EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Who the heck is that?" Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Threadly question
What's the dumbest commander you've tried to take seriously and how did it go?

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/donaldpminer/6f7bc607972182b80efa
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pull-the-lever-frank/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I won a 3 man pod tonight against Mizzix and Maelstrom Wanderer.

what is the most obscure commander?

New Jhoira and Lovisa art

How much is your deck and can I build it without monoliths/mana crypt?

According to EDHrec circa 2015, these
gist.github.com/donaldpminer/6f7bc607972182b80efa

SON OF A BITCH, REALLY? LOVISA?
God DAMMIT I spent like a year looking for a copy of her about 3 years back and eventually just bought one online

>That new Lovisa art
unf.

any competitive edh players here? what do you guys run and how much are you willing to spend?

Eh... quite a bit, and I don't even have Mycosynth Lattice, Manacrypt, and Metalworker yet.
It's mostly cards I've had for a long time.

Revamped this deck for a more casual meta, thoughts on it /edhg/?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/

It's a fuckin 75 cent card, what's the big deal?

>human
C'mon, I know they killed the lord creature type, but they couldn't replace it with ANYTHING ELSE

>no preview cards
>likely only reprints
>snow-covered mountains value gets destroyed

This is a good thing. Looking forward to what legends will be used next time.

Man I wanted to build UR big dudes but had built Jhoira like two years ago and didn't want the stigma I'd get from my playgroup but this must be a sign.

Food Chain Tazri, and not a lot because Chinaman.

>"playing" a tryhard deck that you are too poor to buy otherwise

Yep typical competitive player, so do you concede if you don't have your combo by turn 3?

Guess I'm putting Jhoira back together.

>that new Jhoira art
Man, that just reminds me that she should really have been an artifact-based legendary, not a suspend one.

I mean, I like her as she is and all, but UR really needs an artifact commander.

Some people are deathly afraid of ordering cards online for some reason.

Then they throw tantrums about how *insert any old $1-2 card* is IMPOSSIBLE to find and that they have been looking for years, and finally given up

Why the fuck would you pay full price for an Imperial Seal when you can get one for $3? You don't keep money by spending it in stupid amounts.

Competitive is about comboing out with protection and stopping others who don't keep up protection when trying to combo out.

Personally I hate ordering cards online unless I need a lot of them. It's just really obnoxious to pay .40$ for a 15 year old uncommon, 2$ in shipping and then waiting 2 weeks.

It's much more reasonable to wait until you have a couple dozen cards to order, anything else feels off.

You need to use better online sites to order cards, like tcgplayer.

is there any reason to run gauntlet over caged sun?

It hits the table a turn earlier.

Tcgplayer is nice but it isn't perfect user. Getting foils of those old Commons and uncommons is usually impossible for NM with tcgplayer direct, and some of them are so rare that they aren't even available with their shadier suppliers (I was hunting for a foil nevermaker for a while a few months ago, no hits at all for it on tcgplayer. Because of that when I actually found one in person the shopowner had a hard time pricing it too lol.)

Sometimes cards are just hard to find. If you don't know the struggle it's probably because you overuse things like edhrec or netdeck.

>What's the dumbest commander you've tried to take seriously and how did it go?

I have a couple of decks with unconventional commanders. I have a suicide deck built around the original Rakdos which is actually pretty amazing.

The dumbest deck I have is Halfdane, which I run as an aura deck in which I only use aura's that boost p/t and arrest effects to pump other people's creatures up so Halfdane can steal their p/t but if they get too big I can lock them down. That deck's not very good but its fun to play in super casual games or when a friend has built a new deck and needs an easy deck to test it against.

>buying from direct
The entire point of using tcgplayer is skip shipping using obscure sellers. In hundreds of orders I've had maybe five cancellations because of listing errors and two occasions where I was sent the wrong printing of a card.

>netdeck
Fuck you, I've probably made triple the amount of decks as you have, some of them purposefully obscure (Celestial Kirin, Multani) and have made decks for commanders before they were even released like Noyan Dar, Gitrog, Rashmi, Kalitas, and Hope of Ghirapur just mentioning cards currently in Standard.

I'm not sure there are any cards in MTG that aren't available on tcgplayer except maybe something like Moat or P3K cards.

>I'm not sure there are any cards in MTG that aren't available on tcgplayer except maybe something like Moat or P3K cards

I'm not sure if you even read my post. I literally gave you an example of a card they don't have. Foil nevermaker. Currently there is exactly one for sale on tcgplayer, and it's not NM, or even in English. I could buy it right now and there would be 0 available (much like how the situation was a few months ago).

This is not an isolated incident user.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pull-the-lever-frank/

has science gone wrong here?

There are three actually. That said foil Nevermaker is not a card, Nevermaker is. There's probably around 200 of those on tcgplayer right now.

