Best Fantasy RPGs that aren't DnD

As the topic suggests what are the best Fantasy games that aren't DnD? DnD includes OSR stuff, I want to avoid the typical tropes of leveling, classes, and Dungeons for the most part but a particularly good game that has them is not exempt.

I'd also like something with either a really good setting, or a game where I can easily peel it off.

Well, this is uses classes and leveling, and is kind of obscure, but I recommend Hackmaster 5th edition.

It uses a cool combat system where armor absorbs damage, shields deflect, everything happens in seconds and overall combat's can be managed in way less time than DND. It looks complex at first glance but it's not.

Magic has serious drawbacks and isn't OP like in most common fantasy games. It also defaults to an interesting setting, Kingdoms of Kalamar.

>Best Fantasy RPGs that aren't DnD
D&D 4e

WFRP, The One Ring, GURPS, Ars Magica

Try the Finnish RPG Symbaroum; it's a simple to learn but highly atmospheric dark fantasy setting that seems rather reminiscent of Dark Souls.

Runequest is what you are looking for OP. It does away with all of that crap and the setting (Glorantha) is top notch.

Exalted comes to mind; the mechanics are shaky at best but the setting's fantastic. If you're not familiar with it, it's very much more of a mythic type fantasy, more Achilles or Nenabozh and less Sir Mcknight the Just.

I'd also suggest Earthdawn. While it does do the dungeons thing, the entire setting's built around justifying the concept. There's these Kaers that were designed to keep people safe while the magical Scourge swept the surface, and some of the Kaers were compromised and are full of bad stuff now.

Is it that you want a level-less system, or that you don't want the PCs to get stronger over the course of the game?

One of those is going to seriously reduce your options, the other can be done in just about any fantasy system including D&D.

>Character progression can only be done through levels
Is this guy for real?

I think you're seeing shit that he's not saying.

All I see is someone insisting that having level-less system somehow reduces your options, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Point buy provides far more in the way of freedom. If he means options as in systems, then there are plenty that use level-less mechanics.

Talislanta is the shit, best magic system by far

WFRP, Harnmaster. If you like crunch and crits, Rolemaster. Dragon Age is decent enough too, I suppose.

>there are plenty that use level-less mechanics
But few that are good.

Bloodborne.

>obligitory Ryuutama post.
>inb4 Strike!fag shows up.

>Finnish
You mean swedish.

Reading Comprehension, do you have it motherfucker! *obligatory bad Samual L. Jackson impersonation here*

It's a basic "This or That" question. He isn't stating that level-less games are inherently low powered, he was merely asking if it was possible that the OP was asking for a level-less system because he was actually looking for a system with low powered characters. There is a difference.

My person of different skin pigmentation

Talislanta is one of the best options if you want a fantasy that is somewhat distant from tolkien.

Shadow of the Demon Lord. FANTASTIC game. way underplayed. The path system is classes without shoehorning you into one niche. The profession system is skills done without autism. A fun setting. It's basically Warhammer fantasy with a bunch of the silliness taken out, and some new silliness put in.
it's just a fun game with a great (by d20 standards at least) system

Eh, it's all the same caliphate.

Strike! is not a fantasy RPG, and OP wants to avoid leveling/classes.

I'd recommend Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition (basically a refinement/compilation of the Fighting Fantasy book systems), and, for a more off the wall game, Cryptomancer, which is !LotR with internet and hacking.

I've wanted to play Fighting Fantasy for years. My copy has been sitting on my shelf for way too long. I'm in an area where the only things played are D&D variants and WoD.

Played it a few months ago, had a blast. It's very simple, a good read for any OSR fan who isn't afraid to move away from D&D.

You have my envy, sir.

>The One Ring

I really really ought to play this someday. Shame my players don't give a damn about LotR.

Vampire: The Masquerade might be worth a try

Could you post the pdf here?

Patrician Tastes Brother!

They are better than D&D at least.

He was asking if OP wanted something without character progression or no level system, then insisting that going with either would reduce his options (They won't). Low-powered characters weren't mentioned.

OP has returned! Also progression is fine but not a must as I'm looking for something that plays comfortably in a dozen sessions or less and DnD doesn't feel like it does that.

Oh yes, these are top notch. Talislanta has great magic. But it still uses a d20 for main resolution, so it's not that far off D&D in mechanics. Completely different setting, yes.

Surprised to see this here, but Kalamar is both incredibly detailed and realistic for a setting and should definitely be checked out if you like human centered fantasy settings.

Everyone knows Palladium Fantasy is the best.

t. Kevin Siembeda

Mythras or RuneQuest as it was formerly known.

How well does it to take to being used with a different setting, and do you have a download link?

Fantasy craft is my anti drug.

Vampire the Dark Ages plus the Bygone Bestiary isn't a bad start.

How does Talislanta magic work?

I don't even dislike Dungeon World, but it's STILL a mutation of D&D. It's in the same category as the OSR stuff. Hell, it basically abandons arguably the coolest thing about PBTA games (players being able to learn the system and play them with only playbooks) just so it can stick to more complicated D&D typical rules.

Try Fellowship.

OP: Polaris is criminally underappreciated.