/WIP/ Work in Progress Thread

No Embeds, but dank WIP memes Edition

Post your most recent project and... GO!

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To start us off, does anyone have any ideas/images of good Cadre Fireblade kitbashes?

dank memes you shall have

another day a new pack

THIN YOUR PAINTS

what does he try to convey with that pose?

>xeons

Can someone post picture without text?

>retarded dog helm
Dropped

>No Embeds
>No nothing
>No Duncan

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
+++[OFFLINE - CONTACT YOUR LOCAL TECH-PRIEST]+++

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

to be fair they're magnetised

what new shit you reckon they'll launch 8th edition with?

That's a n acceptable tabletop standard model.

More work done on these lads.
Only got 'em at two colors right now and they're still blu-tacked together. Oh well, once I get the Leadbelcher on as my third color I'll have a nice tabletop standard!

Shitposting aside, the fucking Chaplain's arm won't stay on. Anyone else ever have their plastic glue just turn the whole site gummy? It's really annoying and I haven't figured out what causes it. The glue works fine most of the time, bu sometimes it just won't bond things and it just melts the whole contact site to gum.

scrape the gummy shit off, reglue and hold until it sets. Gummy means it didnt set right/completly

>WIP thread
Finally.

I've been working on my chapter's models for a bit now, making decent progress. I've only run into one issue so far- the chapter's Chaplains and Librarians are merged into a single position of Confessor. I'm just gonna run them as Librarians on the tabletop, but I'm looking at how to actually get that merged role across in the model without confusing people too badly. Right now I'm considering starting with a DA Interrogator Chaplain with symbols/etc filed off and both arms replaced, with a force stave and bolt pistol. That still seems very Chaplain-y to me, though, and if I'm running them as straight Librarians, well...

Any suggestions? All of my modeled force except one Techmarine is in Mk3 armor (I had Mk4 biker parts so I got the techmarine to match), so I'd like to stay a little consistent with that theme. FW pricing is no object.

Pay your models so we can get an idea of what you're going for.

>pay
I meant post your models.

inb4 the same guy that complained the first time I posted this complains again
I've only got the one completed/painted model right now, everything else is either in the mail or in varying states of assembly/priming. Shoulderpads here actually need to be repainted once I decide whether I want to keep them black or go to green. I'm going for a sort of "knight in shining armor" aesthetic with them; bright Leadbelcher with a lighter touch of Nuln than usual, gold trim, etc. Drawing from Celtic mythology a bit in chapter background, including Arthurian myth. Other aesthetic draws, more evident on incomplete models, are elements of Taghmata Mechanicum and other 30k artifacts, plus a small dose of metalworking in the rank names and the vehicles.

Yes, it probably looks like Iron Warriors; I'd say it looks a little closer to Mk3 Astral Claws.

>Pay your models so we can get an idea of what you're going for.
Sorry, I meant:
>post your models so we can laugh at them.

Kek, that's utter shit, barely tabletop minimum, strip and try again.
You fags really need to learn basic painting before trying to take on big boy projects.

someone with the ability ought to do some corresponding purity seal/stamp image

>completed/painted

that's at best a base coat.

If you wanted it done right, you should've done it. What a tabletop standard post.

GIVE ME A HUG!

How do I thin my paints properly? It ended up at 90% water and didn't stick to the model.

Believe it or not, it actually does have a wash on the Nuln parts, and this is after trying a Reikland Fleshshade wash on the gold and seeing it not look all that great. Highlights, still not great at without totally fucking up the model, so I haven't gone for them on this one yet, barring the sword.

Is it great, nah. Am I a great painter in the first place? Also nah.

Moar dank memes for the dank meme god

test it on the palette first. If it's disintegrating immediately you've gone too far.

Well i don't see it. At least wash around the bolts. And i'd go with agrax for the gold.

Progress of my rubric Marine, also nicknamed TOM by user.

That is a fine AF loincloth user

My personal favorite, even if it isnt wip related

You should make his head interchangable.

Fair enough. I'll end up redoing the wash before I go back and highlight.

Still, I'm not trying to make it about my paintjob, I posed a modeling question. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dodge criticism- I post here and not on the other 40k fora because y'all actually do criticize and not sugarcoat. But that model isn't what I'm looking for feedback on.

Why the fuck do you even need all that shit

Newfags don't even use it

Not my area but I'm with the other guy. Run before you can walk or learn the rules before you start breaking them.

Having said that, what about iconography from Celtic Christianity?

