/WFG/ Warhammer Fantasy General

Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar. If that is your cup of tea, please go elsewhere, especially if you're just going to shill or troll. For all intents and purposes, it's not the same universe.

> A hostile spear, a new frontier, the end is near.
> The lines must hold, their story told, Orc's Drift controlled... edition.

> 1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

> Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

> Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

> List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

> Bretonnia range reborn!
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> Fimir range reborn!
krakongames.com/product-category/miniatures/fomorian/

> Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Lore, Crunch and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

> Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

> 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning (Alpha)
returnofreckoning.com/

> Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

> End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

> Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

> Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

> Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

kickassunblock.net/user/BranStark/uploads/
games-workshop.com/en-IE/Start-Collecting-Skeleton-Horde
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egregore
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa#Thoughtform
1d4chan.org/wiki/Dwarfs_(Warhammer_Fantasy)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unfortunately model war-gaming is pretty expensive wherever you go. A lot of companies have followed GW into the breach of regularly increasing their prices unless your Mantic or into Historics. Best thing you can do is get second hand or go through 3rd party websites that offer a discount.

> Is the party over?

I would bet Fantasy war-gaming was around before anyone in this thread was born and I'll outlive us all. It's harder to get a game of Fantasy that it was 2 years ago but with your models you can play any game, Kings of War, Avatars of War, Dragon Rampant, 9th Age, Age of Smegma (if needs must) and every edition of Warhammer. You can still have your guys set in the Warhammer world though even if you're not using the official rules.

Could someone explain to me how magic and wizard levels and power dice all work together in the tabletop? Alternatively where I could find these in the pastebin.

The level of the Wizard determines how many spells he can generate, ie. a level 4 Wizard will have 4 different spells each game to use each magic phase.

Power Dice are just the number of dice the casting player has available to them to try and cast a spell. All the spells have a casting value and you can throw as many or a few dice at it as you want. So if you generated 6 power dice and the spell needs a 7 you could pick out 3 dice and try to equal or exceed 7 to cast the spell. You would then have another 3 power dice left in your pool for another spell.

Is this what you mean? It's all in the rulebook.

That makes sense, I had absolutely no idea what wizard levels where, and how magic should work.

CA straight fucked it.

Re-reading all that made me remember what a great book the BRB was.

I do think the passing of WHFB is signalling an end to complex games. In the future they're just going to be simpler and simpler and companies are just going to rely on a churn and burn of new players with none of them offering any depth (before Infinity players butt-in I'm talking about the mass market games). Flames of War V4 is significantly simplified as well.

Fantasy should have had two systems of skirmish and mass battle with the latter being like 6th edition.

How does it work in TW:W?

The level of the Wizard represents his ability and seniority. He will know hundreds of spells but for the sake of the game it just means 4 heavy hitters that are 'battle magic'.

All characters, lords or wizards or heroes, get a max 30 levels. Wizard spells lay down one level path for them, there are others like campaign effects and one-off abilities. You can grab a new spell every level if you stay on the path. A wizard can learn his entire lore, but CA usually leaves a spell out for one reason or another. In battle you have a 'pool' of magic depending on the strength of the winds in that part of the campaign map. The most magic you can have available at one time is 30 which recharges from the larger pool. Spell costs range from Raise Dead (3) to Foot of Gork (15) and then overcharged versions which cost more but have a chance of damaging the caster. Spell also have a recharge on them after casting so you can't cast the same spell over and over. putting another point into your spell skill will reduce the recharge time.

All this would be fine if damages and effects weren't totally neutered. Vortexes do fuck-all if they aren't sitting right on the enemy, which they don't because they move. Buff and debuff spells have been cut from bubble effects down to single units, and they last 30 seconds at most. My guess is they're afraid players will spam magic but as it is it's more cost effective just to bring a beatstick captain or champion. You cast one or two underwhelming spells and then your recharge slows to a trickle.

Lucky for me there's mods.

Well apart from how they pick their spells it seems an okay analogy of how it works on the table-top.

