/wip/ - Painting, Sculpting and Converting General

Paint your backlog edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Walking into your FLGS like
youtube.com/watch?v=9rx0eqQl8wk

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Workshop-Warhammer-40K-Honoured-Imperium-BNIB-New-Sealed-Scenery-Statue-GW-/262844118160?hash=item3d32baf490
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Honoured-Imperium
mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-amazons
forlornhopegames.com/collections/28mm-fantasy/amazons
us-store.warlordgames.com/products/amazon-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Working on a librarian conversion to ally in with my sisters - how does it look so far?

Worried that having the bike the same colour as her armour just leaves the model with not enough contrast.

Any tips on converting up Flayed Ones from Warriors?

I was thinking of building a warrior as is, but without their guns and instead i'll use Plasticard to make claws/talons for their hands instead.

I have a bunch of unpainted CSM models but Im unsure of what Legion I want to paint them up as. Im torn between Black Legion and Word Bearers

Anyone got any pictures of Spess Shurks an user posted a while back.
I remember he posted them for one of those "show how much you improved" posts. One of them was in Mark 7 armor and had very smooth white paint on the front of the faceplate.

They looked really good and I wanted to copy his scheme for a fun little one off squad I was planning to make.

Either are fine, but Word Bearers are close to my heart since their color scheme is so similar to Flesh Tearers.

Please motivate me to keep going.
I want to fucking die
I've been here for like 3 hours trying to neaten up this camo, I haven't even done the shading or anything, and the red and white stripes are giving me cancer

Anyone know a good replacement for imperial guard arms, im planning on converting guardsmen to cultists but finding melee arms is tough. i know of the forgeworld ones and people use maruader arms but i think the big muscles dont suit them. any ideas?

chaos cultist arms?

they are shitty push to fit and just bad molds in general otherwise i would just go with regular cultist

Lotta work and parts put into a trolling mini but it looks good, weathering and using different tones of shade should solve the contrast issue for you though.

Victoria Miniatures has bare arms and prisoner arms with rags and chains around them.
Those might do the trick for yo, though she doesn't have that many melee arms.

You could also try to bits buy some beastmen arms or buy a boy of frostgrave soldiers/cultists/barbarians. The boxes are packed with bits and you can even use the crossbow arms with a bit of converting with lasguns. Most loadouts are melee weapons for obvious reasons though (Frostgrave being a game without black powder weapons).
And the bodies and heads are 1:1 compatible with GW stuff.

Just finished a Devilgaunt test scheme. C&C? I know the white came out a little thicc, but I can probably hone my skill on the other 40 I have to paint.

Is your masking not helping? Like is it bleeding through or something? I normally use blue painter's tape and that gives me a crisp line every time

looks lovely.
If you keep you the standard of painting across the whole army you're gonna have a pretty spectacular force.

Your motivation is a plastic tub and a half a container of superclean.

Give it a smooth recoat of primer and start over. The motivation is to make it look better than what it looks like right now. Slap that big ol' picture over your workstation right next to your mandatory Duncan photo and get to work. The detail and smoothness you will recover by stripping will be worth it in the long run.

il look into them, cheers

Hey tg, haven't done any modeling or painting with warhammer since I was a kid, picked up some cheapo soldiers to test on, what went wrong? I thinned my paints and tried to layer and highlight properly, but it just looks like arse, any tips on where I cocked up would be appreciated

Sorry about the orientation, my bad

Stripping isn't necessary until it starts to become thick (it's just messy atm), and it's already been stripped twice so it's slowly becoming damaged (GW black primer melts into the plastic causing repriming to permanently increase thickness, the more you know)
I can probably recover it, once I finish the tank excluding details and weathering I'll post it here and decide then if it's worth stripping.
Yeah it bled through and barely stuck to the tank. I used generic white masking tape though. Might try that stuff on my next tank

The more egregious fault was probably the filesize, have mercy on poor rural posters like me.

Light paints can be tricky. They tend to crumb up and give you that kind of chalky look. The way I get around that is putting on one last, ultra thin finishing layer and that tends to smooth it out. Also maybe it's just the lighting, but it looks like you're lacking shading too. (Despite those pots of shade in the background) All of the colors just look flat.

I used shade but it made the model look a little messy, so I "neatened" up all the blotchy splodges, should I just shade carefully into the creases rather than just go wild?

Thanks! I just need to keep my motivation up to get the rest of these buggers done.

there you go buddy

On smaller guys like guardsmen, You can all over shade their clothing and then neaten up with edge highlights. As a Nid painter, I know the woes of trying to carefully shade tiny models, "just hitting the recessed areas" on guardsmen will have you committing sudoku in no time

>those long curvy legs
>that forward lean
>that not-a-fucking-bowlcut-straight-bangs-basic-bolter-bitch haircut

What a cutie. That's not even mentioning the very attractive and clean paintjob.