Don't use plastic glue you dumb hobbybabby?

>dumbasses posting about how much better plastic glue is
>OH NO I CANT REMOVE THIS PART FOR RE-USE
>OH NO I CANT BUILD NON PLASTIC MODELS
>OH NO THE GLUE WENT GUMMY

>No love

Im just pissy cuz i couldn't find the links and im a dirty phoneposter

Is there anything that can dissolve superglue without dissolving the plastic around it like acetone?

apparently it turns brittle if you freeze it

This

He looks kinda like he's asking for or about to give a hug

he got decent tabletop standard approved and can be happy with his lot

>apporved

Blending orange is a bitch. Adding depth to black skin sucks. Why did I choose this god damned color scheme. Oh well. Better than my old work and its the best I can do on the road.

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

It's been awhile and had to take a break from painting. But I got back working on my Baal Pred today and got the main gun done. All I need to do now is finish up the Marine using the mounted Storm Bolter and complete the Heavy Bolter Sponsons. Also no clue why it looks so dusty in the pic.

Oh hey dude. I remember giving you pointers and shit a few weeks ago. I know how it can feel for a model to inexplicably look dusty as shit, but ignoring that it looks pretty solid. Your work on the lenses is fucking top tier. It looks beat to fuck, so if that's what you're going for, you achieved it.

First attempt with an airbrush. This is much harder than I thought. I really don't understand how people achieve that crazy color depth. Also any tips for keeping the highlight from looking so powdery and dull? It was menoth white highlight at it's brightest.

Please ignore the mold lines, this was a free marine a shop owner gave me to practice the airbrush on.

Thanks a lot dude. It feels good hearing that but still have a ways to go. I want to fix up them lights, they look off. But I figured out why it looks dusty. I used a sponge to lightly press on some Burnt Umber and Leadbelcher for the chipping effect. Turns out the light reflected off the tiny dots of Leadbelcher and gave it that weird dust effect.

meme's

"I once sucked a dick thiiiiiiis big"

Makes sense. I had a similar problem with the interior of my chimera. It was a little more extreme since the interior was basecoated black. Would always do double-takes thinking I got white on it somehow.

I see what you mean on the lights. They're a little flat. Personally I haven't actually dealt with that style of light, so I'm not really sure what to say there, other than maybe try another sort of geming lens effect for each of the individual sections separated by the metal cage.

Beyond that my only criticism is that an off-white or grey color for the highlights on a solid red like that makes it look sort of... worn, to me. In the sense that the actual model is worn. It's probably just personal taste, since I know other people highlight in that sort of way.

I dry brushed the highlights with Kindleflame. I see what you mean about it looking off but it's cause of the really shitty lighting. I tried to take a better pic to show this. I really need to make my own light box and get a program to adjust the light of my photos.

>sidewaysphonepic.jpg
>How am i doing so far? 1/2
Message deleted, no repost, only 1/2. Man this user reeeeaaaaaly didn't like fucking up.

bruh, i was busy. Anywho, how'd I do?

>Zeke pt 2 electric boogaloo

i dont know, photo so big i cant put the whole thing on a monitor

Looks good enough for table top quality. That Dark Angels symbol on his left pauldron looks hand panted, really nice. Some of the pant in some areas looks too thick and you could of made for some brighter contrast in the cloth. Not bad though.

Next time reduce the size of the image by half. No need to have a 1mb image.

So I'm really interested in Tzeentch and the Thousand Sons and I think I want to collect them.

Which daemons are good to start with? I asked about Tzaangors and Rubric Marines last thread but didn't get any replies. GW had a video on Rubric Marines and they seemed kind of hard, but the Tzaangor one was just the flesh and not the other parts.

Also are there Khornegors, Nurglegors, or Slaaneshgors as well? Didn't find any of them on GW website.

Robes look like they could use another coat of the pre-wash color on the raised areas, especially with that patch on top of the hood that didn't get washed. I'd go around the rune thingy on his force sword with either a thinned black or nuln oil to clean it up. Ad some lighter silver to the gold you used and use the mix to highlight his sword and his Librarium skulls.
And if you've got access to some brush-on primer or gesso, hit up his left foot with it and cover that patch of bare metal. From my experience that usually came from holding the mini and my thumb rubbing shit off while painting, so I'd advice getting some Blue-Tak or similar sticky putt and sticking the mini to a wine or champagne cork so you can hold onto that instead.