No, you can totally get a foil Nevermaker, like I said, I have one now.

And that said, there are no English or near mint versions of that foil card. Stop being an internet tough guy, you can admit you are wrong.

Also I found it hilarious that you take netdecking as an insult and automatically assume that you have made 3x more decks than I have. How insecure are you?

Stop moving goalposts, the argument is about availability of cards on tcgplayer and they have virtually every card available. It wasn't about foils when I joined the argument here and then you shifted it.

Nobody fucking cares that you can't find awful overcosted effects in foil specifically in English. On that note if you didn't mean to use netdecking as an insult then there was no reason for it to be brought up.

Another decent thread shat up by two autists.

Sorry user let me simulate a regular thread.

POST 'EM

Who would you use as partner legendaries?

Jesus Christ you have downs, how does it feel to be so wrong and insecure that you can't admit it?

Keep trying to backpedal buddy, I know this is going to keep you seething with anger all night.

I'm actually gonna go jack off to RJ178928 now since you've given up, feel free to join me mate.

DID SOMEBODY SAY "POST EM"?

Also Lavinia of the Tenth and Gaddock Teeg

>What's the dumbest commander you've tried to take seriously and how did it go?
this piece of shit. went alright, decided to fill the deck with as much cheap deathtouch and kill cards as i could, its only wincon is annoying people enough to make them fold.

hey guise, wat is going on here? I hope you weren't planing on casting anything...

>Get a group together for the first time to play EDH
>On the first evening, we agree to a "small" budget of $50-100 maximum to see if everyone would feel it's a format worth investing more into
>I bring a $20 Uril deck
>First game starts
>Another player brought a deck that, after a few minutes on google, was found to be worth in excess of $700
>He gets a total lockout by turn 5
>Somehow this didn't actually ruin it for everyone else and we decided to reconvene next weekend for more

>Second time playing we agree that budget restrictions are hard to do because people have had their collections for years and sometimes the prices can be screwy on things
>We all decide that we want to have fun and we want to keep it casual
>The $700 guy brings a fucking infinite combo to the game, which is yet again worth hundreds of dollars and allows him to bring in cards from outside of the game
>Someone else brings an infinite sac engine with Mikaeus
>Last guy brings a rather cheap Derevi deck with lots of flyers
>I bring a $90 Krenko deck
>Somehow I get targetted as the "problem player" by the two tryhards
>Mikaeus player nearly has an orgasm when he one shots me
>They decide to ban Krenko

>Third times the charm, right?
>The group collectively decides that it neesd to scale back the power level a bit
>I suggest some things like pauper, tribal or monocolored decks
>"no"
>Painstakingly spend the week trying to create something that I think would be fun to play and interactive for the other players, using lots of choice cards and enchantments
>Have exactly one (1) token generating card in my deck
>Create said tokens about halfway through the match, not from a tutor just happened to draw it
>"wow user you sure do love tokens"
>"you really need to stop bringing token generators"
>"you're ruining our fun, this takes too long"
>Meanwhile they've all resorted to playing combo decks and literally take 10-15 minutes per turn sometimes
What the fuck did I get myself into

Time for new friends. Clearly they've decided the same.

Alright lads do I build Gabriel Angelfire or Llawan Cephalid Empress?

I think you're the problem here. If they are fine with what each other is doing but not fine with you, it's you. Unless you are blowing everything out of proportion and love playing the victim. Either way leave for their own good.

magiccardmarket dot eu

If you're in America, well, sucks to be you.

Humorously pointing out another player's hypocrisy on an anonymous image board is hardly playing the victim.

Bring hard stax and deny them all their resources, then tell them that they're ruining your fun by adding mana to their mana pool, then ban mana.

Say I want to grind my opponents mercilessly into the ground with non-stop value. What commander do I pick up? Is Rashmi really good like that one user was saying last thread?

Well since you clearly aren't defending yourself, or at least not doing it enough, in the face of this bullshit. In my opinion, you can do one of three things.
1. Not play in this group anymore because they don't seem to want you to play.
2. Destroy them. They don't want to play to budgets or any kind of restrictions, so why should you?
3. Play Azusa and 99 Forests and see if you still get targeted. Since that's all they seem to want to allow you to play.

> mind, might and speed are all red
Lol red confirmed for op

Selvala, explorer returned
Tax/elfball combo
I figured anything less than 100 bucks on a single card was worth it as long as the deck stayed under 2k
Only exception is Gaea's Cradle. It's nessessary past a certain point.
Granted some of the cards went up in price so when I put it into tapped out I get a little sick seeing the cost, but I just tell myself I didn't pay full price.

