids in history.
1945 – World War II: A coup d'état by Japanese forces in French Indochina removes the French from power.
1956 – Soviet forces suppress mass demonstrations in the Georgian SSR, reacting to Nikita Khrushchev's de-Stalinization policy.
1977 – The Hanafi Siege: In a thirty-nine-hour standoff, armed Hanafi Muslims seize three Washington, D.C., buildings, killing two and taking 149 hostage.

It is 155 years since the Battle of Hampton Roads, the most noted and arguably most important naval battle of the American Civil War from the standpoint of the development of navies. It was fought over two days, March 8–9, 1862, in Hampton Roads, a roadstead in Virginia where the Elizabeth and Nansemond Rivers meet the James River just before it enters Chesapeake Bay adjacent to the city of Norfolk. The battle was a part of the effort of the Confederacy to break the Union blockade, which had cut off Virginia's largest cities, Norfolk and Richmond, from international trade.

The major significance of the battle is that it was the first meeting in combat of ironclad warships, i.e. the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia. The Confederate fleet consisted of the ironclad ram Virginia (built from the remnants of the USS Merrimack) and several supporting vessels. On the first day of battle, they were opposed by several conventional, wooden-hulled ships of the Union Navy. On that day, Virginia was able to destroy two ships of the Federal flotilla, USS Congress and USS Cumberland, and was about to attack a third, USS Minnesota, which had run aground. However, the action was halted by darkness and falling tide, so Virginia retired to take care of her few wounded and repair her minimal battle damage.

Determined to complete the destruction of the Minnesota, Virginia returned to the fray the next morning, March 9. During the night, however, the ironclad Monitor had arrived and had taken a position to defend Minnesota. When Virginia approached, Monitor intercepted her. The two ironclads fought for about three hours, with neither being able to inflict significant damage on the other. The duel ended indecisively, Virginia returning to her home at the Gosport Navy Yard for repairs and strengthening, and Monitor to her station defending Minnesota. The ships did not fight again, and the blockade remained in place.

The battle received worldwide attention, and it had immediate effects on navies around the world. The preeminent naval powers, Great Britain and France, halted further construction of wooden-hulled ships, and others followed suit. A new type of warship was produced, the monitor, based on the principle of the original. The use of a small number of very heavy guns, mounted so that they could fire in all directions was first demonstrated by Monitor but soon became standard in warships of all types. Shipbuilders also incorporated rams into the designs of warship hulls for the rest of the century.

There's no shortage of literature on this subject, but not that many games. ACW naval gaming definitely has a following, however. The Anaconda ruleset is focused on larger coastal actions but there are also rules in the folder for river actions, for those gamers who love their paddlepowered gunboats.

mediafire.com/download/we2qrbykua0jwjk/Osprey - DUEL 014 - Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad.pdf
mediafire.com/download/nsw1t9xwqmrmm21/Osprey - CAM 103 - Hampton Roads 1862.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3k6im16oc5ze4y6/Osprey - NVA 045 - Union Monitor 1861-65.pdf
mediafire.com/download/15bs0w5gag8ra6a/Osprey - NVA 041 - Confederate Ironclad 1861-65.pdf

mediafire.com/download/7tjcc8jxvxtn34f/Anaconda - Capital Navies.pdf

It is 101 years since the Battle of Columbus, an attack conducted by Pancho Villa's Division of the North on the small US border town of Columbus, New Mexico. The raid escalated into a full-scale battle between Villistas and the US Army. Villa himself led the assault, only to be driven back into Mexico by elements of the 13th Cavalry. The attack angered Americans and President Woodrow Wilson ordered the Pancho Villa Expedition in which the US Army invaded Mexico in an unsuccessful attempt to capture General Villa.

In spite of Villa's claim that the raid was a success by evidence of captured arms and equipment as well as horses and mules, the raid was a tactical disaster for him with ill-afforded casualties which numbered over 100 of his force of 400-500 men. Despite a fight of more than an hour and the burning of several buildings, American casualties were much smaller: eight soldiers and ten civilians were killed and six soldiers and two civilians were wounded.

