>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Good job letting the thread fall off page 10 cunts.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12498055
reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5x9swd/homebrewa_phb_for_a_star_wars_dd_experience/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

strawpoll.me/12498055

Got a game I need to be ready for in five hours, and I have just one question for you guys.

Using just regular page 150 items, how many different ways can I fuck with PC's using a Thief antagonist?

I have some ideas of my own (pocketsand CON save VS Blindness for one round and the like) but I want to make this as interesting as I can for them, supposed to be a tough, but wacky and lighthearted encounter

Ball Bearings for maximum three stooges slipping and sliding.

Good to see someone else voted Knight. If I'm playing a Fighter, I want to be a big motherfucker in big armour with a big shield.

I wanna use the Caves of Chaos as a dungeon for 5-10 or thereabout PCs; my players NEVER go into any remotely important sounding dungeon willingly.

Is there any kind of spellcaster or other character archetype that is somewhere around CR 4 that bugbears would fit? They're one of the few kinds of famous humanoids that don't have a higher tier variant.

I don't mind a custom option or one based off PCs, but I can't think of anything that really fits.

Any advice on how to play minions in combat? I have a tough time playing them to be intelligent beings; they just charge the PCs and attack the thing nearest to them until they die

Thinking of playing a Stone Sorcerer as a 4e Swordmage.

Now if I plan to mostly quicken GFB and BB with defensive spells and buffs, what are the best choices to look at for spells?

Also would multiclassing into something else for Medium Armour be a good idea if I plan to go Dexterity focus? I was thinking Fighter for Action Surge and a Fighting Style.

Have them utilize tactics like using cover, flanking. Describe them as working together in different ways as well, i.e "The two kobolds close in on you, fighting in tandem. The one on the left feints towards your chest, while the one on your right slashes at your ankles."

Have dudes run away when shit gets bad or when they get injured or have some enemies attempt to help their allies. Things like this make the enemies seem smart and not jsut like piles of hit points.

>Sh-SHAAAA

Barbarogue? Arcane Trickster? Shadow Monk? I mean their whole thing is they're sneaky and big, and also lazy. Maybe some kind of weird druid or a War/Trickery cleric of Hruggek?

Man... medium armour seems kinda lousy.

It's...it's almost like he's throwing a sand-like substance. Possibly contained in a small pouch sewn into the side of his pantaloons.

Pantaloon pouch silicon! Fuck, it just rolls off the tongue.

Yeah I can see your point about Domino, in Dishonored it lets you eliminate a captain of the guard and his entourage (you can eventually target 4 NPCs) with a single sleep dart.

Really I just want to figure out a way to nerf Dimension Door enough that you can use it almost immediately, the Outsider seems to really enjoy handing out short-range teleportation powers as soon as he gives someone a Mark.

How so? Obviously on someone with Heavy Armour that's preferred but unless you have a +5 DEX modifier Medium Armour's going to be better.

Got some chargen going on tonight with my normie brother because I'm trying to find more stuff to do with him, any tips for making this as rules-lite as possible for him?

I think you're looking for Misty Step.

Starter Set rules is only a few pages.

To the Darkest Dungeon DM from last thread.

>Abomination
Moon Druid with a custom wildshape

>Antiquarian
Mastermind Rogue (because it's just as useless in combat as an Antiquarian).

>Arbalest
Battlemaster Fighter w/ sharpshooter is a good idea, but maybe Hunter Ranger w/ sharpshooter for Hunter's Mark and Volley (both features I personally use quite bit in DD).

>Bounty Hunter
Fighter/Rogue makes sense. Look up some ideas to implement/improve net and hook use.

>Crusader
Any beatface Paladin oath (Crusade and Vengeance being the most obvious).

>Grave Robber
Rogue Assassin works great.

>Hellion
Barbarian Berserker also works great.

>Highwayman
Try Champion Fighter for this. Highwayman is just a high-crit beatstick in most cases, and his health is usually pretty decent.

>Hound Master
BM Ranger with a club.

>Jester
Straight Valor Bard.

>Leper
I'm tempted to say Paladin. He's a pretty religious guy, but I guess that doesn't need to reflect on his class.

>Man-At-Arms
War Cleric, my man.

