MAP THREAD

Teeg, I'm working on a little project but could use some feedback.
Do the rivers make sense?
Any comments on further developing the topography? Needs more hills in places right?
I'm also trying to figure out climate and vegetation zones, any neat ideas?

Also, map thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/products/btpy82tc?A-Magical-Society-Guide-to-Mapping
paizo.com/products/btpy7owm?A-Magical-Society-Ecology-and-Culture
paizo.com/products/btpy82rc?A-Magical-Medieval-Society-City-Guide
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If anyone has any requests, shoot.

Do you have more maps of continents?

>Do the rivers make sense?
For the most part. There should probably me one or more leading deeper into the central green part of the continent. That or a small-ish lake in there.

>topography
Seems alright and yeah some more hills here and there to split up river basins that mountains don't would work too.

you got it
Would a lake work that far inland? I'm thinking that whole region would be pretty arid.
I've always had trouble with hills but when you look at shit like pic related you start to wonder how rare flat meadows can be.

Got more like this? It is really good.

As in guide to climate and stuff? I have a few. They do help out a lot, but can be frustrating at the same time.

This one's pretty good too.

Me again. Do you have thing with loads of isalnds?

One of my own. That's about it I'm afraid.
Will have a look again after I'm done cooking.

Cheers. What program did you use to make it?

Not!Ireland

Not!India

I would highly recommend this book if you have questions about map making in fantasy worlds.

paizo.com/products/btpy82tc?A-Magical-Society-Guide-to-Mapping

And if you REALLY want to get in depth with things like culture and trade for your setting, that book is only a portion of a larger book, but this one actually has a price tag.
Well worth the money in my opinion.

paizo.com/products/btpy7owm?A-Magical-Society-Ecology-and-Culture

Looking at the the river the thing that comes to mind is that mountains tend to block clouds, so the mountain side facing the prevailing winds will get most of the rain fall, and more likely to form rivers, while the other side will tend to be more dry.
The way you have those mountains set up, it might work if the prevailing winds are blowing directly into that funnel like mountain range.
When considering mountain ranges and their role in forming rivers, I would suggest looking up how prevailing winds work.

I never realized that about Dinotopia

I can't remember. But did get it from Veeky Forums so it's bound to turn up again.
Literal map of Ireland though.
Neato. It's frightening to see how far the rabbit hole goes.
Valid points. The funnel is what I was going for, a gigantic cradle of life billowing forth a titanic river network.
What about it?

Concerning cities: what er some structures EVERY major settlement needs to function properly?

>Concerning cities: what er some structures EVERY major settlement needs to function properly?

Made by the same guys that did those other to books I mentioned, I now recommend this one.

paizo.com/products/btpy82rc?A-Magical-Medieval-Society-City-Guide

Like the first one, this is free to download, but a part of a much larger book that again, I highly recommend.

I swear I'm not some shill for that developer, I just really like how their content addresses world building.

GREETINGS FRIENDS, I BRING MAP

Please post maps with loads of islands, if you have any.

Two market districts and a merchant district?

>yfw you've been making maps for so long, you can recognise the real-world nations and coastlines that make up other people's maps

Rate my world map pls

>world map
>less detail than an English county

Not so bad, what's the scale? I would include some more hills and marshlands, it looks a bit too bleak.

Certain people in Devon would be very shocked if you told them that the world doesn't end beyond Somerset.

Needs more mountain ranges. Pretty good otherwise.

Pretty small, it's the "discovered" world map, meaning the actual world is probably way larger. Think ancient Greek maps of the Mediterranean, perhaps slightly larger or smaller.

I've seen that already and it hasn't become any less autistic since last I saw it.

Any tips for making a world map? Or should I just wing it with random geometric shapes and go from there?

I know nothing about the climate of your world, but the polar zones are laughably small. They would take up much of the map if this was in our world. It's the temperate zones that would be the smallest.

Load up some version of Civilization and let it have a go at it until you get something you like? There're free clones of the game you can use as well.

>Or should I just wing it with random geometric shapes and go from there?
Actually, works perfectly fine for me.

Nice one. What's the story?

Thoughts? I wasn't sure on how to distribute the climates.
The bigass forest in the NW corner is actually a magic portal to the fey dimension.

Also, how do you make a hex grid in PS?

Friendly suggestion for a fellow Salderan adept: avoid the "color burn>granite" bit, I'm pretty sure it's a typo.
Pic related.

You got me tinkering with it.
35% opacity, 40% scale did it for me.