EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Fucking with Combat Math Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Threadly question
Judge! Have you had a game stopped (or at least paused) by rules weirdness? What's the weirdest rules interaction that's come up at your table?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SME9DsqfoBI&list=PLGOb2o7l39HPcKvbtyRbgZs4qBlhHPpll
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Judge! Have you had a game stopped (or at least paused) by rules weirdness? What's the weirdest rules interaction that's come up at your table?
Split spells gaining cascade or Time Stop

The weirdest thing I have had to explain lately is copying epic spells.

>Judge! Have you had a game stopped (or at least paused) by rules weirdness? What's the weirdest rules interaction that's come up at your table?

Every now and then, usually caused by someone accidentally tripping over an interaction they hadn't thought of.

I had a game last week where we had a bit of trouble over Eye of the Storm, though the guy who played it had to leave early so the fun got cut short. We were putting a bunch of free spells on it to like Pacts to cut each other off and try to wrestle control of the stack, it was a good time.
shoutout if any of you guys are on here, you know who I am

I'm interested, tell me more please

>Epic spell copied by another player
The second player becomes Epic-locked, that one is easy

>Epic spell copied by the owner
BSOD.jpg

Please explain to me the results of copying an Epic.

I want to get in on the superfriends action, but I can't do it without red and blue. Should I go Grixis or RUG? Green has better walker support but black has great wraths and fun walkers like Bolas and Ral Zarek. Bant is probably the best tricolor for walkers but eh.

Also post your favorite walkers.

>Superfriends without Doubling Season

Complete suicide.

So, Epic does two things. It sets up a new rule that you can't cast spells anymore, and it creates a delayed "copy this spell except without Epic" trigger during each of your upkeeps from now on. If you were to cast an Epic spell and copy it before it resolves, that copy ALSO has Epic, so it would ALSO create the delayed trigger.

So if I cast Eternal Dominion, hold priority, and Twincast it, I get two "Search target opponent's library for an artifact/creature/enchantment/land and put it onto the battlefield under your control" triggers every upkeep.

its actually quite simple. If you copy the spell before the spell resolves you can have as many copies of the spell and its epic trigger on the stack.

Epic only prevents you from casting more spells, after the first epic spell resolves, you still have epic spells on the stack, and they can resolve as normal.

During your next upkeep you will get an individual epic trigger for each epic spell that resolved.

It is one of my win conditions with Riku. Cast Eternal dominion, copy with riku, and then copy it with twincast or whatever.

I know I know, but I want to try anyway.
Also I want to try to put one chandra in there, is there one that isn't terrible?

Honestly, I have a Bant Enchantress Superfriends deck and I cut Doubling Season from it.

Mostly because all it did was piss people off and make me feel like I was wrecking games.

>plays a shit casual deck
>doesn't even build it right
Please neck user. Favorite walker: either Tomato.

Torch of Defiance isn't bad, Firebrand will let you occasionally Twincast a Wheel or something, Flamecaller wheels.

>You will get an individual epic trigger for each epic spell that resolved.

I finally know the next meme deck I want to make. And it is beautiful.

Tomato is the biggest reason I can't give up blue. I already have a bant deck so I want to try something else

Great snake Mistake?

>Also I want to try to put one chandra in there, is there one that isn't terrible?
Pyromaster is a nice +0 bitch.

Go 4 color with Yidris, Kydele+Vial Smasher, or maybe Ludevic+Reyhan

That is basically my Riku.

Ramp with Riku, copy those ramps. Gain enough mana to hardcast eternal dominion, copy it as much as I can and then play my opponents decks until I win.

Last game I won taking an extra turn via someones time sieve, and then I stole sanguine blood combo from someone else and filigree angel.

You read my mind.
>Cast Epic Snek
>Copy Epic Snek
>Reliquary Tower out
>SNEKS ON LOCK

The Great Snake Mistake involves Hive Mind as well, though. It's a race to outsnake the opponent's snakes.

>Everybody's getting Snaked

Beautiful. I need to make this happen. Brb, buying cards now.

Race? What race?

>Bant Great Snake Mistake
Who's at the helm? I normally think of it as an UG deck with Kaseto, maybe Temur with Riku for Purph and Twincasts.

Spicy tech: Muraganda Petroglyphs + Aether Flash

What about Phelddagrif?
Grouphug turn into surprise groupslug

Should I trade away my Cabal Coffers that I don't need anymore? My spidey sense tells me that it's getting reprinted in Commander 2017

>great snake race
holy fucking shit what colors just blue green or are we going three color in this bitch.

UGX, I could honestly see good reasons for all options for X

>White
Soul Sisters

>Black
Grave Pact

>Red
Riku/Reverberate/pyrohemia

>a fellow Tomato loving nigger
There is just no reason to give up green. Just use Kydele and whatever other partner you want.

