Modern General

3 till funhammer days edition

Playing?

Hating?

What do you think is the deck to beat death's shadow that also has game in other matchups?

Expecting any changes to the banned list? Hope for any unbans?

Opinions on the attempted price spikes on cards that aren't getting reprinted?

RESOURCES:
Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

DATABASES:
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1hDbpF4Mvkw
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpind16/deck-tech-kiki-evolution-with-jarvis-yu-2016-08-27
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-03-17-gb-elves/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UNBAN SPLINTER TWIN

Should I drop my $700 in savings on Splinter Twin?

don't. delet this

bgx or eldrazi, anything with speed + hand disruption really

convince me not to spend $1200 to spec on twin

Spend it on Jace

Because everyone will laugh at you when twin stays banned forever. fact, they'll announce a new Super Permanent Ban List and cards on the SPBL will never be unbanned for any reason. They'll start the SPBL with twin.

Best MTG trannies?

Frank lepore. Love it

I dont believe you

i remember the time his convos got leaked about cheating on melissa de tora. cringy af

it's ok mel cheated in an RTR tournament anyway

Is there a single deck that utilizes Eldritch Evolution?

Ban reality smasher

>i remember the time his convos got leaked about cheating on melissa de tora. cringy af

>memelord frank lepore cheated on melissa de tora

Fuck my life, that dude struck me as a total virgin based off how annoying he was

link to the leaked convos?

Yes there's a naya list that runs it

Let's say they unban JTMS. How hard/easy is he to deal with?

Well considering they probably play him in control, the turn they tap out to play him they're pretty much dead

Olivia and Alesha right? Are there others?

If they unbanned jace how much would he spike?

Thread Theme
youtube.com/watch?v=1hDbpF4Mvkw

735 shekels easily

Deck would fold hard to Bant eldrazi

Running Naya burn at fnm as we speak. 3 new people showed up and they're all soul sisters.

Send trauma unit

Mind posting it?

I saw some memey elves list that ran it along with allosaurus rider to cheat griselbrand, iona and elesh norn into play.

It was pretty dank

Abzan Evolution on goldfish

Slash Panther is modern legal

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpind16/deck-tech-kiki-evolution-with-jarvis-yu-2016-08-27

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-03-17-gb-elves/
I posted a couple threads ago with a Mono G elves list. It was suggested I change it to G/B or even Abzan. Does this look like a traditional G/B Elves list? I do intend to replace the Llanowar Wastes with Cavern of Souls, but otherwise I think the mainboard is complete.
I could maybe replace the Vanquisher with a mainboard Scavenging Ooze.

Otherwise the deck is just my mono G list with some of the fat trimmed and a new manabase.

drop wren for another ezuri and get rid of abbey unless you're desperately clinging to the meme dream.

Really? People were really telling me to grab the Westvale Abbey to flip it in response to a boardwipe. I wasn't sold on it myself, but the recommendations had more merit than I anticipated at first. I don't like the fact that it doesn't tap for colored mana, though.

Wren's Run will probably end up getting cut, so Ezuri is probably the pick.

Every deck needs a one-of meme dream.

It's not terrible but it's risky in a deck with only 19 lands. It's gonna cause to you mulligan away hands where it's your only land.

Here's the thing senpai. The board wipes that fuck your shit up, like pyroclasm and anger, are cast before you can flip abby. The one's that don't like verdict and wrath or whatever, are run in decks that you're gonna eat a nice path anyways. In the end, think reasonably, when in the fuck is that ever going to be useful? If it didn't cost 5 to activate I'd say go for it, but it does, and it's no good.

Yeah, that's more of why I'm hesitant rather than it being only seldom useful. I'm going to try it for a few weeks once I get the lands together and see if I like or not. I have a ton of copies of Abbery from trying to play tokens in standard.

When I get the Caverns in a month or two, I might just get 3 if I really dislike the abbey.

What does it matters? Just buy chink fakes and resell them on ebay

Why don't people make themselves into cards anymore? Snapcaster and Bob and Ranger of Eos are so cool, why did they stop doing that?

Because wizards are faggots

Because vanity cards have been stopped. The only chance we'll get now are You Make The Card, which has had some great results in the past.

Wow. Nice reading comprehension. I feel bad for you.

Which cards did you make? And why is some fat nerd on Veeky Forums making cards?

Waste not

Waste Not, Crucible of Worlds, Forgotten Ancient, and Vanish Into Memory.

so, what might actually happen if someone at wizards had a mental breakdown and managed to sneak counterspell into a standard set making it modern legal?

