MTG March 13 Ban

What are your predictions?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-aether-revolt-part-1-2017-02-03
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Standard: n/a
Modern: n/a (although some combination of jtms, preordain, ponder, twin could come off but will never happen)
Legacy: n/a
Vintage: Paradoxical Outcome is now restricted

>Standard: n/a
>n/a
>n
>/
>a
Are you retarded? 100% they will ban a piece of the cat lady combo, they already said it wasn't supposed to exist.

Kitty cat combo is not degenerative enough to ban. It's nowhere NEAR as bad as Emrakul or Smugs were during their time in standard.

I'm rooting for Felidar Guardian and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to be banned in Standard.

Meh, Gids is going away in about 9 months. I don't feel he's worth banning.

I think Marvel would be the only thing even close to getting banned in standard.

They're banning anything that allows you to play competitively without Gideon, Ally of Zendikar because he hasn't been in enough top8s.

>it wasn't mean to exist
That combo is one of the most forced pairings that has ever existed what the fuck are you talking about.

Gideon is the only ban necessary.

>Standard
-
>Papuer
-
>Modern
-Unban Jace, the Mind Sculptor
>Legacy
-
>Vintage
-

>Commander
>implying Sheldon

Commander: Fetchlands are banned, because you can put Scalding Tarn in a nonblue (that still has red) deck and that's horrible.

Pls no

It is against the SPIRIT OF EDH to use off-color fetchlands that may well backfire on you if you happen to already have everything that's a Mountain already (or just means you're paying life for a basic and a shuffle). AGAINST THE SPIRIT!

Nothing will ever get banned in EDH. It took 3 years of constant pressure just to get Prophet banned, and that card actually NEEDED to be banned.

Yes, but that's because Sheldon and his group liked using it.
He doesn't like fetches because they can search for islands in nonblue decks and That's Wrong.

>not even banning off-color fetches, just ban them in general

the salt would be unreal, fund it

>Yes, but that's because Sheldon and his group liked using it.

>Bazaar of Baghdad is Legal
>Mishra's Workshop is legal
>Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale is legal

>Library of Alexandria is banned because "muh bad feelz from poorfags"

Face it, Sheldon is a hack and only there by the sheer will of the WotC gods

They'll probably claim it leads to excessive shuffling, too, instead of the real reason.
Rampant tutors and commanders that force shuffles every turn are okay still, though, of course.

Standard: Scrapheap Scrounger
Modern: Thoughtseize
Legacy: none
Vintage: Gush restricted
Pauper: none

Commander: none
Dual Commander: Vial-Smasher banned as commander.

Gush still is the best deck of the format. Paradoxical Outcome was just pushed for awhile.

>Thoughtseize

wew
Still mad about the Theros reprint?

Not really, I just think it's the only piece that's bannable and fits with the double Inquisition printings.

Standard - ban Winding Constrictor
Modern - unban jtms, splinter twin, bloodbraid elf,
Legacy - no change
Vintage - no change
Commander - all cards over 6 mana.

Unban Stoneforge Mystic and Jace, the Mind Sculptor.
All other formats no changes

A thoughtseize ban has got to be one of the most retarded cards they could even ban in modern right now.
Modern doesn't need more bans, it needs unbans to push both white and blue as they are leagues behind the other colours in power

Standard: Winding Constrictor, plus part of the cat combo
Modern: Nothing, but Metallic Mimic is going to need one before too long. Elves was already good. They didn't need more resistance against Anger of the Gods.
Legacy: Nada
Vintage: Nada
Commander: Fetches, if only. Print an alternative that removes the shuffling somehow. Bonus points if the alternative is modern legal and doesn't have a permanent leave the battlefield for ez Fatal procs

Nothing is going to be an alternative to fetches AND not leave the battlefield.
It's possible to make ones that don't go to the graveyard and don't shuffle (exile and get from sideboard, for example), but it's going to have to be one-use, and anything involving counters to do that will end up being too wordy and is honestly not worth the effort just to not trigger one card.

>ban Prophet, Rofellos, Primordial, Prime Time, and basically every other good green card ever made
>sol ring legal

EDH is a fucking joke.

Yeah fuck combo and control aggro and midrange all day baby.

Welcome to Modern.

Sam Stod's gone on record that they didn't think of the copycat combo. That doesn't mean that it should be banned though.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-aether-revolt-part-1-2017-02-03

I can't imagine banning anything other Heart of Kiran or Gideon for standard.

>Standard now has the same ban mania that modern has.
>The standard format is in such a shit state that Wizards had to resort to banning the 3 top decks as their is no answers in the entire format.
Man Wizards continues to impress with their fuckups in standard year after year

Dont forget that people hate the churn and burn nature of standard and the quicker rotation pushed a lot of people out.

Ya hence they changing it back to 1 year rotations.
You can see Wizards is struggling with Standard at the moment and I honestly haven't seen Standard in this much of a mess in a long time

I'm beyond blaming Wizards for fucking up designs and letting crazy shit through. I don't even think it's too crazy - the cat combo or the snake.

