Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Like Fine Wine Edition

What was the oldest character (proportionally to their race) you've ever played? Have you ever thought about playing an older character, or maybe play with one?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW (embed)

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
PS: Avowed is getting big changes soon(ish).

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/familiar-feats/mauler-s-endurance-familiar/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title
youtu.be/TLgifvEK-VM?t=24m32s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What was the oldest character (proportionally to their race) you've ever played? Have you ever thought about playing an older character, or maybe play with one?
I played Granny "Grizzle" Griselda who was an 87 year old human woman. She was my witch when I played CotCT.

So PFG what is better for a familiar you plan to use in combat, figment or mauler?

One of my characters was Jianshi Li, a 600 year old granny kitsune that I never got to play because the game was cancelled

Mauler 100%. However the issue is what class you are and are you willing to take the toughness for mauler familiars feat?

It depends if you're a competent combatant on your own. If yes, mauler. If not, figment.

>mfw that spoiler

Middle-aged is as far as I go, my current Human Druid who I started playing at L8 is 41 and I think that's my oldest character for now. I'd just feel weird playing anything older other than maybe a high level Wizard later in the campaign.

How would toughness help the mauler familiar?
And the class is Magus, wanted to pick up something to help me in melee combat.

Mauler is a fucking trap option. They are worthless.

There is a familiar feat which is super toughness but just for the mauler.

Yeah if you build them incorrectly. There are very few familiar shapes that make good Maulers.

As a Eldritch Guardian fighter the Mauler is fine.

>I have never seen an Eldritch Guardian with a Mauler Familiar

>all the talk about what skills actually do make me realize I actually have no idea how the fuck to actually do an "animal person" as an Unchained Rogue
>just saw Handle Animal was a background skill and threw it in there

What the fuck can I actually even DO with Handle Animal and no access to Speak with Animals? How do I animal person?
making characters is hard

Which feat is that, do you have the name off hand?

Oldest would have to be a a 35-year-old Half-Elf.

Age penalties are pain.

Combat train some hounds if you're low level.

Handle Animal is your ability to train or maintain a doggo or kitty or big goofball horse-thing. You don't need Speak to Animals for the same reason you don't need Create Food if you have Craft (Bread.)

d20pfsrd.com/feats/familiar-feats/mauler-s-endurance-familiar/

Review user here, just taking a little break

>There is a familiar feat which is super toughness but just for the mauler.
So if I took this feat, and my familiar took toughness for its feat, would it get half my HP+3 per level?

Technically you're not supposed to trade out your familiar's feat, but yeah.

Avowed doesn't have any major changes planned. Anyone playing one should not expect to have their build turned upside down, as all we've got on the table at present are adding more items and pacts. Maybe more feats. If we DO plan to revamp stuff, we'll let you know, but the Avowed in its current state is going to stay that way for a while so it can be tested.

So, yeah, PLEASE playtest away without fear (and if possible, removing that line about big changes from the next OP would be really great? We don't want people thinking we're pulling the rug out from under players again.)

What time is it? Time for my daily shilling of my E8 Noiralog/Eberron with Spelljammer ships game, of course!

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title

So even with the silly pile of hp, how do you keep it from dieing? It seems like the lack of armor for it could be an issue, and putting armor on it will lower its ab/skills.

I have and that thing was dying pretty much every other week and at best was a distraction for enemies. It was not contributing to combat in any meaningful way.

By being a Fighter.

So in other words, I should not do it with a Magus.
So with Magus should I take a familiar? None of the other low level arcana really look good to me.

Again, if it was built like shit. Properly build an Eldritch Guardian Mauler will do fine, somewhere on par with an Animal Companion.

Sorry bud, your game is while I'm at work.

Ask your GM if you can give it Prescient Dodger.

Yea but what if I like, walk up to a stray cat or a wild beast and try to get it to play nice? Hell, if I DO get speak with animals somehow, am I still fucked because >no wild empathy?

Reviewanon are you going to do CotLT characters (even though the party's mostly been chosen already)?

