EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Salt Mine Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Threadly question
What's the saltiest reaction you've ever seen in a game and/or what play provoked it?

>What's the saltiest reaction you've ever seen in a game and/or what play provoked it?
Played Mana leak vs gare_bear from YouTube only to have him throw an autistic fit and quit the game

I had fun

Made a grimy little druggy leave the store because I put Darksteel Mutation on his Atraxa.

You have to be fucking kidding right?

Scooping before damage so that a sword of feast and famine wouldn't trigger. It's a perfectly valid play, but you would not believe the whining that followed. It was like I picked his deck up and threw it away. It kept him from winning and caused another player to win because he was banking on his lands untapping. I did it because he betrayed me in an earlier deal we had made. The other player also had had an opportunity to attack me, but he held to the agreement. I knew that I was losing, but I got to play the Kingmaker. He was a rat with no sense of honor and deserved his buttpain.

Not edh, but Return to Ravnica standard G/R aggro.

Burning-Tree Emissary x3 and Flinthoof Boar on turn 2 made people close to table flipping.

Nope, only true stories here.

is there any other mtgo edh players worth checking out

anyone else play try hard EDH decks? my playgroup is so cutthroat and I want a deck to wreck them with. is tazri a good idea?

i'm on edric right now

Had a sort of silent-salt story a while back when I was testing a new deck.
4 player game; Sigarda Equipment Voltron was having land shortage but LOTS of rocks so he was doing alright and still dealing out the pain etc.
Draw into Akroma's Vengeance, cast it, he's basically blown out of the water. Scoops quietly with a tip of the head and a "You got me lol" look on his face.
Next round I suspiciously found myself threat #1 for him. Was totally worth the play, though.

Nah fuck you dude. Subverting the rules of multiplayer is breaking the social contact you enter when you sit down to play.

>Playing Nekusar on campus today in 4-man EDH
>Get out Nekusar, Fate Unraveler, Howling Mine, Seizan, Kami of the Crescent Moon and Price of Knowledge
>Make Nekusar hexproof with Neurok Stealthsuit before anyone can do shit
>Mfw every turn opponents are adding up their damage

>What's the saltiest reaction you've ever seen in a game and/or what play provoked it?
I saved this from a while back because it made me laugh and I hope to pull it off one day

Yes
With varied levels of competition
Royal All used to put out good stuff idk if he is any more, but his back log is good
Cameron Sadler has a bunch of vintage level edh videos and some less competitive ones (he's moxnix on the salvation forums)
Keepflyin has a really good channel, more focused on 1v1 but helpful none the less.

I would stay away from gare_bear and jolt they are like Star city games (commander vs) tier but less entertaining.
The mtg goldfish guys are good too but the power level is about the same as Star city.

>playing lazav mill
>hit buddy's dragon mage with lazav out
>and sphinx's tutelage
>with a side of jace's erasure
>start the ol' mill express
>he's looking smug as Fuck thanks to a blight steel in his deck
>deck him with mill, hit blightsteel, repeat.
>it's to the point where he can't play anything, wheels keep wheeling and mill keeps milling
>but refuses to scoop because he "hadn't technically lost" despite being milled for his whole deck almost every turn
>eventually he starts making some big plays, gets me down to 5 life
>hardcasts blightsteel with haste, gloating like a motherfucker about how I'm such a dick and this is karma
>right before I play desertion
He flipped out, knocked all his cards off the table and started swearing like a bastard in a fully packed gamestore, eventually earning a lifetime ban. Never saw him again.

Are they playing actual competitive decks or just pubstompers?

If they're playing competitive decks then you might want to stop by the website which shall not be named. It has a subsection related to strictly competetive EDH. They can help you get your deck on a level it can compete or offer budget cEDH lists to you.
>try hard EDH decks
>I want a deck to wreck them with
user, I'm trying to help but you've betrayed that you don't actually want to have fun with your group, but that you would rather just try to mess up games. This isn't a healthy mindset. You're just going to waste time and money building a deck that can compete, but not one which can "wreck them."

His luck and have fun. And if you feel that your playgroup is being too cutthroat ask if they could play more casual decks.

Deciding to concede is perfectly fine. I was essentially dead. I don't want to play in a work where I have to stay in the game until the game rules say I'm out. I know when to concede if I'm beat and I will use this integral part of the game in a manner which suits me if available.

