Horizon Zero: tg

How would you go about running this world Veeky Forums? Mind with an emphasis on the dismantling of your enemies and careful prepartion to not die a horrible and painful death to a snapjaw.

You'd want it focused essentially on hunting. Things for stealth, tracking, precision, etc. Add in ways to use elemental vials and craft stuff and you've got a good baseline.

to go off this, the relationships between the tribes is defined by their relationships with the machines.

You can't mount all mech

I do think Horizon could make a really good traditional game. For what looked like just another open world game with a nice aesthetic, the depth of worldbuilding and story was really good.

However I'm honestly not sure what systems are out there which could really capture the tone of the world. I mean, you can default to a generic system I guess, but it's always better to find something directly appropriate.

I think I'd prefer to make my own bit of the setting though. One of the other Cradle sites with its own tribal cultures surrounding it.

I'd use it as a chance to have a plot about finding surviving fragments of Apollo, because its destruction made me more angry and frustrated than any of the other tragedies and atrocities in the game

The biggest problem of an RPG version of HZD is the biggest problem with Horizon's narrative - The seperation from what we know is technology and a scientific mindset from the religious and spiritual influences that the in-game characters are meant to feel.

Many characters come off as stupid and petty because they believe that many of these things going on are magical and the work of deities, while the plot revolves around the main character (and us, the players) knowing that it's machines and robots that can be dissembled, reprogrammed, rebooted, &etc. That these gods and goddesses are AIs from ancient times trying to do their work still.

The best example for actually making it work would probably be Numenera, where the divide of technology and magic is so vague and the post-apocalypse is so far-flung and strange that even the players should be confused and not have an implicit bias about working on things.

I think you can trust players to keep the IC/OOC distinction pretty clear. Although I might just be one of the lucky bastards who has good players I could trust to do that. Idiot proofing/preparing for the worst case scenarios is an important part of design.

Was gonna say, if you can keep things seperated it'd be stellar. That said the system would need to be fast and loose for the most part. I ccan see tearing armor off being based around mechs havingDr tthat can be lowered by weapons witha special trait(tearing)

I'd move away from the idea of emulating exact mechanics, at least at first.

When moving between media, you need to focus on the theme, tone and style of things. Capture the essence rather than struggling to copy-paste details which might not make the transition.

With the combat, for example? Horizon's component destruction and status based combat is all about rewarding planning, precision and knowing your enemy. You'd be better served in focusing on those three aspects in building an RPG combat system, rather than shoehorning in vidya mechanics that don't create the same effect in an RPG setting.

Bump?

I bet Faro just wanted to avoid people remembering him, funny that most of the history that did survive is about how much he fucked up.

on crunch ide recomend something resembling the FF 40k games for damage values, called shots and such

My god, Ted Faro is just the fucking worst. Out of all the assholes in the game I despise him the most.

I could see that working make it so armor on each part can be ripped off or something?

Announce I'm going to do it and then have everyone lose interest a week later cause someone's running a zelda game with the exact same theme

>retarded numale trash

No fucking thanks

excuse me? what does this game have to do with that?

For the kind of person who makes a statement like that, things like evidence or rational thought aren't really a factor. Best to just ignore them.

>he asked from within the comfort of his ironic red flannel shirt, thick rimmed glasses and shitty beard

I think you've become obsessed with fighting invisible, non-existent enemies, out of a desire to have genuine conflict in your comfortable first-world life.

>Muh strong female protagonist
>Muh evil white male literal devil
>Muh men are either retarded or evil
>Muh mudslime hijaab good guy scientists who saved 'humanity'

It's thick with it.

I'm in my Pajamas right now, need no glasses and plan to shave tomorrow

>numale mad as fuck

ignore him, /v/ has bit shiposting anything Zero Dawn Related out of a perceived resemblance to progressive for the sake of progressive ideas

MUH WAAAAAAAAH

Delicious lack of argument.

Wallow in your own tears, neckbeard.

>everyone is /v/
>everyone is /pol/
>everyone in the world disagrees with me
>everyone in the world is the problem, not me

I've got bad news for you.

Ironically enough, Savage Worlds would work quite well. You'd need some random tables for the kinds of loot you can find from from the robots, but besides that it's all there.

>terrible setting nobody wants to play
>terrible system nobody wants to play
match made in heaven

if you hate this game so much why are you here?

You're not wrong, but you're still kinda making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a fun game with a meh story and a great setting. Since this is Veeky Forums, only that last part is important.

Because clearly this thread is purposeful viral marketing by the feminist anti-fa jew in order to destabilize masculinity and ensure the genocide of the white race.