The United States government wasted no time in responding. The Battle of Columbus was a direct cause of the Pancho Villa Expedition, a punitive expedition led by General John J. Pershing to track down and capture or kill the attackers, including Villa. In the search, the Army used Jenny airplanes for reconnaissance and trucks to carry supplies (both firsts for the Army). They scoured portions of northern Mexico for six months but Villa was not found. In April 1917, when the United States entered World War I, and under intense diplomatic pressure from the Mexican government, these troops were withdrawn from Mexico and sent to France.

Any good WW1 skirmish set would suit this, with Mud and Blood perhaps being ideal.

mediafire.com/download/u88nuwta6842obw/Osprey - ELI 137 - The Mexican Revolution 1910-20.pdf
mediafire.com/download/tboall84afn6iov/Osprey - RAID 029 - The Hunt for Pancho Villa 1916-17.pdf

It is 72 years since the Japanese coup d'état in French Indochina, an almost forgotten footnote in WW2 history. The French Indochinese government - had remained loyal to the Vichy regime after the fall of France in June 1940 - was overthrown in a short but violent operation. The Japanese delivered an ultimatum for the French troops to disarm, without warning. Those who refused were usually massacred. In Saigon, senior Japanese officers invited the French commanders to a banquet. The officers who attended were arrested and almost all were killed.

In Saigon the two senior Vichy officials, General Emile-René Lemonnier and Resident Camille Auphalle, were executed by decapitation, after refusing to sign surrender documents. The most determined French resistance was at Dong Dang where a company of Tonkinese Rifles and a battery of colonial artillery held out for three days before being massacred.

The French upcountry garrisons fared better, however, and, under the leadership of Major-General Marcel Alessandri, a column of 5,700 French troops, including many Foreign Legionnaires fought its way through to Nationalist China.

If you're looking for an obscure new front to try in your WW2 gaming, you might find something in these desperate struggles long-since buried by more glamorous actions. There is very little information on it in English; here a few related Ospreys which might be of use.

mediafire.com/download/hpq8ffn3sfd7gpt/Osprey - MAA 300 - French Foreign Legion Since 1945.pdf
mediafire.com/download/47q3513621mwd2z/Osprey - MAA 315 - The French Army 1939-45 (1) The Army of 1939-40 & Vichy France.pdf
mediafire.com/download/sxvrn40wmw90rwi/Osprey - MAA 322 - The French Indochina War 1946-54.pdf

The community project this month is an obsolete unit or vehicle.

I remember reading a book that was a bio of John Ericsson. If I remember correctly, the guns on Monitor were his own design, and he felt that they could have penetrated Merrimack's hull, except for the fact that the gunnery officer aboard Monitor was afraid of using the charge that Ericsson specified, for fear that he'd blow the guns up.

I read weird shit as a kid.

So Warlord is going down a slippery slope. Third battle report in their newsletter with unpainted/half painted armies, plus a Pz IV with markings that even I can tell are wrong, not to mention the dark grey base color.

Also, an article that tries to justify the 24" range, and why they couldn't shoot from one end of a 28mm Pegasus bridge to the other.

I don't enjoy 28mm ww2 and this just enforces my point haha!

>If I remember correctly, the guns on Monitor were his own design, and he felt that they could have penetrated Merrimack's hull, except for the fact that the gunnery officer aboard Monitor was afraid of using the charge that Ericsson specified, for fear that he'd blow the guns up.
That's how it went in the made-for-TV movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=vmnnqJm_4Pc

>Dat acting.
>Dat accent.

That battlereport was really weak.

>Fallschirmjägers represented by (unpainted!!) Grenadier models.

Why the fuck bother with calling them Fallschirmjägers when Veteran Grenadiers have exactly the same equipment available?

I have no problem with them featuring (good looking) stuff from the community like they often do, but from what i recall, that battlereport was done by one of their employees.
In such a case i expect fully painted (and properly themed) armies and painted terrain, otherwise its just a sad joke.

Here's a scenario and battle report for a Japanese vs Vichy French fight

testofbattle.com/upload/bob/Lang Son.htm

Was that the same guy whos guns exploded killing the secretary of the navy or someone similarly important?

And like I said, this is the third battlereport like this. And not a iota of progress have been seen.

