/srg/ - Shadowrun General

...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Shadowlands BBS (Archive)...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files:
>Names in the Shadows - Who is who.edf
>I am Legend (Spinrad Ver.).trid
>Believe in yourself.pfix5
>The crew.jpeg

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: - (-% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Thank you for that save, I know it's a bit rash but I wanna be someone like you and really...'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Teacher Millions.BTL

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Inspiration edition
What inspires you chummer? What moves you through the shadows and what do you follow behind?
What are some great sources of inspiration when you need to get a feel of something in the setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pFzFMsfb9Q0
reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/2rhrlv/sr5priority_karma_values_and_sum_to_ten/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A. What contact stats would an organ grinder who you got off of the morgue slab to save from a few robbers have?
B. Does anyone care if I rip off the cool bits of shadowrun videogames?

>B. Does anyone care if I rip off the cool bits of shadowrun videogames?
Shadowrun is a setting built on ripping off things like fantasy, sci-fy, 80s, cyberpunk and more. So I wouldn't mind, as long as you don't put the same twists as the games since anyone that have experience from the games will see it coming.

>A. contact stats
You mean Connection and Loyalty? Wing it, and ask your GM if you need to buy a fixer or not. Just put whatever feels comfortable, just be warned that connection ratings 6+ might be hard to please and maintain.

Book on San Fran just came out.

you ban-dodging fuck

What makes a corporate sin so bad that it is worth more than behaving like leeroy fucking jenkins? I thought that being a disgraced executive or security guy is a widespread archetype. Will everyone in the shadows go after them?

A corporate SIN is bad because you're effectively known by a corporation, they have everything you've ever done, been or said and they will use it against you or your team.

Also if you still have a SIN you are a corporate citizen, you pay taxes and your are technically the property of your parent corp, which is bad if you want to run around doing illegal shit.

Being a disgraced executive is a different thing, you can be that withouth a SIN and with Records on File, that makes more sense and is also less problematic on your team.

I actually played a runner who was a plant and sold copies of everything they stole to their parent corp. Always wore a mask, never took it off.

Final session with them was a high speed chase into a corporate enclave, where they revealed who they were in part and helped smuggle the party out of trouble until the heat died down; unfortunately, they had to retire or risk their info becoming public.

A double agent doesn't always have to fuck the party over.

youtube.com/watch?v=pFzFMsfb9Q0

One four man team of street level runners getting caught up in heavy events while battling their deadly drug addictions.

Hah, the next SR game I run is actually going to be a street-level Mega-City One ghetto-like zone.

>Dunkelzahn
Wah he a Kazah or Uzbek?

???
Maybe he just has germanic roots

what advice would you have for someone planning on running a shadow run game with little experience with the system.
I played one session in which my character got caught trying to snoop around a warehouse as a mage, got caught and failed at running.

Food Fight/On The Run are good introductions to the system and game style.

Can you detect initiation by assensing, without depending on the MAG?
Basically, can you see a difference between a mage with MAG 6 and a mage with MAG 6 + Initiation?

You need 4 successes for the exact magic attribute of the subject - so if their magic was high nough you could positively identify a magic initiation by inference.

>if their magic was high nough you could positively identify a magic initiation
chummer, READ
>without depending on the MAG
I'm asking whether or not you can see a difference between a person with MAG 6 and a person with MAG 6 but also an initiation (who maybe started at a lower mag, or just hasn't raised it above 6)

what do you guy's do with your rape vans? My guy uses it when he's corpse legging part time for ghoul chow.

IIRC, you have to be initiated yourself and have the initiate power of super assessing to get THAT precise a read. Though, desu I stopped at 4th ed.

Mobile apartment/ hacker base, when the cash flow is good upgrade it with a weapon mount and an SK program to shoot motherfukers.

Can't leave a trap at my safehouse if my safehouse never parks in the same sqaure kilometer. Will eventually have to move to a new city though....

It would have been neat if RV's and Campers were included in rigger 5.0. I mean the actual cheap RV's and Campers, not the hundred thousand nuyen things.

That guy's friend here
Actually I tether my internet from my phone due to pricing reasons, phone has dynamic IP, and gookmoot just drops a rangeban on anything that is not a static IP including VPNs

Was asking because the situation with General Saito is never really explained, was going to play a character as somebody tengentially related to his regieme who is now suddenly a lose end that needs to be tied off and therefore suddenly SINless in Seattle on the run

How difficult would it be to translate some stuff from older editions to 5th? Never played previous editions so not sure how different they all are.

