Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Witchcraft Edition:

What kinds of trials and tribulations do young magic users go through in order to awake their power? Is it simply the result of prayer, study, or luck, or do they need to perform more esoteric rites?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit
PS: Outdated, playtest should be out next week but that's not a promise.

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70930/curse-of-the-lazy-throne
youtube.com/watch?v=woPff-Tpkns
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They need to find DMs who don't close applications a week early without warning or they'll never get to use magic.

holy fuck user you are salted.

Sometimes discovering the magic inside requires salt. Sometimes, it requires a LOT of salt.

On March 10th, 2017, Swimming Eagle founded a new company, /pfg/ saltmining inc.

The early bird gets the worm.

Necromancy spells frequently use Salt.

THE SALT MUST FLOW

Congrats to TEAM ROAR!

youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0

Thanks! I'm super excited for this opportunity, especially since I thought I applied way too late to actually get in!

i solemnly swear to chuuni it the fuck up

Review user, I see the service you've done for /pfg/ and i feel sorry for what i've done to you..

I can't let you into the game, Seven people would be a nightmare. but i can let you design an important NPC.

It's honestly fine, Eagle. I appreciate you trying to spare my feelings a little, but between my job and other shit it was going to be a tight squeeze anyway. I probably wouldn't want to be in a party with Rorymei and I said a couple of mean things about your players and their applications under a veil of anonymity, so it's properly karmic that I didn't get in.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing whenever we get recruitment drives in /pfg/, and I have a game to focus on as GM.

I'll see about the CotTL (did I get that right?) and RotRK apps next, once I've had a little time to mourn.

There will be other lewdgames and lewdparties.

Life... life finds a way.

Lewd..

Lewd finds a way.

That's way better. I'm going to steal that.

To be fair, a lot of them were begging you to be mean to them.

From someone who wasn't involved in Dragons 2 at all, I'm really sorry you didn't get in.

Best of luck to you, user. Are you in or running any games in particular?

One, but I won't say it in here since I've spaghettied my identity in a few places in a moment of weakness.

Talathel/Falafel/Cancer Elf/DHB

>Child of elves, given a nice, quiet childhood.
>Watches beauty, in all forms fade away into nothingness.
>Joins the Chelish army, to have a front row seat to watch the empire burn.
>Destroys a priceless heirloom, and replaces it with a fake, just to fuck with a random guy
>Gains his Oracle burden, finds it *hilarious*
>Wondering when he himself will fade away.

A Nihilist that embraces the futility of the universe and the ephemeral nature of mortality.

Good:
Well damn. I've read a lot of character bios over the years, plenty of them evil. This is the first one that's actually made me uncomfortable (in a good way).

Characters like the Joker resonate with us because they speak to the madness that lies within ourselves, and how all that separates an average person from insanity is the notion that things have meaning. This character takes that archetype and twists it just a little bit. No matter how twisted the character, all villains have some goal, some thing they want to accomplish; this serves to humanize them. Their goals may be horrifying, and their methods inscrutable, but deep down they *want* just like we do.

That's what sets Talathel apart.
He doesn't want anything. He doesn't do it to serve a dark and twisted god. He doesn't do it to bring about a new order, or overthrow society. He doesn't even do it because its fun. He is not like us; he is utterly alien.

Bad:
What motivates him to join the party and participate in the plot?

What possible reason could the PCs have for continuing to travel with him?

Time would make more sense than Lore for the general theme.

>Appeal 5/5, goddamn do I like this character. I just wonder if DHB has the skill to pull it off.
>Backstory 5/5, prose is excellent, covers enough to be interesting, and doesn't drag on.
>Compatibility 2/5, he does it all, which means he can fit in most parties. However I wonder if the other PCs will tolerate his presence.
>Evilocity Time/5 Is entropy evil?

So, Legacy of Fire.

Thinking of giving that another try. Gestalt. Adult content on the table but not the focus. The works.

Anybody want to make suggestions on how to run that? Because I'm fully aware it's not a perfect AP, and I'd like to know how it could be made better for anybody who's interested.

>yfw when you never be so salted that you summon a waifu from the paraelemental plane of Salt

>Gestalt
could we not

you're in the minority there boyo

Allow Broken Blade, custom weapons, and pre-game crafting. :^)

LoF is 3.5e, so you're gonna need to do some major updating, in addition to adapting for the full suite of /pfg/ shenanigans.

Essentially, I'd use the AP as an outline, maps, places, people, monsters, then completely rewrite most/all of the specifics.

CotLT GM here, we've moved the game to be on Mondays, 7 PM EST ish.

I'm still potentially looking into getting a potential 5th player (no promises), and I still have to look at revisions of a few PC applications.

Also I should be asleep right now but my migraines are murdering me.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/70930/curse-of-the-lazy-throne

Monsters and some key NPCs I've already got done for the most part.