>I casted plagiarize after someone used greater good on a 20/20 creature
>mfw when he scoops in response

I don't mind though, many keks were had

>then the store clapped

ftfy

>this mad because friend dicks around with you over a casual card game

m a n c h i l d

Checked

Also, thats a huge dick move

Relatively garden variety, but cheating out Iona with Kaalia. The kicker was that every deck at the table included Black and only Skullbriar and I had their commanders out. Most of them didn't have kill outside their black component to dig for. The chorus of groans and "Really?!" "Seriously?" was pretty deafening for a moment.

>le tarzi food chain OP meme
Where did this come from?
all the lists I've seen it's just a 5 color goodstuff shell, with some expensive tutors for the one infinite combo it has.

What are your spiciest memes?

Then you're looking at the wrong list.

The point of Tazri Food Chain is that you can run every single 1-mana dork in the game (since 5 color) to combo off ASAP. It's literally built solely for that combo and protecting that combo.

Too bad it requires a second creature.

actual competitive decks. was saying try-hard as a joke lol. don't get me wrong i actually want to win.

IDC if people play as spikes or casuals and my playgroup and I are very spikey. We have fun crushing each other and making high-powered plays. I just feel like edric gets hated out easily because they've adapted to him which is why i'm thinking of switching to full on combo [or something with style].

just wanted to hear your thoughts on a good combo deck for edh, user.

also red eats is just another hivemind circlejerk with little original thought or opinions besides "which flavor of doomsday should i play?"

was wondering if it's as resilient as they say because i'll probably shell out big time for it

that basically what I said, That was a one trick pony?

From what I understand, if you know how to mull and pilot the deck right it can consistently win through disruption on turn 3.

MTGOrzo is some drunk white guy in China, though he hasn't uploaded in a while

When your "one trick" is "I consistently win on turn 3", you don't need more.

Because cards like Demonic Consultation and Plunge into Darkness are pretty broken when they read 1B: win the game.

A chain of acid turning into "destroy all non-creature permanents." That entire cycle can cause so much spite when cast at the right time.

Isn't he a fa/tg/uy?

>aggro players have an easier time in smaller games because there are less people to kill and less board wipes
>control players have an easier time in smaller games because they have less opponents they have to stop/slow down each turn
>combo players have an easier time in smaller games because there are less people to stop their combo

Is there something wrong with my reasoning? Am I retarded?

I shit you not playing this led to an hour and a half saltmine so deep I honestly am considering finding a new playgroup.

Aggro players have it easier because they can focus 100% on one player and pushing their threats through.

Combo players have it easier because there's less interference to fight through, and there's no risk of a 3v1 once their combo STARTS to build.

Control players have it harder because it's on them to stop everything aimed at them. Normally the aggro player would have to go wide, or would get some interference from the other players; no sane control player is going to try to answer every threat 1 for 1.

Threadly reminder:

104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game immediately. He or she loses the game.

Your retarded. It should read:
>consistent aggro wins small games quickly or takes forever to lose because everything takes too long to set up
>vintage-style combo always wins UNLESS the other player gets lucky
>control makes games take an unbearable amount of time and is not as strong. It's still viable, but it requires 1 for 1 answers, which is unlikely when Uril is swinging for the game t5 every game with protection

It's an all-in combo deck. It's retarded fast and some miserable autist at our LGS runs the $2000 build when there are shitters running around with angel tribal and volatile rig

Control is pretty bad in smaller games. I don't have enough answers to deal with everyone, so I have to politic my way to victory. Turn people against each other, point out bigger threats, etc. With 2-3 player games, this is basically impossible.

I think so. He used to shill his videos here

What's different between the 2000 dollar build and the normal one? Just more expensive tutors?

my playgroup did the you chose your starting hand once and so i just won on turn 1

Oh man, probably the time I made the Memnarch player screech about "unfair plays" involving an Obliterate and completely neutering his plan to take 4 extra turns and steal everyone's board state.

Based Slobad.

Timetwister and every dual, for starters

Someone cast Blasphemous act for R and just looked around with that happy grin on his face. Played pic and instead one-shot him out of the game. He was of course pissed as hell and bitched endlessly about how a 5 mana damage reflection spell is bullshit.

Drawing 2 lands, then a burnished hart and another land after an obliterate

Ouch. I've got all the duals, but I don't have a Timetwister.

(For reference, if I DID build FCT, it would specifically be to shut up people who feel high-and-mighty bringing a pubstomp deck to a casual table)

Except that would only stop 13 damage.