Stuff from 4e translates easily but anything older ranges from easy to fucked, depending on what it is.

Any mega share links with all shadowrun shit?

read the fucking OP

Have you considered checking the OP?

Is there any way to get Chummer to enforce a karma cap?
Accidentally went something like 20-30% over-budget thinking it had one

You are really pressuring me.
I decide to read the OP when I feel ready for it.

Just adjust shit back down?

4th or 5th Edition.

Tell me Cons and Pros.

take 5th

4th is some uncomplete unplayable shit.

Fifth is playable. Fourth has all the setting information.

You need both.

>4th edition:
Starts characters with a higher power level, hacking is less a dedicated role and accessible to anyone, for better or worse. It also has a more complete suite of fluff books.

>5th edition:
Balance is much better, but tends to favor magic slightly more. Default priority-gen is ass but alternatives exist. The layout of the books is generally poor, but it's also the most up to date and probably most common.

You should go with 5th.

>Fourth has all the setting information.
Third + Fourth + Fifth has all the setting information.

Without third, you're missing more than a few detailed descriptions on how things like metagenetics, simsense, etc work, in ways that later editions only skim over.

At least it's easier to port fluff into 5e than fix mechanics for 4e.

Is there any way to make using a bow viable? As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a way to attack multiple times in a round with a bow outside of additional initiative passes, and no way whatsoever to attack multiple targets in the same pass.

Houserules

If you're using a bow, you're explicitly choosing a non-automatic option, so suck it up. The bow's advantage isn't in speed but in abusing STR and AP.

Troll Archer adepts

Bows aren't completely awful, they're just remarkably inferior to firearms and require as much investment in STR as AGI to be viable. If you're okay with a naturally slow rate of fire and have the stronk to pull decent damage, they make an alright ranged alternative for STR-centric characters.

Are there any books that go into more detail about seattle gangs? I'm trying to find more information about the Trogs as part of my backstory

A GM might let you quick draw the Load & Fire Bow complex action, more so if you have the Rapid Draw adept power. From there you might be able to get permission for attacking two targets with multiple attacks.

Lets break it down, hm?

Shitty damage, shitty AP, meh range, potentially good accuracy, no real particularly useful ammo options, all the special rules regarding bows are shit, they can use Alchemy for arrows but alchemy is shit, they're silentish but there's not actually any mechanical way this is represented at all, you can't attack multiple targets, you can't fire multiple times, it's a massive action hog with no way to reduce this aside from MANY Rapid Draw allowing it to be quickdrawn and loaded+fired as a Free Action and then Perfect Time allowing you to put it back away as a free, there's no burst fire/full auto option, and it's just generally shit.

A basic assault rifle is doing 11P with -2 AP, boostable with ADPS to -8 AP, and if you fuck about with Handloads then it's 12P -8AP. No Str investment required, FA capable, all sorts of other benefits. It's not even remotely in the same ballpark.

>Most expensive race
>Worst spread of points
>Playing one of the least optimal options possible
Just take a character with max Infirm, Aged, and Borrowed Time.

Funnily enough, you're actually better off throwing items, because bows have an absolute cap of 10.

How to make a stranded like survival in Shadowrun.
You have to use sticks and shit to kill island boars.

Build shelter survive the Hurricane.

Until hyper fly fly mega high teck boat full of zombie pirates rescues the team and brings them to australia after they kill everyone.

Make sure nobody is a mage and there you go.

what's different with a mage?

Orc Archer adept is just as good and you get less shafted with metatype.

>Mage summons a spirit
>Asks the spirit to kill the wildlife for him, asks him to build shelter for him.
A mage bypasses all of the feeling of "stranded survivors" you seem to want to go for.

kek the cumming Hurrydurrycane us sorounded by a magic supressing wafe so the mage can't cast at all or with an extreme handycap.

Shiiiiiet solved easily.

That's called a background count and yes it could work, although unless you make it around 5-6 it won't stop the mage.

user did you forget how to talk all of a sudden.

>Your character does [Thing]
>Here's this persistent condition that makes you literally incapable of [Thing], despite that being the only thing you could do

So, /srg/, how do we fix bows?