We reaching levels of jealousy that shouldn't even be possible

poorfag that plays standard here. considering disassembling my kitchen sink U/G deck and making an EDH deck with rashmi as the commander. I have mostly bulk commons/uncommons in my collection from SOI/EM and KLD/AER. some highlights are Nissa Vital force, Thing in the Ice, Inspiring Statuary, Static Orb (masterpiece), and Empyreal Voyager. would these make a good basis for a casual commander deck?

I don't think Rashmi really functions under those constraints

look, the magic of EDH is that pretty much everything can work as the base for a deck.

It's not going to be good. Also, do you have people to play with? If not, you probably shouldn't be putting money on this in the first place.

If you really want to get into EDH, sell your static orb and get a precon. It's going to work 100% times better than whatever clunky shit you can build with standard rejects, and will actually help you understand how the format works.

yeah, I get that she doesn't have all too much synergy with anything I listed, just thought that the card draw element would be decent. I'm just trying to think of what I can do with my limited card pool. I'm not really looking to make anything competitive, nor do I plan on buying any cards. This would be more like a casual pet project thing that I would play with some of the guys at my LGS before FNM if I show up early.

>That annoying fuck who always lights a massive joint before we start a game

Please tell me none of you do this

>someone brings infinite combo Mikaeus

Brings a tear to my eye

>When my entire playgroup does this
>When we bet snacks and sometimes money on who wins
>When we all wear sunglasses and have noire-stylr jazz playing in the background

Honestly it's the most fun I've ever had playing magic.

>Not smoking salvia before the game begins

It's like you hate having fun or something

>The $700 guy brings a fucking infinite combo to the game, which is yet again worth hundreds of dollars and allows him to bring in cards from outside of the game

Commander rules don't allow cards to be brought into the game from outside.

No, I would say that simic baldy mr. tutor is better. Keep in mind that you don't have mana up every time, but at least Momo lets you tutor for Seedborn muse and Teferi.

He probably meant something like a wishboard

I feel like wishboard is bad idea. Afterall, there's a reason why there's the 99 card limit.
I imagine that you can't run cards in wishboard that are already in the deck, so the singleton rule isn't broken, but I feel like wishboards are way too flexible. You should not be able to have like 40 card extra library to rummage for answer to literally everything in existence. Afterall, cutting cards is usually difficult thing to do.

I have one autist in my meta, who always has the wish cards in his deck and if someone doesn't allow him to play with wishes, he takes like 10-15 minutes to decide what to swap from wishboard to replace wishes. Thankfully the dude always asks if it's okay for him to play wishes and I don't have an issue with it, because he ends up rarely using them and he can't play that well anyway, so he's not abusing any of it. I don't know if he runs them anymore since he turned the Niv-Mizzet into chaos deck since.

40 cards? We have a restriction of a 10 card sideboard that makes wishes function the same as in constructed tournament play.

Only 1 person in our group has a deck with a sideboard which is a Ydris cascade deck that has 10 spells that have X in their casting cost.

>Yidris wishboard with spells you don't want to cascade into
Hey that's a smart move

Its helpful because a Ydris deck can sometimes turn the game very grindy, and being able to wish for a Banefire or similar to end a game can be very useful.

>What the fuck did I get myself into
The best format
These kind of things are half of the fun.
Though banning krenko is bullshit, I wouldn't let that stand senpai
Never let noobs ban things

This has way too many cards. What do I cut?

>Madcap
For what purpose?

Increasing variance.
Ie. miracling forge off the top
This is probably getting cut (4 is too much to be saving mana consistently)

do you have 35 or more lands? cut them down to 34
do you have 10 accellerants? if not add them
do you have 10 or so card filtering/draw? if not add them
do you have more than 4 or more cards over 6 cmc? if so cut it down to 3
do you have any cards that aren't directly helping your strat? cut them.
>one island
who the hell is your general?

Do you guys loan cards to people?

I know it was Standard, but I leant 2 Grim Flayers, 4 Trackers and a couple G/W lands to a friend who was tight on money waaay back when company rotated out. I also told him that I was lending them because I wanted the cards back at some point.

Recently I saw him trying to sell the cards and I said "hey wtf I want those back" and he played stupid and got all mad. Honestly, I don't think he's trying to pull a fast one. He may have genuinely forgotten. Ever since then, if I lend or borrow a card, I take a screenshot on my phone, with a note written next to them saying "borrowed from joe" or "leant to mike" etc.

The guy in the top right.
Curve topping at 5 is kind of weird. Casting 6-10 mana spells is why you play commander right?
>Island is the best cards right?

