Good Cliché Thread 2: Trope Boogaloo

Carrying on from , because the ideas are comfy as fuck and it's nice to see Veeky Forums not shitting on everything for a change:

>Boss fight is nudged in the heroes' favour by a simple parlor trick
>Old abilities/skills/equipment that had fallen into disuse turn out to be critical in the upcoming fight.
>The BBEG is right to be defending the mcguffin with all his forces, because it /is/ a source of unspeakable evil or the like - but instead of playing the moral high ground, he just uses it as an excuse to attack outsiders

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/50327441/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>grizzled old veteran with a reputation looked up to by younger team members continually claims he's 'no hero'
>Is actually a hero all along

Maybe a bit off-topic which villain is this refering to? Seems like part of a pasta?

Low tier villain is completely and recklessly delusional, like he believes he's actually a dragon and when the party confronts him, he flings himself from his tower believing he will fly. He doesn't.

>restoring the rightful king to the throne leads to actual economic development and proper leadership

Mentioning the previous thread's questions about the Joker having ethics: the comic in question depicts the 1940s Joker, who was not the giggling rapist cop-killer from the 1980s onward. The 1940s joker was just a card-themed gang leader, and there were some heavily anti-fascist gangs in the forties.

>quirky villain or quirky villain squad, not quite the big bad but much more reocurring
>recurring quirky villain whose schemes always do nothing at all, backfire on him, or end up aiding the party
>recurring quirky villain who usually tries to defeat the party through aforementioned poorly-made schemes and traps but is actually a tought fight once it comes to blows
>recurring quirky villain secretly has a tragic backstory and/or might be secretly very lonely

It was brought up in the other thread, I think, but it's worth a re-mention.

>assassin or thug goes up against the heroes
>is promptly beaten, shocked and ashamed that his 'great power' was bested
>escapes death
>returns later with more training or upgrades more confident
>Is beaten again
>Goes back to training
>Might reappear several other times, he ends up joining the legions of the BBEG not because he agrees with what he's preaching, but because he is just legit obsessed with taking out his greatest opponents, and the BBEG is the best way to get to them
>Bonus points if this dude was just a regular guy at the beginning looking to earn fame and legit builds up a significant arsenal JUST to fight the PCs
>Bonuser points if he ends up joining the heroes' side

Oh, my bad. Just noticed your post after I posted It was referring to those Robbie Rotten memes from a few months back, him openly being a self-proclaimed villain, and how happy it made his actor and plenty of others.

>Villains buy superweapon from ACME
>There's a disclaimer on the side of the weapon freeing themselves from liability claims

>Villainous monologue when they think they've won
>Villain's hubris makes them fuck up
>Bad guy turns out to just be an evil guy, no secret moral highground
>Party's unique abilities actually all contribute to a fight

Team Rocket?

>side villain shows up
>wrecks shit
>protagonist tries to stop him but fails
>villain enjoyed it though
>next fight the villain gives tips or goes out of his ay to keep protagonist in the fight
>when he loses, villain reveals that he is old and as looking for one last hurrah
>thanks the protagonist for the fun

>bonus points if he helps out at a crucial moment later on and dies in the process, a smile on his face

thanks for the answer user

>the friend from old time, who reappeared at the beginning of the new adventure, is a traitor in league with the BBEG

I can't even remember the book, but there is a fantasy series about this evil lord who almost took over the world but his evip arny of orcs and ogres and shit were being finally beaten, so he kidnapped a princess and ran off with her. They became farmers. Then some other evil lord showed up many years later and he had to out-devil him. It was glorious.
Also, the book Goblin Corps is a fantastic read.
So I guess I love Evil main characters, imoral goodness, unassuming people who turn out to be massivly powerful, and probably some others I have forgotten.

>characters travel between two intersecting universes* and the more magical one has a consistent visual filter to look strange, such as faded colors, extra motion blur, or speckles everywhere

>*by that I mean they don't have much in common on a fundamental level, as opposed to parallel universes which are what-if branches of the same setting

>BBEG is actually a former/exiled/retired god (or equivalent levels of OPplsnerf)
>All of the rumours and quests that led the heroes to try and take him down were complete fabrication
>He just wanted a decent sparring match for the first time in a few millenia

>wizards all sit alone in their towers, barely caring about anything around them unless it provides use for their studies or interests

I'm no hero...
>Does something incredibly unheroic and everyone tells him to fuck off
Then when no one is looking he sacrifices himself all selflessly and shit

>"Evil races" (orcs, goblins, trolls, etc.) aren't inherently evil, they're pretty much just like everyone else.
>If they work for an evil villain, it's due to loyalty, fear, slavery, etc.
>When the evil villain gets defeated, they don't continue the fight, they just go off to do their own thing.