Wandering around the internet looking for things to be upset about is a depressingly common hobby these days.

>fern gully
>great setting
lol you fuckin' retard

Shouldn't you be watching Sargon's or Shoe0nHead's latest videos and all of the other outrage-spewing machines that align with your political views?

Dude, Fern Gully is the shit. Plus there are aspects of Bionicle and Sand Still Stay Silent, which are also the shit.

there's literally an off color joke that SJWs would easily describe as homophobic.

There's a sidequest where a fat butch merchant woman asks you to find her husband and Aloy says: 'You? A husband?'

I dunno, the setting's pretty dumb too. It's pretty, that's about it.

I mean, it's literally just the setting from Numenera with fewer nanomachine clouds for instant 'magic' effects. And people have been shitting all over that. Why are there still new robots being built to function as weird elephants? Why does everyone venerate and worship these things when there are people like Aloy who can go in and get the right equipment to scan and understand things and have the right mindset for hacking and systems use.

It's like 40k without the grim-ness as far as technology goes. Only magic bows that destroy metal instead of chainswords.

>assblasted virtue signalling retard tries his best

You'd actually know if you did the slightest bit of research.

It is like Numenera, yes, but a lot more down-to-earth and easier to wrap your head around. It also has a much more primitive feel than Numenera.

Also, all of that stuff actually is explained. Oh boy is it explained.

>Horizon Zero Dawn is this year's Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
I really hope you're wrong.

I'm sorry man, my idyllic life doesn't let me get upset at real stuff I can interact with and it's hard to keep caring for the starving kids in africa because they just keep making more.

>Verizon: Numale Dong is exactly like Nu Men Era

You heard it here first

Yeah, let's go and play manly games for true men, like D&D and Pathfinder.

you just want to talk about eating penis

don't hide it you dirty minx

They're exactly alike, just like how SAO and Log Horizon
I.E. one of them's good/okay and the other one's utter shit.

I personally just can't gel with Numenera. It's too anachronistic. I find it much easier to imagine being a tribal worshiping giant robo-dinosaurs than being... anyone having to deal with a bizarre world filled with transdimensional, time-warping and psychic phenomena all at once, with the weird explanation of "it was all caused by technology in the distant past but now it's magic okay."

This feels more believable and I'd be able to suspend my disbelief a little easier, rather than deal with the mishmash of clashing sci-fi themes that makes up Numenera.

Numale Era sucks ass but that doesn't mean that chipmunk face: zero quality is better. What a fucking piece of shit

It's a sad day when some people will shit on a game with robot dinosaurs. I mean, come on, what happened to your inner child?

It's more like Horizon just puts everything into focus because you can see it. That's Numenera's greatest failing - They didn't put things into good enough context.

Just add in magic on top of Horizon and it's basically the same setting, there's more robot dinosaurs but there's no reason that Numenera can't be all about robitt creatures like that because it's so schizophrenic with the tech. The Goddess and Demon AI's that are feuding for stupid reasons is straight out of Numenera, and the tribal people's "We don't know what it is so we worship it and sometimes it works out for us" as well.

if you have nothing positive to contribute would you kindly fuck off?

it got dragged out and shot by cynicism and bitterness

Don't reply user, trolls feed on any attention, good or bad.

am i the only one who wasnt interested in this from the get go?

>You have to leave if you don't agree with me
WOW it's as if you really are a numale parasite

I can't comprehend having that little to do in life

Nonetheless, my issue with Numenera is that it's so schizophrenic and it doesn't convincingly feel like magic. My experience with Numenera has just left me frustrated because everyone seems fully aware that what they're using is technology but they just don't understand it. It loses the appeal of primitive thinking and just enters the domain of willful ignorance. It doesn't feel fantastical and wonderful at all. It's just a melting pot of sci-fi junk that doesn't know what it wants to do with itself.

Adding any more complexity to Horizon would ruin it, I think. If you want to add magic, just have Focuses be a little more common, require a great deal of specialization rather than ease of use and give them more versatility when it comes to interfacing with the remains of the Metal World. Hell, Sylens is pretty much your stereotypical wizard with no clue about right or wrong.

Of course not, the game is an obvious pile of shit with an utterly retarded premise

got anything constructive?

I could save you 3 hours by suggesting you not play this bad playstation game

>ITT: Veeky Forums just can't stop taking the bait

I can't help myself, it gets boring while waiting for the mods to wake up and purge the thread of our unfriendly neighborhood /v/irgin.

>everyone who disagrees with me is part of a negative subgroup because I can't rationalize being disagreed with

kek numales never change

Note: in this whole thread, he hasn't actually _denied_ the fact that he's /v/ trash.

