Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Review Edition

What have you done to improve your writing, and to help other Anons improve their writing? What would you like other Anons to help you with?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit
PS: Outdated, playtest should be out next week but that's not a promise.

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/poison-use-ex/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/adder-strike-combat/
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71197/spheres-of-might-unofficial-playtest-the-harrowing-modified
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4753579/ruse-applications
docs.google.com/document/d/1oCSM8Si9cD3hgqmUHFFI-EaR2dWBniEKQo_VTaUIcIw/edit
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67969/the-celestial-tournament
sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/races/warforged
youtube.com/watch?v=Jqz6fx1zob4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So if a Monk level dips to get Poison Use as a feature, what happens when they apply contact poison to their fists?

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/poison-use-ex/

Say, how do maneuvers compare to standard pounce charge with buffs and power attack

Was interested in trying PoW but given that maneuvers are generally standard action, I wonder about that

help me stop making anime girls

A lot more versatile and potentially more damaging. I actually prefer PoW and Vital Stike builds over full martials because it gives me a whole lot more to do than press my full-attack macro.

I still want to see the adventures of the Ruse Cruise Crew

it works

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/adder-strike-combat/

>The kids that Oracle has run around killing any attempts to be edgy

I will be running a Spheres of Might playtest game once the full playtest is released next week. Since N. Jolly would prefer "mid-range" optimization rather than high-end optimization, I have implemented some measures and restrictions to better enforce such a power level for characters.

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71197/spheres-of-might-unofficial-playtest-the-harrowing-modified

>What have you done to improve your writing
I've spent a lot of time trying to explain my own opinions to myself to help delve into WHY things are the way they are. For example, it gave me a pretty good insight into why humans are necessary, and why I fucking hate them 99% of the time.

It's not just about having something to relate to, but because SOMETHING has to exist as the baseline. If it wasn't humans, it'd be the next closest thing which would become the baseline. If it's close enough to a human, then why the fuck wasn't it just a human? And if you can't relate to ANYTHING, why the fuck did you even bother writing? If you need something to exist as the human baseline, then you might as well just have humans.

It's also why I hate it when somebody says "It's human but with pointy ears" or something similar. If an elf lives for 1000 years and humans live for 70, it doesn't matter if they're otherwise identical because that's a massive fucking difference. If elves live for 1000 years and everything else lives for 2000-10,000 years, then they're just pointy-eared humans, because they became the new baseline.

I haven't done anything special to improve as a writer, I just read a lot, and I mean A LOT of fantasy novels. Then I slowly began to understand the underlying dynamics of grammar and story. I haven't done anything to help others, and would love for someone to help me with my primary problem as a writer: pacing.

Personally I think elves are fine as long as the player makes use of their longevity or mysticism.

My problem is dwarves, gnomes, and halflings, who can't ever get far away enough from human. Like fuck, dwarves are long-lived too but one of their racial gimmicks is that they're long-lived and it doesn't matter for shit. Ridiculous.

Simple. Make an anime girl.

Then switch the character art.

>This Great Bamboozling crew
app.roll20.net/forum/post/4753579/ruse-applications
this is like some kinda sitcom in the making

For anyone interested, I'm writing a setting based off of the idea of an alternate universe America that is much weirder and stranger, and more conductive to a Pathfinder campaign.

Here's my current big block of unorganized notes for it .

docs.google.com/document/d/1oCSM8Si9cD3hgqmUHFFI-EaR2dWBniEKQo_VTaUIcIw/edit

If Not!Sanji actually makes it into this totally not-fake game I'm going to laugh forever.

>Thiccmom
>Crusadeslut
>Literally the douchebag older brother of Memedog
>Weebchild
>Battle chef
>Arsonist

It certainly is.

Shilling my Noiralog/Eberron E8 game one last time for tonight, then:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71015/a-generic-pathfinder-adventure-title

If you're hesitant about applying because of the SoM playtest coming out next week on friday, just apply the character themselves and you can do the crunch later when it comes out, it's no rush to get the applications 100% done due to the whole playtest coming out so soon, anyways. Better for me to get an idea of how many people want in then just people forgetting about it, anyways.

>TFW your heart cries out for you to put too much effort into a fake application for a meme fake game
>TFW your brain knows it won't be worth it

I thought about putting together the most serious application I could to see who believed it, but I lacked the strength.

Maybe you have it.