You can energy-bolt or push the snake, no fucking problem; Fumigate is also available. Unfortunately you can't bolt or Fumigate the fucking Heart of Kiran.

My problem is that Standard decks are creeping up on Modern decks in terms of pricing. And that's what is fucked up. Out of a 150-250 card set only some 10 non-land cards throughout all rarities are constructed desirable. Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? I don't want to play one goddamn deck for three months until a new set comes out and that doesn't mean I'm poor, I just feel that that level of secondary market cost for a deck seems completely outrageous.

I think it's fucking hilarious that they're focusing on reforming DCI numbers, streamlining GPs, and pushing some stupid new Duels product when I'm sure the vast majority of players who don't want to make a living of Magic just want to be able to show up to FNM and have some semi-competitive games and play on a fucking online client that doesn't explode after running for an hour.

Sometimes I wonder how Wizards designs the set around the threats they print. I wonder if they look at a threat like Heart and ask themselves, "how does this interact in combat" or "how can players kill this thing"? You're not going to Naturalize the thing because Naturalize is a shit card.

You take a card like Grave Titan and seriously ask yourself if it's a good fucking idea to have it running around when nearly nothing interacts with it favorably except OTHER Grave Titans. For all her nuttiness Elesh Norn can just fucking die to a O-Ring or Doom Blade. Gristlebrand is just hard to cast. But then they let through bullshit like Emrakul 2.0 who is just neither of those things and also has built-in protection.

Battlecruiser Magic is fine. But often battlecruiser Magic is held in check by disruption or Wraths or removal. I can't believe they think that having games decided by one round of combat (like it is with Emrakul and Grave Titan) flies. It's hard to imagine they're that stupid but that is the only explanation why they let it through.

Standard: Scrapheap Scrounger, Felidar Guardian
Modern: JTMS unban, SFM unban.
Legacy: N/A
Vintage: Gush back on restricted list. In a perfect world, either Paradoxical restricted or Necropotence unrestricted alongside Library.
I have no fucking clue why Library is still restricted.

FREE TWIN

Baleful Strix, make it Mythic and MODERN LEGAL BABY.

Ban Aether Vial :^)

>Seriously, what the fuck is up with that?
Because Wizards believe that they can better predict the metagame and balance archetypes accordingly when the number of playables in each set is low. Their track record is not great, however.

Plsl unban Twin. I'm playing Jund and I want to have a good match up.

only speaking about modern: mishra's bauble is actually on the knife's edge

Nothing is getting banned in Standard because they'd either ban a shitload of things or risk turning the 2 deck format into a 1 deck format
Ban Gideon, Copycat is king
Ban Cat, Vehicles is king
Ban both Gideon and Cat, Snek is king
And for sure they're not banning 3 cards after just banning 3 cards, it would make a lot of people really mad.
As for Modern, please make U great again.

>preordain, ponder
I really don't see this happening, wotc wants to keep the amount of cheap cantrips low and they just banned probe.

Modern-
>Grapeshot is banned
>Empty the Warrens is banned
>Preordain is unbanned
>Ponder is unbanned
>Rite of Flame is unbanned
>Seething Song is unbanned

Dragonstorm all day baby.

Last good was in Innisrad/RtR. Things went to shit (playwise, not sales-wise, you pendantic fags) after that. I played against everything but a 5 color deck at that time. Rare mono color, but shocks and buddy lands made so many decks possible. It was great. I had high hopes for return to zendikar and return to innistraad, but wotc can not think. The rely on gimmicks instead of playability.

fucking Ingest and Processing, mechanics so bad not a single card with either saw any play (except Vile Amalgam, only because it had the world Eldrazi and Colorless on it)

well thats actually true of ALL mechanics from BFZ block. Rally, Support, Ingest, Converge, Process, all of them bad.

>No reprint for Tron decks in Modern Masters 2017
Should I be worried?

Don't forget, the Titans were the best designed cycle in all of magic! The guy who designed them said so himself, which is why they got reprinted the very next core set!

Probably not, even if wizards targets tron with a ban it isn't likely that it will hugely effect the viability of the deck, the most you would need to worry about is losing money on one of the win-cons or finding a replacement for one of the tutors.

Unless they ban the lands

I can't imagine they would ever just kill tron in isn't even close to broken or dominant enough to warrant it.

The thing is,they don't seem to realize that the game is old enough to use old gimmicks full throttle. People would love them. Instead to get into modern, you have knowledge of 40+ keywords with vastly different impacts on eachother.

Sure, storm was over powered. But holy fuck did I have a blast playing it, and playing against it. It wasn't a memorization of keywords, it was checking out the board state and keeping track of the game. At least at my local shops, it's 1/3 of the people there, and everyone saying "judge!" When they full well know our judge is the TO who is playing. Because they needed an 8th man.

This started out differently than it ended.

Standard sucks and has for awhile, mainly due to game design.

