What is best for CONAN ROLEPLAY?

What is best for CONAN ROLEPLAY?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_sorcery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To realize that it's a terrible setting and decide not to roleplay it.

Is the setting really that bad?

What do you consider good settings?

It's whatever you make of it.
It's low magic, bronze age/iron age.
Some people just can't wrap their head around that.

When you say low magic, what exactly do you mean? Aren't Thot-Amon and Thulsa Doom really powerful sorccerers?

Why is it terrible?

Conan's setting is hawt, what objective evidence do you provide user-shitposter?!

It means Magic is uncommon and generally insanely powerful

Okay. Not to go off-topic, but what kind of magic level is it then, if magic is rare and not insanely powerful?

Still low, the first part is the important part, but from a world design standpoint why do people care about magic if it's hard to get but not that useful?

I actually prefer to refer to thing as high/low in terms of rarity, then high/low power to define how powerful it is.

That's not low magic, that's one of principles of the sword and sorcery genre

Sword and Sorcery is low magic.

Roll your dice before you, hear the lamentations of the GM.

>To drive NPC's before me, and hear the lamentation of the GM

To crush the NPC's, to roll your dice before you, the hear the lamentations of the GM.

Conan isn't sword and sorcery, it is a fictional mythology. The magic is the same as in greek myth where its the manifestations of the Gods and impossible to explain.

You're being pedantic and creating false dichotomies.

I'm partial to a D20 setting done with the OGL. The magic stays nice and true to the fluff, the classes are thematic, it's very viceral and the splats help bring your char to life.

Barbarians of Lemuria.

Didn't know those little guys were build for life of plunder.

no, I'm being accurate and clarifying what Howard envisioned. You are being flase if you wish to call Conan 'sword and sorcey'.

Riddle of Steel

>The magic is the same as in greek myth where its the manifestations of the Gods

The only time I can think of in the original Howard Conan stories where magic came from the gods was when Conan cast a spell sacred to Jhebbel Sag to protect him and some dude from a possessed animal thing that was hunting them in "Beyond the Black River". Jhebbel Sag took offense at that.

Yeah, Conan cast a spell.

Anyway, magic otherwise doesn't seem to have a divine source. Certainly Xaltotun was not divine in any way, and I can't see the Master of Yimsha as deigning to accept magic from something as paltry as a god.

What is best?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.

Conan literally defines the Sword & Sorcery genre. In fact the very name "Sword & Sorcery" was originally coined in order to describe Conan stories.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_and_sorcery

>All those fags talking shit about Conan setting

Most magic users in Conan are cultists or occasionally aliens or primordial creatures. In any case the parallels between greek or norse myth and Conan is pretty clear to see. There's plently of Babel and Atlantis references for a start.

You're feeding an obvious troll. Either get his number or stop.

Don't really give a fuck about what other author's called it, it's a fictional mythology. What it inspired is irrelevant.

thank you user, have a frozen dairy treat

Nah. Some people don't like that Conan is a world where all the real world analogues are really clear, but for me that's the charm. Howard was essentially using historical fantasy as a way of mixing historical periods and playing fast and loose with details while keeping the same flavor of whatever period he wanted. So you can be a 17th century pirate, go to ancient Egypt and fight a snake cult, and then hang out with some Vikings and pick a fight some Germanic barbarians if you want to.
If you're feeling /tumblr/, yes, there's a lot of sexist imagery, and yes, Howard was a social Darwinist racist, but none of that is fundamental to the setting in a meaningful way. Clash of cultures is important, but Conan befriends Afghanis, Vikings, Zulu sailors, and falls in love with a Jewish Pirate Queen over the course of his adventures.
Really, it's a very loose, freewheeling setting that's ripe for HIGH ADVENTURE, and anyone who doesn't like it clearly hates fun.
I hear good things about Barbarians of Lemuria, but haven't tried it. Some friends were homebrewing Conan for a while, we decided that the best system would be fast and loose, have a distinction between "Civilized" and "Barbarian", and have messy critical hit tables.
Have you tried the Conan boardgame by Monolith? I think it's rad, but rather pricey and the rulebook is a bit messy.

>Don't really give a fuck about what other author's called it, it's a fictional mythology.

Not according to Robert E. Howard. He just called them "yarns", for the most part. I don't think he ever tried to define what genre his Conan stories fit into.

Barbarians of Lemuria

kek'd at that pic