For that particular colour scheme, what colour would I be best priming? Last time I checked there was chaos black and skull white but I blinked and there are 6 million spray paints now

Definitely pick up some blue painter's tape. I've been fucked over numerous times by regular masking tape.

Anyone know where I can buy women in bikinis to serve as a base for Blood Bowl Amazon conversions?

Thanks user!

It looks like you're on the right track though, just gotta keep practicing those skills like brush control and thinning to the right consistency. By the time you've painted your way through a few guardsmen you should be doing great.

/wip/ I beseech thee

I am in search of a Honored Imperium model. I am hoping to find the statute of the space marine.

My father is on a 2-8 month clock before cancer kills him. I want to find and paint one of the statues in his honor and memory and hope to showcase it to him before his death.

If it's hollow, I hope to use it as an urn for a portion of his ashes so he may eternally watch over his son upon the field of battle.

I'll plug Rustoleum auto primer until the day I die. They make it in a light grey in your case. It goes on even, leaves a nice matte finish, and acrylics stick to it like shit to a blanket.

Cheers mate, ill stick an update on when I have painted one thats a marked improvement, see you in a few decades

There are a few pewter Amazon minis I could point you to, but I think you might have the best success in a conversion from picking up something like a Dark Eldar Wyches kit, removing the edgy spikes to taste, and replacing the elf heads with some female human heads from a third party company.

that's actually a great idea--though bikini was more what I was going for. Can I see the pewter minis anyway?

I assume your looking for just the statue part but I did find this.
ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Workshop-Warhammer-40K-Honoured-Imperium-BNIB-New-Sealed-Scenery-Statue-GW-/262844118160?hash=item3d32baf490

witch elves?

Thigh high boots aren't exactly amazon-y, but they're plastic, dynamic enough for blood bowl, and have bikinis.

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Honoured-Imperium

Dis cheaper

>$40 shipping

fucking britbong jews

wyches are pretty close

also some of the dark elves for fb/aos

So a friend wants a Dante (Blood Angels) but hates the official minis, any idea how to build one from different parts that looks cool? I was thinking on using parts from Age of Sigmar stormcasts but they pretty big

so it it. on the US site its out of stock so i just looked elsewhere

Fuck man that's some real shit right there. If you get one, post updates.

Those are fucking awesome. Does anyone know where I can get helmets?

mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-amazons
forlornhopegames.com/collections/28mm-fantasy/amazons
us-store.warlordgames.com/products/amazon-1 (there's a couple more sets of them on here, this is probably your best option)

Only the last one there is bikini-wearing amazons. The big struggle with getting cheesecake minis is that they're usually only found as single specialty minis in pewter or some other material with a low setup cost, and often near-impossible to convert thanks to it, which was why I recommended the Wyches. Say what you will about GW, but their plastic kits are super easy to work with.

Stormcasts are almost the same size as a terminator, for a HQ like Dante that'll be a perfect size. I say go for it

If guilliman didn't have so much fucking iconography and inlaid detail he'd be modeled into my dad.

My marines are Fist successors and my dad actually sort of looks like Dorn. not really

I just emailed GW hopefully they'll help in someway.

What kind of helmets?

Look at Sanguinary Guard parts. Stormcast legs should be fine, makes the marine taller.

they come with death-mask style helmets in the box, as well as punch-spike-style shields

alternative option would be the high elf shadow warrior helmets, but all the bits places seem to be out of them

Pray to Duncan

It's in stock in my region (Aus). If you want I could order one now and express mail it to you once it turns up. I can't guarantee that'll get it to you faster than waiting for fresh stock, but I'm happy to help out if you want.

Duncan has answered our prayers

I've looked through every bits site I could think of, but can't find any 28mm football helmets, let alone female ones. Maybe you should get some regular female heads, greenstuff a helmet over the top, and add the visor with some fine jeweler's wire or something.

Good idea. Thanks, /wip/. I'll be picking up some witch aelves soon.

[email protected]

toss me an email. i'll get back to you within a week or so (so as to give GW a chance to respond over the weekend)

Is that a yes, or are you not him?

"550 No such person at this address. Make sure you entered the address correctly and that you sent it to the proper domain."

Was it mistyped or just dead?
Maybe you should just email me, at [email protected]

Woops, mybad. It was [email protected]

it is likewise a throwaway account.

Just finished this pupper, and getting ready to start on it's bigger brother

This user has the right idea.
What I really like about conversions is that you can think outside the box and be creative. Sure you can simply glue bits from different figures together, but play around with green stuff like he recommended.

a little jelly

that tank makes a perfect damocles, and the pimp raider's commander is the coolest

A fun little model to paint. I went a little off the beaten path with the mask -- I was going for some sort of otherworldly valkyrie style thing, some sort of crazy nordic warrior woman. Most people paint this model as some sort of celt, which I can see, but for me something about her just said nordic so I went whole hog on the blue mask and golden hair.