Feel free to get into spoiler territory if you want to make recommendations to Paizo's usual writing problems, assuming I've already missed them on my first read through.

Genie girls. Lots and lots of genie girls (and boys, sure).

Like, every third person has genie blood.

>What motivates him to join the party and participate in the plot?
I think this is a point I should clarify more in the app. The idea of his joining and participation is he himself needs to leave something behind in order to fade. Legacies and their fading are important to him, and throughout his life he has left nothing. Participation in Hell's Vengeance gives him an opportunity at this legacy. The destruction of legacies is not the entire point, the point is their fading and the fact they existed.

In the app I mostly describe it as "the summer of their lives" and "the wilting". The idea being that one must leave behind the flower itself after their wilt and die.

>What possible reason could the PCs have for continuing to travel with him?
This is something I have fretted over as well. Talathel is incapable of what most people would consider friendship. However caution and self preservation would drive him to not harm the party due to doing so would put him into direct and immediate danger. Plus his own mission and need to leave a legacy would drive him to exercise this caution.

>Time would make more sense than Lore for the general theme.
That is a damn good point. I may have to think about changing over.

I may do a few short clarifying revisions.

How did you take the last line of his personality section? How do you think it impacts his character?

>Plus his own mission and need to leave a legacy would drive him to exercise this caution.
Children! Children are like legacies!

Gonna fucking say, Falafel strikes me as the kind of character who would still be a virgin, not because he can't get laid, but he just wouldn't have a sex drive.

Though mating via obligation to leave a legacy. Now that, that is a tasty fetish.

Consensual sex in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. How delightfully deviant!

Just realized Salacia was an existing PC... so, not gonna spend time helping someone who already has a game, when I can help those in need!

Mikhael Vorovski
>Daddy Vamp wants a son, has one, kidnaps a cleric to make him immune to sunlight (no points for noticing that Damphirs are immune to sunlight by default. Guess daddy has no points in Kn:Local)
>Kid is left with a babysitter for 5 years, and is pretty normal.
>He turns 6, daddy comes back, and suddenly he's full puppy-kicking, baby-scaring evil.
>Kills his father at age 100
>At 26, he gets Pathfinder'd, and has to flee.
>Ends up in Cheliax, looking for a way to regain his honor.

Good:

I don't have a lot to say here, not because the app is bad, but because there's not really anything that stands out to me.

It's perfectly serviceable both mechanically and story-wise.

Bad:

Is Mikhael a prideful sadist? I got that feeling, but couldn't sure. =P

It's difficult in a backstory, but showing, rather than telling, is an important part of writing. If you must tell us something, assume the audience is intelligent enough to remember it; there's no need to repeat yourself over, and over.

This may be hard to GM for, and unfun for the rest of the party. Fear builds can be stupidly powerful due to the silliness of the Pathfinder rules. Fear builds that negate all immunity/resistance even more so. As a GM, I'd definitely think long and hard before allowing this PC.

We get that he wants power, prestige, etc. standard broad-strokes vampire motivations, but... what sets him apart? What *specifically* does he want, and why does he want it? What makes him tick?

Why is he a prideful sadist? What specifically does he hold in highest esteem? If he showed no signs of sadism prior to joining his father, does that mean his behavior is innate or is it learned? The bit where he first meets his father is the turning point for the entire character, elaborate on it.

Why don't you want to be alone with him? Is he a creeper? Is he just a dick? Does he murder them? Does he spend inordinate amounts of time talking about his collection of lascivious Minkian picture scrolls?

>Appeal 2/5, this very much feels like a blank canvas character. The traits you've accentuated the most are just things that are pretty common to vampires and anti-paladins. You need to take more chances and find a unique story/voice for this character. You can do it! I believe in you!
>Backstory 3/5, competently put together and doesn't overstay its welcome. As a GM, I'd totally make the adventurers members of the Glorious Reclamation down the line. The turning points in the character's life need elaboration.
>Compatibility 3/5, just another Tank/DPS. No major personality conflicts with the party. The fear may become problematic.
>Evilocity 2/5, he's a prideful sadist, but we never see him indulging in either of these sins. You have to convince us this guy is a bad enough dude to save Cheliax, show us what he's made of.

good sir the fisherman's wife is a classic!

>As a final gift to the man that made it he has vowed it will be among the last things he destroys, so that they may die together.

I wasn't sold on the character until this line.
It lets us know that he's fully cognizant of the change he's gone through, and also accepts that the tiny trace of his old life is what keeps him anchored to the world.

The Tea Set is the implement by which he was born, and it will be the implement by which he dies.

What are the implications and consequences of a village with pox-ridden elves?

Elves are generally pretty insular, not a huge chance of them spreading it around.

I think I might have put a liiiiittle too much effort in getting pictures for my character. It's a bit too bad that I can't draw to save my life, finding art would be so much easier if I could.