You can't always trust in the mods, and you shouldn't rely on them. Avoid replies, ignore and hide their posts, focus on actual constructive discussion instead.

For instance, while I like the ideas expressed in this thread, of using locational damage and called shots, I don't think it's a perfect solution for replicating the tactical, precise combat of Horizon.

If you're always rolling called shots, in most systems that means you'll be taking heavy penalties to aim and missing most of the time, which is no fun, and your 'precision' effectively just becomes your ability to roll dice.

I feel like a different combat paradigm would work better, instead of trying to represent nitty gritty details look for a broader approach of how to value precision, planning and forethought in an RPG combat system.

>hey guys want to talk about a video game on Veeky Forums
>anyone who doesn't like this video game is from /v/

Being this numale must be terrible

there still would need to be rules in place for shooting off weapons to use against them

>maybe if I reply to my own posts someone will believe that I'm having a conversation and join in

>still no confirm/deny
so it IS bait!

Not focusing on discrete called shot rules doesn't mean you can't have that though.

I don't like FATE that much, it's too mechanically light for my tastes, but some of the principles it uses might apply here. Along with attacks let people take actions to create advantages/exploit vulnerabilities, with those actions giving mechanical bonuses to future actions other players can take.

While the GM might plan in advance a few specific status weaknesses or components that can be removed, the cool thing about an RPG is that people can be flexible.

Hmm... The knowing your enemy side is tricky though, since in RPGs fighting the same enemy repeatedly isn't fun. I guess it could apply to classes of enemies? The GM might slightly change things up every fight to keep it original, but if you fight enemy x and exploit y weaknesses, the GM declares if the same ones are present on a current enemy, giving you a place to start.

Checking for weaknesses could be another useful action you could take, aside from attacking.

so finding weak points could be more of a strait buff then a called shot thing

>numale ps4 game
>numale posters
>immediately go full fatefag
people of color me surprised

Something like that, yeah. Legends of the Wulin also has some ideas that could be appropriate, although it's the wrong type of system overall.

In addition to attacks and defences with your primary combat stats, you can also create Disrupts and Disorients, debuffs you inflict with skills rather than stats.

I could see the same approach working well. Combat stats/skills are mostly what you expect, but while you can debuff/expose weakness/take advantage etc with your primary combat stuff, using a skill to do so might actually have advantages or get better results. And promoting creative skill application is always a plus, it feels good to figure out how to leverage your characters capabilities in fun and interesting ways.

I don't see why you can't just treat them as separate targets instead of as called shots.

Penalties to called shots work on the assumption that you're targeting vitals to specifically to cause a separate effect instead of normal battle damage, like attempting to blind by attacking an eye, or attacking the limbs to disable.

Since the robots don't have vitals in the same sense that organics do, instead being able to damage hardware, just treat each target area as small sub-enemies that you're dealing damage to. Allow players to study parts of defeated enemies to learn about and understand how their circuitry and structure work, so that they can attempt to target more vulnerable areas.

Alternatively, make combat less about targeting with bow and arrow, and more about trapping areas, ambush tactics, and exploiting static programming subroutines. Armour isn't something to be shot off while dodging charging dinos, it's what you lever off of its foundation with spears when the robot is partially stuck in a pitfall. Removed weapons don't become one-off tools to use in an upfront confrontation, they become the materials to build fortifications and more advanced traps.

How much practice do I need before I can bait that good?

I'm running Numenera these days and I know what you mean about the primitive feel. I made a point of explicitly at the campaign start dialing back the social development level to something more classical, say the Greek citystates, than the weird feudal pastiche they've tried to force.

>he's still replying to himself a bunch
Just go away

See, that's my problem with Horizon. It's completely obvious what the technology is, and the only character you really get into - The main girl Aloy - is also aware of it. She's aware that this is a door and that's a scanning technology and this is how you hacking and stuff, which imho was a mistake. Because you and the viewpoint character look into things with a scientific viewpoint, it makes everyone else just look like an idiot or a problem instead of making the tribesmen seem like they're in the presence of what must seem magical to them.

The annoying thing is that the devs actually brought this up in development, and said fairly frequently that they wanted to make the viewpoint of Aloy and the other tribesmen differ drastically from our viewpoint, in that the people in-universe should treat all of the robots and technologies as if they were naturally occurring animals and phenomena, only with more weapons and different behavior patterns.

Then they dropped the ball that they announced to everyone that they'd be picking up.

I mean, from my experience of the game this is how the tribesmen do treat them, for the most part?