Reporting because I wasn't able to ask the anons kind enough to give me feedback to elaborate.

First run with an airbrush, this is much harder than I thought. I tried my hand at zenithal highlighting and light blending but the white came out powdery and dull instead of deep and bright.

Two anons said I needed to glaze everything to bring the colors together and that I was using the wrong colors, but I'm not 100% where it was I went wrong in my color choice.

They told you to glaze because a blue glaze will saturate your blue, making it brighter. It will also tint your white highlights blue. Your problem right now is your dark blues are very dark, your white is not even blue, and you have very little mid-tone blue which is what's going to give you a vibrant blue.

So you're what, 40% too dark of a blue, 40% glaring white highlights, and 20% blue? Your model needs to be like at least 60% bright blue if you want a bright airbrushed model.

You COULD glaze it if you want. It's an easy all over process that will also wash the crevices for you.

What I would do, however, is either do all your shading and highlighting work with black and white BEFORE spraying blue, as most airbrushers do, OR simply cut back on the white highlights and use more bright blues. Your last highlight that's sprayed should be a light blue. Pure white highlights should never be airbrushed on unless it's a very tiny spritz on the very top tips of the model. If you ever bring your highlights all the way up to pure white, you're going to be doing it with a paintbrush on the edge highlights. White as a zenithal is NEVER the final product, it is a pre-shade.

I'm concerned about what you're holding on to the mini with (it appears to be nothing). How is your thumb & index finger not acting as a mask?

I decided to line my mans up to see if my layering is even visible.

What I have here is primed in corax white.
averland base > av/yriel 50/50 > av/yriel 25/75 > yriel/gitz 50/50

Can you tell? Am I doing something wrong?

They look yellow. It's a nice yellow, but I personally don't see any layering.

>holds the head
>sprays
>holds the feet
>sprays

Come on now

>Uses an alligator clip, doesn't gave to juggle his minis

Even the alligator clip will mask something on the model if you don't have a bamboo stick or paper clip or something stuck in it. What you really need to do is become a mutant that's the plastic equivalent of Magneto so you can just levitate the model.

Shame. I was afraid that it wasn't doing much.

Here is a super close up shot of the most layered dude.

and another

I like red armored CSM more, so, why not go with Word Bearers?

So far so... okay...
I stated highlights... still need to do blues. I think it's alright, a bit messy. Need to clean up the wash a bit better.
How's it look?

Because Word Bearers are only cool because Eliphas.

Side view

I painted a leg.

Definitely better than before. Just keep working to crisp up those lines and you'll be good.

>that filename

SAY GOODBYE TO GUILLIMAN!

If you go to straight white too fast and don't build up the highlights gradually it can speckle. Your paint may have been a bit thick also.

Word Bearers

Got the base coats done on one of these fuckers, now I need to wash, then highlight and stuff.

Hey windshield/wip/ers, what do you guys think of doing lightning claws like this?

I wanted some kind of blue glow but the entire blade glowing would be too distracting and wanted to have the weapons' metal colors showing. I think 'Eavy Metal does power weapons like this now with only the power source glowing.

I think I see 300+ wasted points.

at least magnetise

christ sake just do a recess wash, clean-up, then edge highlight. Making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Unless his LGS has boards filled with cover, at that point it's mostly target prioritization

>see 10 Vanguard Vets pop up
>Turn around
>Prescience my guard blob
>First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire!
>10 Vanguard Vets go away

It's like you don't even know they can charge on turn one. Just take Coteaz.

Just want them to look as good as possible, yo

admirable, but overcomplication ain't gonna get you there

Fair enough.

I'll try layering less and focusing on better highlights, that is my real weakness.

It's like you don't think I hide a handful of Power Axes in my guard blobs.

good man.

It's like you think they'll be alive to swing if they're at the front, or will be able to be in base to base if they're in the back.

>gunline fags in charge of knowing how to play the assault game

It's actually pretty easy math.
>Run two lines of guard in the front
>Maximize shots and bodies in front of heavy/special weapons
>Marines charge in, mulch whatever bodies they can reach
>Pile in
>Sergeants/Commissar move up their 3 inches
>Take apart marines because they actually get more attacks than the vets do
It's hilarious really. Plus if they mulch enough to break the combat, that means they're literally stuck in the middle of 100+ shots about to blast them off the table.

Does anyone have a good image for the IF relic angel of sacrifice?

Simple googling hasn't given me much, I am trying to form a chaplain and I want it to look right.

Take the wings off a Cherub from a Dev Squad box and tac it onto Crozius.