Wild Empathy is just a bonus to the skill.
Seriously, it's Diplomacy for animals, plus training them to do tricks.

You roll Handle Animal. Jesus, does your character fucking die of thirst because a cleric isn't around to cast create water for them instead of going to a fucking river?

>Wild Empathy is just a bonus to the skill
Except the opposite is true. Wild Empathy is d20+level+cha with no way of increasing it, and it allows you to improve the attitude of hostile animals.

Yeah I fucked that up. Still, having the skill and not WEmp is fine. Just train animals to do what you want.

Is there a trait that's like Heirloom Weapon, but for armour?

Better to do HV characters instead.

I never bothered with the skill before, so what exactly it does is a fucking mystery to me because it all just seems to be about domestic animals. This retarded game is so riddled with magical bullshit that I just kind of assumed that Handle Animal didn't actually cover everything.

>TFW Reviewanon rolled your character to do next, but is now taking a break.

>tfw that means your character was so bad, that it made him want to stop immediately and go do literally ANYTHING else.
Whoa user. I'm sorry you had to learn this way.

Armor Expert?

What if it was so good he needed time to go jerk off?

You'll have more success once the Dragons 2 hype dies down.

No. It's not what I'm looking for.

>tfw this game sounds really fucking cool
>tfw it's going on while I'm at work
I wish I was a NEET

If you're looking for free proficiency/a free suit of armor, remember that Heirloom Weapon got nerfed into the fucking ground.

>Whoa user. I'm sorry you had to learn this way.

I mean, at least I learned it now; before getting my hopes up.

I was mainly look for the free proficiency. I guess I'll just have to settle.

You can always just dip a level of fighter.

>DHB posts HV app
>read it
I don't know about this desu senpai

Kiss ass to the current players so they hiss at his app to the DM.

I want him to do mine! DO ME!

I'll do you user.

:^)

Is the SRD going tits up for anyone else?

I actually really like his app that's why I'm nervous.

Were you there the time a reviewer went on for 5 minutes about Jolly giving the Spiked Chain reach and adjacent, saying it was destroying the credibility of 3p publishers?

youtu.be/TLgifvEK-VM?t=24m32s

>fatass with thinning hair
Not off to a great start

You mean giving options that makes a weapon actually useful? Because we can't have EWP be an actual worthwhile fucking feat?

>spring attack + trip is broken

>tfw you still haven't been rolled and yet all this feedback on others is super useful for your own application

Have you taken the one that gives you Int to attack? Because let me tell you from personal experience, 3/4ths BAB like the Magus need all the help they can get in that regard.

There's changes coming though right? Like individual shape changes and adjustments, that sort of thing?

I can understand if you mean there's no major mechanical revamps of the class as a whole though for a while?

So show of hands, who else went back and added names to all their ancillary NPCs?

believe in yourself

>not saving the filename too
COME ON user! The filename is 90% of the joke of that gif!

I added a name to the captain in Rory's story.

Honestly I'm one of the players and I don't intend to have any input on who gets picked

I'm just watching. Its fun not having to stress.

I haven't even been reviewed by Reviewanon yet and I've been trying to flesh out as much as I can.

Tell us what you think of his app, spill the beans.

I went back and added some people, but it was actually based on SE's feedback. I'm sure user will appreciate the names though

That's not even a feat. It's a vigilante talent from Villains, Chain Lasher. Proficiency, and can attack both reach and adjacent . At 10 you get a +2 to hit and damage with them.

Same here. I'm explicitly concerned with trying to make my guy a team-player without stepping into others' roles.

I don't plan to add names, but I do need to dramatically alter my character's backstory.

>DM drops on you out of nowhere that the players will pick who they want to play with
My DM did that to me once.

We already did the shape changes. Channel and Rounds got thoroughly reworked, we added the Area tag which adds your charisma to damage rolls, Wrath and Blast have been changed to be more distinct... like, we've already DONE the shape rework. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

DHBs? I like that he is just a petty piece of shit. Its an interesting variety of evil.