I think magic in 8th was too powerful in regards to how predictable it could get. On paper it seems really dangerous but for most they're just throwing as many dice as possible at their big bad spell and wiping out entire units. Also, Total War's fan base would rip them to shreds if they game was like this.

So where does everyone get their models and bases and such from these days? Most of the named characters and many models are no longer sold by GW, so where do you find them? Amazon or Ebay? Some other 3rd party place? What about square bases?

Loads of people on eBay sell faux GW bases that look nearly identical.

Love it or hate it, Citadel does kind of have a style (or did) and it can be hard to get other models to fit sometimes so I tend to stick to second hand or some companies like Avatars of War or Russian Alternative who basically copy this style.

Special characters are hard, I hardly use them so I was never that bothered but I think here you're just going to have to break the green stuff out.

Can someone explain the Witch King to me? Or maybe the Skaven. I'm thinking about playing the CK2 mod, but I don't want to be 100% blind to the lore.

The Witch King is a term for Malekith - he's the leader of the Dark Elves. He wants to be Phoenix King, but he got badly burned by a flame that a true Phoenix King is supposed to pass through unharmed. He plots in Canada, conspiring to conquer the Elven kingdoms and also fuck with everyone else. His mom is Morthrai, who is a super powerful Dark Elf sorceress.

The Skaven are a much broader concept, but they're a race of rat creatures that live in underground cities, creating huge networks of tunnels underneath most of the Old World. They worship a god called the Horned Rat, who is a bit tricksy and a bit plague-y, so they get a bit of both. Lots of numbers, very backstabby - they use a lot of rickety, dangerous but very effective and surprisingly modern inventions, using a dangerous substance called warpstone.

1.) Canada? lol.
2.) What's a Phoenix King?
3.) Which would be more fun to play as? Would you recommend something else?

1) Technically the Dark Elf kingdom is called Naggaroth - I forgot to explain that joke, sorry. The Warhammer world looks very similar to the real world, and Naggaroth is about where Canada is.

2) The Pheonix King is the king of the High Elves, who live in Ulthuan, the big wheel island. He's considered chosen by one of the major High Elven gods, Asuryan, and tends to be either pretty badass or pretty weak. The one right now, Finubar, is pretty badass.

3) I haven't played the mod or CK2, so it's hard to say. I'd guess Dark Elves might be fun, but other anons will probably have better answers than me.

kk, thanks.

>the big wheel island
Just call it Atlantis.

WHFB 6th ed was complex but overall most of this complexity was lost in ridiculous one-use rules. Don't get me wrong, I love it and I still read the rulebook sometimes, but as I got older I now consider it a bit differently. The book in itself was however a fucking blast, with so much fluff, crunch, art, it was beautiful in itself.

Chaos, dwarves : Avatar of war, Prodos, TGG
Dwarves : Scibor, AoW
Empire, brets: Historicals+AoW for characters+other manufacturers for centerpieces
Undead : Mantic, WGF
Orcs and goblins : Mantic
Ogres: Mantic
About bases, any lgs should have some for sales. Named characters are probably second-hand only.

There's been a fair bit said in these threads over the years about what parts of the Empire correspond to what parts of Germany and the Holy Roman Empire, but I'm kind of curious about Tilea. Which city-states map up to which Renaissance polities? I don't really know enough about Tilea or Italian history to make much in the way of guesses myself.

Miragliano is Milano, Tylos (Skavenblight) is analoguous to Roma in some ways, but Remas and Luccini are as well. Trantio takes a lot from Florence and Torino.

Anybody here play Man O'War tabletop?

>His mom is Morthrai, who is a super powerful Dark Elf sorceress.

Who he bangs.

Some company really needs to start selling not!WHFB miniatures at low prices. They would make a killing.

I've often wondered, are there humans in the New World? Native American tribes? How do they deal with Dark Elves and Lizardmen?