>Occultist
GOO Tomelock. Lots of area control spells, too.

>Plague Doctor
Alchificer is perfect.

>Vestal
Light Cleric seems breddy good.

For general suggestions, look up some systems to make insanity a thing.
Toss around curios and reward them for sticking their necks out with the odd stat improvement and the like.
Magic Items should maybe be two sided, but not HEAVILY so.
If you trust them, make combat always ~1/2CR too high.
Exploration should be just as interesting as fighting, so really brush up on your purple prose and attention to detail.

>my groups I play with irl are great but they're kinda inconsistent and I have to DM
>decide to check out roll20
>see some games that look okay
>read other players' applications
Never mind.

Isn't Paladin a better class if you want to be a protector of others?

jokes on you, it was itching powder

What are some cool ideas for non-traditional familiars? I convinced my DM to let me make an origami bat familiar that could turn into things like an origami hat or an origami butterfly like pic related when not in use.

Better? Most likely. Some people don't want to be playing a magic sparkle warrior though, I prefer a Fighter who stays alive through strength and sheer determination to get the job done the old fashioned way.

A sock puppet. And it's just a regular sock puppet.

Fuck, now I know how my bard is gonna make fun of the wizard now.

>find an ok game
>other applications don't see 3edgy5me
>see it starts at 4.30am

fuck

Also works against the Cleric.

Is it really technically "mocking" if that's actually how deities work?

Is there an exact number of followers a god needs to rise to power? Couldn't a large group of people just make the nicest, friendliest god and gather enough worshipers to make him a god?

Our group all agree 4e is fucking fun as fuck, especially its combat, but we also don't like the fact combats take so fucking long to resolve and our roleplaying invariably gets bogged down in mechanics discussion.

I've been saying 5e's rules are a lot more streamlined and the combats would resolve a lot quicker.

Is 5e's combat as fun as it is in 4e? And is it actually streamlined?
I could convince them to port over to 5e.

It's also pretty shitty how most applications want you to just give your character with everything already decided before you know who all the players are.

I'm the sort that can never pick a character or story until I sit down and hash it out with the other players.

Also like 90% of all applications I read the players want to be dickass thieves.

There should be numbers to inform deity hierarchies and strata in Faiths and Avatars, Faiths and Pantheons and Deities and Demigods.

In most D&D settings, I believe they 100% can. The reason you can be a cleric of an ideal or philosophy is because having enough followers basically makes it an actual deity.

It's fun if your DM is a cool guy.
If your DM doesn't let you get creative then it's pretty meh.

Group starting a new game this week and im thinking of going monk since noone in my circle have touched it before.

going to roleplay him as a boxer since i it fits all the abilties nice enough, and i dont want to go all asian monk ten thousand years of technique....
also thinking about picking up the Gourmand feat and be sort of a food lover.

anyone got some tips how i can spice up my character? not really decided on a monastic tradition yet either.

This sounds like the exact method an evil person would use to become a god if such thing were possible.

Honestly if you like 4e, it's probably best you house rule it to make combat shorter. 5e is a very different game and gathers the best parts of 2e, 3e and 4e but combat works like 2e and 3e. Some people rather one or the other.

5e is pretty quick in combat and much more open if your DM lets you be creative. In an empty room with 4 goblins though martials basically spam attack and 4e is more fun.

As much as you want it to be, the Flying Sphagetti Monster isn't real.

Is this bait?
If you're serious, "fun" is subjective. It's less crunchy and in-depth, and that could be either bad or good.
There are no moves to choose from for non-spellcasters (for the most part), which my group doesn't miss but many players do. Conversely, you don't have to figure out which 3 or 4 of your 12 modifiers apply to every attack roll, which is almost universally regarded as good.
At the end of the day, it comes down to preference.

How would an evil person convince tons of people to genuinely believe in him/her?

Well I know what my next Clerics goal is. He's gonna become a god or die trying. Now to find a domain no one else really has.

Not him, but why would it be bait, you fucking jobber? What the fuck makes you think that?

Yeah, I guess you're right.

>gourmand
>spice up

Seems like you already have.
Anyway. If you were an open hand monk I'd say that would fit pretty well.