Plus if you're an employee, just ask your boss for a box of FJ for fuck's sake.

>Warlord
I disagree with this article. He speaks about hit probability, that I have with dice roll. Range is another story.

One of the things I really liked about Iron Cross is the long weapon ranges. Combined with it's interrupt mechanic it really provides the feeling that one wrong move will get everyone killed.

>an article that tries to justify the 24" range

And entire article... when the only justification for it is 'because we did it in 40k to make sure armies have to move a bit before shooting at each other it worked so why change?'.

this sounds fun, are there onlie rules?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't own a copy myself, just joined in some games of it at my club.

You could check Secrets of the Third Reich if you want something similar concerning weapon ranges. Under the Weird War stuff, the engine is a solid WW2 game.

Crossfire does this too doesn't it?

A vickers mmg's effective range is 2 Km so it seems like really you should have to use cover/concealment/suppression to get close to a MG nest

You're confusing/conflating a few things which isn't surprising seeing how US Navy had a decades long habit of throwing Ericsson under the bus!

1st, Monitor's XI Dahlgrens were fired at half charges because the Navy was worried about the concussive effects of full charges on the men inside the turret. Those fear proved unfounded and monitors from then on fired full and even double charge. As for Monitor pushing Merrimac's shit in if full charge were used, yes, that would have happened as shown in the later Weehawken vs. Fingal/Atlanta battle.

2nd Monitor's guns were designed by John Dahlgren an officer/engineer/inventor who created the Navy's Bureau of Ordinance.

3rd, the burst gun accident occurred aboard USS Princeton in 1844. A politically connected captain named Stockton hired Ericcson to design an advanced screw steamer for the Navy. Ericcson also design a pivot gun for the vessel. Stockton began easing Ericcson out of the project in order to claim all the success and designed a gun for the ship which he wrongly thought was a copy of Ericcson's. It was Stockton's gun that exploded killing several people including a couple of cabinet officers. Stockton's political connections - he was from New Jersey naturally - enabled him to avoid all blame. Ericcson's design was blamed, not Stockton's incompetence, even though Stockton had failed to understand or correctly copy that design.

I have a strange request. Are there any Cold War games with a lower model count (sub 50) that uses d6s? The only thing I can think of is No End In Sight.

For the Russian Front user asking for it in the last thread....map and charts can be found in the VASSAL module.

For the guy asking about FoF PLA last thread...
PLA Special forces Initiative D10, confidence high, supply normal, body armour 1D, TQ/M D10/D10
No ToE for regulars, sorry

Maybe it was Dahlgren's bio I remember reading then. You gotta remember user, this was a good 18-20 years ago, when I was in elementary/middle school. I do remember a whole lot more focus on cannon and cannon design than Ericsson apparently did, so this seems likely.

It's alright, user. ACW naval warfare & gaming has been my "thing" for decades now. In fact, the whole pre-dread era is my "thing". Some of us know "too much" about planes, tanks, rifles, etc. and I know "too much" about ironclads!

You're right too. Dahlgren did have one of his designs explode, but it was a smaller version, X vs Monitor's XI, and it was because the manufacturer failed to follow Dahlgren's instructions regarding cooling the bore after drilling. Because the X types were normally used as deck mounted pivots, the Navy directed that the guns from that manufacturer/batch use half charges until replaced.

It's sad but, nearly 175 years after the political whitewash job pulled to save Stockton's career after the Princeton explosion, the story is still fucking over Ericcson. Things never change.

Has anybody found a copy of the Gripping Beast Swordpoint rules? Looks very promising with it covering a huge timeframe with all the planned expansions..

>1st, Monitor's XI Dahlgrens were fired at half charges because the Navy was worried about the concussive effects of full charges on the men inside the turret.

To be totally fair to the Navy, Dahlgren *himself* recommended the reduced load as he wasn't sure what was absolutely needed to pierce iron plate at specific combat ranges.

>To be totally fair to the Navy, Dahlgren *himself* recommended the reduced load as he wasn't sure what was absolutely needed to pierce iron plate at specific combat ranges.

True, but Monitor was authorized to use full charges within weeks of the battle and the reason behind the decision to initially use half-charges were not because a Dahlgren had blown up.