>P8 E8
Won't last long enough, can't get into the epic-scaled late levels, why live?

I don't get it. Everybody was like "Fuck yeah! Make the tournament happen!" And then I make the tournament happen, and a whole thread goes by with no replies and no response on the LFG. Did I fuck up again?

Another link, just in case it was missed!
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/67969/the-celestial-tournament

Because half of it's Eberron and there's plenty of pulpy shit that's well suited for lower levels then level 20 gods running around and rampaging.

Where's the GESTALT.

Where's the AVOWED.

It's better because the Thiccmom's children are there to fuck up absolutely any attempts at being edgy, this kills the memedog's older brother and the weebchild

Oho!

SPACE ANDROID TIME

DELET THIS. WHY CAN'T I RUN A GAME WITHOUT EVERYBODY BEING ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING BY THEMSELVES?

E6 and E8 are objectively shit and a cancer spread by pieces of garbage who can't competently DM. It's the reason that he still hasn't garnered much interest despite the fact that he's been shilling his game over several threads. If it weren't for the fact that he's using the most memed setting in all of D&D's history, he wouldn't have any interest at all.

I haven't put much effort into improving the writing of others, but I've improved my own writing by making less of it. It's easier and usually leads to my better characters when I only make a somewhat simple and vague outline, and expand on the initial ideas and thoughts based on the game.

Gestalt sure, but Avowed got nerfed super-hard; it could use some playtesting in its new form.

I mean

Memedog's brother seems like the kind of guy who, even though he's definitely some kind of Neutral or Lawful Evil, has a softspot in his heart for kids. Maybe he'll let them play with his knives!

Avowed is on /pfg/'s shit list, user. No new games are going to be allowing it until they get their shit right again.

Why not a Warforged, user? There's even a port of them for Pathfinder

sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/races/warforged

>thing desperately needs playtest
>but nobody is willing to allow it to be playtested it because it got dumpstered

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It didn't get nerfed /that/ hard. It just lost its SAD stuff and took some damage tweak-downs.

Bit more aggressive than I put it, but yea, pretty much this.

>when you do a complete rework of a sheet you never intended to apply with because you're autistic as fuck

Fun fact, Ascetic style mixed with greater unarmed strike, RAW, you don't need to go any further down the feat chain

>when you realize the weebchild's name is literally Kazuma spelled backwards

>just apply the character themselves and you can do the crunch later when it comes out
But the crunch helps inform me on what the character will be user! What makes someone become a Fighter is different from a Monk. And making a !Golarion character is far different from an Eberron one, and we don't even know which one we're starting in until "Session 0", so how are we supposed to know what character to submit?

I like how you say that like you're some sort of authority or objective truth.

Because she wasn't made on Eberron, user!

She's a biotechnological nanite infused construct produced by Aballonian Spider Robots as a special agent in their ongoing shadow war against the Dragons! And her past life as an Aethship pilot smuggling Androids along an underground railroad that ends in Numeria, where they can be free, she's the perfect candidate for Spelljammer Pilot!

But isn't Aballon in a different solar system than Eberron, at best?

But this game is beginning in Golarion, I thought?

...Worry about your fluff first, leave the crunch later like a normal person? The feat tax reductions and minor gestalt should make it so you don't even really need to majorly optimize beyond your ability scores, and even that's less of a worry due to 32 PB.

And now it's just an Eberron E8 game and not a noiralog/eberron game because jfc I have no idea how I can handle that much snowflake sanely. Probably also going to remove the spelljammer aspect too, possibly. Not sure yet.

>Want to throw my hat in the ring of meme games
>No ability to choose chargen rules
>Will be on vacation this sunday to next and unable to address questions
>Want to do it anyways because lewd dark fantasy

Well, you got a vacation to think it over before you post anything.

But I also want to open the apps to you guys over that week because I'm an impatient fuck.

do it

do wat u want

I spread rumours of the evilness of the count based on our current information about him among the guards and his subjects of the city as a Charlatan. Should I expect an uprising soon?

BECAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE

YOU ARE A PIRATE

>And now it's just an Eberron E8 game and not a noiralog/eberron game because jfc I have no idea how I can handle that much snowflake sanely. Probably also going to remove the spelljammer aspect too, possibly. Not sure yet.
>Dismissing a concept before you even see it properly fleshed out
>One that made the honorable mentions list in the other game it applied to
>Then SPECIFICALLY changing setting to screw that guy's concept over

Into the fucking trash that game goes.