Would it actually have any effect? it feels like the current type of decks that can manage to have UU available on turn 2 don't really have the necessary support they would need to make them viable even with a hard 2 mana counterspell

There seem to be an awful lot of people on Veeky Forums promoting purchasing Chinese proxies. Is this some meme I've missed, or are they shills, or are people just really passionate about buying fake cards and want to spread the message? It's like anons never miss a chance to bring it up.

Went 2-1 with burn.
Missplayed the mirror and lantern control is BULLSHIT, but at least grixis control did half the work for me. Fun tho. How did yalls night go Veeky Forums?

It's poorfags trying to convince themselves their fakes look good

My money is on shills. They push the whole thing pretty hard, even probably samefag some sort of "where can I get these" response. It's just pathetic, really.

3- 1 with burn. Only lost the race to elves. I am ashamed of myself. I will commit ritual sudoku.

I didn't make it to FNM. Ran into multiple instances of unrelated bullshit at work that piled up and I didn't make it home until nearly 8pm. oh well, there's always edh on saturday....

>lantern is bullshit
>plays burn

Played u/w control, went 3 - 0. First time playing the deck in paper, so I'm pretty happy about it. Beat eldrazi tron, bant eldrazi, and sun & moon.

4-0 with Soul Sisters
my local meta is pretty casual, but I also dodged tron and Infect. I got fair decks all the way to the end, which was fortunate. Even Death's Shadow couldn't get me down, but it did get the closest. Archangel of Thune managed to close most every game out that I managed to resolve it.

Elves is crazy though. One time I cryptic commanded against my opponent on his upkeep, choosing tap all creatures and draw a card. If he was able to swing in that turn I'd be dead for sure. I figured since it was his upkeep even if he tapped for mana in response he wouldn't be able to do anything with it. In response, he goes coco into chord into shaman of the pack, burns me out GG.

Thune is such a sweet card.

Well, I guess i dont feel too bad. Plus he was the guy to 4- 0 and hit the number 1 spot, so he must have been doing something right. I think elves can be nuts in the right meta, and he just made the right call.

Hey user at least with burn you have the whole game to win. Once that lock is in place it's over.

i quit the competitive scene because twin was banned. it eventually led to me not playing anymore. every once in awhile i'll stomp some scrubs with the decks they made just because i can. heh. nothin personnel kid.

It would make non-Blue players unreasonably mad, to the levels that the Twin bad did for combo players.

Since non-blue is theoretically 80% of the player base, WotC has no incentive to take the risk of players complaining about a single event for years.

I know how lantern works I'm just amazed you can complain about lantern when it's a favorable matchup for you.

So is anyone doing the open in Dallas tomorrow?

3-1 as burn as well. Lost to the soul sisters match up, which is reasonable.

The affinity matchup was fun, he had me at 2 life with my eidolon out and then he dropped an etched champion which brought him down to 1.

I draw a lightning bolt and was ready to scoop, but I swing in with eidolon, he blocks with etched instead of an ornithopter, so I slam that bolt hard.

Last round was against eldrazi tron and I absolutely whooped his ass.

Debbie is

It really is. I'm surprised it's not seeing play in more places, but it is an expensive creature that doesn't really win on its own.

Are you Debbie?

Not even fucking with you, at least 2x in the current price. Whenever something is playable in Legacy and Modern; it becomes retarded in price.

I would also absolutely speculate on Jace unban. Risk:Reward is justifiable and the odds really are not that low. Blue sucks in Modern, Blue has sucked in Modern since Twin ban - they aren't going to unban Twin, so the best way of introducing some power to the color is Jace.

>2-2 with storm
>played burn twice
Guess what my losses were to. But I actually managed to go 2-1 each time, but fuck me main deck hate cards really chap my ass. I think the deck is real though, I beat bang Eldrazi and Jund besides that, baby Eldrazi even had a decent amount of hate between rip and eidolon of rhetoric.
btw fuck burn

Hmm, it depends. Like I think Grixis could definitely play 4x Counterspell and become a far more successful deck. 2-mana universal answer at the cost of UU is actually far better than you give it credit for.

With that said I don't think it would radically change the format. Since Blue would still be on the beatdown with 2/1s as it's wincon plan. Now if they had a mental breakdown and put Force in a Standard set....

counterspell would see more modern play than force

Yeah force is necessary in legacy cause people kill you turn 1. That doesn't happen in modern.

The card filtering helps too. A card that's absolutely necessary in some match ups but really bad in others is a lot easier to play when you can brainstorm it away.

