Is it possible for a baseline human to ascend to Daemonhood?

It's extremely difficult for Space Marines, I can't comprehend how a baseline human would be able to impress the Chaos Gods enough.

Are there any fluff examples of baseline humans ascending or defeating Space Marines in single combat? How could a baseline human hope to ascend to Daemonhood if they can't even defeat a Space Marine in single combat?

Genghis Khan

Yes, there are plenty of examples of humans ascending.
In Rogue Trader for instance is details how a lazy (and i do mean lazy) imperial voidsman accidentally spread a virulent plague across an entire Imperial Navy fleet, and thas was awarded daemonhood by Nurgle.
There is also mention of a human sorcerers that corrupted the Word Bearers Chaplin (who would later go on to corrupt Lorgar), who also ascended into daemonhood with a grant ritual.

Well yeah, there's Doombreed, but he ascended before there were Space Marines to compete with, I don't know how a baseline human can hope to compete with literal paragons of humanity.

Huh, that's interesting. I suppose it depends on more than straight up combat prowess and psychic ability.

Yes, a human can ascend to daemonprincedom, at which point they can beat the crap out of most space marines

Hell, I think the guy that wounded Horus while daemon-possessed was pretty much all human

Except for Khorne combat prowess isn't that important. I feel like the majority of Slaaneshi Daemon Princes are probably planetary governors who orgied themselves into it.

Also in the story Warden of the Blade there's a Guardsmen sergeant that ascends to be a daemon princess of Slaanesh.
It didn't last long though because the Grey Knights came and beat the shit out of her.

I'm pretty sure there are also quite a few examples in FFG's Black Crusade books.

I always had the feeling that ascension to daemonhood was a scaled thing.
Ghengis didn't get in because space marines weren't made yet, he got in because there was no way he could fight space marines. The level of effort stays the same, the size of the actual accomplishment changes depending on what's realistic.

A crippled young girl in a hive world with terminal cancer on chemo, no working legs, one lung, and no hearing could be promoted by Khorne if she kills 100 people with her bare hands, whereas a space marine would have to kill off entire swaths of galaxy in single combat just to get noticed.

Better question: Why the fuck does chaos just give Daemonhood to Humans? Why not animals too?

I once had a Lord of Change that was actually a devious colorful chicken that got promoted because it unintentionally caused a famine, and now it hosts a hidden Tzeentchian Sorceror library on an Agriworld, hidden in a barhouse where no one would EVER fucking look.

It's been going good for centuries now.

It's like that time we talked about a Khorne Champion who was a living Hawkwasp nest and the souls of the fallen joined the faces of his hornets, and he was generally PAIN incarnate with angry red Khorne hawkwasps and his dual chain axes and shit

>Why the fuck does chaos just give Daemonhood to Humans? Why not animals too?

Animals are boring as fuck.

As long as we're talking about animals, are there any Xenos Daemon Princes?

You'd have to be extremely exceptional. If you managed to out-kill Angron/Skarbrand/Kharn/etc, you're likely to attract Khorne's attention. He cares little beyond martial ability. Tzeentch would probably love a hell of a good planner & troll. Just beat his 7th edition WHFB Daemons army with Tomb Kings of something. Nurgle demands absolutely filthy people, so much you'd likely get an STD just by looking at them. Consider Chris-Chan. Slaanesh means you'd be a hedonistic fuck who gets an orgasm from anything. Depravity is a nice bonus. Pic related is what Slaanesh wants.

Is it the same person, clones, family members with the same fucking name over and over again.

> Ocean Flatworms.
> Animals with penises in their fucking mouth that harden into stabbing points that can kill.
> Animals that are entirely hermaphroditic.
> Animals that every time they see another enter a martial trance and attack each other with their sword penises until one or both is either dead, impregnated, or both.
> Slaanesh not fucking loving this.
> Boring.

Be'lakor presumably, since he's specifically mentioned as being around before humanity existed.