I want to stop my horrible plight of procrastination and start getting my ass in gear. I'm not even close to done with my world building even though I said the campaign would be running a month ago...

> mfw that gif

How do you even mess up that badly?

Okay, fine user. Post what you know you want in and I'll make your chargen rules for you, then you can tweak them until you're happy with them.

You can make your game, open it up to apps, and make your first post that you'll be away on vacation and can't answer until you get back.

Then you can come back and tell everyone that vacation changed your priorities and you're not running anymore. But first, tell me what you know you want.

He's got someone he has to obey and that guy just ordered him to kill himself.
Also E RANK LUCK.

Which century should I take inspiration as a base for reference and inspiration?

High tech space robots with insane futuretech nanites built to dick over dragons in another fucking universe from where it was built doesnt fit with the game's theme I had in mind. I don't care if it had an honorable mention in some other game you applied to.

E RANK LUCK

R
A
N
K

L
U
C
K

Well that just raises the question of why he had to do it in such a flashy manner.

He didn't want to, he was ordered mid-flip. It's actually a pretty poignant moment.

His smile of confidence is because he was finally going to be given the duel he was promised, only to be cucked out.

17th century.

It's the last hurrah for heavy armor and the knight, the rise of absolute monarchies, the Byzantine growth of the HRE into a bureaucratic monster, and the explosion of religious violence that saw half of Europe burn in the Thirty Years War.

He was actually going to fight, and only gets the command off screen right before the looks of shock.
You should watch Fate/Zero, it's pretty good.

E rank luck

>Not gestalt
>power level such that listed CRs are a functional guide
>Avowed
>only humans and maybe half humans
>Focus on martials, perhaps no full casters at all
>I like guns aesthetically

All the good gods in the setting are either dead, or inactive to the point of being a natural law rather than an active god, or they are actually evil gods trying to destroy the world with monsters. So divine is kind of screwy?

I'm playing a small sized character for the first time - namely an Aasimar born from halflings in a hells rebels campaign.

He's a Paladin of Abadar.

I have no idea how to roleplay him, or aasimar in particular. The short version of his backstory is that he was born from halfling slaves who escaped in the bellflower network and were trying to start a new life... Aasimar attract attention in Cheliax so his parents reluctantly turned him over to the church of abadar (who either helped them start their new life, or quietly funded the portion of the bellflower network that got them out - because abadarian's don't like slavery / mistreatment of slaves).

Can anyone give me some ideas? He likes animals and I'm intending to go down a mounted combat path with him.

Also if anyone has any character art suitable for a small size aasimar / halfling knight/mounted character.

DUDE

HOW ARE YOU HANDLING GUNS

BECAUSE YOU'RE TRIGGERING EXCITEMENT IN ME FOR A CONCEPT

What a dick.

Also I've heard of Fate/Zero, but so far it's pretty off my radar in terms of shows on my chopping block.

Also on a completely unrelated note, can I just say that it pisses me off how gutted the pantheon is for anyone that's not a human or lives among humans? You'd think at least ONE dragon or something would have at least tried to ascend but apparently noooo, instead we get Caden.

Let's play a game, /pfg/.

Take your character's highest and lowest ability scores and switch those two numbers. Who does he become?

>character art suitable for a small size aasimar / halfling knight/mounted character.

Good fucking luck with that.

That's because Humans are destined for greatness. I'm not even kidding.

A dragon wouldn't think of becoming a God because a dragon thinks like a dragon. A dragon doesn't want to be a god, just the best dragon.

I don't know, but I want them

I might do the shitbag lazy thing and just say all bows are actually guns

He didnt actually mess up. He thought he was preparing for a great duel with the king of knights... and then he was magically ordered to kill himself

>Rinka
>Swap Int and Str

>suddenly she's a Rat Ogre

I never asked for this

Dex high, Cha low, swapped around, he becomes a Cha caster that can't hit the broadside of a barn with any of their spells.

There are two Dragon Gods already, Dahak and Apsu.

Oh, and Smaug in Five Kings Mountains.

It doesn't need to meet all criteria. Any of them work.

>Vigilante Warlock because I'm gimping myself in a small game.
>Switch Int and Strength
>Suddenly my character IMPROVES as a better Vigilante

Apsu and Dahak are both deities. Elves have their pantheon, Dwarves have Torag, who's pretty baller. Half-orcs tend towards Gorum while their full blooded companions worship Rovagug and Lamashtu. Even giants have their own pantheons.