The only people who don't are those chosen by the 'Gods', directly gifted with ancient and lost knowledge to see things differently. It all fit together pretty nicely to me.

I love how I only have a basic understanding of the main plot, but know most of this is either exaggerated or completely made up:
>devil AI doesn't even have a humanoid form, let alone gender or race
>"let me filter out every male character except the main villain subordinate and the CEO from the past and pretend this is true" "oh let's also ignore all the female characters who are also stupid and WORSHIP A DOOR AS A GOD(DESS)"
>one scientist in a team of many

At least complain about that horribly written in-universe news articles, bad animations, flawed character design, uninspired game design, or something that's actually a problem with the game instead of making shit up to get angry about.

The problem is that the viewpoint character is one of those chosen.

Think about the Assassin's Creed games. In reality, most of the doctors back in Renaissance Italy were retards peddling shit that would kill you quicker than the disease they were attempting to treat. However, because the viewpoint character trusts their judgement and believes they're competent, they appear to be competent to the player, until you overhear them talking about their new lead and mercury mixture.

If a modern doctor were the viewpoint character instead, the player would probably end up with a very dim view of renaissance medicine after some chucklefuck in a plague mask attempts bloodletting on a patient who was anemic or plops some leeches on a guy who was poisoned.

It's pretty similar here. Aloy is gifted with the lost knowledge while everyone else is still a primitive, and as a result it appears to the player that the other tribesmen are all retards, because the player's perspective of the society is out-of-whack from what's 'normal', filtered through the lens of Aloy being mentally not too dissimilar to someone in modern times.

HZD rings like a dimestore YA novel to me.
You've got an emphasis on worldbuilding, the main pride of those kind of novelists and where most of their passion goes, and story that is strung together from tropes that appeal to teenagers. The main protagonist is hypercompetent and special somehow from birth, her main challenge in life is having to deal with ignorant adults that care too much about rules and she's too different from other people her age to make a connection. These things have been used for ages for akward teens to identify with fantasy and scifi protagonists and give them endorfin shots every time they do something cool.
I'm surprised Aloy hasn't been made out for a Mary Sue yet, although I guess video game protagonists are 'supposed' to be winning at everything they do.

It just sucks ass, no need to overthink it so much.

"What if we made a copy of that new tomb raider but then we put in some robots from michael bay's transformers but the twist is that they are shaped like wildlife and since they are wildlife then you gotta hunt them with a bow because bows were in the new tomb raider but since they are robots you can also hack them with your bow because it's a hacking bow"

>he's mad that the "inspiration" for this shitty game is so obvious

Don't play bad games and you won't keep having this problem

Also

>the co-protagonists are a mysterious post apoc scientist who discovered HADES and a valiant black guy who's the son of a black female war-chief

Funny thing though there's no mention of the black son's father :^)

don't you have anything better to do?

Are you really surprised that white women (and the "men" that think like them) are the most blatant unironic racists on the planet?

Whatever kiked-the-fuck-up "man" or woman wrote this trash blatantly wrote is as a self-insert power fantasy too.

"sure there's big black powerful female AI who was designed to fix the whole planet that EVIL WHITE MEN messed up but she needs MY help to do it and while i'm helping her I'm going to prove that I'm better than every single MALE I meet along the way!"

I'd be surprised if an actual woman wrote this, that really reeks of an insanely beta male autogynephile anthony burch grade cuck who's furiously jacking off to the thought of a woman who proves how heroic she is by being barely competent in the face of adversity

I actually wouldn't know how to run that kind of social development? How are people treated from other places? Are there still large cosmopolitan locations where many people of different city-states come?

>maybe if I reply to my own post people will think I'm having a conversation

But then again, maybe not, right? :^)

Like that cuck in-game, called ''Sticher'' or something who's all starry-eyed for the Stronk powerful woeman protag but too irrelevant to even find his place in the wiki.

I wish I had that webm of the kid asking that my little pony doll to have sex with him and then crying as he gets rejected by it

Are you that fucking dense? I just got here, don't give a shit about Veeky Forums's opinion on a game, because like much of Veeky Forums they're fucking wrong, or I can make my own informed decisions about something and not rely on total fucking strangers.

Perhaps my question suits a worldbuilding thread better, i'll go ask there and stop letting you masturbate over all the (You)'s you're getting.

>numale retard shits himself with rage over being caught samefagging for the thousandth time

Should have payed attention to the IP counter faggot.

>I posted on my phone now everyone who calls me out on samefagging is going to get rekt when I tell them to check the poster count

>he thinks phoneposting using the same wifi will change the IP and not count it on the IP tracker.