EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Banned cards edition.

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What, if any, changes would you make to the ban list if you were put in charge of it today?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgcommander.net/rules.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unban biorhythm

ban craterhoof first

Add cyclonic rift
Take off worldfire

>What, if any, changes would you make to the ban list if you were put in charge of it today?
The "Banned as Commander" list is back
Emrakul is still regular banned though.
Prophet of Kruphix is Unbanned
Limited Resources is Unbanned
Primeval Titan is Unbanned
Sundering Titan is Unbanned
Sylvan Primordial is Unbanned

All these probably Banned again in 3-6 months but might as well try them out.

>What, if any, changes would you make to the ban list if you were put in charge of it today?
None. Things are fine right now.

And I can't wait for people to start calling for absolutely retarded bannings/unbannings in this thread. You've open a real can of worms here, OP

Nah, the list is shit. It's really incoherent. I wish they'd just remove it entirely so strangers I might want to play with won't be compelled to follow it.

They should either ban overpowered cards or be more hands-off. None of this "ban some power but leave shit like Mana Crypt legal because I own one," from Sheldon.

What would you ban/unban?

>inb4 Sol Ring

Worldfire just makes oloro players impossible to kill.

>new EDH Group, second time playing with them
>player 1 goes: Oh, I'm only with my Commander for EDH Duel here, I hope you guys don't mind (Gaddock)
>player 1 goes Forest, Wordly Tutor, Rofellos
>wtf?
>Lightning Greaves Turn 2
>Roffelos, Equip Greaves, Tangle Wire.
>Before we can play our first turn without Tangle Wire, he was casting Craterhoof Behomoth on a board with 7~8 elves.

Okay, so I'm in clear disavantage here. I want to make an stupid EDH French list deck with dumb stuff like Balance. I'm thinking about Hanna, what else you guys recommend?

Mana crypt/vault.

Why didn't you just ignore him after he lost turn one?

>All these probably Banned again in 3-6 months but might as well try them out.
Thank god you're not in charge

I'd ban Emrakul but unban it as a commander.
Also ban demonic and vampiric tutor.

Rofellos is banned so tell him to get fucked

REMOVE DEADEYE NAVIGATOR remove deadeye navigator

>The following cards are also banned from being played as a commander :

>Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.Edric, Spymaster of Trest.Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.Marath, Will of the Wild.Oloro, Ageless Ascetic.Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary.Tasigur, the Golden Fang.Yisan, the Wanderer Bard.

>Current banlistCartes actuellement bannies | Duel Commander

You were rused.

Obvious bans:
Sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, Grim monolith.

Unban: Braids, Cabal Minion,

That's all. If you disagree you're a turboautist.

unban everything

only crybaby bitchboys like banlists

unban everything
Ban island

Honestly, I would probably all the cards that are restricted in Vintage/banned in Legacy. But that's only if I had to choose right now without knowing more. So yes, in after Sol Ring.

Banlists are for competitive formats, and are supposed to change a metagame to be more balanced. EDH, as it currently is, is designed to be a casual format, and as such, it doesn't need an official banlist. I think their philosophy is backwards. It shouldn't be "Play with these cards if you agree to do so." It should be "Ban whichever cards you deem necessary." The Rules Committee does a shit job of trying to balance power and fun, so I feel they should just fuck off at trying to do either.

Anyway, this is really only a problem because so many people are compelled to listen to Sheldon as opposed to thinking about what they want out of their games themselves.

Unban:
Library of Alexandria
Painter's Servant
Sundering Titan
Trade Secrets
Worldfire

Ban:
Cyclonic Rift
Deadeye Navigator
Iona, Shield of Emeria
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Necropotence
Sol Ring

Bring back Ban as Commander but allowed in 99:
Braids, Cabal Minion
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic

Ban Cyclonic Rift
Ban Paradox Engine
Ban Consecrated Sphinx
Ban Gaea's Cradle
Ban Iona, Shield of Emeria
Ban Tooth and Nail
Unban Biorhythm
Unban Sway the Stars

Opinions.