The Witch King is the ruler of the Dark Elves, or the Druchii. He's an absolute monarch with magic powers encased in life-supporting enchanted armor, made necessary by his hideous burn scarring, an artifact of his attempt to seize the throne of elf kind and the resultant divine flame that burned him. His right hand and corruptor is Morathi, a legendarily beautiful elf and the head of the forbidden Cult of Pleasure which worships Slaanesh. The two spend most of their time backstabbing each other, but neither can get a final victory. And yes, they fuck.

The most powerful cult among the druchii is the Cult of Khaine, the god of war, hate, battle, murder, and bloodshed. An avowed enemy of the Chaos Gods and especially Slaanesh, these guys are the main check on the Cult of Pleasure.

Culturally, the druchii could probably be summed up with the phrase 'the weak ate meat and the strong eat.' They are very gender stratified and lean patriarchal, though the Cult of Khaine is controlled by women and male sorcerers are altogether forbidden. Class and blood also matter greatly, and druchii will always leverage these things. The obsession with blood purity means that it is not unheard of for druchii nobility to practise first order incest, though this rarely means the elves in question have great fondness for one another. Oddly, some sources report that druchii women are not expected to practise monogamy (nor often do), but that druchii women are fiercely and famously jealous lovers. The druchii are slavers, and cruel ones at that. Any difficult work is forced on slaves if possible, and they serve roles everywhere from brothel toy to living sacrifice to Khaine. The main methods of social mobility are the military and the corsair fleets; the druchii are skilled at plying the seas, and even enslave great wyrms to pull their more unusual ships. Black Arks, magically-maintained fortress islands, act as roving motherships for lighter corsairs.

Continued...

Physically, if you strip a druchii, they cannot be distinguished from any other elf. They do tend to be dark haired and pale of skin, but this had more to do with their place of origin and pre-fall ethnic background than anything. Druchii do not let themselves physically go to rot. Mutilation is mocked. Ugliness is reviled. The exception is ritual scarification and piercing. Druchii are usually beautiful, if of somewhat cruel aspect.

Psycholgically, druchii are quick to exploit weakness. They have little empathy. Weakness is synonymous with immortality. They consider non-elves to be talking animals. Other elves are seen as misguided, contemptible weaklings, or rebels against the 'true' king. Despite what you might expect, a druchii is capable of profound friendships and deep, especially fierce love. The nature of their society and emphasis on ruthless advancement means that these are jealously guarded feelings. Woe be it to the ignorant young buck who spurns the affections of a druchii woman. Overall, they ate hedonists. Rules and laws are suggestions for the clever to subvert. Other druchii are usually tools, toys, or rivals. They are profoundly selfish.

Militarily, they have some unusual practises. They have regular cavalry, but are more famous for cold one riders, which are basically allosaurus riding knights. The fanatic druchii women of the Cult of Khaine go into battle naked with greatswords, working themselves into an orgiastic frenzy of bloodshed. Their missile troops make use of repeating crossbows by preference. Their only legal spellcasters are women. Of course, they love poisons and intoxicants.

Immorality, not immortality.

What are some older editions that are worth going back to?
I got into Fantasy on the eve of 8th ed so it's all I've ever known, me and my group want to change it up a bit.

WHFB 6th ed is peak WHFB.

Mantic and reaper for my Vampire Counts, china for Brets

I want to do an Empire Army using Perry minis one day

Was the Southern Wastes meant to be not-Antarctica or not-Australia?

Mantic m8

6 t h e d
t
h

e
d

kangaroo beastmen?
pls user regular kangaroos are deadly enough

>high elves attempt to colonize the Southern Wastes
>violently driven back by 'roos and emus

The human inhabitants of the New World fall into two categories. The former are the Amazons, who are vassals of the Slann/Lizardmen depending on the edition. The latter group are the Old World colonists. They have a couple of settlements on the Eastern coast and are cosmopolitan enough for Old Worlders. The first colonists were Norscan, but there's a good mix of Imperials, Bretonni, Estalians, Arabyans, Tileans, etc.

Weren't there (northern) Native Americans that were genocided by the Dark Elves?

The Hung? They're still around.