>goofy side character who can throw down with the best when he bothers to get serious
>hilariously evil aristocracy oppressing peasants beyond human limitations
>said peasants being freed from their oppression and continuing to scrape dirt all day because they know nothing else, leading to heroes realising theres more to the hero job than murderhoboing
>supersoldiers of any description, bonus points for supersoldiers who know no other life than being death incarnate

>bonus points for supersoldiers who know no other life than being death incarnate

This is my jam.

>Villain is misguided, with relatively good intentions for change, but poor execution
>The people they're trying to change don't want to change, and the villain doesn't understand why
>Downward spiral begins as they can't see what they're doing wrong

I got supersoldiers. They're naked warriors of a horseless farming people from the plains called Yrg. They are selected at birth to be Bull Yrg, and this is when the sacred tattoos are etched in the skin. Scares cover their whole bodies giving them access to special magic, mostly force magic.

Anyway, they can withstand any temperature (from freezing water to straight up fire) and operate with telekinetically enhanced strength. They run faster than any horse who ever lived, can leap over any wall and wield claymores so massive they can fell 14" trees in a single blow. It's neigh impossible to catch them unawares, but that's the only real way to do anything to them. They seem able to avoid any shots thrown and can catch arrows out of the air with their minds, throwing them back harder than most bows can.

To the Yrg, they are the Bull Yrg, ever protecting the Yrg (the name of the plains they inhabit). To everybody else, they're called Juggernauts, the reason you don't travel through the central plains of the continent. Wars are waged skirting the edge of the Yrg.

>the brooding and anti social edge lord actually just needs a hug
>the huge scary murdermachine is surprisingly good with children

>hero and villain must team up to defeat a mutual foe
>after the fight the hero is momentarily at the villain's mercy but he stays his hand
>"next time we meet I will destroy you"

A villainous character with selfish or villainous goals who nevertheless has a code of behavior he expects even his minions to adhere to and which he follows, even to his detriment, when pursuing his own goals. If he gives his word, he's good for it. If you turn your back, he won't stab it. If you accept terms of surrender, he'll abide by them. If a subordinate does something he considers dishonorable or immoral and escapes you, the next thing your party sees is a courier bearing a package containing said minion's severed hands by way of apology.

I love the idea of super soldiers as essentially combat autists. Like they're gods on the battlefield and accomplish impossible missions with ease, but as soon as they have to do anything else, they're so far over their head they may even need a handler.

>the autistic indivial in the group suddenly becomes incredibly valuable because she/he has animal friends/magical powers/savant-level intelligence

Or leaders who are so insulated and removed from normal everyday life they have no idea how to approach the opposite sex without spilling their spagetti

>Previous villains henchmen show up reformed

> BBEG's top lietenant is his best friend for life
Bonus points if lieutenant isnt actually evil but does what he's told out of friendship
Even more points if the death of the lieutenant causes a complete mood and MO shift un BBEG

They need to have no real concept of what they're fighting for other than that its all they've ever done to be my true jam. Especially if someone asks why they fight, and the soldier doesnt even comprehend that there's anything other than the conflict
Sounds kinda useful as a 'here be dragons' but unless players are on the same tier of power, they'll never learn much about them. Or maybe you have good players, something i've never experienced. or do you have no players?

>horseless farming people
>neigh impossible

>the character that has issues with their parents actually makes things up with their mother and father after either the character or the parents reform themselves
>the character never manages to make things up with their parents, but they have a foster-father or mother figure that sets them on the right path

Hey, did the Autism Marine thread ever get archived?

What? That's a thing? I need to read this, it sounds amazing.

>villains that respect the heroes
>heroes that respect the villains
>or just hard rivals that respect eachother
>eventually see eachother as friends while still trying to bring eachother down due to moral or personal reasons
There is just something I love about the rivalry as a friendship of its own sort

Found it. Not old enough to be up in the annals of legend, but it's pretty good funnies nontheless.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/50327441/

>bad shit happens
>heroes search for and accuse villain
>villain is just playing golf or shopping at the mall the whole time
It shows that even bad guys aren't plotting or brooding in their lairs 24/7

Holy fuck that's funny, and pretty much exactly what I mean. They have the absolute best of intentions, but since they're all genetically enhanced, brainwashed, superhuman killing machines, they don't really talk to regular humans much, and so don't really have a fucking clue how to interact with them. Though I do like the other extreme of them all being exaggerated humans in every way, especially the primarchs.

>Bad guy is British and smarter than the heroes

I have only had this happen in two campaigns and it was brilliant both times.