Everyone is cut down because no weapon and highendsupertecknical engineering weapons.
The maga can use his overdeveopled hyper brain to invent little shits.

Also he maybe can use a little magic. MAYBE I said desu senpai.

Wouldn't the Rapid Fingers adept power logically allow you to nock another arrow as a free action? It barely solves any of the bows problems, I know, but it's a start.

So user, why should we want to fix bows?

We could fix alchemy, making bows an interesting ranged options for mages and shamans who want to play it "traditional". But having bows equal to firearms makes absolutely no sense from a universe perspective.

It's not about making them equal to firearms, it's about giving them a proper niche that they have.

If you have a Str 14 Troll who wants to be a piece of metahuman artillery firing entire logs at people, which to put it in perspective is something that'd let him literally pick up and THROW CARS, why should be just be outright worse than even a basic rifle? He's able to put more energy behind his shit, but nope, arbitrary cap.

>why should be just be outright worse than even a basic rifle? He's able to put more energy behind his shit, but nope, arbitrary cap.
It's DV:12P, AP:-4 at rating 10. Which compares to a basic rifle just fine. It doesn't compare to an assault cannon or high end sniper rifle with APDS.

To get specific, at Strength 10+ it compares to a Remington 950 just fine, and outperforms a Ruger 100 on everything but range, ammo choices, and fire rate.

It's not AP-4, it's AP-2, user. Rating divided by 4, with the max rating being 10, so the max is 2.

Also, that requires you to have Str 10, which is only achievable with either heavy augmentation or being a Troll.

That AR? Literally anyone can just pick it up and DO that. Zero problems. Works perfectly fine.

It doesn't compare, cuz the basic rifle can fire in full auto.

See

So what's the glue quality on the collector editions of the expansion books ? Is it as shit as main book ?

I'm asking because I have a chance to buy 5 of them for the price of 4 second hand so I'm considering it.

Yep, I should be asleep right now. That would make us both wrong, unless you have something to say otherwise.
>A NOTE ON ROUNDING
>Sometimes you’re going to have to divide some number or another, and sometimes that will require rounding. The general rule of thumb is to round up, unless a specific rule tells you to do otherwise.

I was thinking in comparison to assault rifles. 1 extra dv, but the assault rifle can fire in full auto, which means more net hits and thus more damage.

That Pic, My Sides, Meth really is a hell of a drug.

Are there any Memes here?
Like BTC?

It can fire in FA or BF, it can fire as a Simple Action, it can be fitted with more and better attachments, and it requires far, FAR less investment to be good at it.

What is your preferred alternative because life modules leave an assy taste in my brain

Karmagen with 900 starting Karma is pretty much the best way to make characters.

An arrow from a typical hunting bow can deal about as much precision damage as a 9mm bullet, minus internal trauma, breaking of bone, etc. 40 lbs of draw weight is about enough to kill game like small deer, and 50 lbs and up would be the typical choice for anything larger, up to moose and bear.

Ideally, since every point of Strength reflects 10 kg, or ~22 lbs of carry strength, each rating of bow reflects up to roughly 20 lbs of draw weight, to a point. 200 lb draw bows are unheard of in the modern world, so ideally it would be more like 15. 150 is about where bows historically cap out.

Bows should ideally do damage comparable to light and heavy pistols, with higher accuracy scaling with skill, damage being 7P on average, and AP scaling slightly on the rating of the bow.

The strength requirement needs to be rebuilt so it isn't a 1:1 Rating:Attribute deal.

The best option for all of this might actually be to do away with Rating entirely, and split bows into different tiers, similar to Hold-Outs, Light Pistols, and Heavy Pistols. Something like Shortbows, Longbows, and Greatbows.

There's a lot of variety in bows that isn't reflected by the "Bow, Accuracy 6, (Rating + 2)P, –(Rating / 4), Availability Rating" description we get. They're separated into Traditional and Compound, yes, but there are different varieties of each, and there could very well still be a market for them to cater to luddites, magical or otherwise, who don't want to use ballistic ranged weapons. That, or people who hunt critters for sport.

See, this guy gets it.

To be fair here, historically doesn't matter. Shadowrun is in a time period where plasteel is a thing, memory-metals are a thing, and we've made cybernetics actually possible.

Why the extra hundred karma?