>Only foreign cars in my cube
>players ask what her ultimate does
>hand them the emblem

>tfw burning urge to build ADVENTURE.dec
>Tazri as general
>chock full of Allies, Traps and the Quest enchantments

It'll be so bad.

>Not altering your Tazri to have an Indiana Jones hat.

white with angus mackenzie or rubinia
>opponents sneks get fogged
>take their sneks

bant would probably be the best since you'd have all the tutor pieces but less red wait... WE HAVE 4 COLOR COMMANDERS O SHIT COPY IT ALL THE TIMES.

The only thing that matters is having fun

It won't be competitive Tazri but Allies are parasitic assholes like Slivers so it should be able to survive in some metas and having tutoring from Tazri and responses with traps sounds like fun.

I've got the general from prerelease pulls, so maybe I'll do just that with her...

List?

Just add cards like Twilight's Call and Living Death, and you will be good to go.

For sure. A pal of mine has a Tazri deck and we hate it because you basically have to wrath the board every few turns or keep throwing removal at him or he'll just continue going "I play a 2-drop. You all lose 8 life, I gain 8 life, I draw 8 cards, I make 8 mana, I do 8 damage, these creatures get +16/+0", etc.

It's not unbeatable, but it's like fighting roaches. You keep them dead or you die.

I know, but the small part of me that's a Spike wants it to at least be good and consistent, and not total jank.

Also my wallet weeps at the idea of a solid 5-color mana base

I'm pretty new to commander, so I'm not sure what things are generally considered dick moves for a "casual" commander setting. Basically, I want to make a Jhoira deck because playing timmy tribal sounds fun and she's my waifu but I'm not entirely sure if just seeing her and knowing that the fatties and board wipes are coming will make people just quit playing.

Depends on how you build her. If it's "ramp into Eldrazi Titans and boardwipes," you'll likely get laser-beam hated, but if it's just mondo fatties like sea monsters and dragons, you'll catch some hate but not as much.

Jhoira gets a lot of heat because of "Suspend fat, Apocalypse, GG?" is a very common, very nasty play for her. IF your playgroup comes in with a bias you'll have to distinct your deck as not being the cutthroat monstrosity she's known to provide via pain and loss. Or you could own it and build to take the instant game of impromptu Archenemy but that's probably less fun.

It depends on the wipes and the fatties. If you're cheating out Rimefeather Owl and Bogardan Hellkite after wiping the board with Blasphemous Act, nobody will hate you off the board unless you're playing with turboscrubs.

If you have Kozilek and Ulamog coming out off the back of an Obliterate, you will get hated off the board.

Guys, listen. Guys.
5 color snake mistake
>White for enchantment tutors, suture priest, soul sisters
>Blue for Hivemind and card draw
>Black for tutors, sac outlets, zulaport cutthroat and similar
>Red for copy effects
>Green for ramp and sneks.

It will be glorious.

>Shuffle deck like a retard for like 15 minutes because autism
>Try out drawing hands to see if it was well shuffled
>All practice hands seem decent enough, good ammounts of land distribution and shit
>Shuffle sightly
>Commence game
>Shittiest draws in the history, almost no lands, bricks all around

ITS NOT FUCKING FAIR

A man after my own heart. Slivers was my first 5-color baby Tazri was gonna be my next.
You could always be a cheap-ass like me and embrace the Shard/Wedge tri-tap-lands and the Guildgates + Mazes End ... be sure to include an Amulet of Vigor lol
The absolute madman I hope he goes through with it

What is confirmation bias?

Well, I play online because the local scene actually told me that my stock Breya precon was too powerful for the play group and I'd need to tone it down. If she's got such a negative reputation off the bat I guess I'll just look for a second waifu, thanks guys.

One guy in my group always plays counterspell tribal, and another guy likes to run a lot of discard effects. How do I fuck with both of them?

>Good land distribution
>Well shuffled
The point of shuffling your deck is not to evenly distribute your lands, it's to randomize your deck.

"Big clump of lands halfway down the deck" is a possible outcome of a proper randomization.

Karador? "Oh no, I guess that's another creature in my graveyard! Guess I'll just have to cast it again."

>My Phyrexian themed Tsabo deck almost finished
>Magic night is tomorrow.

Fun times ahead.

If a stock precon is too strong for your group, they are turboscrubs.

>he local scene actually told me that my stock Breya precon was too powerful
Man they straight-up suck. There's no way around it

Blue Braids
Sneak Attack
Show and Tell
Through the Breach
The suspend shit
Typical Blue and Red fatties
Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Gitaxian Probe, Counterspells, other assorted red/blue staples
Fun, cheap and easy to build.

>stock breya is too powerful
Oh damn son what the fuck are they doing?

Hence why I stopped playing with them and retreated to MTGO

Out of curiosity what do you want red for?

How do you feel about Intet or Maelstrom?

Listen to smart . Clumping is a natural, if undesirable outcome.