>Literally Corrin with recolored eyes
>Too much effort

The best part is such a fucking dick villain with these hobbies:
>tea parties
>reading popular fiction

Kinda like how Hitler loved to paint.

I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU!!!

Does Golorian have pizza? If so where?

Same thing for Ice Cream

100% this
But I would caviat this with the fact that 'the poxes' generally are pretty hardy and will survive on objects for a good amount of time. If they do any trading you might expect to see it spread

Considering Alexander the Great eated snow coated in honey and nectar? Probably in some of the more mountainous regions.

As for Pizza, Andoran?

I'm not very good at this, so it's even worse. Sorry to disappoint, user. Here's someone who's manly as fuck to ask for your forgiveness!

>>Compatibility 2/5, he does it all, which means he can fit in most parties. However I wonder if the other PCs will tolerate his presence.
How would the party even know what a bastard he is? Isn't his whole thing that he hides what a fucked up monster he is so that people give their shit to him willingly.

Well Pizza is Italian right? Where's Itally in Golorian. I could never tell.

>How would the party even know what a bastard he is? Isn't his whole thing that he hides what a fucked up monster he is so that people give their shit to him willingly.

Bluff only gets you so far; and it only takes 1-2 instances of watching him work for the party to get suspicious.

A character who has to lie about their entire personality in order to not get shanked in the night has some serious compatibility issues.

Not to mention, you know the perfectionist Shizuka and him are gonna clash

I don't know but now I want to do a campaign that's just a bunch of bros trying to find the best Cheeseburger in Andoran

I'm not alone here, right?

Nah, too complex. Best Grilled Cheese.

This is the other thing to consider A party is half way formed already, meaning compatibility should be factored into Who Will be there.

I think that's a good dynamic. Falafel cares too much about his personal safety to actually break her shit. Shizuka might try something, but Falafel not being the antagonizer would be interesting. If Shizuka weasels his real personality out of him their conversation would be interesting.

Plus Falafel would probably enjoy watching her paint.

>A bunch of people going cross country to get the best sandwich of the nation
>Every town they go they accidentally thwart the BBEG's plan
>They end up accidentally and unknowingly saving the world just to get burgersa

>A character who has to lie about their entire personality in order to not get shanked in the night has some serious compatibility issues.
Why would he get shanked in the night? It's not like he's the only evil person among good guys, he's on an entire evil team. Unless he's actively destroying their belongings why would they go after him?

Unless it's a sort of "yeah he's too crazy and destructive to be allowed to stay around, he might decide he's bored when he hits high levels and figure cheliax falling to shreds would be fucking hilarious".

you know what? I'd play a short game based on that.

I might even have a character ready for it.

>yeah he's too crazy and destructive to be allowed to stay around

That's what my reasoning was.

The HV party as-is isn't stupid, a guy whose main method of operating is insinuating himself into a person's life, then destroy what they hold most dead AND who seems to have no goals besides watching the world burn, seems like more of a liability than an asset.

They may not think as I do, they may never see through the charade. But the possibility of it happening warrants consideration.

OR (if that doesn't satisfy you)

This is just my opinion, not some indisputable fact.

Makes sense, but once you see through the ruse though he's become pretty much defanged. Doesn't seem like he takes things by force, and as long as you don't give him your "legacy" in good confidence you don't have to worry.

My guess is they do see through the ruse, and once they do the party are no longer viable targets if he ever considered them in the first place.

I want to break Talathel. I want to rend his soul and mind. I want to do this by being the best enabling friend he's ever had, to join in on making him risk his skin to do even more petty or melodramatic shit like ruin beauty or deface ancient statues.

I'd do all this despite knowing he'd try to ruin me and worse, be happy with it - smile as I discover my life is ruined with just the simple phrase; "Silly, my life was ruined just by meeting you because I'd never love anyone as much as you.

And when he dies I would exult, I would rejoice that I was able to help before that happened, and let him know that I'm keeping his beloved tea set safe for centuries to come, and keeping his child safe within me.

jesus fuck

Yeah.... that's enough internet for tonight.

Yorokobe, shounen

Umm. Huh.

What do you do when you realize he too has known all along what you are and what your plan is and desides that in a moment of delicious irony to kill his own unborn son in order to destroy your attempted legacy.

Can't stoppel the falafel.

Ice Cream is listed in the food and drink section. No idea where you could get it on Golarion.

>and let him know that I'm keeping his beloved tea set safe for centuries to come
How petty.

It would be the bloodiest tale across Cheliax - no, the whole continent! We would be the biggest assholes, the worst ones to slight.

And it would end in blood, too - a tragedy of murder. Or would murder-suicide work better? Talathiel holding my broken, smiling body in his hands, alternately sobbing and laughing his guts out as he realises he's killed the person who'd only wanted to help him?