Good job driving up the price of snow-covered islands starcity jew.

>a new player at the LGS asks if he can play banned cards
>meta is pretty casual but then again he's new so we are on the fence
>he says it's nothing too degenerate or unfun
>he plays a t1 Braids on the first game

I didn't really care about bans until this happened

>Painter's Servant
So you want to get T3 grindstone'd?

also, because reminded me they exist

Ban:
Consecrated Sphinx
Gaea's Cradle
Paradox Engine
Tooth and Nail

>It doesn't need an official ban list

It doesn't have an official ban list. It has a suggested ban list that most people follow and they follow it because they recognize as bad as stupid shit like Doomsday combo is, it gets way more degenerate without the banned list.

>Unban library of alexandria
You're out of your fucking mind. Have you ever seen it in vintage? The entire game starts to revolve around that single land, unbanning it is absolutely retarded.

The library is more overpowered than every card you want to ban combined. Also, the fact that you'd ban Iona and Deadeye while unbanning the library shows me that you honestly have no idea what the power level of the library actually is.

Forgot to add:

Ban Necropotence
Ban Doomsday
Ban Hermit Druid
Ban Imperial Recruiter

Watch the tears roll in.

>It doesn't have an official ban list.

>>>mtgcommander.net/rules.php
>The following is the official banned list for commander games.

>player uses 3+ cards to cast a 4 mana 2/2
>loses to their own smokestack
>threat gets removed and costs 6 maymays
>ok

Is your playgroup dumb or could you guys literally not beat it?

Can't beat 2 life a turn.
How's your shit son condition doing bro?

Oloro isn't even good in normal commander. The only issue with him is that you get value even if you never cast him but that's still weaker than having a commander that actively combo's with your deck like prossh.

>2 guarenteed life a turn from the start of the game, that has 0 interaction and the other players have 0 ability to stop in any way now that tucking isn't a thing, and even before when it was the Oloro player would just never cast him

Anybody out there know some low-key dirty shit for this bad boy?

Sheldon has always said that the ban list is a recommended guideline and to house rule for the meta you want. It's official in so much as it's the recommended default settings for Commander. If one of the creators of the format is encouraging you to defy the list it's hard to argue it's official like WOTC ban list.

There are several cards that stop or even reverse lifegain.

Which still isn't that good. In a casual game you'll just die of commander damage or die by some enormous alpha strike memehoof play so the 20~ life you gained doesn't even matter.

In a competitive game you juat get combo'd to death.

Oloro is not even that good of a commander, there's a reason why nobody plays him at higher levels. If you can't deal with him you're bad.

Edhrec

He's been explored to death and solved.

>having to pack specific cards to counter a specific general
>even then, have to tutor them up because more than likely won't start with them in hand
>also, they're all mono or part Red, so if your deck doesn't include R good luck

>low powered metas means the players are bad
>the average game has someone knocked out by the 10th turn
>pillowfort.dec draws no pillowfort
>people who don't play the format my way are shitters

Oloro is overrated but you're being insufferable.

and

Nonbo with the best card for Nekusar

Lifegain is pretty common.
Also they are not just red but also black.
I mean, you are not completely wrong. Frankly speaking cards that directly mention commander specific mechanics were a mistake in my opinion.

How so? Most of the cards in Nekusar are wheels, so higher hand size = more cards to wheel yea? Plus it's added damage on top of Neku if they don't use a removal on it.

There's a reason for why mana crypt is such an amazing card. Losing 1.5 life a turn isn't a big deal, that's the reason. Conversely, gaining 2 life a turn isn't that good either.

And if your meta is so low powered you can't punch through 20-30 extra life then maybe stopy playing craw wurm.dec.

Also, the pillowfort cards are irrelevant, they have nothing to do with the strength of Oloro.

And I don't give a fuck how you play the format, you can eat your cards and shit them out in confetti form for all I care.

The person that has a problem with how others play the format is the idiot that wants to ban a mediocre commander like Oloro.

Nekusar has 10-15 wheels. Not all of them make you discard and giving someone no max hand when you have nekusar/howling mine/temple bell out doesn't play nice with Waste Not. It's neat though and a less tuned Nekusar deck could run it with some success.