Why not knock people down but because you're a gentlemen you'll never kick them while they're down.
Hit them so hard they fly out of the tavern window and then pay the manager to fix it.
Punch a guy in the noggin they can't take reactions.

Grappler feat could also be fun for you for when you don't want to kill em. In which case maybe dip rogue for the athletics expertise.

Honestly it's there mostly for Clerics, Druids and low level Barbarians. Other classes normally have a better option or don't need the armour.

>How would an evil person convince tons of people to genuinely believe in him/her?

Through deception.
Or just genuinely be a "good person" with an evil heart.

It depends on your setting, but generally you don't just become a god, even through gathering of worshippers.
You need to go through immensely arduous trials, gather pieces of gods into yourself, have a divine patron or have the say-so of an overdeity, to name a few methods.

Because 90% of all posts asking if some aspect of [edition] is "as fun as" that aspect in [edition] are shitty edition war bait.
You will notice, you colossal dipshit, that I did answer the question.

>How would an evil person convince tons of people to genuinely believe in him/her?

Common enemy.
Become the champion of the high elves. Gas the dwarves.

I just want to use javalins and look like a Roman without shitty AC...

You could always go for a bodyguard/bouncer-type character. Way of the Open Palm can be reflavored such that you are slugging well-placed punches at your opponent instead of using kung-fu action, and the level 3 abilities that it gets fit rather nicely for being oppressive in combat. For gourmand, you could say that your bodyguard duties sometimes involved cooking for your charge, or you could even say that you are an aspiring cook but had to take up some rough work to pay the bills.

>Grappler feat could also be fun for you for when you don't want to kill em. In which case maybe dip rogue for the athletics expertise.

solid tip ill look into it, was also thinking the sentinel feat would fit a boxer well, but kinda sold on the gourmand at the moment.

How did combat work in 2e? 3e's was fucking boring and goddamn tedious.

You started off being an autist, but your post was actually helpful.

But user, dwarves have resistance to poison damage

Well yeah, naturally. Those that were more resistant survived the first attempt.

Don't start off your post like a fucking driveling autist, you pathetic snivelling retard.

That's a great list, I'm gonna start populating the character sheets.

Thanks user

Nothing I said was out of place. Anybody who spends enough time here is tired of edition war posts.
>Implying I stopped being autistic

Man, this user is really bringing the swearing A-game today.
Honestly though, you sound like you're personally offended at something I said, because nothing justifies this level of personal insults. Unless, of course, you're the real autist here. I suppose that's always possible.

2e was pretty complicated if you were dealing with Speed Factors, THACO and all the negative bullshit. Half the world was immune to something obscure and while I love 2e more then anything, it's a fucking train wreck of rules and organisation. Never touch that thing unless you already know it.

Basically 5e took 2e combat, took out the retarded negative stuff and fixed initiative with 3e rules. Then it took Proficiency from 4e and some other little bits and pieces it did well, including balancing martials and spellcasters better then ever. Then slapped bounded accuracy onto it all.

Bounded accuracy basically means you don't have a million +2's and -1 effects laying around. If you have a bonus it's normally roll two d20's and take the higher one or a penalty's roll two and take the lower. Makes it faster and easier.

I wasn't baiting, generally curious. I don't give a flying fuck which editon is better. Cheers for the response, but you didn't have to reply like an autist.

Also stop assuming the worst, you fool, that way lies madness and anger at yourself more than anything.

I honestly don't understand why being overly suspicious = being autistic, but ok, whatever.
And don't worry, I only assume the worst on Veeky Forums.

This is one of the more accurate descriptions I've seen of 5e.

My DM allowed me to use a miniature Myconid as a familiar. He's my little Fun Guy.

I bet this fun guy pulls all the bitches.

Why would you want to start arguments when you phrase things like you do?

>doesn't want to start an edition war
>yet uses language baiting to start an edition war
Okay, bro.

His tentacles would.

Dunno if anyone would be interested in this, but I found a homebrew port of Star Wars for 5e the other day, and it's pretty well done asides from a few typos and other such errors:

reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5x9swd/homebrewa_phb_for_a_star_wars_dd_experience/

Don't forget for rangers.

It migh be useful in some cases... Especially with Medium Armor Master. If you're in a party with lots of heavy armor dudes, you can match em for AC, without stealth disadvantage, and it gives you less armor weight so you can lug more gear around.