>tfw there will never be a good Red or Blue Titan

Yes. Merfolk also needs to worry.

What's the over/under on Gideon getting banned?

doubtful but it probably should have been banned over something like copter, IMO

Gideon will remain unbanned

Close enough.

Are you kidding me? Inferno Titan is a good card

This is garbage fit only for standard

This card is excellent for any storm deck in any format or spellslingers. only format its bad for is modern I think there are better alternatives

Edh tier garbage

How? It's snappy 5-8, how is this bad?

Always interesting when a Modern scg open has more viewers than a magic hosted standard gp stream.

Lmao no it isn't

That's because wizard's coverage is complete asscheeks compared to SCG streams that have actual, competent, commentators.

Wew lad

Not just scg cobber. Last years modern gp vancouver was on thr same days as a standard gp in the US (That a lot of pros were at).

Modern GP had consistently over 10,000 viewers, standard around 4000

turning in thread
looks like Mishra's Bauble and Thought Knot Seer will be the March 13 bans for modern.
source: a leak via MTGO

Thoughtknot? Fuck off shill. Deck isnt oppressive. Card isnt oppressive

>It's snappy 5-8

If they only ban uncommons like snake, cat and motorist then only Saheeli-fags lose money because she becomes worthless again. Balista is only used in Mardu because it's great in the mirror because everything in mardu has no health.

LOL I made this up you moron

Opal banned, artifact lands unbanned.

Wizards doesn't do switch bans

Standard: no bans. Working as intended :^)
Modern: unban twin, unban stoneforge. There are so many new tools to stop twin that it's nowhere close to a problem. Twin will also drive snapcaster(read:mm17) sales, as well as bring blue back into the format. Stoneforge potentially brings some versatility into a format dominated by fatties cast dirt cheap. SFM would be a trial unban.
Legacy: no changes to the perfect pure format.
Commander: this is not a format.

>Wasnt supposed to exist

But people dont even play it? I havent seen jeskai decks get much traction in standard compared to mardu vehicles or mardu counters.

If wotc is going to make a major shakeup unbanning, the release of mm 2017 is going to be the time. Preorder your snapcaster now, goyim. The FUN color will reign again.

4c cat combo has put up some results, but you're correct that it isn't super popular. Lots of players see a one dimensional deck that does to shock/disintegration and call it bad.

I think they probably knew the combo when they released it. They were most likely a) probing for the viability of combo in a controlled (small) standard environment with counters available to four colors (not green lol) and b) giving themselves a viable escape hatch if they needed to panic ban it.

Yes please Wizards, ban Mox Opal. Make it easier for me to get a foil again (fucked up and waited too long for one).

>those numbers
If you've ever wondered why corporate Wizards has no fucking reason to improve the quality of their coverage, there's your reason.

Only reason why SCG has such good coverage is because that business is privately owned - and the guy probably cares that quality matters. Say what you will about secondary market bullshit, at least they care about producing quality content.

They should un-ban the banned standard cards.

>ban Thoughtseize in Modern

Rev up those Ad Nauseam decks because nothing is stopping the combo train.

Standard: n/a
Modern: ban: ancient stirrings for the same reason you banned ponder and preordain
unban: jtms and bloodbraid
legacy: n/a
vintage: restrict paradoxical outcome

Snappy comes in turn 3, Blue hulk is turn 6, and snappy can hit sorc. If I have to explain why this is significant, you need to play the format more.

Standard: Nothing
Modern: Nothing
Legacy: Nothing
Vintage: Nothing

In THEORY. I don't think they would ban anything from Standard, that would just go against their incentive to push Standard right now and another ban would just weaken trust in WotC and the format(not like there's much in there to begin with.)

I think its decent, but its too slow and their isnt enough control to protect the combo I believe. If you have a combo deck getting it off turn 2 or 3 is a must, but turn 4 tap out is a bit slow with the removal available in this set.

I dont see BBE getting unbanned, especially with such strong cards that will buff jund having just been printed.

>not green
Just fog it :^)

>legacy
>perfect
U avin a giggle m8?

Do you always make shit up?
Copy cat is right behind Mardu vehicles with a grossly large meta share

>This is garbage fit only for standard

It's Vintage playable.

So is slash panther. Get outta here

>Commander
>not a format
Nigga you need to get off that pedestal youve sat your pasty ass on.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The more important point than the actual deck's performance is that they printed a two card infinite combo that *didn't break the format.* That means that combos are back in the 'fair game' design space for the near future. They absolutely won't be in every standard, but they're no longer off limits and that's pretty exciting for the format.

Oh, I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten my :^)

but for real, it's not
are duel decks? No.

Fair enough, I havent looked up standard's meta share recently and I was just saying based off what was played at a few ditfferent tourneys I saw a few weeks ago which were filled with mostly Mardu vehicles and BG or GW aggro decks.

Theres a big difference from duel decks and the commander format. Even WotC acknowledges it as a format.