Wait, Braids is banned? What? Since when? She's literally shit.

I don't really understand why Griselbrand is banned either. Anyone who has ever played against him or as him knows it's extremely common to find him on the receiving end of a major ass whooping - and it's not like a CMC 8 is very cheap to get out. If by some chance you topdecked the exact right order of cards to get him out early you're still likely to find him simply countered. It's not like blue is an uncommon color in EDH.

>I don't give a fuck how you play the format
>stop playing crawwurm.dec

Holy shit
Never seen someone with such concentrated shit tier opions

Good job
>Muh deadeye
L2triggers
>Cyclonic rift
Who complains about this?
>World fire
Have you read this card?
I'm more surprised that anyone would want to play with it period
>Trade secrets
No way do you know what the meaning of King maker is?

Grisel is banned because "lol I pay 35+ life for that many cards"
Is essentially a black Enter the Infinite that, if allowed, would be recastable if killed because people'd run him as their commander.

Why is Tasigur banned as a commander in Duel Commander?

>Ban Cyclonic Rift
Waaaaah stop interacting with me!

>Life gain
Oh the horror!

>paraphrasing
If you don't want y don't do x.

t. Someone with a functional brain

One mana commander every time all the time in best colors. Fine when you have 3+ people to deal with it, not so much with 1v1 where you have to answer every threat along with a 1 mana 4/5 they play every turn.

>Deadeye
combo piece that you can't stop once out, and because lol Blue you can't stop even before its out because counters
>Cyclonic
the "strictly better Upheavel" card
>Worldfire
yes, and the fact that red is the objectively weakest color in EDH, and Decree of Annihilation isn't banned
>Trade Secrets
so don't take the bribe? just stop at "they draw 2 you draw 4"

Dreamalhalls
Don't cast him until you can wheel a couple times in a turn
Don't play shitty enchantments that draw opponents cards/deal damage.

>and it's not like a CMC 8 is very cheap to get out
>the exact right order of cards to get him out early
Holy fuck, have you never played a reanimation deck?

It's that how you keep your commander, user?

What happens if she gets hit by a Chaos Orb?

>unban Sundering Titan and Trade Secrets
>but ban Necropotence

You're one of those fags who plays shit like Painter Servant and goes "no guys, I totally use it with stuff other than grindstone, please stop focusing me:

>>World fire
>I'm more surprised that anyone would want to play with it period

It's an autowin with practically any flicker until EoT or other delayed trigger

I agree that in theory he can be terrifying, but I've only ever witnessed someone actually get him out onto the table once and by that point his player didn't have anywhere near 35 points of life to spend on drawing cards. You have to be genuinely retarded to sit down with any kind of monoblack player and allow them to abuse their life points.

Fuck duel commander.
If you wanna make commander a competitive format, group contestants in cages of 4 people each: 4 men enter, one leaves. The Thunderdome.
Worried about being backstabbed/bully? Politics are a core part of commander, bitch.

Gutshot > Quicken > Worldfire for cheeky win

>you can't stop once out
>He forgot to learn how triggers work
>He thinks cyclonic rift bounces lands
>Don't take the bribe
>Expecting people to be smart
I mean based on your comments I wouldn't trust you anywhere near a ryhstic study let alone a trade secrets

There's umpteen other mass bounce spells that aren't aggressively undercosted, modal, one-sided, and instant. Pretty sure you could adapt.

>Cyclonic rift
>Better than upheaval
You're shit
>can't stop deadeye navigator
You are the trash man.

>he doesn't know how to stop a DEN
>he doesn't realize how much more broken upheaval is
>he doesn't realize you can put together multiple colors
Kek

>unironically tucking a commander

There are sanctioned commander tournaments I've played at GPs that people were upset I won. There are prizes on the line and you expect me to play an intentionally bad deck?

7 may mays
>aggressively Under-costed
How shit are you?