>His tentacles would.
I think those are technically hyphae.

My DM made a myconid brewmaster. He revealed great truths to us with his hallucinogenic drinks. We recruited him to our tavern that we own. His told us his name is Nich the Homebrewer. Our DM's name is Nich.

>Tfw crippling assburgers

How the fuck do I find my first group without mortifying myself?

There are many ways to go about it. If you want, there's quite a few groups on imgur/reddit/etc. that help new players get into various editions and roleplaying.

Or you can just search on roll20 for something that fits your preferences.

Try Roll20, and maybe text games might be less stressful?

>helpful replies

Wtf I love Veeky Forums now

Probably because aspies aren't exactly rare here.

Kind of a general question, but what are the obvious red flags for a shit show when you're applying to Roll 20 groups?

New to tabletop, but it's tough finding groups that aren't like all 50 year old men.

I'm looking to roll up a tempest cleric for my next session. Not sure how to build it to fit my idea so I wanted to see if you guys had any input. I rolled these stats:

We are starting at level 3. DM is allowing everything except for third party.

Tiefling Warlock

Read the full descriptions and some posts they've made in forums. There needs to be a balance between tryhard no-fun-allowed dweebs and insufferable shits who are constantly trying to prove to everyone how funny and random they are.

there's literally nothing "defender"ish about the paladin other than protector style

you need to be a crown paladin for that

Wisdom: 17
Con: 14 or 13
Dex: 13 or 14

Rest whatever suits your personality.

Well a Firbolg would get +2 WIS, +1 STR which is pretty good.

Though if you have access to everything a Tempest Theurge could be fun to try. Most games won't allow it but it's not too unbalanced and means you get to be good at the Religion Skill. I'd make a Human Tempest Theurge personally.

For Bounty Hunter you could give them a refluffed Lightning Lure.

The you get worshiped -> receive power thing is from FR, in which Ao cursed the inattentive gods for not caring about their followers by making it so that loss of followers can threaten their divine status, but there's zero indication that it works in the other direction (followers->godhood), and no edition has had rules for ascending to become a deity that was just get followers->receive power.

My bladelock took a three level dip for sneak attack/cunning/ledgerdemain, now I've hit 10th level and need to figure out if I should go back to taking levels in warlock or keep taking levels in rogue.

Treachery paladin sneaking while invisible in a breastplate.

I normally carry a set on Strength based characters just in case I need to sneak. It's rare but with standard rules I can carry a shit ton.

Does sneak attack work with eldritch blast?

No

Triton Stone Sorcerer, what should my level 1 stats be? I was thinking 16, 8, 14, 10, 12, 14 after racial adjustment.

What's the best character build for giving sustained damage?

Variant Human with Resilient Constitution feat

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 9
WIS 18
CHA 12

Probably Sentinel + GWM battlemaster fighter.

Champion Fighter and Totem Barb

Champ will have higher damage and Totem will have higher survivability

WIS>STR/DEX>CON>DEX/STR>CHA=INT

Races:
Kenku: goes into battle while mimicing thunder noises with thaumaturgy. Take some points into CHA and take intimidate prof.
Arakocra: not that great since you get flying at level 17, piss off your DM with call lightning and flying before that level.
Hill Dwarf: tough and can wear plate without 15 STR
Wood elf/Firbolg: tribal worshipers of storm gods?
Water genasi: storm/sea god worshipper
Lizardfolk: natural armor is decent. Equivalent to studded armor+1

Feats:
Warcaster, resilient(con), resilient(dex), Shield master, lucky, observant are all great

Spells:
spiritual weapon, silence, bless, command, cure wounds, thunderwave, and shatter are all great spells at your level.

Is removing a the versatile ability from Tridents and calling it a 1d8 weapon fix it?

So, 1d8 one handed and it can be thrown.

Don't set up the game to be a meme.
>everyone run around with pitchforks in one hand!

Does stone's durability from the UA allow you to add Dex as well? I'm not sure since it doesn't specify but I thought Dex was usually a given to AC.

You use one calculation.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It changes your AC calculation. No dex.

Great weapon master and sharpshooter builds.
Any fighter, Kensei monk, barbarian, ranger with swift quiver.