Right, forgot about the Hung, since they're split into two camps: those raiding Nagaroth and those raiding Cathay. Which is probably why they are easily forgotten.

Except most buffs become aoe if you overcast them, vortexes are balanced by being supremely powerful and are obviously meant to fuck up units you are forcing to stand still, and recharge rates can be upped in like eight ways.

Sure spells may seem underwhelming in the face of a beatstick, but tripling the power of your greatsword line for 30 seconds basically allows you to break chaos armies with comparatively tiny forces.

What happened to the pygmies during the end times?

WE

The art is more offensive then the actual models!

More like what happened to them after 3rd Ed.

Did we ever learn what exactly the Maw and the hunger inside the ogres actually is?

What if they got a tasteful redesign?

Depicting Africans (accurately) as an early iron age, bronze age, or stone age civ is not likely to go over well with moral guardians.

Pygmies are Meso-Americans. Not Africans.

The big-lipped thing large-bellied was artistic stereotypes of any people considered primitive by colonial Europeans. It appears applied to everyone from Filipinos to Apache.

The Amazons ate them all then integrated into the Empire. Or at least that is what happened in Blood Bowl.

A Skaven Maxim gun probably mowed them all down or something.

Does anyone have a working link for kickassunblock.net/user/BranStark/uploads/
from the resources pastebin

Want to check out some fantasy novels

Did you know that Bretonnia has the strongest cows? They even destroy siege towers!

games-workshop.com/en-IE/Start-Collecting-Skeleton-Horde

Has anyone bought this? I'm interested in whether a Mortarch sprue can be used to build others than Arkhan, Neferata to be specific.

You create one spawn for every unsaved wound, right?

No. Just 1

Yeah, you get the full Mortarch sprue in the box. You can build Arkhan, Manfred or Neferata.

Ok thanks.

That's pretty underwhelming.

Cool, thanks.

keyword is target here
>target unit
>if the target suffers

imagine the spawn forming from the coalescing bodies of the slain

>half man half bull destroy armies
>half bull other half bull too destroy cities
pottery

What would be the expected quality of equipment in dwarf and elven armies. Will most of it be good quality with elite forces and leaders wielding best quality or would it be most forces wield mediocre equipment with elites wielding good quality stuff and the leaders wielding best quality?

Pygmies are in South America in Warhammer, though.

>I'll outlive us all

Gee, I wonder who is behind this post

What about half man other half also man?

Oh ye of little faith

Or Melnibone, since that would be more accurate.
Then again, who here even reads the major inspiration for Warhammer anymore?

Nope. Maybe space alien? Maybe just a meteor? Who knows.

Hey, I read some of the first Elric stories some weeks ago. Wasn't that great.

Lavos?
Regardless, much of WFB's original inspiration was those Elric stories.
From a Uluthuan is almost a perfect description of Melnibone in shape, and it's usage of dragons that are largely mostly in hibernation due to their rarity is also pretty spot on.
Personally wise however the Dark Elves have the Melnibonean's twisted personalities and complete lack of morality...also plus the actual Elric knockoff of Warhammer is a member of their race too.

I think it was just a warpstone crater.

>Most of it be good quality with elite forces and leaders wielding best quality
This, at least when compared with the human standard

It didn't actually mutate anything.
It was just a really really big hole.

A warpstone fragment that crashed into the earth. It became a sentient egregore due to the worship of the ogres.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egregore
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa#Thoughtform

Tyranid dormant hive

It'll*

This seems pretty unlikely but.... hypothetically speaking, if GW decided to AoS 40K would anyone be inclined to have 1 large thread for all 'Oldhammerer'? ie. 40K RT - 7th edition and Fantasy 1st - 8th edition.

Seems quite a bit of a stretch, especially since 40k and WFB don't have all that much overlap. Why would you want to talk about two settings in one thread?

No

Just an idea of uniting all the Grognards.

We aren't grognards, are we? WFB has only been killed for what, two years? And the games and RPGs are still going strong.