*and AP scaling slightly HIGHER on the rating of the bow

Thanks, user! I was worried I was just blowing hot air.

Hah, yeah, true. It could be entirely feasible to make a 200 lb draw bow with plasteel and other fantasy shenanigan materials.

Maybe a big composite bow made with high-strength materials produced by Ares or someone, illegal on the street because it's actually designed to pack the punch to drive a length of metal into a concrete wall. We could definitely keep up with Shadowrun-brand absurdity with that sort of thing.

reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/2rhrlv/sr5priority_karma_values_and_sum_to_ten/

Basically, STT/Priority give you values a lot higher than 800 Karma, and the only way to get it to not do that is to purposefully make a terrible character.

To make them equal, 900/1000 Karma is about what you should use.

If you minmax sum-to-10 you can get the equivalent of 1050 karma. The 800 karma karmagen gives you is paltry in comparison.

I actually think im gonna stick with priority for now my players are all new some to rpgs in general so i think it will be easier to keep track of but i immediately disregarded STT because munchkins. i guess ill will go through and hit build some in all three to see how it breaksdown pen in hand. Yay projects. Thanks chummers

Don't know what happened to Saito specifically though Ares did spearhead the retaking of the Bay Area and won. JIS didn't want any thing to do with him and MCT is probably the big Japanese presence now. The aftermath of that whole mess is a huge loose end and a good starting point for background. Mind that the occupation wasnt too recent, your guy might be older. Not to mention Saito's forces were still JIS citizens in some capacity...

Karmagen but if you can't be assed Sum-To-Ten/Twelve (Run Faster) are perfectly fine, omae.

Burnout Adept with two full cyberarms at 9 str and agi using bows. Doable?

user.

Use your eyes.

Doable but suboptimal because you're not Maxing out the rating of the bow. Consider doing it as an Ork, Troll, Dwarf.

>Is there any way to get Chummer to enforce a karma cap?
Que?

My guess would be that it either throws up some immediate and visible warning as soon as you hit (assigned value)+Neg Qualities or not allow adding more once that's hit.

He's retarded, and he thinks it'll help him if Chummer just doesn't let him go over his alloted karma amount, rather than it displaying it properly and making you have to actually reduce shit.

>what advice would you have for someone planning on running a Shadowrun game with little experience with the system?

Get experience with the system.

Say I want to start a gang. Targets are few mouth breathers that have dared to hurt our face. I also have the backing of an organised crime boss.
How can a regular street sam maximize his odds of doing this? Beating them up is the easy part.

Do legwork and find out where all the important leaders and lieutenants in the gang live.
Proceed to kill them.

Good heavy pistol for a street sam as a backup weapon. Was looking at the warhawk, but wondering if savalette guardian would be better because burst fire

The General Saito situation was indeed explained in Sixth World Almanac.
After years of grassroots resistance by multiple parties (rebels, gangs, syndicate elements, local corps, shadowrunners, former CalFree police and military) eventually Saito was forced to leave after his occupation became too costly too continue, especially after Ares Macrotechnology began funding and organizing the resistance forces and he stopped getting support from Japan due to the political shift in the IJS.

Guardian is the 'default' choice of sidearm/pistol because of that delicious 8p and burstfire. Take it if you don't mind destroying your ammostock for more hits.

Identify what leverage the existing gangs have in the area, whether they are buying off/blackmailing, etc their rivals.
Find out how they are making their money.
Find out where they are getting their resources, ammo, food, etc.

Once you've done the legwork Blood Raven all their shit, then make it apparrent to everyone the old gang did business with that you are more professional/stronger.

You must be fun to play with.

Savalette Guardian is superior to every other pistol choice. Grab one and a Colt Agent Special as a backup weapon (they use the same ammo, simplifying logistics). Put both in concealed quick-draw holsters.

Then grab a Warhawk, give it the long barrel & customised look modifications, and wear it in a NON-concealed quick-draw holster as a distraction. Everyone will focus on your obvious hand-cannon and ignore your actual weapons.

Well, I'm actually in games, so...

....and?

And you replied.

...I uh...I guess I don't get it.
It's early in the morning for me.

:^)

>meh range
If you're a weak bitch

>no way whatsoever to attack multiple targets in the same pass.
Incendiary arrowheads. With a high-rating bow you can throw one of those over half a kilometer and get an area of effect damage. Next best thing to having rockets or an airstrike.