Also think about it. Dragons are incredibly long lived, and extremely powerful. Ascension is a difficult, deadly, and not very successful endeavour. Why risk it?

What's the problem exactly? It seems like you got a pretty good idea of what you want to do. Set a 25 point buy and emerging firearms, make your race list, ban 9th level spell casters and you're good to go.

Human, Half-Elf, Half-Orc and Tiefling should cover your bases decently enough. Everyone has variable stats and shouldn't break your aesthetic goals. You can refluff the half-elves and half-orcs as having emergent corruption.

If you don't want to blanket ban inquisitors, warpriests and the like, just ask them to pick a domain and treat their power as being born of inner faith or something.

>Talathel's Charisma and Con switch
>all of his abilities shut off

Oh no

Dude, or you could use Guns Everywhere and have Advanced Guns!

If that's the case, how common should firearms be? Should armies be organised in Tercios, mercenaries, have cannons, and follow pike and shot tactics?

>Change settings to dick over character concept
>Declare that the character concept was built to dick over things in a different universe because it was made for the original setting.

???

I mean, you could have just said "Hey man, that's not a good fit" instead of rewriting history.

>...Worry about your fluff first, leave the crunch later like a normal person?
I am not a normal person, and you still haven't given much of anything besides "Eberron" to go off of, despite the fact that it's a very large world that can be a very different game depending where you are in it. It could be archeology pulp expedition in Xen'drik to high falutin' political intrigue in one of the Five Nations. If you want characters that make sense, give more specifics!

what about 3pp?

I want to make an Elven king who aspires to become the God of Elves, is this a smart idea?

Everyone thought he was going to fight. Except for the people working behind the scenes.

Seriously just watch fate/zero.

Lancer fights with two spears at the same time in an allegedly semi-accurate historical style and it's awesome.

Normally you crouch the long spear under your non-dominant arm and ward/slash/club with it and stab with the short spear in your main hand. It pairs a 6-8ft spear with a 4-5ft spear.

That's really dumb desu, back in the good ol' 3.5 days we had an entire pantheon (for example) just for dragons, even one for familial relations, and dragons aren't even that well known for having standard family ties like humanoids do!

If we don't forget Tiamat that brings us up to a total of 3. Forgive me if I don't contain my excitement at a selection that doesn't even give dragons that are LE or CG (or even just TN) someone to relate to. Heck, dragons are lucky they even get that many! How many races are there in Pathfinder that don't even get their own god and have to crib one from someone else?

this seems like a recipe for shenanigans

Are there any good 3pps out there for advanced firearm tech?

That's because it's an edit.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jqz6fx1zob4

You want avowed but you don't want other 3pp, so go with avowed and no other 3pp. I'm not super familiar with them but I don't imagine they're much better than the top of the tiers you'd have remaining. It sounds rough, but CotLT found players.

Include feat tax rules, any house rules you know you want, and maybe set up a 2 week deadline to start with the caveat that you can't answer questions until the second one. When you come back there probably won't be that many apps because a lot of people will wait for their questions to be answered, but you'll be able to sweep through those questions at once and advertise for the second week.

no guns are a disaster in pathfinder

They either rape bows out of the water or are garbage

Firearms back then were not quite rifled yet had still completely supplanted the bow and arrow in military use. If you were using a ranged weapon in a battle, it was a musket or pistol. Mercenaries organized into Spanish Squares and/or pike and shot would be the norm.

Read up on the Thirty Years War for the ultimate example of an Adventurer's Paradise... And a breeding ground for monsters.

What would be the reaction if I paint an the sigil of an evil rival god on the walls of the church with goat blood? How likely is that stuns like this cause a conflict or a witch-hunt?

Something focused on Khorvaire, set in 998 YK. So far the only player to talk to me is having an old man Dwarf Fighter whose adventuring to cross it off a bucket list. I'm sure you can think of something, especially with the feat tax reduction document and minor gestalt being in play.

Good and Neutral dragons worship Apsu and only some evil dragons revere Dahak (most worship themselves.)

You don't NEED a Neutral dragon god.

Oh my god, user. Please, don't pick until at least tomorrow night. I have a concept I think you will love but I'm currently in bed and can't post it.

So say I just want to replace bows altogether, give me something.

Guns now do dex to damage by default, are martial.