>13 damage to each creature

>15 different instances of damage are stopped by one "the NEXT TIME" prevention

Yeah. 13 damage times the number of creature it would hit, which is at least 8. So 104 damage minimum blasted straight to the face.

I think the "next time" is all the damage that Blasphemous Act would deal, since it happens simultaneously. Each creature doesn't line up single-file and take 13 damage

But it deals the damage all at the same time so how would you decide what damage is prevented where? If it was a Grapeshot I can see where you're coming from.

Unless the card has been eratta'd I don't think so.

>Damage isn't dealt to multiple victims simultaneously

That would be like saying you could only stop a gang blocked creature from hurting the first blocker it would normally punch out.

Blasphemous only causes only one instance of "Damage happens", it's not even separate instructions.

doesn't it count everything cus it deals damage simultaneously

It is not subverting rules, but very well within rules to concede at any time.

It's one instruction to deal damage, so it's one instance of damage-dealing, even if it's hitting a bunch of stuff. Reflect Damage will stop ALL of it, and huck it back at the Act controller.

This kills the red player.

hell yeah goodbye edric

Is it possible to build a Stax deck that secretly disguises itself as Group Hug?

Tutor up the Mine effects early, then maybe overload people on them with stuff like Forced Fruition and punish them for getting greedy and overextending off of free shit.

You're not wrong, you're just an asshole.

given that it's a legal play, the other guy would think you're an asshole for letting the crybaby hit you with SOFAF when you're about to lose anyway.

you never win when people take card games too seriously

I'm planning on building kaseto voltron. Other than standard green pump, what are some good win via commander damage cards available in simic?

You have to spend one night with your current most played Commander, Who u bangin

>Kalemne, disciple of iroas
I'm going spelunking.

Technically, half the wincons make you an asshole too.

Jhoira

>Titania

I'm assuming you're using kaseto to pump himself, so put in illusionist's bracers.

>Sen triplets

Oy yisssss

So you're saying someone is an asshole for NOT conceding to deny someone a triggered ability? Every group I've been in just acts like they'd get the trigger anyway when a crybaby like you rage scoops.

>Melek
uuuuh, send an ambulance

>Sliver Queen
Hey user I'm not so sure I like this idea maybe I sh-- ALL HAIL THE HIVE LONG MAY IT REIGN

The problem with card draw mill is that any decent player will have enough answers to counter act your shit.

A nekusar player got pissed at me for having so many counter spells, but failed to realize that he made me draw into all of them.

Numot the Destroyer

>Godo

Oh shit.

So, I've decided to build this guy because Madnath is too mainstream.
Please help with green token producers and/or uncommon ramp.
I think this guy plays more aggro than alphastriking.

it's a legal play you insensitive stop triggering people pls

>hidetsugu

Can someone explain this to me? i saw it on reddit and i dont get it..

Yeah, that's true. The idea is to keep everyone off my back until I can get a lock assembled in my hand, then poop it out and make everyone mad at me.

>Omnath, Locus of Rage
Does an angry mass of sentient mana have genitals?
I'm aware of this, but at least it makes me an honest asshole.

Why don't you ask them?

(You)

Make them draw a lot and play extra lands or group hug land ramp and then MLD when they have hit the 10 land mark.

Silumgar, the Drifting Death
(It's bad Dragon tribal with Xenograft and Conspiracy plus Control)

So, uhh, looks like I'm gonna die a withering death

If only she had a benis

post rare combos

>Playing my janky Treefolk tribal deck for the first time.
>Sapling of Colfenor as commander
>Spikey player going on about how he is going to win next turn. I sit to his right.
>Top deck pic related
>Putrify his only blocker
>Inatiate the slowest hard lock at 2 commander damage per turn never allowing more than one land out per player.
>Salt for days from everyone but ESPECIALLY salty from our spikey combo player.
>I think he is still mad

...what?

Mite b cool

He's shitposting with nonbos. It happens in here from time to time.

>my self rightious opinion allows me to break the rules while still talking down to others

>Geth
>Karn

Uh...
Either an egotistic lich head on a ohyrexian devastator or Karn.
I'd choose Karn, but he'd probably fuck up and destroy everything I've ever known due to a combination of him being unable to do anything right ever and Urza installing a nuclear dick.

God I hate that card.

>this in Ghave
>with a Cathar's Crusade on your field

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster

Pls user, your family misses you. go home

I think your missing out with not choosing geth user, I bet he gives great head[spoiler/]