Full charges were being used soon after and even double charges in some situations like Mobile.

>an obsolete...vehicle.

But who even MAKES F-35 minis?

Not sure if Konflikt 47 talk goes in here or in /awg/ but I just got a starter set, and I can't figure out what heavy infantry's Assault Weapons do. Am I missing something super obvious or is it not in the rulebook?

Dear 1

It goes in /awg/ because it's not a historical wargame.

Dear 1:72 user, I am the one who a few months back tormented you into removing your name and to eventually stop posting your work. I shitposted you hard and made it seem like many people hated you. I am sorry and I honestly wish youd come back and contribute to these wonderful threads. I was an asshole generating drama just so the thread would stay active. I am sorry.

Anybody got a good source on 10mm scale British flags for Napoleonics? I'm thinking Pendraken for the models themselves but they don't have any post-1801 Union Flags that I can find.

It goes in both you autist. Both threads held a strawpoll and it was overwhelmingly decided it could be discussed in either

I would say general discussion goes in /awg/ but specific rules questions are fine in here because the Bolt Action anons might now.

> might now.

know*, fuck I should go to bed.

And yet it basically never comes up here. Strange that.

That's a pretty unbelievable claim.

GHQ does both B and C models for 1:285 scale.

stop shitposting

Could you just shrink images down and super glue printed paper?

Nice return shitposter-kun

>Pointing out a non-historical game goes in a different thread to the historical games one is now shitposting
>Doubting that the guy who trolled 1:72anon away has any remorse for their actions is now shitposting
>Answering a dude's question on where to get F-35 miniatures is now shitposting

Fucking hell this thread has gone to the dogs lately.

>>Doubting that the guy who trolled 1:72anon away has any remorse for their actions is now shitposting
Well I literally am that guy and now that hes gone I sincerely miss his stuff, I was/am a shit person but he was an awfully good force for this place and without him it feels more hollow

Weird War belongs here too, deal with it faggot

I miss 1:72anon too

COME BACK 1:72 user

We all miss him

I never did get my answer on what heavy infantry's Assault Weapons do...

1:72 user is probably asleep, it's 4:30am in hungary.

What rules are people using to refight Agincourt currently?

The old standards I guess - Impetus, Field of Glory, DBM. At Salute 2015 the Lance and Longbow Society played a great-looking game using a slightly modded version of Hail Caesar.

It's a tricky one to recreate on the table, because you need to balance out the strong French position with things like the weather and the psychological element (all those impetuous knights).

Next thread is going to be 1;72 user edition

post ww2

Just built this a few minutes ago.

[pressed X for doubt]

Depends on the type of paper used to be honest, but I wouldn't use superglue with standard paper. Maybe with photo paper, but I'd much rather use PVA or aper glue (if it still exists, been like 15 years since I last used it).

In the rulebook it says they have Assault Rifles, not Assault Weapons.

It was 4:23 to be exact.

At a local show they used WAB, and it seemed pretty fun. Last year they did a smaller siege with the Hungarian army assaulting a stronghold of the HRE.

Oh hey 1:72 user, I promise I am the asshole who was tormenting you. Please come back.

The Soviet ones say Assault Weapons. Page 185, "Dual weapon pack and Assault Weapon". The Dual Weapon Pack is obv the SMG+AT rifle combo, which leaves the claw or hammer to be the assault weapon, but I can't find any hint as to their rules

Page 70, assaults, " otherwise, models make one attack in handto-hand fighting. However, some weapons and some abilities grant additional attacks, in which case roll the appropriate number of dice equal to the total number of attacks generated. For example, models equipped with assault weapons gain an extra attack, so roll two dice per model so equipped. This total number of dice is then reduced by one for each pin marker on the fighting unit, to a minimum of one die"

Not sure where the original rule is described tho.

I'm drunk and thinking of what to buy.

1/3000th warships, 28mm vietnams, or other period.

convince me anons.

6mm Napoleonic of course

Buy the three Strelets Dark Age boxes from Hannants, play SAGA or any other dark age game.

please forgive me 1:72

Anglo-Boer war is another one I'm drunk thinking of

Them pith helmets and enfields.