Specifically, your deck is supposed to be in a random order at the start of the game. The definition of this is that you should not be able to know where in a deck any given card is or how they're distributed. If you can reasonably expect your mana to NOT be clumped, it's just as poorly shuffled as if you can have a true and reasonable expectation of it being clumped. The only difference is that schemes to induce the first scenario, being in your favor, can be called cheating.

"The deck is arranged by type, then in alphabetical order" doesn't look like a random arrangement of cards, but it is exactly as likely as any other precise order. Are you likely to see it? Heck no. If you did shuffle and cut to that, would it be "not random"? Heck no.

In general, you are playing the averages: with a well-built deck and good mulligan strategy you should, more often than not, end up with a playable start. It won't be every time and you certainly aren't mulligan-proof. The Random can always happen to screw you today, but over enough games (and this will be a fairly large number, probably a couple hundred openings to get a meaningful sample) you can start to talk about expectations. Not in any given game.

The singular game I played against some people from the group they were using the red samurai girl for a samurai tribal, some esper commander that tapped to fog a creature, and Depala dwarves with no vehicles just dwarves. The tribals played some random jank commons every other turn and the esper guy literally sat there trying to broker alliances by offering to fog shit.

I have that Tazri deck and that analogy is so accurate.

> When I get out Blade of Selves

Sounds good, I like graveyard decks anyway

I'm planning on building Food Chain Tazri (which is way outside the normal range of our group) specifically for shutting up pubstomps who get too big for their britches, but I'm waiting until this guy moves because I don't want to muscle in on his Tazri-tory.

>Depala dwarves
Noble but sucky. Even with vehicles it's a struggle to have enough decent cards in a Depala deck without going off-theme.

This is how a guy in my playgroups Uyo deck wins.
absolutely filthy

>Implying orzhov Walkers isn't the best Walkers deck
Look at this pleb

>Kydele
>Not choosing the infinite coiling Oracle partner
Thrasios is the better of the two partners I'm honestly baffled at most people's inability to judge powerlevel

youtube.com/watch?v=SME9DsqfoBI&list=PLGOb2o7l39HPcKvbtyRbgZs4qBlhHPpll

>some esper commander that tapped to fog a creature
Sounds like Ith but I know he doesn't have black in his color identity

You still need to explain why having fun your particular way is superior than anyone else's.>The Great Snake Mistake
>not The Great Misnake

It rolls out of the tongue a lot funnier if you spell it all out.

Maybe he meant Bant/Angus?

Lady Evangela.

>Imperial Seal
Alright there moneybags

Doubling Season's upwards of $50.

Of course he's better. But many planeswalkers draw cards and she taps for more mana the more walkers you get. In most other control/combo/midrange lists Thrasios is heads and shoulders above. You don't have to be so condescending user.

And Imperial Seal is 500 fucking dollars.

2 bucks on modo

200$

You act like you can't just replace it with something slightly worse.

Snake Mistake would definitely run Decree of Pain.

Judge foil is $200

I stand corrected.

Elesh Norn you say?

>200 = 50

Masters / Vintage / Eternal sets were a godsend on modo because of lol infinite print volume

>less than half the price I quoted
>shit, I've been had.
>Time to make it look like they thought one sum of money was equal to another obviously different sum of money.

>50 =/= moneybags

I didn't realize the judge foils were cheaper.

That does not change the fact that "THIS OTHER CARD COSTS 50 DOLLARS" is a poor argument for "Holy shit, this looks expensive because this card costs 200 dollars"

How's Tasigur as a commander? I've got one lying around and am looking for a sultai commander.

I'm interested. Tell me more.

That doesn't change the argument that you can't just swap it with something else. We're taking about one of the most expensive archetypes in commander on a per-card basis. A deck running JTMS, Doubling season, mana crypt and an expensive mana base. If you can afford all that you can most likely afford seal. If you can't afford seal you've already most likely made cheaper slightly worse replacements of expensive cards and your critique of the list is moot.

Pretty good for getting value out of. Plays nicely with just about all BUG strategies. Hard control recommended.

Sounds awesome, thanks

Good control commander with an infinite colored mana win condition in the command zone. Better than Memeioplasm. Decent as reanimator and lands matter.

What do you want the deck to do?

Four mana is a lot of mana, consider Training Grounds and/or Illusionist's Bracers.

Check out my new asshole tech for Gay Kangs

>check out my new asshole
>illegible picture
Come back when you feel like being a productive member of society.

It's Ice Age. Even if that was a 2230x3100 picture it wouldn't convey the effect right.

At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Drought unless you pay {W}{W}.

Spells cost an additional "Sacrifice a Swamp" to cast for each black mana symbol in their mana costs.

Activated abilities cost an additional "Sacrifice a Swamp" to activate for each black mana symbol in their activation costs.

Blame wizards/gatherer for that particular image existing.

UG is my favorite color combo and I'm looking for a value train deck, basically. I've also been looking at Roon.

My friend has a Roon deck and it scares the hell out of me.