My b on the resolution thing, and thanks, freehanding the insignia was a real bitch

oh shit, didn't even notice that

I finally managed to paint eyes that don't look like retarded googly eyes or have big splotches on the eyelids.
Also, I have apparently inspired people at my store to start painting their stuff rather than just leaving it unpainted. Feels good man.

Lets just get it out of the way...

>1.07 MB
Go into Paint, click the resize button on the upper left side. With Percentage selected, reduce the image by at least 50%

>Blurry.
Does your camera or phone have auto-focus? If yes, use it.

Besides it being a bury fucking image Eyes look good.

What minis are those, user? Looks interesting

Yeah sorry about the blur, my phone's camera is a fucking shit.
Thanks though, feels good to be painting again and actually doing more than just basecoating.

Just finished assembling my last few marines and now I can't decide what chapter I want them to be. I'm torn between two chapters: Scythes of the Emperor, and Lamenters.
While I love the former's paint scheme, the latter's fluff is probably my favorite out of any chapter
What do?

The model's growing on me, in all his armless glory.

Is he monopose? My main gripe is how the ab-armour feels really misaligned with the groin and chest pieces.

wings are technically arms too
don't disrespect majestic rowboat rex

A question WIP, If i put Ironbreaker heads onto phoenix guard do you think it would look alright?

no

Why? I would hear your reasoning. And are there any head you would recommend that aren't dildos with wings then?

Any idea on what to drybrush an Iron Hands vehicle with? I'm going for a blue/black look.

No matter the color, vehicles should always be drbrushed with Iron Breaker or Stormhost Silver.

Pretty much done with my first rubric marine. Still need todo highlights and stuff, but really proud of what I did with him.

Dark reaper and then a very light ThunderhawkBlue.

The first of my Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team. I'm aiming for a classic GW bright look.
Yet to varnish and flock. Tips and comments please..

>Assembling before painting
I did this with my first batch. Never again. I don't care how fiddly it can be mounting everything on toothpicks or whatever but never will I assemble something before painting again

Now i understand they used Emperor's face for model instead of Forge World Guilliman.

You're gonna be happier if you clean up those moldlines and other bits of flash, user.

I want to build a brush rack from spare sprue frames, so should it hold them vertical or horizontal? I always thought vertical was the way to go, but I recently saw vertical ones...

I saw him unpainted for the first time yesterday and neither the pose nor the armor look as bad now. I think it's actually a fine model on par with the FW version.

thank you anons! :D

why interchangable? I got plenty of them to paint after all. I am trying to replicate the marine from the index astartes article as closely as possible with the contents of the TS kit.

I'll try to finish the helmet tomorrow alongside the shoulder pads. The backpack's are a pain in the ass tought.

You have to glaze/wash it to bring the colors together. Then edge highlight. Boom you're done.

Friends and I looking to paint our first models, got a basic set of paints and a couple of brushes. I've heard that there are guides or tutorials one should peruse before starting- Does anyone have some good resources for noobs they'd be willing to share?

warhammer tv on youtube

Yeah, he seems to be. You'll need to do a fair amount of sawing to fix those abs. The head assembly slots firmly into place as well so you'll need to file down the edges if you want him looking another way.

There's conversion potential, but you'll have to work for it. Arms are ostensibly mono pose too, but socketed so you can file and pin them if you're that way inclined.

I feel you. I remember seeing a model with large portions of the trim painted blue as well, which looked way less garish. Might replicate, but I'll see how he looks primed, first.

Oh, and big E's sword is a single piece with the hand sculpted to the grip. Easy fix with a file and some work, if you wanted to use it for conversions or buy a recast of the piece

looks super good user

definetly would be my choice of army if I went full traitor, they have so much swag. I'm only half traitor so i play DAngles

Funny

Not the user you're replying to, but I've been playing DA for years and Sons made me go full traitor.

I get the feel both armies are something weird inside the Imperium and Chaos.
Sons are traitor by necessity and they are more or less reasonable.
Some of the DA successors seem more level-headed that 99% of the Imperium (mainly Guardians of the Covenant which I play, and Angels of Redemption).
Fallen are the inbetween.

I wish I could ally them or something. Sons deserve redemption.

>boy
>giving a shit about painting dumb crap and not playing Call of Duty all day

Only the claws left to paint so this is near enough finished. Bought some tamiya clear red yesterday so my next foray into candy red, this being my first try at it, will be a bit better.

looks pretty good user, would blast of the skies with my AA/10