How Does Saga play though? I was looking for a skirmish game and pretty much dismissed it because "I go you go" is pretty awful at anything other than exceptionally large sacale battles.

but convince me and provide me suppliers.

is TMP dead?

No, just down for maintenance.

Well, you can always tweak it and play it differently. Tomahawk Studios won't kick down your door for playint alternating activation.

Go for 6mm Baccus. The owner, Peter, is a very nice chap. He makes very small but very fine models. 60 Dollars gives you a very large army.

US troops used bren carriers for artillery too right, like a t-15 or something.

Erm, not really. They didn't have Bren carriers. Not sure what they used for towing the 57mm gun (Jeep, maybe?) tho.

I was referencing this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier#United_States_variants

Those were US made, not US used.

Did you bother read your own link?

The T-16 was made in the US by Ford for the Lend Lease program , was used primarily by the Canadians, and never adopted by the US Army. That's why the vehicle has a "T" prefix instead of the usual "M".

>and never adopted by the US Army
Seems like no, they didn't use brens.

They did, however have the M6:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Tractor

Also the M4 and M5 tractors. They both had M2 browning MGs on them.

Trust the US to only want to use their own MGs and tractors

I've got a few hours to kill in London.

Imperial War Museum or HMS Belfast?

>Imperial War Museum

That there.

Belfast, the IWM really needs a whole day to itself, though the same could be argued for HMS Belfast.

Wallace Collection

Belfast. While you won't be able to see all of her, you'll be able to see more of her in a few hours.

Going to the IWM with only a few hours in hand is only going to piss you off when you realize how much stuff you won't be able to see.

It's like only having one hour for the Louvre or Prado.

Been too many times. Have they changed things in the last nine months?

Last time I went they only had the old catalogues out, so no accessible context for the artifacts or their use. Capwell etc. put on great talks and events, but day to day it's still a bit lacking.

Been there, it's awesome. So +1 on that

GOd five men at Kursk is a terrible rule set, you have a squad of 10-12 guys and only 3 of them can move/shoot a turn? May as well just run the commander with the mg team every turn what's the point of riflemen other than bogging you down in this game

I found the IWM lacking. I don't think I could spend all day there.

If you guys ever go to Brussels or Paris, the National War Museum in Brussel and the Hotel des Invalides in Paris are the two best military (and probably in general aswell) museums I have ever been to.

I bought this from some guy for 10 bucks, haven't got it to they table, but I'm really looking forward to it. I don't really have any hex-and-chit games not set in antiquity, so this'll be a pretty new experience

Battlegroup is finally making it to North Africa, it seems.

>When you pay $40 for something
>When you see that something online selling for $25 a week later

I just want too die

Bought the 8 men Tamiya samurai set for 15$ for my birthday.

Right after paying for them I found them for 10$ I couldn't do anything about them, so doesn't matter. I would have paid 15$ for them, and I suppose you would have paid 40$ for the items you've purchased. Don't let this affect you user, I'm fairly sure that 15$ won't cost your life.

>Could have got two (2) somethings for $10 more
>Chill out user haha

I'll get over it user, just let me bitch

If you would lurk more you'd know that he posted a couple of days ago about 1/72 diecast tanks.. as anonymous ofc, but it was obvious that it was him.

Sure user, feel free to bitch. We all need to let off a bit of steam sometimes.

kinda like buying vidya on steam

You're an idiot, action dice apply to your whole squad

Really?

I too thought you can move 3 guys and have to make decisions on which guys to move each turn.

The static collections were very superficial, despite having some really interesting artifacts. The Holocaust exhibition was harrowing and reasonably in depth. The Lord Ashcroft collection of VCs was great. The Special Forces/Intelligence exhibition was quite good, with sections for the Chindits, Oman, a detailed breakdown of the Embassy Siege etc.

The 'Drones and Handicrafts' exhibition was the kind of wank that belongs in an art gallery, not a museum.

All in all a solid 7/10 for two hours of entertainment. The cafe had a surprisingly good pastrami sandwich and salad box at merely eye watering prices.

Overall comparable to the Auckland War Memorial Museum, but way below the Gallipoli exhibition I saw in Wellington.

Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.