Quite frankly, GW is missing out on a huge amount of marketing now that they aren't jealously hording the IP. Imagine how many people would be excited for the wargame if it was still active now.

I guess it's debatable, most people class a Grognard as somebody who plays an older edition but I guess AoS is a totally different game.

9th Age has really taken off in my area, unfortunately I'm not completely behind it.

I can't explain why WFB as a wargame, without using another ruleset, is so important to me, but it is. That's what I hope I'll manage to play, though I'm not too picky on the edition.

As a Bretonnian-fag, I feel like I know the differences between the dukedoms pretty well - Parravon has a preference for Pegasus Knights, Bordelaux has a stronger Manaan focus, etc. I generally know the differences between Imperial provinces too, which gods they hold in favor and what they specialize in.

But what about the Dwarf holds? What makes them distinct? Do Warhammer Dwarves ever feel too uniform in their tactics or mindset?

>Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar.
Can we bitch about how terrible AoS is?

I'm up for that.

The different Dwarf Holds DO have different flavors, especially in regards to their rulers. One is famous for having a lot of Slayers, one has better engineers, one has more gromril then any other hold so it has a shitload of Ironbreakers for example.
Some are way more isolated then others and therefore fight different enemies on an average basis then the regular dwarves, too; the guys in the Grey Mountains are more likely to fight Wood Elves and Bretonnians as much as they are orcs or goblins or the Empire.

No offense, but I've never liked 40k very much. By the time it's fluff got really distinct it took itself WAAAY too seriously for my tastes.

Barak Varr; it has a port, which actually makes it pretty important to Dwarf terms. Has an actual navy attached to it.
Karak Kadrin is the Slayer Keep and it has the Slayer King living there.
Karak Azul has the best iron deposits in the Old World.
Karak Drak is in Norsca so wow are they having a hard time of shit.
Karak Eight Peaks was possibly the greatest dwarf hold during their Golden Age and now is partially retaken by Belegar Ironhammer (aka " VENGEANCE INCARNAAAATE!") and surrounded by enemies but stubbornly holding on.
Karak Zorn is waaaay down in the Southlands and supposedly has insane wealth but for all the goddamn Savage Orcs and Lizardmen constantly besieging it.
Karaz-a-Karak is "Everpeak" and is basically the dwarf version of Altdorf; nominally in charge but in practice there's a lot of leeway involved with each hold.

What do you mean "the"? There's like five Elrics.

Most generic Holds differ more in personality and who they deal with than their army choices.

Most Holds generally have the same troops though unless its famous for something, like the Barak Varr navy, the Karak Kadrin Slayers, the Karak Norn Rangers, or the Zhufbar airforce. Aside from Karak Hirn I actually can't think of a Hold that would have less of anything in particular.

Check this page. Its unfinished, but the guys on 1d4 put in a lot of good work. I think its one of their best pages.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Dwarfs_(Warhammer_Fantasy)

>In 3392 Prince Gumli of Clan Kamerad and Princess Dertain are betrothed to celebrate 100 years of trade. Upon seeing her, he describes her as having "the face of a troll chewing a rock" and breaks off the marriage, keeping the dowry for "the wrongs that our eyes had to endure".

Damn, that's fucking cold.

Dwarfs don't fuck around when it comes to insults.

I want pictures, pictures of Imperial wizards.

There used to be the Amazons, an all female warrior tribe descendant of those fromthe Norse colony of Skeggi, who wield arcane weapons and seem to be at odds with the lizardmen. There were also the Pygmies, a bunch of humans the size of halflings who are cannibals and who the lizardmen dont like (coukd be because they hunt the Quetzatol)

I thought Karak Zorn had been wiped out by the lizardmen because one of their golden tablets said that they would be a problem

Which books give good setting info on Sylvania? I'm looking to create my own vampire-ruled kingdoms for a homebrew setting.

Night's Dark Masters for WFRP 2e is good. It's in the repositories somewhere.

Malekith, Teclis, Tyrion... Aenarion?

This is doubly insulting due to the nature of dwarf society, where marriagable women are highly sought after.