Hey, where are you going? Come back, you coward! I haven't even chosen the children's names yet!

Yandere is worst dere

Then I'd die happy, knowing my beloved is happy- perhaps ecstatic - and that he'd remember me because of it.

See, that way, his happiness will be his legacy. To destroy my legacy, he'd have to finish what was left and end himself. And then we can be together again in hell!

It's weird! I don't like it! I hate it!

Is it bad form to cause bad things to NG characters for doing good?
Like lets say NG heals mercenary that then later betrays the healer because he was offered money for it

That's a fast track to never having anyone play good characters at your table again.

You can pull that a few times, with fair warnings given. But unless you've specifically communicated to your players that you're going for a darker or more cynical tone, you're just going to piss them off and kill their drive to try.

Why, after all, should they bother to roleplay being good, if they're only going to get buttfucked for it? Why not just slit the throats of everyone they meet to make sure that they don't get backstabbed?

The road to hell is yadda yadda blah blah blah, but those good intentions can't ALWAYS lead to bad things. Otherwise, why would anyone ever not be evil?

It's not bad form, it just encourages the player to actively think about how he uses his abilities. You also need to make it clear that certain actions could backfire.

/pfg/ will say yes, because nothing bad should happen to the PC's ever.

Personally, I don't think so assuming it makes sense. That being said if you make that a habit, don't expect the PC's to help anyone ever altruistically.

>Jade Regents
>Players invade Castle Brinewall
>PCs heal up [soiler]Ogrekins after they rough them up
>PCs are upset that they go back to the castle and fight them later on with full HP and buffs

I don't know what the fuck they expected.

It's not in and of itself.

But what IS bad

Is if no GOOD ever comes back to them for doing good. Like a similarly aided mercenary repaying the favor at some point.

Consequence should follow action. If the players know they are healing an amoral mercenary who would attack someone who saved their life for free, for money, then feel free for it to come back to bite them.

However, do consider that many people will see people doing good as friends, or more cynically as assets. Would you value some bits of money, or free healing? It'd have to be a lot of money, and that's not a player's action, it's an enemy bribe that makes him attack them.

If a player's action intended to be good makes them suffer for it simply because they did a good deed (lightning strikes you because a devil saw you rescuing that child from a tree) then that's going to make your players become murderhobos.

I like to think they have to solve some puzzle or track down the ritual to contact a patron. Unlike being a wizard and studying or a cleric with devotion, witches just need to prove they're clever enough to use the power, and from there they do as they like with it.

Campaign traits in a homebrew game

y/n

Yes, but only with GM approval.

I mean the GM making campaign traits FOR his homebrew game.

Hmmm
Well i did kinda jrpg opening where party half of the party are childhood friends from nice naive town and evil force ransacks it
And now they are forced to escape to fantasy shank slums where thugs and gangsters rule
Kinda just an idea to sell that the place is mean and horrible

Oh, then sure. No harm in another option for players, just don't go overboard with it.

It's absolutely a good idea, then.

Well then yes. Don't feel too bad about making bad things happen due to altruistic actions, but make sure to balance it out with some upsides.

And make sure they see those upsides. Even better is if it takes long enough that they've forgotten about their good deed, and THEN it comes back.

Easier is for the guy to do a half-hearted thing like say someone sold them out, and then get money from selling them out.

"Hey, I did you a favour by telling you about the snitch, you should be thankful for the advanced warning!"

This. If you've got to dick them over, at least make it funny.

HE HATES IT!

It is not supposed to be funny, this is meant to be the utter low point of the story

You sound like you're trying to have your Act 2 dark times way too early.

All the characters I like keep dying before apps even close on games, characters I'd rather see in than my own. How do I fix my tastes?

If you like characters and are GMing, invite their players via PM.

Then have the guy be upset, but still take the money. Have him tell the party "Don't you dare get angry at me, you'd do the same if you were in my position!"

A merc selling out people who's helped them and 'trying' to keep his hands clean makes much more sense than someone who's taken money and now will try to stab the person who saved them.

The first implys the person has a conscience and knows he's doing something wrong but is lured by money, the second implies this person is a mindless automaton who will stab himself if paid to do so.

>tfw can't even be salty because I knew on wednesday I wasn't getting in
>asked Eagle for a review and got "yeah its good, whatever"
You weren't even subtle bro

For all of Eagle's skill as a GM, he does have a habit of becoming really set in his decisions and ignoring everything else.

>Wake up expecting disappointment
>check my messages
>doubletake
>Mfw shitty memedog is accepted into dragon 2

I've got a better idea for Rory's theme song.
youtube.com/watch?v=woPff-Tpkns

>Undertale
go and stay go
>why

In that user's defense, regardless of what you think of the game or the fans. Undertale has some nice tunes.

The only thing I liked about Undertale was the smut of goatmom and the remixes.