I count 16 mana rocks. Assuming Kirkesh is your general (which would make a lot of sense) he can't dupe those abilities, so maybe cut the mana rock package down to ~10 tops. Unless there's a Paradox Engine I'm missing for you to go ape with Paradox/Draw/Rocks

>Curve topping at 5
first off I said over 6
I also said limit yourself to 3 cards over 6cmc your top end could still be an eldrazi.
>thats why you play edh riiiite?
this way you get to actually cast the stuff rather than have it sit in your hand while you wait for your 7th land drop.

you're a moron for loaning things and expecting to get them back in the first place. either trade/sell your cards or give them away for free. "loaning" doesn't work with human beings unless you're a big bank and you can put people in jail for not paying back

also i'm sure he remembers but he's just a cunt

>1x island
???
this deck is shit, and that leads me to believe you are shit as well.
you def should not have been vaccinated as a kid.

He's a friend tho, not some random schmuck at my LGS. He comes to birthday/holiday parties, I watch his kids when he goes out of town, we carpool to our LGS.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson and I'm not doing that anymore. I'm mostly just ass blasted because Trackers are fucking 8+ a pop now and I want 2 or 3. yet, somewhere I have a playset that I can't touch.

Restriction is good thing, with max of 15 cards like sideboards in events. Still, I think that 10 is enough, but the dude had such big stack of cards that I'm sure there was probably over 40 of em.

complaining on TG isnt going to help
this is really a simple matter of walking up to him and asking for them back.
are social interactions really that hard?

Complaining? I was just asking if you guys loan cards. I think your autism is clouding what I actually said. Sure, I'm venting a bit. It's not like I can bitch about it on social media because Im friends with the guy.

>Honestly, I don't think he's trying to pull a fast one
No, he was definitely trying to pull a fast one, and you'd be dumb to think otherwise.

A guy that's been in my playgroup for years mysteriously showed up with playsets of staples (Tezzerets, Mox Opals, Steel Overseers, UB fastlands etc) in his trade binder about half a year after my standard deck disappeared (SoM standard).

This guy is a broke ass motherfucker who never buys cards, nor plays any other format than EDH, I asked where he got the cards and I got some vague shit about him getting them in a trade.

Since I couldn't prove anything, I couldn't call him out on randomly having pretty much every expensive staple that belonged to the deck I lost. I still play with him, but I keep an eye out, it hasn't repeated itself in 5-6 years, so it's possible it was a one-time thing.

Do you assume all people who steal don't have friends? There are people who steal from their friends too. Judging by the fact that your friend actually got ANGRY about his mistake and not genuinely sad shows how deceitful he is.

your daddy done raised you wrong if he didn't teach you that borrowing as a concept is just a way for people to get stuff for free

well why not

shame that nerd until he gives you your cards back

Those are some nice tits.

Yeah. I mean, its a lesson learned here. I've always lived by the motto of "$20 doesn't cost a lot to find out if you can trust someone with paying you back". I packed all those cards from winnings at FNM. So I'm not TOO assblasted about it. Just bugs me that he acted all weird about it when I said "dude i lent those to you"

>It's not like I can bitch about it on social media
why are you trying to be so damn passive aggressive
nut up or shut up you fucking excuse for a human being.
holy hell, its people like you why God doesn't talk to us anymore.

This is why you play 15 mana rocks so you can play a 7-8 on turn 4-5. (This sounds insane to me as I'm writing this)
It really depends on what you expect to play against. If they win on turn 3 you're never casting your 6 drops.
The island was just on the table. I'm thinking of sneaking it in now.

Why is this bothering you so much? I told the dude I want the cards back. What am I doing that is so passive aggressive?

because you are being a bitch.
this is the EDH/Commander General not the whinny bitch blog general.

"Do you guys loan cards to people? Here's a quick story about why I don't or if I do, this is how I handle it"

you should have pressured the guy who you loaned the cards to until he gave them, or alternatively severed all relations with him for being a liar fraud thief. instead you came onto tg to just casually vent about this guy while claiming that you're actually just asking people "if they loan cards" and getting pissy when they call you a dumbass for doing so

in fact, i'd say you deserve your friend

>Here's a quick story about why I don't or if I do, this is how I handle it
>not a blog
dude just stop

>make a post related to a TRADING card game
>be accused of a blog post

to clarify, i'm not actually mad that you're blogging, that's a viable posting style in the thread, but it's the fact that you're a passive-aggressive doormat that annoys me

I'm trying to figure out what is passive aggressive? I saw him selling the cards. I said, dude those are mine I want them back. What part of that is passive aggressive? I'm not socially inept. But, I'm not going to lose a friend over cards that I may have spent 20 to collect in the first place. Just venting a small amount because I was being nice and got taken advantage of.

>woe is me I cant into a social interaction
>justifying your pussie behavior
>but this totally isnt a blogpost
your shitty posts have been about you, not the game, not about trading, not about borrowing but about you.

god you're an idiot. Read every single response to my post.