Is Proof of Work really the future, or will we see many cryptos move away from that and towards other alternatives?

Is Proof of Work really the future, or will we see many cryptos move away from that and towards other alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/tranman1411/status/942917415586865152
twitter.com/MituuToyo/status/942999250618802176
foldingcoin.net/the-coin/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mining

>blockchain

>proof of hodl

There's no way PoW makes it long-term with that kinda energy consumption (and anyone that thinks BTC's price is related to energy put in is retarded). Something will become the dominant force in crypto over time. Maybe proof of stake, maybe something else

Also good luck having an actual discussion about this shit on Veeky Forums

Proof of Stake is where it's at. Look into CLOAK. Fully anonymous security coin that is also environmentally friendly. Small market cap, coin can only increase in value. DYOR and google it, some are saying it's about to break out right now:

twitter.com/tranman1411/status/942917415586865152

twitter.com/MituuToyo/status/942999250618802176

checked, this is why Cloak and coins like it will do great in 2018. Totally anonymized coin, and also environmentally friends unlike Bitcoin. Normies will love it!

This. PoW will be toast in a few years, it just isn't sustainable.

shill your shitcoin somewhere else fag

proof of work when the work goes towards a purpose is the future for pow, as in all other forms will die out. heres a good example foldingcoin.net/the-coin/

PoW is complete shit, no need to even discuss that. PoS is good, but pretty unfair considering it gives all the voting power to the richest nodes. dPoS could be slightly better. The one used by XLM shows most promise IMO.

>dPoS could be slightly better.

Keeping my eye on that and Proof of Space and Time

not a shitcoin, it's literally better than any other privacy coin. Not even gonna shill, just google it. Quit FUDDING so you can get a low price

I'm not sure about pow long term, but i have a feeling that at least in the short (5 year) term, it will stay.

>PoW will be toast in a few years, it just isn't sustainable.

It's always interesting to see how adamant people are about PoW staying just because it was the first and is attached to BTC

this. we still haven't found a better alternative.

>pow is outdated
you're all fucking luddite brainlets, the miners secure the network, your proof of stake ponzi system will never win

Straight Proof of Work isn't the only way of reliably securing a network

Truth

How is BTC's mining not outdated? It's first gen crypto tech

One bump because I'm curious and want to get more opinions on this

I'm not too educated, i just mine because i have a real sickness when it comes to building pcs and rigs and mining lets the hobby feed itself. Unless lyra2re, equihash, etc etc, are significantly less secure that SHA 255, than yes BTC pow is outdated. These other algorithms make it somewhat harder to centralize hashing power. That said, as points out, we haven't found or been convinced by a better alternative to PoW. Byteball, iota (bullshit), posw, skycoin, xrb, peercoin, minerium, etc are working on this. We'll have to see. If anyone will pioneer a switch to something other than pow, it's probably eth when they implement casper (still pos + pow) only because it's visible. Maybe in the future well see proof of shit prove to be better than pow and be able to implement a fair monetary policy. Hope that answers your question.