Link / screenshot of convos?

Lads. Is Thoughtseize going to get hit? Seriously thinking about it. Why is IoK getting all these reprints? Why did they make an improved version of Despise (Harsh Scrutiny), and only a few years prior, do a reprint of Despise itself?

Right now the discard suite is Thoughtseize and IoK. That's it. There's no trinity of options. Take out Thoughtseize and Duress + Harsh Scrutiny actually get used.

>own a playset Thoughtseize from Theros
>only have one IoK
If the former goes, is the latter going to spike?

Its just one pathetic shill who is too autistic to play at flgs

Never drew any destructive revelry for the turn0 leyline or any artifact destruction. Chalking it up to bad luck

How would modern react to both SFM and Jace coming off the ban list?
Neither card at this stage feels like it would massively affect modern on their own.
Interesting also how SFM has fallen off in popularity in recent years in Legacy and is no where near the power level it used to be

Counterspell doesn't fix blues issue in modern at all. It would improve a couple matchups slightly but overall would do nothing in the grand scheme.
People give counterspell way more credit than it's worth

if they ban thoughtseize you might as well quit magic since that indicates that Wotc truly has no fucking idea what they're doing. Ts is a fair, interactive card and the only way they would ban it is if they listen exclusively to timmys who get upset when you play anything that isn't a 2/2 bear. It also isn't time for thoughtseize to be reprinted too so that's a factor.

Zero chance thoughtseize gets banned. And Iok was an uncommon that was over $20

I doubt it. The card isn't oppressive, and DSJ is a really fair deck.

Yes, but it would see play. Every deck running mana leak would use counterspell instead. Comparatively force would see some sideboard play at best.

If they ban Thoughtseize we might as well consider the Modern format dead as it will really show Wizards is willing to ban just about anything. Thoughtseize is a fair card and without cards like this linear decks would overrun the format

They would be like bitterblossom and nacatl. Cards that were previously oppressive but due to new cards, shift in meta and more aggressive archetypes, they wouldn't even be that good

If you can't beat a t0 leyline you're going to lose most of the time I'd imagine. Think of it like this Lantern tries to control your draw step and burn is a very redundant deck where almost all of their topdecks are live and get around bridge making it hard to lock them out like other decks. Coupled with the fact that burn is usually pretty fast that means trouble for lantern. Granted some lantern builds hedge heavily to improve the burn matchup and we've gotten some goodies like inventor's fair and brutality recently but it's still a rough matchup.

it's also a trash card

the joke is that you don't know the joke

wew

I think SFM would be super strong, but probably fine. Wizards doesn't print good equipment anymore either, so there's not really a risk of it becoming more broken than it is now like dredge or pod.

>he current type of decks that can manage to have UU available on turn 2

Every deck.
Literally every deck in existence can change it's manabase to have UU available on turn 2 and not become noticeably worse.

One of the biggest problems with modern is that multicoloured is just too easy and consistent. For the price of 3 - 6 life, you can run 4 colour just as consistently as dual colour, or even monocolour.

Fetchlands + ravnica lands combo was a mistake.

Whats the joke?

>inventors fair
That card was a pain

How do people still think SFM would be an okay card to unban when Batterskull is still a card?

There's a lot more answers to artifacts and enchantments than there were.

It's still a stupid idea. I think if you unban SFM, you need to ban Batterskull.

Wrong. Batterskull is seeing next to zero play in the current meta - its not that good.

Because a 4/4 lifelink on turn 3 is far from degenerate with what people are doing in modern. Heck majority of games the stoneforge mystic will die before even getting to play the batterskull. The game itself will probably end before the batterskull even comes down normally.
You forget Modern doesn't have FOW or Daze to protect the Stoneforge like in Legacy and these days Stoneforge isn't good enough for Legacy either.
Also no Jitte in the format

Because you can't cheat it in. Fucking duh

Because Batterskull is way too slow on it's own.

Man people cry about Stoneforge Mystic but who here remembers the moaning about Bittterblossom and how it would be far too much for the format.
Funny that huh

I hate Soul Sisters.

death to burn players

I sure do.

Green is unanimously the strongest colour in modern. It is also the only one that doesnt have an oncolour 1 mana answer to sfm.

B - Thoughtseize, Inquisition, Fatal Push
U - Spell Snare
G - Dismember?
R - Lightning Bolt
W- Path to Exile.

If they manage to land the sfm and somehow it doesnt die for their turn or yours, then there are plenty of ways you can deal with the germ or the batterskull.

Its not as strong as what you think