>ancillary NPCs
Don't have any. If you're trying to enter an established plot where there's already a game with pre-established players, isn't trying to shoehorn in more NPCs going to just make it harder on the DM, rather than easier?

There's no major mechanical revamps planned, and right now, we're hoping that there will be minimal small changes as well. There's unlike to be anything like the last few changes to Aether Channel, or similar, though.

I didn't need to, I only have one ancillary NPC and he was named.

I asked the DM for advice on my character and he stated that I needed to flesh out the people in my backstory more. Needless to say, I'm doing that.

I have to agree that I really like his brand of evil. His entire thing is destroying and replacing things important to others, but he kept a tea set from when he was a kid. Also his personality section is interesting.

Also his backstory reads really nicely and actually makes sense as to why he is only level 3 at his age. He actively avoided combat of any kind for his entire life and spent decades inactive.

I was just going to do arcane archer with a firearm, which seems to fix that problem on its own.

LAZY ELVES.

Man, half of the apps right now are some kind of elf. Fucking bizarre.

Which ones actually make use of their elven heritage and which ones wouldn't change if you switched races?

Then take the one that gives you extra damage for a pool point, it stacks with spell damage and you're going to need it as a gunman.

I think it would be great to play a character with a few kids under her belt.

Sometimes literally

>At the age of 100 Talathel realized he held the only copy of a series of journals written by a man who considered him a dear friend. They described a harrowing journey through the Land of the Linnorm Kings and detailed out complicated etiquette and customs, information one hardly saw in Chelish lands, so far from the ice and cold. Talathel burned them. Afterwards he laughed until he was nearly ill.
Holy shit, what a piece of shit.

I played a huge bearded warrior with a ton of stories to tell about battles against bandits.

But that's a bad example, he was barely into his 20s and had just been killing since he was 10 like any good Norseman. Shocked the whole party when they found out his new wife was half again as old as him.

Aether Circus. It's still pretty much unchanged.

It's still only once a round so if they moved around a few times and only now do some reach it, your other actions were wasted - *AND THEN* they also get to dodge it proper

It's still Reflex-None and low damage, with the extra addition of ALSO REFLEX-HALF on a hit if you buy the fourth purchase, including for the primary target. So whoever you fired it at, should you buy it a fourth time, gets, in exchange for it now doing splash, a reflex save to not get hit and send the missile wasted downrange (possibly back at your party), AND a reflex save for half or no damage(evasion) should they fail their save and take the hit.

Those are two fairly clunky things; and 8 targets is sure to be seen as way too much at level 1~3, while the 1 missile limitation, triple defense dip (you can outmove them easily, dodge and cancel their tracking, or simply reflex-half/evasion them after the former two fail if they do hit) with 'just' 8-targets are both too little by the time you're level 10+. It has no special feats or combos either despite being quite clunky.

Honestly I was going to go with wand wielder so I can just use wands for combat and use my spell slots for other things.

One is a placeholder but I think all of them are fine otherwise. Two are half-elves though so they have an easy time.

None of that Aasimar but it doesn't mean anything shit here that always happens.

There's probably saves other than reflex to be found in one of the shapes I'd imagine though? all-reflex would be really sad if you had to fight anything rogue-like

We'll look at this. Specifically, the first Avowed set of options, Promises of Power, is unlikely to change. Things in Avowed 2 are a far more active, still growing playtest, and we'll be revising them as needed.

But right now, we're looking to finalize the Avowed 1 playtest and get it released, once we get the issues solved.

We'll look at Aether Circus though. Thanks for your feedback.

Right he's just such a piece of garbage

Got several suggestions for fixing it up; if you wanna focus on Avowed 1 though, it can wait. Definitely does need a few changes though eventually!

I played a 96 year old druid. He died in the first session not of a heart attack as you would expect, but by a tree fucking falling on him.

Is he edgy?

A literally 10k+ year old Wraith.

So since DHB is all but confirmed, that means only one slot is open and there's already five people fighting for it.

eh, i wouldn't describe him as edgy

Just like.. Take the pettiest asshole in the universe. Thats him.