>Animal with no conception of pleasure or excess
>Interesting

No it's one dude who keeps fucking his daughters and granddaughters. He's not actually the same age like the chart shows, he is older and middle aged with long hair and sunglasses by the time he's fucking his great great great etc.

Be'lakor is a human from another dimension.

> Animals can feel pleasure and indulge in excess like anyone else, but they just can't truly *savor* it, like sentient beings can.

There was Mamon. He was ascended by Nurgle for orchestrating the whole Vraks conflict.

There is no such thing as ascending to daemonhood, you can only descend you filthy heretic

No, that's stupid and so is anyone who believes it.

How's it stupid?
He's from the Warhammer Fantasy Planet in the Age of Sigmar universe.

Not that user, but Be'la'kor has been around long before Age of Sigmar was a thing.

Those universes are not the same things user.

I never said he wasn't.
But he is from the Age of Sigmar universe since before it was known as such.

Of course, as I said he is a human from another universe.

But wasn't Be'la'kor a thing in Oldhammer?

Yes. He's from the Warhammer Fantasy world which was in the wider AoS universe.

But how does that correlate with Be'la'kor's presence in Warhammer 40k? He's existed in setting for millions of years before humanity, are you implying that Age of Sigmar takes place in another dimension millions of years before Warhammer 40k took place?

Warhammer Fantasy is in the universe that existed before the AoS universe.

No sapience. Why not grand demonhood to a boulder that killed a mountaineer that would have become a living saint, while we're at it.

Yes. But 40k is humanocentric.
You got entire races of chaos-worshipping xenos, and yet the main codex is CSM.
I think there's one pic of nurglite orks, and one chaos eldar.

>Why not animals too?

Are beasts of Nurgle animals that have been "acended" so to speak?

>In Rogue Trader for instance is details how a lazy (and i do mean lazy) imperial voidsman accidentally spread a virulent plague across an entire Imperial Navy fleet, and thas was awarded daemonhood by Nurgle.

Aw man I remember that story, I fucking loved that guy.

Its the same warp, which has timey whimey bullshit shenanigans.

SPOILERS

Eisenhorn omnibus: Daemonhost Cherubael

>Why not animals too?
No sapience or emotions and can't worship the gods. They don't provide the emotional "food" for chaos.
A lion doesn't kill because of anger, it kills because its hungry or defending itself/its territory. Which is uninteresting to the chaos gods

there are plenty of animals that suicide because of sadness / depression tough (e.g. dolphins and dogs)

what about monkeys?

>are you implying that Age of Sigmar takes place in another dimension millions of years before Warhammer 40k took place?

Different dimensions have their own timeline.
There is no unifying time.
So when you travel to another dimension all you'd have to do is choose an earlier point.

Isn't Cherubael just a Daemonhost though and not an actual Daemon Prince?

>No sapience. Why not grand demonhood to a boulder that killed a mountaineer that would have become a living saint, while we're at it.

Rocks for the rock god!

Bringing a whole new meaning to rock and roll!

BUT WHY

There's a 1/1,000,000,000 chance you'll be able ascend, and a 999,999,999/1,000,000,000 chance you'll fail, die, and suffer eternal damnation. It's possible, just not for your average rank-and-file cultist.

According to my calculations, it happens approximately 1 in 66 times for your average cult leader.

Obviously.

There was this one chick who literally ate the entire population of a planet then was given apotheosis by Slaanesh.

(OP)
>Is it possible for a baseline human to ascend to Daemonhood?
Even a chaos spawn has managed to do that
>impress the Chaos Gods enough.
You don't have to impress them. Being amusing is enough

Is there something in the fluff about that? Sounds pretty interesting to read.

>no emotions
wrong. science just recently proved them at even bees feel. bees can bee happy.

reminds me of a guy in ASoIaF who does that, and sacrifices his sons to the local daemon equivalents

he was a prince turned into a deamonhost by trapping the daemon in a mans body, he and others i fluff ruled over primitive planets.

I think the thing to understand is the gods dont operate on our logic, you might get spawned even if you are a great champion, its all whim.