>stop Soulbond trigger once
>they just flicker Deadeye or anything else through any other means, or cast/create any other creature, to re-trigger it
oh wow, you really got me there

Ban only the power 9, and make the ante cards legal. NOW THAT WOULD MAKE SHIT GET REAL.

It costs 9 Mana and it turns the game into who can be the last man on the stack with 1dmg

all you gotta do is unban Panoptic Mirror since Shaharazhad isn't banned
then play both and watch as everyone else gets rectally ragnarok'd

>what is Mindslaver?

>they just flicker Deadeye
By casting another spell?
You do realize that the soulbound trigger goes on the stack and can be responded to while the nav is on the battlefield, right?

>Deadeye is overpowered because you can bounce him with mist.eadow witxh if someone's trying to remove him
That must make boros the strongest color combination then, being able to dodge removal by flickering or making things indestructable, so strong!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!??!!!!111

You're unironically the worst magic player I've ever interacted with including the 11 year old who drafts 5 color 7-drop tribal at my lgs.

>ITT people who don't know the rules think they should make the ban list
Kalia too OP! Ban her because I can't deal with it!!!

Yes, and I'm saying that after you stop the trigger once they'll flicker it at any other point after your Stifle resolves and re-trigger it to get the combo going again.

>missing the point this hard
>getting so upset that you start spamming shit and making mistakes in typing, like Mistmeadow Witch being mist.eadow witxh

>le smug anime girl face xD

Why was this card banned?

>stop the trigger
You kill the creature we're not talking about stifle
You may as well say you will just counter the removal
Which is like being back in grade school and talking about how if your friend tried to punch him you would just kick him in the head first.

Try to live in reality user.

Because people are too stupid to realize that they're kingmaking if they get chosen, and they go on and say "yea, let's repeat that process 20 times"

>Shaharazhad isn't banned

wat.

Most people will go to lengths to protect their combo pieces

>He's missing the point
>when you're saying that a card is OP because you can protect it by flashing in creatures or bouncing it through other cards.

With that retarded logic anything could be OP.

Also the fact that you actually don't seem to know how to properly remove a DEN is hilarious, kill yourself.

This is an anime imageboard, filth.

>>>/Veeky Forums/
What did he mean by this
Ever played with rhystic study? Now imagine the same retard who won't pay the extra 1 Mana now allows one of your opponents to draw half of his deck, while he draws a quarter of his leaving the other two players in the dust.

mtgcommander.net/rules.php
Yea, it's not. Gonna lose you some friends if you play it, but you won't be breaking the rules.

That doesn't make the combo pieces overpowered you mong.
>"A is really overpowered"
>"But what if I just do B?"
>"Then I'll just cast C!!! See how OP A is?"

That's retarded. Cards aren't overpowered because you can protect them with other cards for god's sake.

Cool story
Let's ban all combo pieces then

Threads like these make me happy that none of you fucks work at WotC or are members of the RC.

Nobody tell user that some wincons are hexproof

BUT THE OFFICIAL (read MAGIC THE GATHERING.COM) WEB STATES IT'S BANED

Who do I listen to, user?

because Wizards doesn't make the rules for EDH
They defer to the mtgcommander.net people on EDH rules and bans.

>All this talk about Duel Commander, ban lists, and super-competitive decks with $100+ cards in them
>I have 13 janky/budgety decks that are all under $150 total value card-wise because I don't want to bother spending $30+ on shit like Blood Moon, Mycosynth Lattice, Crucible of Worlds, or shit that's on the reserved list.
>When your shitbrew Naya tokens deck you finished building the night before beats out the competitive decks at the table

Good to know I'm playing this game right

>Banning Iona

opinion discarded

>Not having a deck for every powerlevel
I pity the wastrels that will never know what this feels like

I have a friend that does this.
He makes janky decks for everything with only cards he already owns. Things like "pure deathtouch" or "pure first strike"
Also has made 1 or 2 EDH decks for literally every color combo there is. All 5 colors, all 10 2 colors, all 10 3 colors, all 5 4 colors, 5 color, and colorless.
Still manages to win rather often.

>1 or more other people can no longer play half or all of their decks
>fair