What chapter? I got my Rogue Trader RPG Core book somewhere around here.

I thought Daemon Princes are mere mortals that achieved daemonhood through qhatever means necessary by the gods? There are other mystery daemons like corax utterblight and samus who as far as i know didnt necessarily have origins, just a history of possessing mortals. Belakor could have just been a mortal of any kind who achieved the favour of the gods.

>Bel'akor was Jesus.

Parasites? Brain Malfunction? Werner Herog's presence? Shoggoths?

Did not fuck his son on the final level. Slaanesh is disappointed.

They do. There's a story somewhere about a kingdom on some planet that was total abject poverty outside the castle, lavish decadence within the castle. Some fly got on the food of a giant banquet, ended up poisoning the guests. Slaanesh was so amused by it, It elevated the fly to daemonhood.

>No sapience
At first. Maybe a chaos god would make a few minor improvements to an animal which killed one of their enemies. With said improvements, it could kill even more effectively until things escalate to daemonhood.

We don't know that. We just know he didn't have children with his sons.

You wont impress the Chaos gods by just concentrating on one of their many domains. Nurgle wouldnt care how filthy you are if u dont embrace the decay of everything. Slaanesh wont reward u with a demonknot if you dont Strive for perfection in your tortureparties tzeentch doesnt care how much of a troll you are if you dont show any interest into arcane secrets or sorcery. Khorne will punish you if you kill without honour

>Are there any fluff examples of baseline humans ascending or defeating Space Marines in single combat?

In one of the Cain short stories which later ties into a novel, you have a psyker servant of Slaanesh who becomes a Daemonette after dying; although we don't get that much about what she was doing before her final confrontation with Cain and Jurgen.

Once she becomes a Daemonette though, she's pretty powerful. She tears apart a pair of CSM without even really trying.

>How could a baseline human hope to ascend to Daemonhood if they can't even defeat a Space Marine in single combat?

Why do you think the Chaos Gods choose Daemons by abilities in direct personal combat, which will become fairly irrelevant once they become Daemons anyway?

The cadian chick that made the word bearers fall to chaos ascended to daemonhood.

Slaanesh already made him a daemon by that point.

Battle fleet Koronus, I believe? Or maybe Faith and Coin.

this guy did fine impressing the dark gods.

As you know, madness in the Imperium is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Besides Khorne I don't see it being any harder for humans to ascend than astartes. Ascension is usually acquired through some bigger picture shit, not just personal body count.

>implying the Jester of Genocide isn't a Harlequin Solitaire on a tear

On this topic, Liber Chaotica actually stated that neither the Winds of Magic nor the Chaos Realm can be sustained by the measly emotions of animals.

Marine physiology lets them gain more mutations before collapsing into a mass of tentacles and shit, and they're generally better equipped for survival, so there's a higher chance for one to live long enough to do enough stuff for the Chaos Gods to gift him with daemonhood.

>A crippled young girl in a hive world with terminal cancer on chemo, no working legs, one lung, and no hearing could be promoted by Khorne if she kills 100 people with her bare hands, whereas a space marine would have to kill off entire swaths of galaxy in single combat just to get noticed.

I don't think the relativism goes that far, she still has to get noticed above all the hordes of killers in the galaxy. Also, the gods are fickle, just because you get noticed doesn't mean you're on the fast-track to princedom. The whims on the gods could see your successes turn you into a spawn.

>Are there any fluff examples of baseline humans ascending or defeating Space Marines in single combat?
Yes to both.

>How could a baseline human hope to ascend to Daemonhood if they can't even defeat a Space Marine in single combat?
Khorne does not give a fuck where the blood comes from, as long as you keep it coming.
Slaanesh wants ever greater excess.
Nurgel wants to spread his gifts and spread stagnance.
Tzeentch wants change.

No one of them says "You have to kill a Marine."
That been said a long term mortal servant of the Dark Gods can off marines quite well.

Still no soul :DDDD

Those exist, but the focus of the setting is on humans.
There are plenty of xeno empires serving chaos.